Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

The pick is in.

Feb 2014

So just Silkster and BirdsOfParadise left!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    So just Silkster and BirdsOfParadise left!
    Silkster only missing, but it would be sad to miss the current season leader!

Silkster only missing, but it would be sad to miss the current season leader!
    I've got an hour, right? Or did I do my time zones wrong? I'm almost ready.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I've got an hour, right? Or did I do my time zones wrong? I'm almost ready.
    One hour you have, great to read you won't miss out :)

Well, now it actually is 19h00 CEST.
    I think I was in by 19h00m59. Maybe. Or maybe not, in which case, thanks for waiting

dte (TO) dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt GT23
    2-2. You can play Veldt and hold the War Zone in your hand to get you the final point of damage. And there's definitely no way you can tap City of Brass 10 times.

GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    6-0. By my count, you need 12+4+4+3 mana in order to do one damage once, so you can do that on turn 25. Since I don't kill until turn 27, you can stop me and kill me if I try to do so.

FTW Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT6
    2-2. I only have one castable spell, so I can't win if you hold onto the Elemental. I almost played Desecration Elemental this week, and I almost played Eladamri's Vineyard too. But not like this, and not together. This is really neat.

Dooey Warping Wail, Mindslaver, Frenzied Fugue, Mercadian Bazaar
    6-0. Wow, this is cool. It took me quite a few fun moments to figure out what was going on. And I had a few back and forth moments thinking that you can or can't beat me. So you wait until you have 16 or so counters, then Mindslaver me. You play the Fungal Reaches if I haven't already and then you tap me out so that I can't Avoid Fate the Frenzied Fugue. On your turn, you safely play Frenzied Fugue, and then you'll be able to make a 1/1 and kill me.

Asthereal: Dwarven Hold, Cursed Scroll, Apocalypse, Apex of Power
    6-0. A very cool use of randomness! So you get to do stuff on turn 12 when you can make 11 mana for Scroll + Apex. The fact that you have to wait another 11 4 turns to do anything doesn't hurt you cause 2 damage already ruins me.

Reeplcheep]Veldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12
    2-2. I only have one castable, so I DD against Desecration Elemental. You know, the more I look at how narrowly I avoided beating the Elemental, the more I think I should have played the Elemental.

Wrath of Pie - Saprazzan Skerry, Timberland Ruins, Impatience, Power Artifact GT: 13
    2-2. Oh damn! I've looked at Impatience a few times but never put this together. Luckily for me, if I play my threat, then your Impatience will hit me first. So we just stare.

RoosterCocoa]Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT13
    2-2. Ah, a build-your-own Desecration Elemental! Only one castable from me, which means that I can't attack you, so we stare.

jfb1337 Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT160
    6-0. Blood Artist means that you attack harder than I do, so I can never cast a spell. So I slowly die to... recasting the Sutured Ghoul to get Blood Artist triggers. This took me a while to find.

alphastryk: Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash
    6-0. You make Bootlegger's Stash on turn 12. In the next 8 turns, you make 16 treasures, use 6 to cast Citadel, then you have 10 to sacrifice. I initially forgot about Veldt making treasures instead of mana and in the version of reality it's so close that it might be WL.

FourDogsinaHorseSuit Brain in a Jar BiorythmPact of the TitanAncient Tomb GT9
    2-2. Pact of the Titan means that you can jump ahead on the last turn if I try to kill you. The pain from Ancient Tomb means that if you try to kill me then you will lose the race.

Symbi: City of Brass, Teferi's Isle, Drownyard Temple, Rath's Edge GT:80
    2-2. The fact that you can never do damage on consecutive turns (not even close!) means that you can't sneak a kill without me attacking while you're at 1. But if I ever play my threat, you casually kill it and then kill me with the token. So we stare.

BirdsOfParadise dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, Lava Tubes GT23
    2-2. Same as dte.

silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27[/QUOTE]
    Me, hoping that last minute inspiration would strike and then falling back on a simple single threat. It was a toss-up between this and a deck that looked pretty close to Symbi's in theory but was actually much much worse.

5WW, 8DD = 10W, 16D = 46 points.

I had a few ideas this week, but none of them seemed great. Moreover, I really had no idea what other people were going to do. Those 4x land decks are smart.
    Last edited by silkster; 09-13-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Feb 2014

Me. Last week it was scoring fine, and was beating one of the target decks. After two weeks not being able to submit a legal deck, I went for safety. Also, I wanted to play no spells as impatience was quite playable ;)

GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    0-6. Lage smashes gobs!

FTW Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT6
    6-0. elementaled – cheesed?

6-0. You steal one of my lands and win.

6-0. You could have played an unplayable over apocalypse?

6-0. Cheesed again

Wrath of Pie - Saprazzan Skerry, Timberland Ruins, Impatience, Power Artifact GT: 13
    6-0. Oops no spells number 4. Actually the only deck I expected, except the manabase.

RoosterCocoa Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT13
    6-0. Still no spells.

jfb1337 Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT160
    0-6. I am way faster.

alphastryk Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash
    6-0. Taking 10 before making Lage was good here ;) My GT is 23, T12 you cast stash, then for 8 turns you make 16 treasures and prevent I ever make Lage on T20.

6-0. No creature on my side.

0-6. The much better version of my deck. I expect this would do very well. I do not see what you do not 6-0, except 4dogs/horses?

2-2. Great mind think alike!

silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27
    6-0. Your life of the party steals my war zone, but even if it was a plain forest, you would kill me before I can have a marit lage.
    Edit: Damn, Silkster is right, and contested war zone is actually way worse than a basic :/

Well, it seems that the deck scores well – except the numerous mistakes I probably did. But I thought the great idea I had was contested war zone, and it was not relevant a single time, wastes in the same slot would have given the same score :/
    Last edited by dte; 09-13-2022 at 02:12 PM.

Well, it seems that the deck scores well – except the numerous mistakes I probably did. But I thought the great idea I had was contested war zone, and it was not relevant a single time, wastes in the same slot would have given the same score :/
    Contested War Zone actually costs you 4 points against me, cause you can play out the Veldt and hold the War Zone until the last turn to jump ahead in the race. So I can't cast my threat and we stare.

dte (TO) dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt
    2-0 Too fast, whoop whoop whoop
    2-0
    2-0 Mob sacrficies itself so I'll just kill you when it's not in play.
    4-0
    0-0-2 If I ever play the brain I lose, so you hold the Elemental until then we're deadlocked waiting for the other to act. Like last time
    4-0-2
    0-2 If I take an action you're going to use it against me with Fugue, including putting a 1/1 into play, but the Mindslver offers a clock to kill me.
    4-2-2
    2-0 I think the randomness rules mean I win (and therefore lose?) because you'll miss with the scroll.
    6-2-2
    1-0-1 On the Play I can race you, but on the draw I can't and have to hold back the Jar to kill demon.
    7-2-3
    0-0-2 If I tap to cast brain I'll die to Impatience. If I do nothing and you cast Impatience, then on the turn where I would die I instead cast pact and you die on your end step. So we agree to do nothing.
    7-2-5
    0-0-2 I have to hold back the brain so you can't hit me once, but you have to hold back the standstill so I can.
    7-2-7
    0-2 A blood artist? Scary.
    7-4-7
    2-0 You slow
    9-4-7
    Rolling it back is for cowards.

0-2 You can deal 2 damage one turn faster on the play thann I can cast Biorthym.
    9-4-9
    2-0 I already beat this this round.
    11-4-9
    silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27[/QUOTE]
    0-2 It takes you 7 turns to make a guy which means I can't win, so I have to do nothing and die to being a loser in the corner who didn't want to even go to this stupid party, god.
    11-6-9
    27 points.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Rolling it back is for cowards.

0-2 It takes you 7 turns to make a guy which means I can't win, so I have to do nothing and die to being a loser in the corner who didn't want to even go to this stupid party, god.
    Multiple opponents missing the same play makes me think that maybe I'm the one missing something, but if I try to win, can you just wait until your 19th attack, cast Pact of the Titan, then attack for 2 and kill me? So I lose if I try to make this party happen.

ReeplcheepVeldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12

Desecration elemental seemed very interesting from last round. Additionally, the test of endurance deck is even slower at casting its first spell so you can make the deck worse. I win if you can’t cast a spell before T12, which neither wastes nor test of endurance can do.

No spells WW 0-6

It doesn’t cost you anything to play charbeltcher ahead of time. LL 6-0

I can’t cast a spell before t9 and you don’t put my elemental in to block. LL 6-0
    Edit: I didn’t realize vineyard mana can be used for abilities. You let me suspend t1 if I want too, but then you just outwait it. Since elemental kills in 3 turns and hypergenesis has suspend 3 you kill me just in time if I stare t1. LL 6-0

Casting wail ahead of time doesn’t hurt you LL 6-0.
    Edit: casting mindslaver ahead of time doesn’t hurt you. You can use fugue to prevent me from suspending hypergenesis while also making colourless for you to cast wail. LL 6-0

Casting curses scroll before t12 doesn’t hurt you. LL 6-0
    But I would win the race if you cast apex. DD 2-2

The second threat wins, so we stare. DD 2-2

The second threat wins, so we stare. DD 2-2

Casting blood artist before t12 doesn’t hurt you. LL 6-0

Casting your cards doesn’t hurt but the earliest you can do it is t12. Is this our first WL? 3-3

The earliest I can make a creature is t9. LD 4-1
    Edit: biorhythm kills my creature and only checks on resolution. LL 6-0

No spells. WW 0-6

No spells. WW 0-6

The only castable spell is also your wincon. DD 2-2

7 W 8 D 11 L for 41/88. I expected a few no spell decks but not that many.
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 09-14-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Multiple opponents missing the same play makes me think that maybe I'm the one missing something, but if I try to win, can you just wait until your 19th attack, cast Pact of the Titan, then attack for 2 and kill me? So I lose if I try to make this party happen.
    There's 13 scenarios I have to go over and yours was the 13th. Sorry!

1. dte (TO): dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt GT:23

You need to take 10 damage, but I can only deal the remaining 10 by T40. LL 6-0, 6 total

2. GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT:177

You deal 1 damage to me before I can kill you, then I can't win. LL 6-0, 12 total

3. FTW: Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT:6

Oops no spells. LL 6-0, 18 total

4. Dooey: Warping Wail, Mindslaver, Frenzied Fugue, Mercadian Bazaar

You cast fugue on my Rath's edge on a turn where Teferi's isle is phased in (or in my hand) and use the mana to make a token. On my next turn, I can't activate Rath's edge as I don't have the mana from Teferi's isle. Then on your next turn you sac Rath's edge to its own ability, preventing me from using it to remove your token. LL 6-0, 24 total

5. Asthereal: Dwarven Hold, Cursed Scroll, Apocalypse, Apex of Power

You damage me before I can win. LL 6-0, 30 total

6. Reeplcheep: Veldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT:12

Oops no spells again. LL 6-0, 36 total

7. Wrath of Pie: Saprazzan Skerry, Timberland Ruins, Impatience, Power Artifact GT:13

I still have no spells. Edit: If you cast impatience, I can always sneak the last damage through before the trigger on my end step; however if you wait until we are at 2 you can kill me with impatience then. Therefore we stare. DD 2-2, 38 total

8. RoosterCocoa: Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT:13

I continue not having any spells (Also standstill will have 2 toughness so I can't remove it). LL 6-0, 44 total

9. jfb1337: Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT:160

I can remove your threats but my life total will be too low to win. Edit: dte is correct here. LL 6-0, 50 total

10. alphastryk: Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash

You can make 16 treasures and hit me for 10 before I can win. LL 6-0, 56 total

11. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: Brain in a Jar BiorythmPact of the TitanAncient Tomb GT:9

I can deal 2 before T9. As for casting pact, it doesn't work. The token doesn't have haste, and if it is cast during a previous turn to avoid summoning sickness, FourDogs will just die to pact. In silkster's case, however, pact does work. WW 0-6, 56 total

12. Symbi: City of Brass, Teferi's Isle, Drownyard Temple, Rath's Edge GT:80

That's me!

13. BirdsOfParadise dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, Lava Tubes GT:23

Same as dte. LL 6-0, 62 total

14. silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT:27

If I start pinging, you can wait until we are both at 1 life. Then it will be my turn, but Teferi's isle will be out of play (Assume I ping during your end step). During your turn, you cast Life of the party and swing. Then I have to block, and next turn I can't activate Rath's edge as I will need to get drownyard temple back so you just kill me. However, if you play your creature too early, I can just remove it then beat down with my token. So we just stare. Edit: Illegal deck. N/A 0-0, 62 total
    Last edited by Symbi; 09-14-2022 at 03:32 AM.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    9. jfb1337: Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT:160

I can remove your threats but my life total will be too low to win. DD 2-2, 50 total

12. Symbi: City of Brass, Teferi's Isle, Drownyard Temple, Rath's Edge GT:80

That's me!
    You actually cannot remove the threats, as blood artist can be played once you are at 1 life and isle is phased out.
    If you do not lose life, staring, you take 20 in one turn when isle is phased out.

Sep 2011

Too many players played around Desecration Elemental. I really should have gone with my other idea. I almost switched last night, then didn't.

1. dte (TO): You don't have spells. WW 0-6
    2. GoblinSmashmaster: You can store infinite mana and still cast spells after you start winning. LL 6-0
    3. Dooey: If I do nothing, you would have to Mindslaver me to force out Citadel -> Vineyard, and use your remaining 2 cards to make a 1/1, so instead you save them to kill Elemental. DD 2-2
    4. Asthereal: Nice tech against Elemental. To kill it, you have to play Apocalypse and kill your own Scroll. DD 2-2
    5. Reeplcheep: Nice mirror tech. You can't cast a spell for 3 turns after I play my Elemental, so you can't stop me from winning. WW 0-6
    6. Wrath of Pie: Impatience kills me, since I deal myself 6 damage to cast spells, and you can Power Artifact Helm to kill the Elemental. LL 6-0
    7. RoosterCocoa: We both cast spells, so neither of us can win. DD 2-2
    8. jfb1337: My ramp lets you stop Elemental in time. You store infinite mana, cast Liliana, +1 1000 times, Blood Artist, then you cast Sutured Ghoul every turn. LL 6-0
    9. alphastryk: My ramp lets you stop Elemental in time. You store infinite mana, cast Bootlegger's Stash, make 1000 treasures. When you cast Citadel you win in 2 turns, racing Elemental. LL 6-0
    10. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: Same as before. DD 2-2
    11. Symbi: You don't have spells. WW 0-6
    12. BirdsOfParadise: You don't have spells. WW 0-6
    13. silkster: You can't cast Avoid Fate, so you can't win, but you can stop me. DD 2-2

34 points (8 loss, 10 draw, 8 win)

My other idea scored over 60 points, too bad.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-13-2022 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

Casting wail ahead of time doesn’t hurt you LL 6-0
    Objection! If you just don't play your Steppe, Dooey must use all three spells to make a threat. Then your elemental just outraces so this should be DD 2-2.
    Edit: Ignore this. You can just burn storage counters preventing the elemental from being cast

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    There's 13 scenarios I have to go over and yours was the 13th. Sorry!
    Certainly no need to be sorry. I see now that I sounded annoyed, but I'm really unsure of myself. I mean, a few weeks ago I misread an entire sentence into my own card and it changed my score from like 56 down to 24. And I've never even seen a physical copy of a card with Goad, so I was worried that maybe I was misreading that or something. This format by its very nature pushes everything right to the edge, and it's so easy to tip over that edge and everything breaks. My original version of this deck had a green depletion land, but I realized that I could slow myself down by a few turns against a deck that somehow has an instant-type or aura-type kill spell if I sub it out for one that makes other colours instead, but then I worried for a moment (this was at 18h59 CET) that I actually couldn't beat the Pemmin's Aura. Magic is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

Casting curses scroll before t12 doesn’t hurt you. LL 6-0

Casting your cards doesn’t hurt but the earliest you can do it is t12. Is this our first WL? 3-3
    Asthereal has to cast both Scroll an Apex to start doing damage, so if you hold the Hypergenesis until then, Asthereal can't win. DD

As I was doing the math for an incorrect line, I almost thought I was WL against Bolas' Citadel, and it was an exciting thought. I don't think this is WL though because alphastryk can play Bootlegger's Stash off the the Hypergensis and use it to get the Citadel out faster. Bad news is that we still have no WL. Good news for you is that you're LL, 6-0 here instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

3. Dooey: You can steal my Tarnished Citadel to cast Warping Wail and win, while holding back Mindslaver to kill Desecration Elemental. LL 6-0
    If you don't play the Tarnished Citadel, Dooey has to spend the Mindslaver to force it out in order to steal it and make the 1/1. But then doing that would lose to the Elemental. So neither of you does anything.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Oops all lands"

Lage smash! 6-0

That's me on Goblin combo!

Goblin smash :( 0-6

Goblin stare 2-2

Scroll smash! 6-0

Impatient 6-0

Ghoul smash! 6-0

Bolas smash! 6-0

Titan smash! 6-0

Edge smash! 6-0

Lage smash! 6-0

Total: 50 points

Thread Information