Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    Does the dungeon mechanic work in 4CB?

On one hand, the dungeons are technically cards that get brought into the game from outside the game. On the other hand, they're always available in every game (and the physical dungeon cards act like tokens in that you don't need to have the real thing with you, just be able to represent its state).
    Dungeons aren't cards

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Also, for one welcome our new overlord! I wonder if having to make a deck do early will disrupt your reign, and perhaps Asthereal with time to think might rise to the top.
    To be fair, if I wanted, I could just spend a full night analysing the meta and tweaking my deck, and open the round a day later.
    In later seasons I didn't really play to my full strength, but that was more because of other things in life taking up time.

But it's a disadvantage to a point, as you can't use a great idea that comes up right before the deadline. That happened to me a few times.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Dungeons aren't cards
    The rules refer to them as cards

701.46a If a player is instructed to venture into the dungeon while they don’t own a dungeon card in
    the command zone, they choose a dungeon card they own from outside the game and put it into
    the command zone. They put their venture marker on the topmost room. See rule 309,
    “Dungeons.”

Feb 2014

The dungeon mechanic works.

We had decks with it (alluren/lich combo), and no one batted an eye about it.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    There are already seven submissions, and quite inventive decks!
    Now I am a little bit less happy with my submission :/
    I suspect having to create a deck and stick with it from the beginning is a sizable disadvantage - I often came up with my best decks late in the week after iterating through several other ideas.

Some questions about how we handle mistakes:

Replacing banned cards with basics may lead to the deck no longer beating any of the target decks. Simple option: in that case they get 0 season points. Fun solution: replace banned cards with black lotus if a mana producer and Retrofitter foundry otherwise instead of a basic.

There is also the question if people incorrectly calculate the matchup vs the target deck. One of my drafts for this round actually was DD instead of WW before I caught it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Some questions about how we handle mistakes:

Replacing banned cards with basics may lead to the deck no longer beating any of the target decks. Simple option: in that case they get 0 season points. Fun solution: replace banned cards with black lotus if a mana producer and Retrofitter foundry otherwise instead of a basic.

There is also the question if people incorrectly calculate the matchup vs the target deck. One of my drafts for this round actually was DD instead of WW before I caught it.
    Lotus Field (4 Free)
    Or Memnite

Feb 2014

I proposed to be attributed randomly a legal deck from previous round?

Foundry is sure to WW vs everything.

How about the most winning legal deck from the prior round? “Rolling” the most losing non-banned deck might leave bad tastes in people’s mouths as that is the default best choice.

Feb 2014

How about the most winning legal deck from the prior round? “Rolling” the most losing non-banned deck might leave bad tastes in people’s mouths as that is the default best choice.
    That would require to compute them all.
    Getting at best by random the default choice is ok, no?

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    That would require to compute them all.
    Getting at best by random the default choice is ok, no?
    Most winning as in the one that got the least points; furthest from being banned.

Feb 2014

Most winning as in the one that got the least points; furthest from being banned.
    That doesn't mean legal :)
    Very likely, but not necessarily. Additionally, it would make it useful to try to lose against this deck that would be known beforehand, as it is likely to be played.

How important is it to get the correct goldfish turn? As I have a couple deck ideas that may involve some complex lines of play.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    How important is it to get the correct goldfish turn? As I have a couple deck ideas that may involve some complex lines of play.
    I suspect fairly important as it may be the primary way to determine matchup winners

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I suspect fairly important as it may be the primary way to determine matchup winners
    Is the goldfish turn the number of turns to beat the target deck or in general?
    Because I submitted my deck based on the target.

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Is the goldfish turn the number of turns to beat the target deck or in general?
    Because I submitted my deck based on the target.
    I believe it's to beat a literal goldfish, so in general for GT but you also need to describe how you beat the target deck.

Sep 2011

To reduce workload on the organizer, we should all do the math for our own decks to calculate both the goldfish turn (GT) and how you beat the target deck (if racing, then what turn). There may be some mistakes that get corrected later, but it's less work to figure out the results if most GTs are done in advance.

To handle mistakes with banned cards, we should also do something that minimizes work on the organizer. If we select a random deck from the last round, does there have to be deck validation to make sure it WW against the target deck?

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

The simplest answer if your deck is either banned or fails to beat the target deck is to eliminate your entry for that round. Its no fun for the person making the mistake but all the other answers add a lot of complexity for this season.

The results from the previous round would determine which decks have a WW record vs a target deck and thus are eligible for resubmission
    You could get into a situation where there are no available decks to choose from however; such as if every WW deck happened to contain a card that got banned that round.

Hey, I think I could manage to win against everyone this time!

Edit: I'll submit something at least for the first round. Since this kind of thing is a lot of work for the organizer, I'd support illegal decks simply getting 0 points. Of course dte may choose to be more lenient.

Thread Information