Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Feb 2014

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    7 W 6 D 13 L for 45/88. I expected a few no spell decks but not that many.
    I think you overestimate elemental: against Dooey or Asthereal shouldn't it be DD?

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    That's me on Goblin combo!
    I didn't realize that you managed to do this while reading the lists. Well done!

Wrath of Pie - Saprazzan Skerry, Timberland Ruins, Impatience, Power Artifact GT: 13
    Impatient 6-0
    Just being able to cast one non-artifact stops Impatience from killing you, so if Wrath plays Impatience, casting the Mob once wins you the game. So Wrath can't play Impatience. And after storing 152 counters, you'll be playing a spell every turn to win. WW

GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    That's me on Goblin combo!

Symbi: City of Brass, Teferi's Isle, Drownyard Temple, Rath's Edge GT:80
    Edge smash! 6-0

Total: 50 points
    Objection! I must lose 1 life each time I activate Rath's edge. This means you only need to hit me once to stop me from winning, which you can do on T26 without disrupting yourself. This is much faster than my win on T80.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    Objection! I must lose 1 life each time I activate Rath's edge. This means you only need to hit me once to stop me from winning, which you can do on T26 without disrupting yourself. This is much faster than my win on T80.
    I just realized that you're channelling your inner Ace Attorney, and it makes these corrections hilarious. Perhaps I should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Certainly no need to be sorry. I see now that I sounded annoyed, but I'm really unsure of myself. I mean, a few weeks ago I misread an entire sentence into my own card and it changed my score from like 56 down to 24. And I've never even seen a physical copy of a card with Goad, so I was worried that maybe I was misreading that or something. This format by its very nature pushes everything right to the edge, and it's so easy to tip over that edge and everything breaks. My original version of this deck had a green depletion land, but I realized that I could slow myself down by a few turns against a deck that somehow has an instant-type or aura-type kill spell if I sub it out for one that makes other colours instead, but then I worried for a moment (this was at 18h59 CET) that I actually couldn't beat the Pemmin's Aura. Magic is hard.
    Oh my bad, I read some tone into your post that wasn't there.

Wrath of Pie - Saprazzan Skerry, Timberland Ruins, Impatience, Power Artifact GT: 13

dte (TO) dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt GT23 - WW
    GoblinSmashmaster: Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177 - LL
    FTW Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT6 - WW
    Dooey Warping Wail, Mindslaver, Frenzied Fugue, Mercadian Bazaar - WW - Frenzied Fugue is clever in exploiting dte's choice of having to beat quad-Wastes.
    Asthereal: Dwarven Hold, Cursed Scroll, Apocalypse, Apex of Power - DD
    Reeplcheep]Veldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12 - DD
    RoosterCocoa]Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT13 - DD
    jfb1337 Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT160 - LL
    alphastryk Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash - WW
    FourDogsinaHorseSuit Brain in a Jar BiorythmPact of the TitanAncient Tomb GT9 - DD
    Symbi: City of Brass, Teferi's Isle, Drownyard Temple, Rath's Edge GT:80 - DD
    BirdsOfParadise dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, Lava Tubes GT23 - WW
    silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27 - DD - How exactly does this beat Pemmin's Aura enchanting the token?

4l12d = 24 points

I blundered badly by focusing on building around Impatience, it's not good when you have to play a second castable so Desecration Elemental is the better version of it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27 - DD - How exactly does this beat Pemmin's Aura enchanting the token?
    Very good point. Avoid Fate can't counter Pemmin's Aura enchanting opponent's 0/1 token. It can use U: untap and 1: -1/+1 to block silk's attacker and tilt the race. It would only take 1-2 blocks to tilt the race in opponent's favor, then silk can't profitably attack without losing to counter attacks.

Is silk's deck illegal then?

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon seas

I score the same as dte, whose idea last round was better than anything I could devise for this round.

Edit: I am on mobile with no computer access for several days. Can someone edit the spreadsheet in R4 so that I score 2 pt against Reep? Right now I’m incorrectly scoring 6. The flip side of the matchup is already entered correctly.

Feb 2014

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon seas

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Edit: I am on mobile with no computer access for several days. Can someone edit the spreadsheet in R4 so that I score 2 pt against Reep? Right now I’m incorrectly scoring 6. The flip side of the matchup is already entered correctly.
    Done.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Very good point. Avoid Fate can't counter Pemmin's Aura enchanting opponent's 0/1 token. It can use U: untap and 1: -1/+1 to block silk's attacker and tilt the race. It would only take 1-2 blocks to tilt the race in opponent's favor, then silk can't profitably attack without losing to counter attacks.

Is silk's deck illegal then?
    Yup, looks illegal to me. And here I was just talking about those times that I've royally screwed up various rounds. Add this to the list of "imagine extra sentences" and "submit banned card". Even more sadly, there's a simple swap that would have fixed it and changed no matches whatsoever. :(

RoosterCocoa]Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT13

dte (TO) dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt GT23
    You have all lands. WW

You can hold Charbelcher while you build up a lot of storage counters, then once you have enough to play all of your cards, activate Charbelcher enough to kill me, and a bit extra, you play all of your permanents and from the next turn onward start killing me with Charbelcher. If I ever try to play Standstill, you can take a turn off of using Charbelcher to instead cast Boggart Mob, and then go back to killing me next turn. LL

FTW Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT6
    Neither of us plays our threats. DD

Dooey Warping Wail, Mindslaver, Frenzied Fugue, Mercadian Bazaar
    Unfortunately for me, Opalescence doesn't affect auras, so you can't win and I can't keep Standstill in play as long as you don't cast anything beforehand. DD

Asthereal: Dwarven Hold, Cursed Scroll, Apocalypse, Apex of Power
    You can hold Cursed Scroll to kill my Standstill until you have a lot of storage counters. You then cast Apex of Power and Cursed Scroll, and activate Cursed Scroll each turn, which outraces my 2/2. LL

Reeplcheep]Veldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12
    Neither of us puts a threat into play. DD

If I play Opalescence, you win with your 4/4 Impatience, so I don't. If you play Impatience, I can play Black Lotus and sacrifice it so you can't cast Power Artifact, so I win. Therefore we do nothing. DD

jfb1337 Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT160
    You save up a bunch of mana and kill me in one turn. If I ever play Standstill, you can just play Blood Artist and then slowly kill me. LL

alphastryk Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash
    You can first case a spell on turn 13. This means I race you OTP, but OTD if I play Standstill you win, so I hold it. You can then play Bootleggers' Stash, and build up treasures. I still lose if I play Standstill now, since you can easily cast Bolas' Citadel before I kill you. You eventually build up enough treasures to cast Bolas' Citadel and activate it, then activate it again the next turn, so I lose. WL

FourDogsinaHorseSuit Brain in a Jar BiorythmPact of the TitanAncient Tomb GT9
    If you try to build up counters on Brain in a Jar I win since you damage yourself, so you just hold Brain in a Jar and I can't win. DD

All lands. WW

BirdsOfParadise dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, Lava Tubes GT23
    All lands. WW

silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27
    Illegal entry.

7W 10D 7L = 31

Looks like I should have waited for the all lands decks to get banned before playing Standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    2-0 I think the randomness rules mean I win (and therefore lose?) because you'll miss with the scroll.
    6-2-2
    The problem is that Asthereal made the minor mistake of playing a card with relevant text. If you play your ancient tomb, apocalypse can just force a draw.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    The problem is that Asthereal made the minor mistake of playing a card with relevant text. If you play your ancient tomb, apocalypse can just force a draw.
    Yes, a minor mistake that makes it totally impossible to 6-0 anyone :/

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post

Dooey Warping Wail, Mindslaver, Frenzied Fugue, Mercadian Bazaar - WW - Frenzied Fugue is clever in exploiting dte's choice of having to beat quad-Wastes.
    Frenzied fugue is indeed clever, but still castable. Shouldn't it be DD?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Yes, a minor mistake that makes it totally impossible to 6-0 anyone :/
    Eh, you guys take this too seriously.

I wanted to play a cool card. That was a bad idea. Cool cards do cool things, which doesn't work in this format.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Eh, you guys take this too seriously.
    We take it extremely seriously, but still have a hard time managing to send legal decks, you are actually now in the minority that never sent an illegal deck ;)

Losing is incredibly serious business.

Having messed up this round by simply not playing intervene, I'd like to request that Life of the Party be banned anyway. We're already playing a little fast and loose with banned list, and it was a very good bad threat that would have scored 3.5 if I'd had the sense to notice that Pemmin's Aura is a buff as well as a kill spell. It would make me feel better and I also really don't want to metagame against it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Frenzied fugue is indeed clever, but still castable. Shouldn't it be DD?
    Frenzied Fugue can also steal opponent's land and empty all storage counters every turn, preventing opponent from casting any spells. So I think it will lead to a lot of DD.

It can also force Rath's Edge to sacrifice to itself or create Marit Lage from opponent's Dark Depths (after storing enough mana).

Sep 2011

ReeplcheepVeldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12

Desecration elemental seemed very interesting from last round. Additionally, the test of endurance deck is even slower at casting its first spell so you can make the deck worse. I win if you can’t cast a spell before T12, which neither wastes nor test of endurance can do.
    I noticed the same but approached it the opposite way. Even with Eladamri's Vineyard and Helm of Awakening, they can't cast Test of Endurance until T7! Most other decks would be sped up by that mana. But in this round, slowing down paid off more than ramping opponents.

Casting wail ahead of time doesn’t hurt you LL 6-0
    Doeey doesn't have colorless mana to cast Warping Wail. If you do nothing, Dooey must use Mindslaver + Frenzied Fugue to get access to your Saltcrusted Steppe just to cast Warping Wail. But then Dooey has no spells left and loses to Desecration Elemental. So you both do nothing. Same as my matchup. DD 2-2

Edit: I'm wrong. After taking your Steppe, you can't store mana to cast Hypergenesis so the 1/1 token will win. If you try to cast Hypergenesis first, Elemental still loses to any spell.

dte (TO) dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, veldt GT23
    LL 6-0 You're faster

WW 0-6 I'm faster

FTW Tarnished Citadel, Eladamri's Vineyard, Helm of Awakening, Desecration Elemental GT6
    WW 0-6 I can hold back my spells until I have enough mana to win in one turn

DD 2-2 If I ever have 6 counters on my land and you have 14, if I haven't played lilliana then you can mindslaver, make me play her + blood artist, have me -3 her, then on my turn take her with fugue and -1 her to death. If I play lilliana earlier, then you can take fugue her and ensure she's always under 3 loyalty on my turn, so I can't win. So we stare.

LL 6-0 You can always hold up scroll to kill my blood artist at instant speed so I can't go off; and you can scroll me end of turn.

Reeplcheep]Veldt, Salt-Crusted Steppe, Hypergenesis, Desecration Elemental GT12

RoosterCocoa]Svyelunite Temple, Black Lotus, Opalescence, Standstill GT13

jfb1337 Bottomless Vault Liliana, Untouched by Death Sutured Ghoul Blood Artist GT160
    That's me!

alphastryk Molten Slagheap, Veldt, Bolas's Citadel, Bootleggers' Stash
    LL 6-0 You're faster

FourDogsinaHorseSuit Brain in a Jar BiorythmPact of the TitanAncient Tomb GT9
    WW 0-6 My blood artist prevents me from losing to biorythm

WW 0-6 Like dte said I can win on a turn where isle is phased out, and if you try damage me then win when you're at 1 life

BirdsOfParadise dark depths, contested war zone, city of brass, Lava Tubes GT23
    LL 6-0 You're faster

silkster: Land Cap, Fungal Reaches, Life of the Party, Avoid Fate, GT: 27
    Illegal deck

Total: 6L 2D 16W = 20

Thread Information