Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Feb 2014

Re: 4CBS13: a 4-cards blind backbuild bannathon season

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Perhaps others missed it as well.
    I guess it's because our two posts were at more or less the same time. But deadline in 8h!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I guess it's because our two posts were at more or less the same time. But deadline in 8h!
    I sent a deck just now.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

I just want to know how many of you are using flailers anyways? Trying to trick us into thinking they're not good enough.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I just want to know how many of you are using flailers anyways? Trying to trick us into thinking they're not good enough.
    Nah, I got somethin' waaay more powerful. Banned in legacy powerful, in fact. Probably way too good, but sod it.

Also, thanks dte for catching the error in my deck. The wrong land meant my deck would have been illegal. Fixed it now.
    There goes my clean sheet streak of sending legal decks...
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    Nah, I got somethin' waaay more powerful. Banned in legacy powerful, in fact. Probably way too good, but sod it.
    Flashing in a beanstalk giant ?

Feb 2014

Three hours before deadline, and missing Silkster, alphastryk, and goblinsmash!!

I think I fucked up

What happened to my submission?

dte(TO), change of heart, tarnished citadel, icatian store, Varchild's war-riders, GT480
    LL to charge land.

FTW, Saprazzan Cove, Reality Twist, Helm of the Gods, Civilized Scholar, GT 600
    LL to charge land.

Reeplcheep, Saprazzan Skerry, Mirrodin’s Core, Impatience, Aura Barbs GT: 13
    WW against the limited mana deck.*

Symbi, Timberland Ruins, Dwarven Ruins, Impatience, Remove Enchantments, GT:13
    WW against the limited mana deck.

FourDogsinaHorseSuit, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon Mage-Ring Network Doubling Cube Fall of the Titans
    LL to charge land.

RoosterCocoa, Barbarian Ring, Shivan Gorge, Tranquil Cove, River Delta
    WW to limited mana deck. I considered playing a gain land and Mana Confluence or something similar to mimic City of Brass.

Wrath of Pie, Lava Tubes, Fungal Reaches, Flailing Manticore, Phage the Untouchable, GT: 13
    LL. Lava Tubes + Fungal reaches is able to make 5 mana on turn 10, and it takes me until turn 11 to win, so I can't win, and eventually lose to mana superiority.
    It occurs to me that this deck has to potential to make for some of the most complicated matches I've ever seen, though I haven't though about any of your specific matches this round.

BirdsOfParadise, Aura Extraction, Bog Wreckage, Impatience, Remote Farm
    WW against limited mana.

Dooey, Jötun Grunt, Codex Shredder, Icatian Store, Ajani, Wise Counselor
    LL I assume, though I haven't actually figured out how you win yet.**

jfb1337, Dwarven Hold, Reito Lantern, Brass's Bounty, Bolas's Citadel
    LL to charge land.

Asthereal, Saprazzan Cove, Mental Misstep, Envelop, Rod of Ruin
    LL to charge land. Two counterspells to counter Cursed Scroll and Apocalypse to allow you to be as slow as you like is hilarious.

GoblinSmashmaster, Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    LL to charge land.

Silkster, Lotus Bloom, Hypergenesis, Flailing Manticore, Maniacal Rage[/QUOTE]
    That's me, having had no time, so submitting the thing that the comments told me to submit. The Lotus Bloom + Hypergenesis engine is something I almost played a round or two ago with Desecration Elemental and it would have been pretty good. So when I started thinking about a Flailing deck, I got to this one immediately. I looked for a while to see if there was a better choice than Maniacal Rage, but I needed at least +2 toughness and at least +2 power to live through 4x Wastes and to continue to deal damage through 4x Wastes, and they just don't print many pumping auras with drawbacks. Call of the Full Moon was about the only one I could find, and the extra power didn't matter against depletion land + storage land, but I was worried about decks that used painlands to add storage counters and didn't have time to do the math and I figured it would be very rare for someone to cast two spells in a turn anyway. Hopefully my deck is legal this time. I'm still a little worried after last week.

6W + 16L for 48 points. Much better than I was expecting.

*Which deck does this beat? It loses to Frenzied Fugue + Warping Wail. It loses to Cursed Scroll. Against the Impatience + Power Artifact deck, if you play out Impatience, then the opposing deck waits until the life totals are 2-2 before casting their own Impatience, and you can't live through your turn.

*Cast Ajani (T6), +2, +2, -9. Cast Codex Shredder, rebuy Ajani (T13). Cast Ajani +2 (T18), +2. Cast Grunt and Ajani -9 (T21). Then you can get one Grunt attack for 28 (T22).

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    What happened to my submission?
    À copy paste error, I added it now.

1. dte(TO), change of heart, tarnished citadel, icatian store, Varchild's war-riders, GT480

If I cast my impatience, you wait until we are both at 6, then cast your creature, putting you down to 3. If I don't cast remove enchantments on my turn, I go to 4, then on your next turn you cast change of heart on my creature and swing. I am dead on board regardless of whether or not I block, even if I remove enchantments next turn. I can only deal 1 damage on the crackback, and casting change of heart avoids the impatience trigger, so I lose in this scenario. If I do cast remove enchantments, you swing on your next turn and I die in three turns maximum. I can deal at most 4 damage in those three turns, but I have to chump block to survive and you can stop 1 attack with change of heart, so I actually deal only 2 damage. If I don't cast impatience, you just execute your gameplan as usual. LL 6-0, 6 total.

2. FTW, Saprazzan Cove, Reality Twist, Helm of the Gods, Civilized Scholar, GT 600

If I cast impatience, you cast scholar and I am forced to remove enchantments. Then I die to your gameplan. If I don't cast impatience, I just die to your gameplan anyway. LL 6-0, 12 total.

3. Symbi, Timberland Ruins, Dwarven Ruins, Impatience, Remove Enchantments, GT:13

That's me!

4. FourDogsinaHorseSuit, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon Mage-Ring Network Doubling Cube Fall of the Titans

You cast doubling cube to survive impatience and kill me with fall of the titans. LL 6-0, 18 total.

5. RoosterCocoa, Barbarian Ring, Shivan Gorge, Tranquil Cove, River Delta

If I let impatience stick, you can ping me once, then kill me when I am at 1 life. So I just cast impatience and remove it next turn. This leaves you with a life total too low to win. DD 2-2, 20 total.

6. Wrath of Pie, Lava Tubes, Fungal Reaches, Flailing Manticore, Phage the Untouchable, GT: 13

I epically flail to stop your manticore. LL 6-0, 26 total.

7. BirdsOfParadise, Aura Extraction, Bog Wreckage, Impatience, Remote Farm

If I cast impatience first, you can just remove it. If you cast impatience first, I cast remove enchantments and you are forced to remove your own impatience. DD 2-2, 28 total.

8. Dooey, Jötun Grunt, Codex Shredder, Icatian Store, Ajani, Wise Counselor

Your loop involves continually casting spells. LL 6-0, 34 total.

9. jfb1337, Dwarven Hold, Reito Lantern, Brass's Bounty, Bolas's Citadel

Another loop of continual spellcasting. LL 6-0, 40 total.

10. Asthereal, Saprazzan Cove, Mental Misstep, Envelop, Rod of Ruin

Rod of Ruin too OP. LL 6-0, 46 total.

11. GoblinSmashmaster, Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177

If I cast impatience, you cast charbelcher. If I hold impatience, you store enough mana to cast boggart mob every turn before casting charbelcher. LL 6-0, 52 total.

12. Silkster, Lotus Bloom, Hypergenesis, Flailing Manticore, Maniacal Rage

I continue to epically flail. LL 6-0, 58 total.

Edit: I copy-pasted this before Reeplcheep's deck was put up, but I think silkster is right and the deck is illegal anyway

The idea behind this list was A: I still don’t think copycat decks should be legal, but if you can’t beat them join them. And B: I couldn’t figure out a flailing deck, but thought if I have less than 4 mana sources I should be fine against those who did.

I beat the Wastes deck by casting impatience and waiting. I beat the OG impatience deck by casting aura barbs if both players have impatience out, netting myself a turn.
    I will win against decks that have no non-enchantment castables before t13.

dte(TO), change of heart, tarnished citadel, icatian store, Varchild's war-riders, GT480
    Buyback is very strong against impatience but requires a target. Varchild into change of heart the following turn should work once we both are at 4. LL 0-6

Casting helm ahead of time is easy and doesn’t hurt you. LL 0-6

The pseudo mirror. If I definitely can’t win since then you have more castables than me. I believe you can’t win either because aura barbs without an enchantment is too strong. DD 2-2

FourDogsinaHorseSuit, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon Mage-Ring Network Doubling Cube Fall of the Titans
    If I force your hand, you can cast doubling cube in time. This stops your wincon but I will kill myself.. LL 6-0.

I can’t beat tranquil cove, pass. If you try to win I can’t stop you from leaving me on an even life total and you on a odd one so I would die to my own impatience. LL 6-0

Wrath of Pie, Lava Tubes, Fungal Reaches, Flailing Manticore, Phage the Untouchable, GT: 13
    Only 3 mana sources. LL 6-0

Essentially the same as symbi. DD 2-2

Very slow, impressive. You can cast codex shredder early and often, not to mention gain 1 life on turn 9 ish. LL 6-0

You have several cards you can cast before t13. LL 6-0

Envelop on Aura Barbs is kinda funny. I can’t race rod if it’s down and I can’t kill you before you cast it. LL 6-0

GoblinSmashmaster, Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    Casting charbeltcher or mob ahead of time isn’t an issue for you. LL 6-0

Silkster, Lotus Bloom, Hypergenesis, Flailing Manticore, Maniacal Rage
    Only 3 mana sources. LL 6-0

0 W 4 D 20 L for 64/72

My best performance yet, only drawing the pseudo-mirror. I may have miscalculated some matchups though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post

I beat the Wastes deck by casting impatience and waiting. I beat the OG impatience deck by casting aura barbs if both players have impatience out, netting myself a turn.
    Yes, but how do you beat silkster's line?

Me: BirdsOfParadise, Aura Extraction, Bog Wreckage, Impatience, Remote Farm

(*) dte(TO), change of heart, tarnished citadel, icatian store, Varchild's war-riders, GT480
    A tricky one to start out with. Let's assume I move first and play Impatience. Then you wait until the turn when you are at 6 life and I am at 6 life.
    dte [At 6 life]: Play Varchild's War-Riders, going down to 3 life from Tarnished Citadel.
    BoP [At 6 life]: Pass, go to 4 life from Impatience. (Scenario B: Play Aura Extraction this turn. Still at 6 life.)
    dte: Create 1/1 token for BoP. Attack with Varchild's War-Riders. BoP at 1 life (in Scenario B, BoP at 3 life). Postcombat, cast Change of Heart on a creature to avoid losing life to Impatience. dte still at 3 life. (In Scenario B, don't cast anything; dte still at 3 life.)
    BoP: Cast Aura Extraction or else die at EoT (in Scenario B, hang out at 3 life). Attack with a 1/1, so dte is at 2 life.
    dte: Create two 1/1 tokens for BoP. Attack with Varchild's War-Riders. BoP is at 1, so BoP is dead. (Scenario B: BoP is at 3 and stays alive by blocking with one token. BoP is at 1.)
    (Everything is Scenario B now. In Scenario B, Impatience is gone and dte hasn't used Change of Heart)
    BoP: BoP has two tokens (three generated so far, one had to block). dte is at 2 life. Thus, dte must use Change of Heart, then BoP swings with one token. Now dte is at 1.
    dte: Create three 1/1 tokens for BoP. Attack with Varchild's War-Riders for lethal.

Combat math note: One token blocking VWR is equivalent to infinity tokens blocking VWR because it has trample and rampage 1. Unblocked it deals 3 damage, blocked it deals 2.

This is what happens if BoP takes the lead by casting Impatience. If BoP takes the lead at a later time, this scenario plays out the same way except dte has more mana. If BoP never takes the lead, dte has infinite mana and can use VWR as a win condition when ready, and Impatience won't matter because dte has ininite mana to reuse Change of Heart.

dte, what do you think? I haven't actually done the math on whether you can buyback Change of Heart in this timeline but it doesn't matter, if my logic is correct. Please see if my logic is correct...
    Edit: Nice, Symbi agrees ;)

LL (0 + 6 pt = 6 pt)

(*) FTW, Saprazzan Cove, Reality Twist, Helm of the Gods, Civilized Scholar, GT 600
    If I move first, you cast a spell and win. If I don't move, you amass infinite mana and can establish a clock. Aura Extraction won't stop your win.
    LL (6 + 6 pt = 12 pt)

(*) Reeplcheep, Saprazzan Skerry, Mirrodin’s Core, Impatience, Aura Barbs GT: 13
    If I lead with Impatience, then you wait until we're both at 4 life.
    Reep [at 4 life]: Aura Barbs --- both of us at 2
    BoP [at 2 life]: Aura Extraction own Impatience or else die
    Reep [at 2 life]: Cast Impatience
    BoP [at 2 life]: die
    So I can't win. You also can't win since I have Aura Extraction.
    DD (12 + 2 pt) = 14 pt

(*) Symbi, Timberland Ruins, Dwarven Ruins, Impatience, Remove Enchantments, GT:13
    DD (14 + 2 pt) = 16 pt

(*) FourDogsinaHorseSuit, Crucible of the Spirit Dragon Mage-Ring Network Doubling Cube Fall of the Titans
    I can't move or you'll cast Cube and win. If I never move you win.
    LL (16 + 6 pt) = 22 pt

(*) RoosterCocoa, Barbarian Ring, Shivan Gorge, Tranquil Cove, River Delta
    Like Symbi, I can draw but never win, and the draw is to play Impatience, let it zap you, then remove it on my turn.
    DD (22 + 2 pt = 24 pt)

(*) Wrath of Pie, Lava Tubes, Fungal Reaches, Flailing Manticore, Phage the Untouchable, GT: 13
    If I play Impatience, you play Flailing Manticore, winning the game (I won't have enough mana to both erase manticore and cast Aura Extraction).
    If I don't play Impatience, you beat me the same way you beat 4x Wastes.
    LL (24 + 6 = 30 pt)

(*) Dooey, Jötun Grunt, Codex Shredder, Icatian Store, Ajani, Wise Counselor
    That is a heck of a combo. So you... Cast Jotun Grunt, let it die, cast Codex Shredder, sacrifice it to return Jotun Grunt to your hand, cast Ajani, tick Ajani up twice, tick it down three times with -3 so it dies, THEN cast Jotun Grunt and get in one attack? Then it dies and you return to the beginning of the loop?
    If I cast Impatience, you win by casting Codex Shredder. If I don't cast Impatience, you save infinite mana, gain a point of life if that's needed, and win.
    LL (30 + 6 = 36 pt)

(*) jfb1337, Dwarven Hold, Reito Lantern, Brass's Bounty, Bolas's Citadel
    If I cast Impatience, you kill me by casting Reito Lantern. You save infinite mana and win.
    LL (36 + 6 = 42 pt)

(*) Asthereal, Saprazzan Cove, Mental Misstep, Envelop, Rod of Ruin
    If I cast Impatience, you go Rod of Ruin and I lose. If I don't cast Impatience, you go Rod of Ruin and I lose.
    LL (42 + 6 = 48 pt)

(*) GoblinSmashmaster, Bottomless Vault, The Cauldron of Eternity, Boggart Mob, Goblin Charbelcher GT177
    If I go Impatience, you go Charbelcher and I lose.
    If I don't go Impatience, you can do infinite mana, establish Cauldron, win game whether or not I try Impatience.
    LL (48 + 6 = 54 pt)

(*) Silkster, Lotus Bloom, Hypergenesis, Flailing Manticore, Maniacal Rage[/QUOTE]
    If I go Impatience, you go Lotus Bloom. If I don't go Impatience, you go 5/5 manticore and there's no timing window when I can kill it with 3 mana.
    LL (54 + 6 = 60 pt)

Total: 60 pt

(Same as Symbi, but Symbi didn't include Reep's deck b/c of copy+paste time delay and legality question.)
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 09-20-2022 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdsOfParadise View Post
    Me: BirdsOfParadise, Aura Extraction, Bog Wreckage, Impatience, Remote Farm

(*) Wrath of Pie, Lava Tubes, Fungal Reaches, Flailing Manticore, Phage the Untouchable, GT: 13
    If I don't play Impatience, you save infinite mana. You tap Fungal Reaches to cast Manticore. I let your mana pool empty, then EoT, try to remove it by tapping 3 mana. You use Lava Tubes to generate mana from Fungal Reaches to save Manticore. I untap and kill manticore. I have only one land on board and it's a draw.
    DD (24 + 2 = 26 pt)
    Wait, can't 4 wastes force a draw with the same line?

Quote Originally Posted by Symbi View Post
    Wait, can't 4 wastes force a draw with the same line?
    I somehow missed this, it probably does and that means my entry isn't legal.

EDIT: Saved by cleanup step technicalities.

No, I made a mistake.

Turns out that Wrath of Pie gives Manticore infinite P/T on the turn it comes into play. Then tapping 4x Wastes (or my 3 mana) at end of Wrath's turn does nothing.
    Then tapping 4x Wastes (or my 3 mana) again while one of Wrath's lands is tapped during opponent's turn just forces Wrath to tap the other land and make infinite mana again.
    Then Wrath untaps, still with infinite storage counters.

Why is not everyone's GT listed?

WW I'm faster

WW I'm faster

WW I beat impatience

WW I beat impatience

LL Fall of the titans is *way* too fast

LL You're faster

WW I can charge up mana faster than you to kill the flailer

WW I beat impatience

Uhh... another Reito Lantern vs Codex Shredder matchup.
    You can't win because whenever you have the Grunt in play with two cards in the graveyard, I can use lantern to tuck Ajani.
    Since doing that completely stops you, you can't play Grunt at all when I have 3 counters on my land - tapped or not. And I can always charge up enough mana to make progress even through Shredder's mill while still holding that up.
    Thus, WW.

That's me; submitting an unoriginal deck at the last minute since all of my other ideas couldn't beat the target decks

LL You're faster

LL You're faster

WW I kill the flailer

Total: 8L = 24

BTW, I think cards from the target decks should be temp-banned for that round.

IllegalDeckmaster Results for Round "Impatient"

Goblin smash :( 0-6

Titan smash! 6-0

Grunt smash! 6-0

Rod smash! 6-0

That's me, forced to switch last minute :(

Total: 18 pts
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 09-21-2022 at 04:12 AM.

Thread Information