Thread: Bg Confident

Nov 2017
    France

[Eva Green Revival]

I did not find a topic similar enough so i thought i rather create a new one.

I have been toying with a deck for some time and it now produces some decent results in small tournaments. However there is still lots of room for improvements.

It started as a aggro controle mono black but i wanted answers to some troublesome cards. I could have gone to the classic pikula deck (BW) but i like the versatility of abrupt decay so i went into a green splash instead. I tried the dark ritual and the chrome moxen but liked none of them so finally i tried the diamond moxen. They are much more interesting but they required lots of changes in the deck to have them fit properly. So here is the last iteration of it :

// 4 Artifact
    4 Mox Diamond

// 16 Creature
    2 Tourach, Dread Cantor
    4 Dauthi Voidwalker
    4 Dark Confidant
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    2 Opposition Agent

// 4 Instant
    4 Abrupt Decay

// 24 Land
    2 Castle Locthwain
    4 Wasteland
    6 Swamp
    4 Bayou
    2 Forest
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Boseiju, Who Endures

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Liliana of the Veil

// 10 Sorcery
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    3 Thoughtseize
    2 Raven's Crime
    2 Life from the Loam

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb
    SB: 1 Torpor Orb
    SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 3 Plague Engineer
    SB: 2 Choke
    SB: 3 Chains of Mephistopheles
    SB: 2 Inquisition of Kozilek

Sideboard is work in progress. As for the main deck, i am not sold at all about Castle Locthwain that look cute but i almost never use them to draw cards. I like the life from the loam but i am not sure at all they fit the plan (i could not test enough with them so far), i could put the chains of mephistopheles back in main deck instead. Vampire Nighthawk may look weird but are actually the best creatures in the deck (not counting Bob special mention ;) ) : they are a removal, a life gainer (dark confident + thoughtseize + fetch can be a lot in some match up) and a flying beater.
    Last edited by Albarkhane; 08-01-2022 at 04:39 PM.

May 2015
    PDX

Re: Bg Confident

This looks too similar to Pox to belong in developmental. LoamPox is still under that umbrella, so you can take it over to the Established thread for feedback. :)

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

Its called eva green

Sep 2011

Yeah this is Eva Green. An old archetype that's been around for many years.

Eva Green = Black discard aggro-control (usually with Confidant), splash green for a few tools

Originally the green was for Tarmogoyf as a finisher. Then Abrupt Decay and Deathrite Shaman (while legal). Eva Green saw less play after the DRS ban. There was not much to reward green vs staying monoblack (better mana) or splashing white instead (BW Deadguy Ale).

Your deck is an interesting mix of Eva Green and Loam Pox tools (Life from the Loam, Raven's Crime, Liliana, Mox). The Loam+Crime engine is much more controlling though, so I wonder how well it works with the black creatures.

Is Nighthawk Scavenger better than Vampire Nighthawk?

Does this want Dark Ritual? You have many good 3-mana plays that are devastating on turn 1 (Opposition Agent, Liliana, Nighthawk). Otherwise it's a bit obvious you have opposition agent when you leave 3 lands untapped.

Nov 2017
    France

Thanks for your answers.

A deck that rely mainly on killing with bears can't really be called a pox deck even if there are lots of common cards in both. However i am reading the pox forum on regular basis in case there could be some common interesting technology.

I agree it is closer to Eva green deck. That deck has seen no play for about 10 years and i could find no topic about it here (i did some archeology) so i guess i was right to create a new one. I will rename the thread (well, if i can).

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Your deck is an interesting mix of Eva Green and Loam Pox tools (Life from the Loam, Raven's Crime, Liliana, Mox). The Loam+Crime engine is much more controlling though, so I wonder how well it works with the black creatures.
    Actually that is exactly what i am wondering. Loams have nice synergy but i am not really sure it fits the plan, namely something else could be more strong.
    Basically, Loam is nice with wasteland and Boseiju (and allow raven crime) but could be just overkill.

I have been away from Legacy for some time and i just recently saw that scavenger existed. They could be a nice upgrade. I will buy some and will test them as soon as i get them.

Does this want Dark Ritual? You have many good 3-mana plays that are devastating on turn 1 (Opposition Agent, Liliana, Nighthawk). Otherwise it's a bit obvious you have opposition agent when you leave 3 lands untapped.
    The first iteration of that deck was playing 4 dark ritual but i was not so happy with them. I mean, they were doing good but not amazing. I removed them and tried chrome mox instead but i did not like them much (discard a black card that was mostly very useful to gain some speed was not worth it most of the time). So i decided to give a try to diamond moxen. They allow better access to green and lower the curve (because i play more lands) for Bob. Raven crime is interesting to get rid of those additional lands so it fits well.
    Last edited by Albarkhane; 08-01-2022 at 04:41 PM.

Nov 2017
    France

Thank you for the link to the proper thread. I copied my opening post there and i guess we should continue there.

Thread Information