Thread: Blue Zoo [X-Point OS]

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Blue Zoo [X-Point OS]

Hey guys! I've been getting into Oldschool lately, and wanted to share an idea for a Blue Zoo list. I've always loved playing and building Zoo decks, especially those with Blue. Spells like Ancestral Recall and Time Walk have a steep points cost, but perhaps their effects would be best suited to a Zoo deck?

4 Kird Ape
    4 Ball Lightning
    4 Serendib Efreet
    4 Erhnam Djinn
    1 Serendib Djinn

4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Chain Lightning
    4 Psionic Blast
    1 Ancestral Recall
    1 Fork
    1 Time Walk
    2 Shatter
    1 Disintegrate

1 Sylvan Library
    1 Chaos Orb
    1 Mox Ruby
    1 Mox Sapphire

4 Taiga
    3 City of Brass
    1 Strip Mine
    5 Mountain
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island

SB

3 Shatterstorm
    2 Tranquility
    3 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Earthquake
    2 Shivan Dragon

Kird Ape: Kird Ape is our only 1 drop. He's rarely a bad card, and often he's stellar. He does get held back by Mishra's Factory, and does require 1 of our 8 Forests to become a 2/3.

Serendib Efreet: Serendib is an evasive threat, one we can cast fairly easily. This is a deck that doesn't mind being on the clock so to speak, because it has burn to finish the game quickly.

Erhnam Djinn: Erhnam represents 4 of our only 5 green cards in the deck. While it may seem like Green could be cut, Ernie and Kird Ape are a tremendous presence on their own.

Ball Lightning: Tropical Island can be awkward alongside, but we are playing Mox Ruby to help this. Ball Lightning is what makes us a bit unique, my hopes are that it's a bit unexpected.

Serendib Djinn: Double Blue cost is restrictive, but we are playing Mox Sapphire. The Ability to Eat Mountain, City of Brass, or Taiga for no damage has me eager to try him.

------

1x Time Walk: The idea is to attack with Creatures and play Time Walk. 2 Points is a steep cost, but it's exactly what we want.

1x Ancestral Recall: My hope is that this deck makes good use of the extra cards during early phases of the game. Maximum efficiency for 4 points

1x Fork: Our deck supports Fork very well. We're fundamentally red, with a bunch of great spells to duplicate. It also helps fight through Counterspell.

1x Sylvan Library: The 5th Green card, Note the 11 Green Sources. Library looks good against Control decks to me, especially in long SB games.

1x Disintegrate: Deals with Sedge Troll (Inefficiently) and closes out games.

1x Chaos Orb: Solid Removal efficiently priced. We lack good 2 Drop threats, so this at least gives us something productive.

2x Shatter: An Answer for Nevinyrral's Disk, Mishra's Factory, and Icy Manipulator. It's rarely a dead card, very important vs Workshop decks.

4x Lightning Bolt, 4x Chain Lightning: 1 Mana Burn spells are very nice. Versatile, Important, and Powerful.

4x Psionic Blast: You could play 3x, but I'd fear Serendib.

Sideboard

3x Shatterstorm: This card is exciting to me, because it may be great against the Workshop decks. Very Solid vs artifacts, a top deck.

2x Tranquility: I think it's probably important to have answers to The Abyss, 2x to give proper respect.

2x Earthquake: Seems like a solid SB Option vs Creatures. Kird Ape and Ernham have solid bodies, and our other creatures have Evasion.

3x Red Elemental Blast: Red Blast provides important interaction against Blue opponents, who hope to Counter our threats and Draw cards.

3x Blue Elemental Blast: Not as easy for us to support Blue Blast, but very strong against Red opponents.

2x Shivan Dragon: For Blood Moon based decks, and any match where you'd want some top-end.

I've had fun brainstorming for this deck, it looks very enjoyable to play. Matchup analysis to come, That's all for now.

-Troopa
    Last edited by troopatroop; 09-11-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Thread Information