Thread: [DECK] Miracle Warriors

[DECK] Miracle Warriors

The 40k set includes Sister Repentia and Triumph of Saint Catherine which are 5-power creatures that can be miracle cast for 2 mana. Now, it's not entirely clear whether a 5/5 lifelink for 2 mana is good enough for legacy these days, but it's plausible. So there was some speculation on the spoiler thread about putting them into an esper shell - maybe something like:

4 Sister Repentia
    4 Triumph of Saint Catherine
    4 Ledger Shredder

4 Temporal Mastery

1 Vanishment
    1 Banishing Stroke

4 Force of Will
    4 Ponder
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Jace the Mindsculptor

4 Mishra's Bauble

2 Witch's Cottage
    2 Mystic Sanctuary
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Marsh Flats
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Undeground Sea
    2 Badlands
    2 Tundra
    1 Plains
    1 Swamp
    1 Island

Re: [DECK] Miracle Warriors

Nice, I'm really excited for these. Went in a different direction though as I really want to be able to play a chrome mox turn 1 and then opponents eot brainstorm to set up a turn 2 sister of battle. Trying to abuse repentia's death trigger a bit more too. Lastly, on the deck name I'm a big 40k fan/player and both miracle creatures are from the 'Sisters of Battle' army. This is then broken down into about 7 sub factions, one of the most popular being 'Bloody Rose' which I think could be a sweet name for the deck.

3 "Lifetime" Pass Holder
    4 Baleful Strix
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Dauthi Voidwalker
    1 Deny the Witch
    2 Flooded Strand
    4 Grief
    1 Inquisitor Greyfax
    2 Malakir Rebirth
    4 Marsh Flats
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Resurrection Orb
    4 Saw in Half
    2 Scrubland
    4 Sister Repentia
    1 Swamp
    4 Triumph of Saint Katherine
    1 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea

4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 True-Name Nemesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Nice, I'm really excited for these. Went in a different direction though as I really want to be able to play a chrome mox turn 1 and then opponents eot brainstorm to set up a turn 2 sister of battle. ...
    Fair enough. I just figured it might make sense to split the concept into its own thread.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The 40k set includes Sister Repentia and Triumph of Saint Katherine which are 5-power creatures that can be miracle cast for 2 mana. Now, it's not entirely clear whether a 5/5 lifelink for 2 mana is good enough for legacy these days, but it's plausible.
    If you put it in a Xerox shell, your competition for big beater at 2 mana includes:
    Murktide Regent
    Tarmogoyf
    Phyrexian Dreadnought
    Urza's Saga->Shadowspear
    Stoneforge Mystic -> Kaldra Compleat

A 5/5 lifelink is decent but not amazing. You could power it out quickly, but UWx is not good at supporting aggression and the 5/5 is less aggressive than what aggressive blue already does (DRC+Murktide, Dreadnought).

Instead you could play a few copies in a controlling Miracle shell. There's no need to go overboard building around them, because the payoff isn't amazing compared to alternatives.

Miracle only works on the FIRST card drawn each turn, so Portent looks better than Ponder (draw on opponent's turn, triggering Miracle). Like the old UW Miracles. You don't need to run that many other Miracle cards either. Temporal Mastery is a trap. Vanishment/Banishing are weak.

Triumph could fit into a UWx shell as a resilient finisher that gains life and keeps coming back. UW lacked playable lifegain before. The Miracle engine is an excuse to revive Counterbalance.

UWr Miracles of Saint Katherine

//Spells: 26
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Portent
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Prismatic Ending
    3 Predict
    1 Dovin's Veto
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Terminus

//Creatures: 6
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Triumph of Saint Katherine

//Planeswalkers: 4
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Enchantments: 4
    3 Counterbalance
    1 Dress Down

//Lands: 20
    4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Scalding Tarn
    2 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island
    3 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Mountain
    1 Mystic Sanctuary

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Ruination
    1 Meltdown
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    3 Surgical Extraction

This basically runs 3 Triumph instead of 1 Entreat and the 2nd Terminus. The logic being that recurring 5/5 lifelinkers help stabilize against creature swarms so you don't need the 2nd board wipe main. But the 5/5 is less resilient than Entreat, so you need multiples.

You could go Esper for both Sister and Triumph. It still seems better as control, since Esper does control better and the 5/xs aren't as aggressive as what Delver can do.

Esper Miracles Warriors

//Spells: 26
    4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Portent
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Prismatic Ending
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Drown in the Loch
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Terminus

//Creatures: 9
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    3 Triumph of Saint Katherine
    3 Sister Repentia

//Planeswalkers: 4
    1 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
    2 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

//Artifacts: 1
    1 Scroll Rack

//Lands: 20
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Flooded Strand
    3 Prismatic Vista
    2 Tundra
    2 Underground Sea
    1 Scrubland
    2 Island
    2 Plains
    1 Swamp

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Hydroblast
    1 Flusterstorm
    1 Cling to Dust
    2 Surgical Extraction
    3 Hymn to Tourach
    1 Fracture
    1 Supreme Verdict
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Serenity
    1 Deafening Silence
    1 Ashiok, Dream Render

Edit: Aminatou, the Fateshifter might be a good enabler for Esper, since it puts a card back on top of library. With both Sister Repentia and Triumph of Saint Katherine, you'll have dead cards in hand that need to go back to library. I put in 1-of Scroll Rack, but Aminatou may be better.
    Edit2: You could also consider an 80-card Esper Yorion pile. Then you can play 4 of each Miracle Warrior and 4x Solitude. Solitude can pitch either Sister or Triumph when they're dead in hand, mitigating bad draws. Solitude is another lifelink attacker and plays very well with Yorion.
    Last edited by FTW; 09-23-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Thread Information