Thread: "the sacrificed creature" ​ when 2 were sacrificed

"the sacrificed creature" ​ when 2 were sacrificed

On the battlefield, there is

Brutal Suppression
    and
    at least one nontoken creature with a ​ "sacrifice a creature" ​ activated ability
    https://scryfall.com/search?q=type%3...rid&order=name
    whose effect refers to something about ​ "the sacrificed creature"
    and
    something making the at least one nontoken creature
    https://scryfall.com/search?q=oracle...rid&order=name
    with such an activiated ability into a Rebel

To activate such an ability, a player sacrifices 2 creatures, one of which is also a land.
    Crackling Emergence ​ , ​ Harmonious Emergence

Does the effect count both creatures, or just the one sacrificed for
    "sacrifice a creature" ​ ​ ​ and not the one sacrificed for ​ ​ ​ "sacrifice a land" ​ ?

If it counts both, then

Would Geralf, Visionary Stitcher make 1 token each, or ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ edit: ​ I corrected the numbers here.
    1 token total, with X equal to the sum of their toughnesses? ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ (I was thinking of a different card when I typed them before.)

Last edited by Phasmoid; 10-01-2022 at 11:43 AM. Reason: corrected numbers

Re: "the sacrificed creature" ​ when 2 were sacrificed

I'm pretty sure you're over thinking it and it makes 1 token equal to the the toughness of the the creature you sacrificed to Geralf, not to brutal suppression.

4 tokens ​ vs ​ 2 tokens ​ ​ ​ was due to me getting Geralf, Visionary Stitcher mixed up with a different card.
    I'm guessing you think your answer remains correct after my change to ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ 2 tokens ​ vs ​ 1 token ​ ​ ​ ,
    but even if you don't, it might remain correct anyway ^_^, which brings up a related question:

If Suppression Field and Vazi, Keen Negotiator are both on the battlefield, can an opponent avoid an activated ability
    triggering Vazi by spending Treasure mana for Suppression Field rather than for the activated ability's source?

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    4 tokens ​ vs ​ 2 tokens ​ ​ ​ was due to me getting Geralf, Visionary Stitcher mixed up with a different card.
    I'm guessing you think your answer remains correct after my change to ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​ 2 tokens ​ vs ​ 1 token ​ ​ ​ ,
    but even if you don't, it might remain correct anyway ^_^, which brings up a related question:

If Suppression Field and Vazi, Keen Negotiator are both on the battlefield, can an opponent avoid an activated ability
    triggering Vazi by spending Treasure mana for Suppression Field rather than for the activated ability's source?
    No.
    Vazi doesn't care which costs your paying with treasures only that you are. This includes suppression fields additional only.
    E: yeah I thought you had the wrong card. I'm to lazy to look it up but I think you're thinking of Gissa and Geralf? Or just Gissa who makes x 2/2s?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Phasmoid View Post
    To activate such an ability, a player sacrifices 2 creatures, one of which is also a land.
    Crackling Emergence ​ , ​ Harmonious Emergence

Does the effect count both creatures, or just the one sacrificed for
    "sacrifice a creature" ​ ​ ​ and not the one sacrificed for ​ ​ ​ "sacrifice a land" ​ ?
    Just 1. The one sacrificed for "sacrifice a creature", not both.

"the sacrificed creature" is a pointer referring to the first object. It does not reference ANY or ALL creatures sacrificed.

If it read "creature X 1/1 tokens where X is the sacrificed creature's toughness", it would only work for one of the creatures sacrificed. It ignores the one sacrificed for Brutal Suppression. The controller gets to choose which is sacrificed for which purpose.

Thread Information