Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30th Anniversary Edition - What Reserve List?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Re: 30th Anniversary Edition - What Reserve List?

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I mean this with all honestly and sincerity: log off.
    You're like three ticks past terminal levels of "online"
    All of their fucking posts are like this. It's practically a case study.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Please keep the discussion to MTG related topics. This is not a platform to project political or social ideology into your MTG posts. If you are unfamiliar, please re-read the site rules.

Site Rules:
    https://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/...-Rules-for-MTS

EDIT: Any comments in regards to this should be sent directly to a Mod/Admin. This is not an invitation to discuss in this thread.
    Last edited by Jander78; 10-10-2022 at 03:44 PM.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

I like the look of the new frame trop over the retro one. Our Revised duals might not go up as much as they would've otherwise. I think the kids of today are going to eventually decide that they are tournament legal.
    Last edited by troopatroop; 10-23-2022 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    I like the look of the new frame trop over the retro one. Our Revised duals might not go up as much as they would've otherwise. I think the kids of today are going to eventually decide they they are tournament legal.
    No, they'll gobble up the tournament-legal DLC to virtually modify the card.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    I like the look of the new frame trop over the retro one. Our Revised duals might not go up as much as they would've otherwise. I think the kids of today are going to eventually decide that they are tournament legal.
    I mean, is there a certain kind of player that would piss and moan about these cards being on the table outside of a sanctioned event? Because that's an asshole.

Like I may not like this product and in fact feel it is incredibly indicative of where Hasbro's/WotC's real focus is with regard to who they are actually aiming to please. But also, if I'm at the LGS for a pickup game of EDH and someone throws down a 30th Ed Scrubland, I'm not gonna holler for a judge or anything. They look way better than my Onslaught Sea's Claim where I wrote "ANCESTRAL" at the top and everyone at the table eyerolls and goes "ok sure Tsumi that's an Ancestral"

Let's take it a step further and say no player in any level of play should be upset by the use of these cards considering their long (maybe not so long) term alternative is just not playing paper at all.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    Let's take it a step further and say no player in any level of play should be upset by the use of these cards considering their long (maybe not so long) term alternative is just not playing paper at all.
    I would also be cool with that. Taigas are Taigas as far as I'm concerned. I don't have as much skin in the game as a shop owner or tournament runner though. If someone balks because they run an LGS and need to maintain their good standing with Hasbro/WotC/the DCI/MI6/who-tf-ever to stay afloat, I can't really blame them for disallowing these cards in sanctioned play.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    I would also be cool with that. Taigas are Taigas as far as I'm concerned. I don't have as much skin in the game as a shop owner or tournament runner though. If someone balks because they run an LGS and need to maintain their good standing with Hasbro/WotC/the DCI/MI6/who-tf-ever to stay afloat, I can't really blame them for disallowing these cards in sanctioned play.
    The thing is the stores don't even get anything for running vintage or legacy events.
    Unless you care about Planeswalker points or whatever crap they have now, you could just run it as casual event.
    Nobody cares, especially not WotC.
    Probably the only ones who care are CFB/SCG who are actually making money off these cards.

Why not just skip that step entirely and just let people play proxies that don't cost 1000$ roulette spins to get? The idea of whether or not people should care if these are used to play with seems irrelevant because anyone who has the money to pony up for a product like this isn't the type of person who has problems buying cards to play with in the first place outside of maybe like 10 cards that are already proxied most of the time anyways. It feels like a roundabout way of leaving it up to us to decide whether or not its cool, or what degree of proxying ("official proxies" vs something from china vs writing on a card) is ok which is cowardly, while basically admitting that they are complicit in maintaining the pricing of the secondary market to push their own premium products.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Literally what are you talking about
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Literally what are you talking about
    Prices going up reduces the size of the player pool.
    The player pool shrinks on it's own through natural attrition.

Therefore as time advances there's going to be fewer and fewer Legacy players until there are not enough to play anymore.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Prices going up reduces the size of the player pool.
    The player pool shrinks on it's own through natural attrition.

Therefore as time advances there's going to be fewer and fewer Legacy players until there are not enough to play anymore.
    A better alternative is just using non-$1k proxies tho

..and? Maybe the next wave of wotc proxies isn't 1k, maybe Arabian Nights CE is only 500. One drop of honey gets the whole set!

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    Why not just skip that step entirely and just let people play proxies that don't cost 1000$ roulette spins to get? The idea of whether or not people should care if these are used to play with seems irrelevant because anyone who has the money to pony up for a product like this isn't the type of person who has problems buying cards to play with in the first place outside of maybe like 10 cards that are already proxied most of the time anyways. It feels like a roundabout way of leaving it up to us to decide whether or not its cool, or what degree of proxying ("official proxies" vs something from china vs writing on a card) is ok which is cowardly, while basically admitting that they are complicit in maintaining the pricing of the secondary market to push their own premium products.
    I agree except I would note that the proxy should actually be a close approximation of the card. Its not a very fun experience playing against a bunch of proxies when they're something like a Plains with a different name written with Sharpie and no rules text or anything else.

What aspect of my post had anything to do with the use of other types of proxies? Also, see my response to phonics.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

What aspect of my post had anything to do with the use of other types of proxies? Also, see my response to phonics.
    So Wizards printing this shit isn’t necessary to the continuation of the format

So Wizards printing this shit isn’t necessary to the continuation of the format
    No but with the continuation of the reserve list proxies are necessary to continued paper play.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

No but with the continuation of the reserve list proxies are necessary to continued paper play.
    See, this point right here makes me wonder why more collectors didn't express concern about the weakening of the Pro Tour. The rotating format concept is historically built on the idea that collectors insist on collectibility of game pieces so they can't have eternal endless print runs; so you entice players with a Pro Tour that uses rotating formats and then tell them "...you DO want to play the cards that PROFESSIONALS are playing, right? That's where the money is! That's where the prizes are!" You start chipping away at the pillars of Reserve List and Pro Tour and the foundation starts sagging. When players don't have anything to aspire to in Standard, they start wondering why they bother keeping up with it at all, then they look at older formats with lands that cost a month's rent and realize that playing the game the way they're being encouraged to makes no fucking sense unless they're burdened with a sizeable disposable income.

Now maybe gamers are so accustomed to games rotating pieces out of competitive play that this is just accepted as The Way Things Work? So maybe it's just cold fusion at this point and the gacha life has infiltrated all gaming outside of Chess and Poker, and we're never going back. I dunno. But otherwise, the game is just a complex set of rules that can be applied to any physical or electronic assets you see fit. If Magic deflates its own hype far enough there is nothing stopping it from becoming the next Netrunner.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

lol. lmao, even

https://articles.starcitygames.com/m...mpanys-rating/

Shares of Hasbro dropped almost nine percent today following a report from Bank of America that claims the company is hurting the long-term value of Magic: The Gathering by overproducing cards.

Shocking I tell you , shocking. Who saw that coming.

Thread Information