Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    5. GoblinSmashmaster:Priest of Urabrask, Culling the Weak, Bladecoil Serpent, Fury
    That's me, not on Goblin combo :(
    You could have played my deck with Empty the Warrens for infinite gobbos.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by Dooey View Post
    2. Dooey: Zirda, The Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Swan Song

8. jfb1337: Time Vault, Voltaic Servant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Path to Exile

OTP I get my threat out and protect it, but then you take the rest of the turns. But you can't attack because I can block. OTD you take all the turns. DL

3W1D = 10 points.
    I can't take all the turns without winning:

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post

Loops

- If one player is able to take infinite turns through taking actions, that does not move the game forward and so that player must make a choose a finite number of turns to take before ending the loop.

Feb 2014

FTW, what do you think of our MU?

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    I can't take all the turns without winning:
    True, but it ends up as a draw anyway. On my turn 1 I play monolith zirda ulamog, then on your turn 1 you inquisition my swan song and path one of my creatures. You do have to pass the turn to me, but I can't attack on that turn because I need to be able to block. If I pass turn to you with no untapped creatures to block with, I lose.

True, but it ends up as a draw anyway. On my turn 1 I play monolith zirda ulamog, then on your turn 1 you inquisition my swan song and path one of my creatures. You do have to pass the turn to me, but I can't attack on that turn because I need to be able to block. If I pass turn to you with no untapped creatures to block with, I lose.
    Ah good point.
    I don't have the mana to inq, path, *and* combo; however you can't swan song my path anyway as otherwise I take infinite turns with a flier in play.
    So I path ulamog, then put the combo in play, and it's a draw.

Some other lines that I thought about that don't change the outcome:
    - I can path zirda in response to the first monolith untap activation. However, you can swan song it, then ulamog *is* able to remove the bird and you win.
    - You could play zirda without playing ulamog (hoping to remove something with it later); but then I path zirda on my turn and win.

Edit: Actually, Ulamog's cast trigger isn't optional. In order to put it into play when I have no permanents, you have to exile monolith and zirda. At which point I path it and win.
    Last edited by jfb1337; 01-26-2023 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    Ah good point.
    I don't have the mana to inq, path, *and* combo; however you can't swan song my path anyway as otherwise I take infinite turns with a flier in play.
    So I path ulamog, then put the combo in play, and it's a draw.

Some other lines that I thought about that don't change the outcome:
    - I can path zirda in response to the first monolith untap activation. However, you can swan song it, then ulamog *is* able to remove the bird and you win.
    - You could play zirda without playing ulamog (hoping to remove something with it later); but then I path zirda on my turn and win.

Edit: Actually, Ulamog's cast trigger isn't optional. In order to put it into play when I have no permanents, you have to exile monolith and zirda. At which point I path it and win.
    Ah yeah true. Alright WW for you.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    How would you goad dryad without the initiative?
    I play dryad, have 2 3/3 and the initiative vs a 5/5. I would win from there.

WW for me?
    True, I didn't consider you not attacking and then double-blocking with 2 3/3s. You can afford to hold back because you have the Initiative, so you will eventually win with a 4/1 Menace if I don't keep attacking.

But if I take the Initiative from you, then you can play Dryad precombat and then make it 5/5 while avoiding Goad.

It looks like you can beat all my lines. Agree.

ROUND 12 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 10, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is a08d82bf12406e444fa9d00bef2e6b9d745dc7c2d53f41722b9f93144908d19d

[B]DEADLINE: Tuesday, January 31th at 1:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5).
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Smoke, Smoke Teller, Smokespew Invoker, Fire-Lit Thicket.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above each other, and with your Username and 4CB S14R12 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R12
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 
    Sorry for the absence. We're back. The newly banned cards are:
    Crystal Vein
    Force of Despair
    Hive Mind
    Inquisition of Kozilek
    Izzet Charm
    Old-Growth Dryads
    Path to Exile
    Spellstutter Sprite
    Summoner's Pact
    Unmask
    White Plume Adventurer.

Only 7 total entries at the moment. I think I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon (21 hours from now) (also cause I'm not at a computer right now and it would be a few hours anyway).

1. silkster: Keldon Megaliths, Izzet Boilerworks, Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith
    I tried to run discard + counter for several weeks and enjoyed doing so, but figured I'd metagame sharply against that this week. I'm able to deal a damage on turn 4 using the starting mana while the bounce trigger is on the stack, though I doubt it will be relevant.

2. dte: Swords to Plowshares, Durkwood Baloth, Prohibit, Dread Fugue
    WW. What I was hoping to face, basically.

3. GoblinSmashmaster: Castigate, Noxious Revival, Mana Vault, Empty the Warrens
    LL. I feared there would be many goblins smashing, but I wasn't willing to play around it. I just hoped there would be one or two larger goblins.

4. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce
    WW. Basically the deck that pushed me into not playing spells.

5. Dooey: Lesser Masticore, Mizzix's Mastery, Biorhythm, Radiant Fountain
    LL. Holy cow was I not expecting to see Biorhythm. This is just the kind of ridiculous nonsense that had me playing counterspells every week.

6. Asthereal: Eldrazi Temple, Spell Snare, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer
    WW. I like the change to Spell Snare.

7. FTW: Mana Vault, Barbed Shocker, Shriekmaw, Flusterstorm
    WL. This discard hits lands, but can also be stopped by (the right) lands.

8. jfb1337: Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire, Stoneforge Mystic, Kaldra Compleat, Psychic Strike
    WW. Two creatures and a counter. Just what I was hoping for.

9W, 5L. This deck felt like a gamble, and it went about as well as I could have hoped.

Feb 2014

0-6. ouch, I can't do anything vs lands.

Me, playing almost the same deck as last time. I was a bit curious, it is not very inventive but did well, last, could it work again? apparently not.

0-6

4. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce
    1-4 I think?

6-0, here prohibit does something.

4-1

6-0

8. jfb1337: Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire, Stoneforge Mystic, Kaldra Compleat, Psychic Strike
    6-0
    Last edited by dte; 02-02-2023 at 02:43 AM.

LL - Can't get through double maze

LL - Can't get through all that interaction

LL - You make more gobbos than I can keep up with

LL - You always force through a TKS

WW - I counter biorhythm

DD - I counter one TKS and Eiganjo the other

DD - I Eiganjo the shocker

Total: 2W 4D = 10

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Spell Snare is an interesting choice. It is really narrow, though.
    Yeah, I wanted to WW against my deck from previous round. It was a bit of a gamble, but Pierce only taxing for 2 seemed problematic. Perhaps I was overthinking things, like usual.

Anyway, my results for round 12:

1. silkster: Keldon Megaliths, Izzet Boilerworks, Maze of Ith, Maze of Ith LL
    2. dte: Swords to Plowshares, Durkwood Baloth, Prohibit, Dread Fugue DL
    3. GoblinSmashmaster: Castigate, Noxious Revival, Mana Vault, Empty the Warrens WL
    4. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce DD
    5. Dooey: Lesser Masticore, Mizzix's Mastery, Biorhythm, Radiant Fountain WD
    6. Asthereal: Eldrazi Temple, Spell Snare, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer <-me
    7. FTW: Mana Vault, Barbed Shocker, Shriekmaw, Flusterstorm WL
    8. jfb1337: Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire, Stoneforge Mystic, Kaldra Compleat, Psychic Strike DD

Total: 15 points?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

1. silkster: OTP Shocker takes your hand. OTD Maze of Ith stops either creature. WL 3-3

2. dte: Disagreement. I can't win, but you can't either due to the CMC restrictions. I do nothing. If you make Baloth, I hardcast Shriekmaw with WUBRG. You can't Prohibit 5CMC, so Baloth dies, you StP Maw and we draw. The only way to prevent that is to Cleave Dread Fugue to discard Shriekmaw, but that leaves you choked on mana with only 2 left, and you have to choose which mana to spend before I have to react.
    If you leave WG: I Flusterstorm Dread Fugue. If you pay 2, you discard 1 creature but you're out of mana and die to the other. So you have to let Fugue get countered. With WG you can make Baloth and threaten StP (so I don't use Mana Vault), but I can Evoke Maw to kill it and you don't have Prohibit mana. Draw.
    If you leave UG: I Flusterstorm Dread Fugue. You let it get countered. If you suspend Baloth (U left), Prohibit is out so I can Mana Vault -> Maw to kill Baloth when it resolves and I win. If you don't suspend Baloth (UG open), I cast Shocker instead (can't kick Prohibit) and discard your hand and win. So leaving UG is bad for you.
    If you leave UW: I let Fugue resolve. You can discard either creature, but then I play the other and can Flusterstorm your Prohibit or StP (can't cast both) so I would win. Leaving UW is bad for you.
    If you do anything other than Cleave Dread Fugue, I ignore everything and save my mana for hardcast Shriekmaw on Baloth.
    So you either do nothing or let Maw & Baloth trade. DD 2-2

3. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Shocker takes your hand. OTD you Castigate Flusterstorm, put it back with Noxious, and make 8 goblins. I hardcast Shriekmaw (7 goblins) but after blocking I still take 6+5+4+3+2+1=21 damage. I thought Flusterstorm would help against Empty or Grapeshot decks going infinite, but you played the right hate. WL 3-3

4. Wrath of Pie: OTP Shocker takes your hand. OTD TKS exiles Shriekmaw so I can't fight back. WL 3-3
    5. Dooey: OTP Shocker takes your hand. OTD you play Masticore discarding Biorhythm but you can't cast it through Flusterstorm. Unfortunately Masticore was cleverly chosen to embarrass both my creatures. Shocker can't get through. It dodges Shriekmaw destroy and can block Fear, and you win the trade with Persist. Well played! WL 3-3
    6. Asthereal: OTP Shocker takes your hand. OTD TKS exiles Shriekmaw so I can't fight back. WL 3-3
    8. jfb1337: I can't stop Eiganjo killing Shocker (or Maw), but if you cast any spells then you lose the mana to make Eiganjo and you lose, so you do nothing else. DD 2-2

19 points (5 wins, 4 draws)

I thought about using Prohibit + StP instead of Maw + Fluster, not sure which was better. Maybe I overestimated the threat of Storm or underestimated how easily it could still be protected after IoK ban.

Biorhythm WW
    Counterspells and big creatures. LL
    OTP Biorhythm. OTD Castigate. WL
    OTP You can counter masticore but I still biorhythm for the draw. OTD You get a creature out. DL
    Disagreement. OTP I cast masticore and pass. You can't put both your threats into play for good even with mana vault and evoke shriekmaw does nothing, so you have to pick. If you pick shocker, I win the attacking race thanks to 2 life from radiant fountain. If you block, mine comes back and yours doesn't. If you pick shriekmaw, you have to spend all 5 starting mana and not hold up flusterstorm, in which case I untap, cast biorhythm to set us both to 1, attack to force a block, persist, attack again next turn. If you play mana vault to hold up fluster, I let the mana vault slowly kill you. OTD shocker wins. WL?

4W1D

GoblinSmashmaster Results for "Finally Goblins Smash!"

Goblin smash! 6-0

Goblin smash! 6-0

That's me, smashing with Goblins :)

Goblin stare, then TKS 1-4

Goblin smash, then Noxious! 4-1

Goblin smash, then TKS 3-3

Goblin smash, the shocked 3-3

Goblin smash! 6-0

Total: 29 goblin points :(
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 02-02-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Sep 2011

We both already have WL 3-3? On my draw I can't beat Masticore. What's the disagreement?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    We both already have WL 3-3? On my draw I can't beat Masticore. What's the disagreement?
    I misread your description, sorry.

Thread Information