Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Feb 2014

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Who wins between T1 BB and T1 3/4?
    It is WL 3-3.

Sep 2011

FTW: Saprazzan Cove, Force of Will, Laboratory Maniac, Subtlety, comment: More subtle this time?

Given the ceiling deck I focused too much on discard, but should have watched out for Chancellor + LD.

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Annex, Force of Will, Mindbreak Trap
    I can charge 1 more to pay for Chancellor, T6 Lab Man with Force backup. WW 6-0

Asthereal: Black Lotus, Wistful Thinking, Chancellor of the Annex, Fountain of Cho
    I can't both pay for Chancellor and Force turn 1 discard. LL 0-6

dte: black lotus, chancellor of the annex, strip mine, bitterblossom
    I can duck Chancellor by evoking Subtlety, but Strip Mine gets me. LL 0-6

Silkster: Strip Mine, Chancellor of the Annex, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Torch
    Can't beat Chancellor + Strip mine. LL 0-6

Reeplcheep: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, threat, Burning Inquiry
    Force Lotus WW 6-0

Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Force of Will, Sea's Claim, Durkwood Baloth
    Lab Man races Baloth, so all I have to do is charge my land. If you Sea's Claim, I Force it. If you don't and try to Force Lab Man, I Force your Force. WW 6-0

Total: 18 points (6 wins, 6 losses)

I thought my entry was changed from nether spirit to Anje’s ravager?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I quoted silkster's post, but noticed others after that are not consistent. Some have Nether Spirit, some have Ravager. I'll switch to Ravager.

Sorry for the mistake! It's definitely Anje's Ravager.

Here's what happened. I posted the correct lists. Then I tried to click reply to the posted lists so that I could do my results, but I accidentally clicked edit instead. So the post of the lists became my post of my results. And then I tried to scramble quickly to fix it, but I was doing quick copy pastes all over the place and I got the wrong one. Fixed now.
    4CB Ceiling Season Entry Form and the google sheet for scores.

Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Force of Will, Sea's Claim, Durkwood Baloth, comment:

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Annex, Force of Will, Mindbreak Trap, comment: Goblin smash! - WW
    Asthereal: Black Lotus, Wistful Thinking, Chancellor of the Annex, Fountain of Cho, comment: - WL
    dte: black lotus, chancellor of the annex, strip mine, bitterblossom, comment: - LL
    Silkster: Strip Mine, Chancellor of the Annex, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Torch, comment: Solitude too strong - LL
    Reeplcheep: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Anje's Ravager, Burning Inquiry, comment: - WW - This was a really bad metagame for Leyline of Anticipation. At least I know what we're likely losing to next round!
    FTW: Saprazzan Cove, Force of Will, Laboratory Maniac, Subtlety, comment: More subtle this time? - LL

5w = 15 points

GoblinSmashmaster Results for "Round 1: Chancellors!"

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Annex, Force of Will, Mindbreak Trap
    That's me on Goblins!

Asthereal: Black Lotus, Wistful Thinking, Chancellor of the Annex, Fountain of Cho, comment:
    Chancellor :( 0-6

dte: black lotus, chancellor of the annex, strip mine, bitterblossom, comment:
    Chancellor :( 0-6

Silkster: Strip Mine, Chancellor of the Annex, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Torch, comment: Solitude too strong
    Goblins! 2-2

Reeplcheep: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Anje's Ravager, Burning Inquiry, comment:
    Goblin smash! 6-0

Wrath of Pie: Undiscovered Paradise, Force of Will, Sea's Claim, Durkwood Baloth, comment:
    You use the force :( 0-6

FTW: Saprazzan Cove, Force of Will, Laboratory Maniac, Subtlety, comment: More subtle this time?
    You use the force :( 0-6

8 goblin points

Some scores from this round might change, but I'm going to lock in the next ceiling deck: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Anje's Ravager, Burning Inquiry.

Feel free to send in entries (form in signature). At some point over the weekend I'll lock in my deck and then check the entries for deck legality.

Don't forget (as I just did) that those 4 cards are banned this round.
    Last edited by silkster; 05-15-2024 at 01:50 AM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Reeplcheep: Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, Anje's Ravager, Burning Inquiry, comment:
    If my ceiling deck was made to beat wheel decks, t0 wheel has to be good right?

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Chancellor of the Annex, Force of Will, Mindbreak Trap, comment: Goblin smash!
    Asthereal: Black Lotus, Wistful Thinking, Chancellor of the Annex, Fountain of Cho, comment:
    dte: black lotus, chancellor of the annex, strip mine, bitterblossom, comment:
    Silkster: Strip Mine, Chancellor of the Annex, Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Torch, comment: Solitude too strong

Apparently I’m very good at being the ceiling deck. 0 W 0D 12 L

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Apparently I’m very good at being the ceiling deck. 0 W 0D 12 L
    Just say you got confused and went for backbuild. In which case: well done!

Locked in my list. I'll check for illegal decks in the morning though.

b17fa6634a18c69bcc56c90ae92c3119a803615df2728dc93dc078b9ab29087b

Five entries so far and they all look legal too me.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Five entries so far and they all look legal too me.
    Sent something in real quick. It's probably crap but that's okay. Busy weekend.

Ceiling Season - Round 2 Lists

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Shoal, Blazing Shoal, Volcanic Salvo, comment: Goblin Smash!
    dte: Thassa's Oracle, Island, Daze, Mox sapphire, comment:
    Reeplcheep: Cavern of Souls, Thassa’s Oracle, Leyline of Sanctity, Razortide Bridge, comment: Interaction is overrated
    Silkster: Underground Sea, Cabal Therapy, Chronomaton, Daze, comment: who needs negation anyway?
    Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Thoughtseize, Elvish Spirit Guide, Mayor of Avabruck, comment:
    FTW: Subtlety, Force of Negation, Strip Mine, Chronomaton, comment: Subtle variations
    Asthereal: Mishra's Workshop, Trinisphere, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs, comment: bit late, had a chess tourney

Underground Sea, Cabal Therapy, Chronomaton, Daze; go robot man!

Scoresheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1279858374

GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Blazing Shoal, Blazing Shoal, Volcanic Salvo, comment: Goblin Smash!
    WL - Oh damn, I did need that Force of Negation.

WL - I considered this deck (thought with Petal because I forgot about Moxen), which is notable because none of the other decks were on my radar.

Reeplcheep: Cavern of Souls, Thassa’s Oracle, Leyline of Sanctity, Razortide Bridge, comment: Interaction is overrated
    LL - Whelp, those are the cards that exactly invalidate everything I'm trying to do.

Silkster: Underground Sea, Cabal Therapy, Chronomaton, Daze, comment: who needs negation anyway?
    I didn't love it, but I couldn't think of anything better.

Wrath of Pie: Bayou, Thoughtseize, Elvish Spirit Guide, Mayor of Avabruck, comment:
    WL

FTW: Subtlety, Force of Negation, Strip Mine, Chronomaton, comment: Subtle variations
    DD - There are many decisions from both sides, and I thought it was DL for a while, but I think it's just a draw.

Asthereal: Mishra's Workshop, Trinisphere, Ensnaring Bridge, Scalding Tongs, comment: bit late, had a chess tourney
    WL - Hey, this is the deck that beats the darn Cavern of Souls + Leyline of Sanctity!

4W, 2D, 6L = 14/36.

My initial thought was UU tapland, Oracle, Force of Negation, Subtlety, and it was beating everything else that I could think of. I thought this was the deck to beat, so that's where I went. A fairly tight meta, but somehow I didn't think of most of it. I am pleasantly surprised, though, that mimicking the ceiling deck hasn't really been an option. I guess Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, and Burning Inquiry are irreplaceable.

Feb 2014

How would that be legal? OTP you do have your token, whatever the other deck is doing you can pump it to 20/1 haste, and you should be able to draw?
    Goblins too strong :/
    I'll write 6-0 for now
    3-3

Me. Not very imaginative, but hard to beat OTD. I first really wanted to play FoN, but could not make a deck with it that did not fold to strip mine.

6-0.
    Speed is underrated.

3-3

4-1

4-1

3-3

WL - I considered this deck (thought with Petal because I forgot about Moxen), which is notable because none of the other decks were on my radar.
    I am not sure I would have played petal, because that lose to subtlety whereas mox does not.
    Turns ous subtlety was not played, or only in a deck that did feature FoN.

My initial thought was UU tapland, Oracle, Force of Negation, Subtlety, and it was beating everything else that I could think of. I thought this was the deck to beat, so that's where I went. A fairly tight meta, but somehow I didn't think of most of it. I am pleasantly surprised, though, that mimicking the ceiling deck hasn't really been an option. I guess Leyline of Anticipation, Black Lotus, and Burning Inquiry are irreplaceable.
    I thought taplands were not playable with strip mine roaming around. If I knew there would be only one, I would have gone storage land :)

And I think it likely that we will alternate lotus rounds and non lotus rounds ;)
    Last edited by dte; 05-21-2024 at 02:44 PM.

This seemed like a strip mine/Thoughtseize week

LL but I’m pretty sure this draws the ceiling deck OTP at least.

dte: Thassa's Oracle, Island, Daze, Mox sapphire, LL too fast

Discard in 2024? WW

Discard in 2024? WW

I thought people might play this deck but discounted the chrono as a threat. LL

DD

4W 2D 6L = 14/36

Sep 2011

My other contender was Mox+Thassa. It felt like this round would be a lot of T1 deck 3-3s, so I tried this instead.

Since you have to Shoal on your turn, Force of Negation works, so you can't 1-shot me. Then I play Chrono and grow Chrono. You can try to draw by saving Shoal vs Chrono. If save Force for Shoal X=12, then you can at most make an 8/1. I can grow Chrono to 9/9 before an unblocked 8/1 would kill me (e.g. take 10 hits from 1/1 goblin first, then Chrono can safely block). Then Chrono grows to 22/22 and wins.
    WW 6-0

OTP If I play Chrono, I can't pay for Daze and lose to Thassa. So I never play Chrono so I can pay for Daze. Draw.
    OTD I can't pay for Daze.
    DL 1-4

I play T1 Chrono, Subtlety your Thassa (Subtlety counters Cavern + Thassa), then Strip Mine your Caverns so you can't play it again.
    WW 6-0

OTP I play Chrono. If you Therapy, I Strip Mine and win, so you play Chrono. I Subtlety it and you Daze, so Chrono resolves. Then I wait with Strip Mine open. You play Sea. If I Strip Mine you now, you grow in response and win, so I just EOT grow and we both grow forever and draw. Or I can force the draw by not countering your Chrono (Sea stays in play), then just Strip Mining you when we have 2 1/1s.
    OTD If you start with Chrono, I counter, you Daze and Chrono resolves. I play Chrono. Chronos draw again. If you T1 Therapy, I allow it, you take Chrono, then I Strip Mine you off Chrono.
    DD 2-2

OTP T1 Chrono. I counter your first play and Strip Mine you off the 2nd. Win.
    OTD you T1 Thoughtseize, I Force. Chrono can't race Mayor, so I have to Strip Mine you.
    WD 4-1

OTP T1 Chrono. You play something, I Force it and Strip Mine you.
    OTD is more complicated.
    If you start with 3sphere, I have to Force it. I play Chrono. If you play Bridge, I Strip Mine you off Tongs and the 1/1 Chrono attacks through. If you play Tongs, I Strip Mine you off Bridge and 1/1 Chrono barely races your upkeep trigger (would not race if I had Force of Will!!)
    If you start with Tongs to race, I Force it & play Chrono. Then you can resolve Bridge or 3sphere, but I Strip Mine you off the other and the 1/1 attacks through.
    If you start with Bridge, I allow it and play Chrono. Then you play 3sphere or Tongs, I Force it, Strip Mine you, and my 1/1 attacks through Bridge.
    WW 6-0

7 wins, 4 draws, 1 loss (25 points)

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    How would that be legal? OTP you do have your token, whatever the other deck is doing you can pump it to 20/1 haste, and you should be able to draw?
    Goblins too strong :/
    I'll write 6-0 for now.
    I think the deck is legal. Shoal can't be cast until there is a Goblin in play.

Chancellor triggers on the first upkeep. In response, ceiling deck can play Lotus + Burning Inquiry + Ravager. There is no legal target to Shoal yet. After the stack resolves, there is only a 1/1 haste Goblin vs 3/3 blocker.

Thread Information