Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    We're at 6 entries, missing FTW and GoblinSmashmaster from the recent regulars. They're both usually active in these hours, so I'm going to go climbing and grocery shopping, then post the lists around 6pm EST (~5 hours from now), or a bit earlier if I get both.
    That combination sounds like a future extreme sport.

I'm glad I waited. Here we go!

Season 14: Round 14 Lists

1. silkster: Agonizing Remorse, Prohibit, Skrelv's Hive, Pendelhaven
    2. Asthereal: Durkwood Baloth, Prohibit, Solitude, Skyknight Vanguard
    3. dte: Sheltered Valley, Time Vault, Steel Overseer, Voltaic Servant
    4. Wrath of Pie: Blast Zone, Selesnya Sanctuary, Generous Gift, Elixir of Immortality
    5. Dooey: Squee, the Immortal, Dwarven Hold, Lapse of Certainty, Sudden Edict
    6. jfb1337: Windfall, Acorn Harvest, Savannah, Swords to Plowshares
    7. GoblinSmashmaster:Volcanic Island, Basalt Monolith, Power Artifact, Red Sun's Zenith
    8. FTW: Mana Crypt, Barbed Shocker, Dromar's Charm, Arcbound Ravager

Salted entry: Agonizing Remorse, Prohibit, Skrelv's Hive, Pendelhaven, go my mites!

I'd like to be the first to acknowledge and appreciate that Red Sun's Zenith has art that is full of goblins. Though I think those goblins might be getting smashed rather than doing the smashing.

Here's me, licking my wounds and playing cheap interaction again. Skrelv's Hive feels like a significant upgrade from Dreadhorde Invasion, and not requiring black mana is nice too.

Prohibits trade, so it's an easy win on the play. On the draw, you make blockers as fast as I make attackers, but Pendelhaven does work. But does it do work faster enough to get out ahead before the Baloth comes down. I really want it to because I want Pendelhaven to be relevant, but I'm not sure it does. (Further analysis shows that you can kill on the turn that Baloth resolves while stopping me from enabling corrupted.)
    WL

I was just thinking that Steel Overseer felt overdue. I almost played it with Workshops and Lodestone Golem last round, though the Lupine was certainly the better choice.
    Counter the Servant and then race the Overseer?
    On the draw, I attack on turn 6 with 4 mites into an untapped 5/5. You kill one. So it's 6/6 vs 4 mites (one summoning sick), 3p - 15 life.
    On each subsequent turn, I attack with 4 mites and gain 5 life, killing from poison in 3 more turns. I don't think Time Vault helps, since I'm never just 2 attacks from dying.
    WW

4. Wrath of Pie: Blast Zone, Selesnya Sanctuary, Generous Gift, Elixir of Immortality
    My interaction lines up very well with your spells. Blast Zone is on time to catch the Hive when you're on the play, but then you can't cast other spells. Gifting your land on turn one loses to the infestation of mites.
    WD

Discard or kicked counter clears the way for Hive, which lines up very well against your blocker and removal.
    WW

Kicked Prohibit plus mites is winning. If you could make 4 1/1s, the race might be on, but you have to spend too much mana for that and then I can counter the second one safely.
    WW

7. GoblinSmashmaster:Volcanic Island, Basalt Monolith, Power Artifact, Red Sun's Zenith
    Counter on Power Artifact is good. Interestingly, a second land would make a draw, but it really doesn't fit into the deck.
    WW

Come back, my Nullhide Ferox! I really thought several people would play Barbed Shocker or Windfall or the like last round.
    I keep looking in vain for another land that makes 2 mana on turn 1. I keep forgetting about Mana Crypt because I'm usually playing slightly slower win conditions. At first I wondered why the Ravager wasn't a Steel Overseer to better race the Mana Crypt damage, but I eventually figured it out.
    Discard is WL.

This went better than expected, and I'm not quire sure why. When Dread Fugue + Prohibit didn't win enough to be banned, I thought the time but discard + conditional counter might be done. I hoped the exile part might be very relevant, but I it was the improved threat that really mattered.

Remorse into hive, LL

Edict your first threat, lapse your second, you don't have the mana to kick prohibit. WW

You slow roll your threats to conserve mana and cast whatever I lapse twice. Whichever one sticks kills me. LL

If I lapse your elixir you just recast it, LL

OTP I get my land into play, lapse whatever you cast, and squee ignores swords. OTD if you lead land windfall I have to lapse it, at which point you have to wait until next turn to harvest, and can only harvest once. I edict one squirrel, and squee outraces the other (even after I have to wait 8 turns for the mana). WW

Lapse on power artifact and can't recast. Zenith can kill squee a few times but he keeps coming back. WW

You lead crypt->shocker. I edict it. You then wait until you untap so you can cast ravager off crypt mana and hold up charm. You take 3 damage, but can get in enough damage before I can get squee out that I can't win the race. Squee still blocks forever though. DD

6W2D.

Squee coming back from exile was more relevant than I expected. Lapse would have won me more games than prohibit though.
    Last edited by Dooey; 02-16-2023 at 08:58 PM.

Feb 2014

I don't think Time Vault helps, since I'm never just 2 attacks from dying.
    Depends what you mean by "helps", using vault I can get you down to four. So it does help a bit, but is unsufficient.
    Otherwise I thought in bannathons we were not adding the new sets anymore?
    0-6

0-6.

Me, playing a deck that tries to explot a loophole in the loop rules and get draws with time vault thanks to valley.

0-6

6-0

3-3

3-3

3-3

Damn, did not manage to get a single draw by stealing 99% of the turns with a servant staring at an army on the opposite side of the valley :(
    I should have played prohibit rather than overseer, would hae gotten 29 with a few draws. I wanted to stick to a monobrawn theme from last round.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for round 14:
    2. Asthereal: Durkwood Baloth, Prohibit, Solitude, Skyknight Vanguard <-me
    I wanted to play something fun-ish. Let's see how Vanguard does.

1. silkster: Agonizing Remorse, Prohibit, Skrelv's Hive, Pendelhaven WL
    OTP I drop my hand, Prohibits cancel eachother out, Vanguard is actually better than Hive. OTD you get to use Remorse and I lose.
    3. dte: Sheltered Valley, Time Vault, Steel Overseer, Voltaic Servant WW
    Prohibit Servant or Time Vault, Soliture Overseer, Baloth stomps.
    4. Wrath of Pie: Blast Zone, Selesnya Sanctuary, Generous Gift, Elixir of Immortality WW
    I Prohibit Elixir, after which you can kill one of my threats, but I gain an Elephant, and Blast Zone can only kill one of my threats, so the other kills you.
    5. Dooey: Squee, the Immortal, Dwarven Hold, Lapse of Certainty, Sudden Edict LL
    Split second is neat. I reckoned I'd be able to use Prohibit to save one of my guys, but I can't.
    6. jfb1337: Windfall, Acorn Harvest, Savannah, Swords to Plowshares WL
    OTP I drop Vanguard and sus Baloth. You Windfall, I counter for 4 mana. Then you StP Vanguard and I Solitude one of your tokens, after which Baloth wins.
    OTD you play Savannah and cast Windfall for mana from Sav and UB from the opening mana. I have to counter for 4 mana, keeping G. From here you just make 2 tokens and StP my Baloth.
    7. GoblinSmashmaster:Volcanic Island, Basalt Monolith, Power Artifact, Red Sun's Zenith WW
    Prohibit, kicked, stops Zenith. Your deck doesn't do wnything else, so Baloth wins it.
    8. FTW: Mana Crypt, Barbed Shocker, Dromar's Charm, Arcbound Ravager WW
    I Solitude your Shocker, I Prohibit-kicked your Charm and Baloth defeats a 2/2 Ravager.

Total: 30 points?
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Otherwise I thought in bannathons we were not adding the new sets anymore?
    I asked about Brothers' War on November 16. The responses were in favour of including it, so I went with that. I also appreciate the simplicity of not including it as an exception to "Vintage legal - Unfinity".

I noted in the opening of round 13 that Phyrexia: All Will Be One was not yet legal, and then again in round 14 that it is now legal.

Happy birthday, Wrath of Pie!

GoblinSmashmaster, nice job fitting Goblins into the artwork that last round. I see what you did there ;)

Sep 2011

Edit: Agree
    Last edited by FTW; 02-17-2023 at 08:21 PM.

Sep 2011

1. silkster: OTP Shocker takes your hand, counter Prohibit.
    OTD Remorse takes Charm (if you take anything else, you can't resolve Hive through Charm). You then play Hive. I play Shocker with starting mana (no mana to kick Prohibit) and attack, discarding Prohibit. Then I play Crypt + Ravager and sacrifice Crypt. Then...

1 token [S=17] / attack with 2 2/2s [S=13]
    2 token [S=12, F=1 poison] / attack with Shocker [S=10]
    3 token, attack with 2, Ravager blocks 1, Pendelhaven pump to 2/3, Ravager puts counters on Shocker [S=9, F=2 poison] / attack with 4/4 [S=5]
    4 token, attack with 3 [S=4, F=5 poison] lifelink now enabled / attack with 4/4 [S=0]
    Win for me?

I think I just barely win the race by stalling you getting me to 3 poison to delay lifelink. Does that look right?

If so, then your optimal line is to draw by letting me counter Hive. Remorse takes Shocker, Charm counters Hive, then Prohibit counters Ravager to draw.
    WD 4-1?

2. Asthereal: OTP Shocker, you Solitude [F=22], I Charm but you kick Prohibit, then you Suspend Baloth. I play T2 Ravager & sacrifice Crypt [F=19]. Baloth resolves on your turn 6. After my turn 6, Ravager has dealt 8 damage [A=12]. Then Baloth resolves and drops me to F=14. Despite how slow Baloth is to resolve, it still races my 2/2. LL 0-6

3. dte: OTP shocker takes your hand.
    OTD you play your hand. Charm counters Servant so I can actually get a turn. Then I play Shocker and T2 Ravager, but Overseer + life gain stabilizes fast enough.
    WL 3-3

4. Wrath of Pie: OTP Shocker takes your hand, Charm counters Gift.
    OTD see above. You must play Blast Zone & Elixir (otherwise same as OTP). Charm must counter Elixir. Then I play Crypt + Shocker but do not attack (you can make 3/3 blocker). You may or may not play Sanctuary, either way you have 1 land in hand. Then I play Ravager and attack with Shocker. You can't win by blocking (I make Shocker 4/4 trample) and Shocker would discard land + Gift, so you must Gift before that. If you Gift any of my permanents instead, I have 2 creatures of different cmc and Blast Zone cannot stop both (especially the 3/3 token). Either way, I win.
    WW 6-0

5. Dooey: The worst I can do is draw by letting you Edict Shocker, countering Lapse, and make 2/2 Ravager stare at 2/1 Squee. You can't afford to attack because Ravager deals damage before Squee comes down.
    DD 2-2?

6. jfb1337: OTP Shocker takes your hand, Charm counters StP. You can flashback to make 2 tokens, but 2 2/2s beat that.

OTD is complicated due to your mana constraints.
    1) If you lead with Windfall (WGR left), I counter with Charm. I play Shocker. If you StP (GR left), you don't have enough mana to cast Acorn Harvest from hand so you can't make threats and lose to Ravager. If you don't StP, Shocker discards StP & Acorn, you can make 2 tokens, but Ravager + Shocker beats that. Win
    2) If you do nothing and hold mana open, same as OTP. Win.
    3) If you lead with Acorn Harvest [WG left] and then flashback, I let them resolve. 4 tokens. I play Crypt & Shocker & pass, then turn 2 Ravager, holding up Charm to counter StP. Then I leave 2/2 shocker to block your tokens while 2/2 Ravager attacks. 4 tokens can't win through a 2/2 blocker. If you gangblock Ravager, you lose 2 tokens and then modular moves counters over, so 4/4 shocker wins. Win.
    4) If you lead with a single Acorn Harvest [WU left] (threatening Windfall), I let it resolve. 2 tokens. I play Crypt + Shocker and don't attack. If you Windfall [0 mana left], I counter with Charm. Then I play Ravager, make Shocker 4/4 and trample past your tokens to discard StP and win. You won't have the mana to respond with StP or flashback more tokens. Win.
    If you don't Windfall and instead StP my Shocker (either with starting W or with Savannah on turn 2), you don't have the mana to threaten T2 Windfall, so I can safely counter StP with Charm, then play T2 Ravager (now Windfall is irrelevant). You can flashback 2 more tokens. As above, I can beat 4 tokens by attacking with 2/2 Ravager and leaving 2/2 shocker to block. You can't win through a 2/2 blocker. If you trade with Ravager, it makes Shocker 4/4 to win. Win.

I think I can win under all lines?
    WW 6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Shocker discards your hand. OTD Charm stops your combo. You could try to RSZ for 0 to hide it in your library, then slowly RSZ my creatures, but I can just counter RSZ to stop that. WW 6-0

Edit: Ravager can't put modular counters on Shocker, which loses me 5 pts OTD.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-17-2023 at 08:22 PM.

You may want to read the reminder text for modular more closely.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    You may want to read the reminder text for modular more closely.
    Oh wow.

Well Arcbound Ravager makes little sense in the deck then. The point was to both eat Mana Crypt and grow Shocker. Otherwise it should have been a better creature or Donate.

Vs Silkster: I can no longer race Hive. WL 3-3
    Vs Asthereal: Still LL 0-6
    Vs dte: Still WL 3-3
    Vs Wrath: I can't trample through a 3/3 blocker anymore. WD 4-1
    Vs Dooey: Still DD 2-2
    Vs jfb: OTD I can only draw vs 4 1/1s. So you cast Acornx2 + StP, each can trade with a 2/2, I can only counter 1. WD 4-1
    Vs Goblins: still WW 6-0

22 points (6 wins, 4 draws, 4 loss)

It only affected the disagreements with Wrath & silk and the match vs jfb.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-17-2023 at 01:26 PM.

The cards joining the banlist are:
    Agonizing Remorse
    Arcbound Ravager
    Barbed Shocker
    Blast Zone
    Dromar's Charm
    Durkwood Baloth
    Elixir of Immortality
    Generous Gift
    Mana Crypt
    Pendelhaven
    Prohibit
    Selesnya Sanctuary
    Skrelv's Hive
    Skyknight Vanguard
    Solitude.

I'll open the round tomorrow (a little late, yes), and it will end on Thursday, which should be fine as I would generally expect that we would take a week off as we regroup for dte's season 15. (Have you decided on a format?)

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

LOL I gambled on Vanguard and immediately got it banned.

Anyway, I got round 13 to add up in the Table tab of the spreadsheet, but the code for the round 14 row doesn't work, despite being the exact same as the rest. Weird stuff.
    We may have to do that one manually.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

The as we regroup for dte's season 15. (Have you decided on a format?)
    I have, but I will wait until yours is over before talking about it, otherwise it is only confusing.
    Especially as it will come with plenty of details.
    And I would like to say to that if anyone wants to organize one as well, don't hesitate!

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    LOL I gambled on Vanguard and immediately got it banned.

Anyway, I got round 13 to add up in the Table tab of the spreadsheet, but the code for the round 14 row doesn't work, despite being the exact same as the rest. Weird stuff.
    We may have to do that one manually.
    Skyknight Vanguard was an awesome find. I'm not surprised it got banned right away.

Thanks for updating the scores. I tried changing the settings to recalculate values every minute, but still no luck. I'm not sure what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I have, but I will wait until yours is over before talking about it, otherwise it is only confusing.
    Especially as it will come with plenty of details.
    And I would like to say to that if anyone wants to organize one as well, don't hesitate!
    I like this, and waiting to give all the details makes sense. It builds suspense and it keeps the current focus on the final round at hand. Speaking of which...

THE FINAL ROUND (15) OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 15, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is d3ad4ab097f10f5ee83281e3a1f24ebea5b5a87e54b760f1497238345dc23103

[B]DEADLINE: Thursday, February 23th at 1:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5).
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Beloved Princess, Locked in the Cemetery, Wayward Guide-Beast, Hero of Leina Tower.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above each other, and with your Username and 4CB S14R15 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R15
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 

Missing jfb1337 and FTW, but I think it makes sense to post anyway, which I will do in about 30 minutes after I get a few other things sorted out.

Thread Information