Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

1. silkster (TO): Through the Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation

Misstep is blank here. LL 0-6, 0 total

2. dte: flash, Thassa's Oracle, silence, Tibalt's Trickery

Blast your flash, Misstep silence, Unsub trickery. WW 6-0, 6 total

3. Dooey: Angel's Grace, Veil of Summer, Flash, Thassa's Oracle

Blast flash and misstep veil. WW 6-0, 12 total

4. FTW: Savage Summoning, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Mindbreak Trap

If I don't play Tidehollow, if you cast your own tidehollow I unsub it and blast your unsub. If I play tidehollow, I turn on mindbreak trap. DD 2-2, 14 total

5. jfb1337: Mana Short, Tibalt's Trickery, Black Lotus, Thassa's Oracle

When I'm OTP you mana short and I blast, then unsub trickery when you cast it, then Tidehollow and take oracle. OTD I can't beat oracle + trickery + mana short. WL 3-3, 17 total

6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: leyline of anticipation, laboratory maniac, street wraith, pact of negation

Unsub labman and blast pact. WW 6-0, 23 total

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Wheel and Deal, Angel's Grace

Blast wheel, unsub Pyro, and my 2/2 beats your 1/1. WW 6-0, 29 total

8. BirdsOfParadise: Fountain of Cho, Path to Exile, Sliver Queen, Solitude

When I'm OTP, I cast tidehollow. You must cast solitude in response to the trigger or I take it, blast sliver queen, and misstep path. Then I let tidehollow die and take sliver queen (Note if I unsub solitude you just cast it again and it's also a draw). When I'm OTD, if you cast sliver queen I blast it and unsub solitude so you don't cast it and it's still a draw. DD 2-2, 31 total

9. Symbi: Mental Misstep, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Red Elemental Blast

Thats me!

10. Asthereal: Wistful Thinking, Silence, The Rack, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Unsub silence, blast wistful, misstep rack, but I can't beat tabernacle. DD 2-2, 33 total

11. Reeplcheep: Tidehillow Sculler, Laboratory Maniac, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of Lifeforce

Unsub tidehollow and blast labman (when it's on the battlefield). WW 6-0, 39 total

12. Wrath of Pie: Leyline of Anticipation, Manamorphose, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation

Unsub thoracle and blast pact. WW 6-0, 45 total

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I was really worried when the first three entries all crushed mine (there was a resubmission).

I found Angel's Grace pretty early on as a counter to Thassa's Oracle, but then I had flashbacks to that time that I played Call to the Netherworld to go 4-1 against the obvious best deck of the round (Burning Inquiry) and then only one person played it. I tried to vow not to make the mistake of metagaming against what I thought was the clear best deck, though I think it took less than a season for me to repeat my mistake.
    Good lesson learned!

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Thassa"

1. silkster (TO): Through the Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation
    Goblin smash! 6-0

Tricky Tibalt silences me :( 0-6

Goblin smash! 6-0

Goblin stare 2-2

Tricky Tibalt shorts me :( 0-6

6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: leyline of anticipation, laboratory maniac, street wraith, pact of negation
    Goblin smash! 6-0

7. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Wheel and Deal, Angel's Grace
    That's me still playing Goblins!!

Goblin smash! 6-0

9. Symbi: Mental Misstep, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Red Elemental Blast
    Too many counters :( 0-6

10. Asthereal: Wistful Thinking, Silence, The Rack, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
    Goblin smash! 6-0

11. Reeplcheep: Tidehillow Sculler, Laboratory Maniac, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of Lifeforce
    What a maniac :( 0-6

12. Wrath of Pie: Leyline of Anticipation, Manamorphose, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation
    Goblin smash! 6-0

38 Goblin points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 10-26-2022 at 05:14 PM.

That's a really slick play. I love it.
    I went with labman because with a draw spell I could force action using my draw step and then cycle. The leyline was for instant speed.
    The idea was, I got to have one protection spell, two cards for the combo, and a third to answer timing, plus leyline because I needed to do this all at instant speed

BoP’s score for round “I didn’t read Thassa’s Oracle”:

I didn’t read Thassa’s Oracle.
    It does appear that I can pick up a win because Mindbreak Trap doesn’t work against me and Fountain of Cho counters bounce. Six points.
    I only have one removal ready T0 or T1. You jam Lab Man, I use Solitude, you counter it, you go Street Wraith, you win.
    Wheel and Deal is an instant. You can empty my hand with the Chancellor trigger on the stack. Goblin smash.
    Back when I was a kid I heard about this card called Sliver Queen. I took all my savings and bought an absolutely huge number of booster packs — five, to be specific — hoping to get a Sliver Queen. I got a bunch of Spikes and some Hornet Cannons, but no Sliver Queen.
    You go Sculler. With its ETB on the stack, I evoke Solitude because I don’t want to die (and I’d die if Sculler took Solitude). You cast Unsubstantiate on Solitude the spell. I evoke Solitude again, using my other white card. We draw. 2-2, that’s eight so far for me.
    OTP you use Wistful to empty my hand. When I am OTP, I cast Sliver Queen (only thing I can cast). Tabernacle gets rid of it and storage land can’t save it.
    Fountain of Cho is too slow to cast Path to Exile. Tidehollow Sculler trades with Solitude and then Lab Man wins.

Oof, not much luck for Team Storage Land this time!

Total: 8 pt
    Last edited by BirdsOfParadise; 10-26-2022 at 12:09 PM.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round overthinking overanalysing separates the body from the mind:

1. silkster (TO): Through the Breach, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation, Pact of Negation LL
    2. dte: flash, Thassa's Oracle, silence, Tibalt's Trickery LL
    3. Dooey: Angel's Grace, Veil of Summer, Flash, Thassa's Oracle LL
    4. FTW: Savage Summoning, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Mindbreak Trap WW
    Yay for Nacle getting a game.
    5. jfb1337: Mana Short, Tibalt's Trickery, Black Lotus, Thassa's Oracle LL
    6. FourDogsinaHorseSuit: leyline of anticipation, laboratory maniac, street wraith, pact of negation LL
    7. GoblinSmashmaster: Chancellor of the Forge, Pyrokinesis, Wheel and Deal, Angel's Grace LL
    8. BirdsOfParadise: Fountain of Cho, Path to Exile, Sliver Queen, Solitude WW
    Either Whistful or Nacle gets your Queen, and you can't stop the Rack.
    9. Symbi: Mental Misstep, Tidehollow Sculler, Unsubstantiate, Red Elemental Blast DD
    Stare contest after we stop each other's wincon. Unsubstantiate on Silence ruins my day here. I can't replay it, lacking white mana, so you get to have Misstep for Rack and we trade all our resources.
    10. Asthereal: Wistful Thinking, Silence, The Rack, The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale <-me
    11. Reeplcheep: Tidehillow Sculler, Laboratory Maniac, Leyline of Anticipation, Leyline of Lifeforce LL
    12. Wrath of Pie: Leyline of Anticipation, Manamorphose, Thassa's Oracle, Pact of Negation LL

Total: 14 points

Yeah, simple plan of insta-launching Thassa's Orcale in whatever fashion is just better. I had like 10 decks in my gauntlet, and ended up meta'ing completely wrong.
    Also, it helps if you read your cards. I had Leyline in my deck for so long I ended up forgetting that Whistful is a sorcery. Ouch.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    What if I put both wraith-cycle and labman on the stack at the same time?
    Yes this works. I should have realized this since it’s similar to what I do against goblinsmashmaster.
    Although he disagrees?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Yes this works. I should have realized this since it’s similar to what I do against goblinsmashmaster.
    Although he disagrees?
    They probably got confused by all the flash decks and assumed stopping the combo and having any body left over was enough.

From what I can see, there are only two disagreements in the spreadsheet. One was resolved in discussion, and in the other I think Chancellor of the Forge wins against the double leyline deck. Leylines is forced to act to stop the goblin, and once one creature is committed to the board, Wheel and Deal forces the other out and then Pyrokinesis takes them both out.

I'll update the ban list later today when I'm at a computer and I'll open the round in a day or two.

I am forced to act, but similarly to the streetwraith deck I can put both on the stack. This means the sculler etb will trigger while the lab man is on the stack. So wheel does nothing and it is impossible to confluence both.

From what I can see, there are only two disagreements in the spreadsheet. One was resolved in discussion, and in the other I think Chancellor of the Forge wins against the double leyline deck. Leylines is forced to act to stop the goblin, and once one creature is committed to the board, Wheel and Deal forces the other out and then Pyrokinesis takes them both out.

I'll update the ban list later today when I'm at a computer and I'll open the round in a day or two.
    If leylines casts Labman, holds priority and then also casts sculler then wheel and Deal is dead.
    When sculler resolves it's trigger goes on the stack. Smasher can respond with Pyrokensis, or it can lose the pyrokensis to the tirgger. Both outcomes will leave: Kenesis unplayable. Labman on the stack.
    Labman Resolves. Goblins has no answer until the draw step.

Sep 2011

If leylines casts Labman, holds priority and then also casts sculler then wheel and Deal is dead.
    When sculler resolves it's trigger goes on the stack. Smasher can respond with Pyrokensis, or it can lose the pyrokensis to the tirgger. Both outcomes will leave: Kenesis unplayable. Labman on the stack.
    Labman Resolves. Goblins has no answer until the draw step.
    I agree. Reeplcheep wins both.

GoblinSmashmaster probably thought what silkster did. It is not obvious that you can hide Lab Man from both Pyrokinesis and Wheel and Deal by leaving it on the stack. That is not normally something you do with creatures.
    Then Angel's Grace can prevent one Lab Man win, but it will win again next turn. And the 2/2 still beats a 1/1.

Yup. That's what I missed. What a fun play! (Though maybe not for Reeplcheep's victim.) Thanks for checking my thoughts.

The first round is done. Oracle and Lab Man both made the ban list, as did many other turn 0 strategies, including two Leylines and one Chancellor. I'm excited for next week, but I don't know what I'm playing yet. I'll open the round in a day or two.

The new additions to the ban list (and currently the entire list) is:

Angel's Grace
    Chancellor of the Forge
    Flash
    Laboratory Maniac
    Leyline of Anticipation
    Leyline of Lifeforce
    Mental Misstep
    Pact of Negation
    Pyrokinesis
    Red Elemental Blast
    Silence
    Thassa's Oracle
    Through the Breach
    Tibalt's Trickery
    Tidehollow Sculler
    Unsubstantiate
    Veil of Summer
    Wheel and Deal
    Last edited by silkster; 10-27-2022 at 12:45 AM.

I appreciate that I played three of the now-banned cards and still did poorly. Naturally, that means that someone will destroy the next round with Manamorphose.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    I appreciate that I played three of the now-banned cards and still did poorly. Naturally, that means that someone will destroy the next round with Manamorphose.
    If you have another way to cast Barren Glory, I'm all ears...

ROUND 2 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

After a bit of Halloween delay, I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 2, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is bb873832312d8834ad37070cedf26c77379531b53656939a648fc054713b7781.

DEADLINE: Tuesday November 1st at 1:00pm Eastern Daylight Time (GMT-4).

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Black Lotus, Ball Lightning, Bloodlust, Berserk.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S14R02 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy deckbuilding!

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I sent something bad, realized what was wrong with it about a minute after clicking "send", and sent something new immediately after. Apologies for the chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I sent something bad, realized what was wrong with it about a minute after clicking "send", and sent something new immediately after. Apologies for the chaos.
    That's faster than I realize things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    That's faster than I realize things.
    Better than my start of just be wrong.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Better than my start of just be wrong.
    My mistake being the same mistake as last week makes me worse than you, I reckon.

Thread Information