Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Vs Asthereal:
    land, lupine.
    If you play Boo, charm kills the token, if you counter it Lutri comes. So better play chronomaton, then Lutri.
    From there lupine and Lutri attack and will kill Boo, then race chronomaton?

Vs jfb I am also not completely sure. There are a few lines but maybe jfb has something OTP.
    EE for 0, counter or AA will kill M&B. Autonomous assembler with U floating.
    Minsk and Boo (no mana to cast chrono).
    attack Minsc, Boo blocks. AA is 5/6. Bounce academy and have land
    Play chrono, Boo 4/4
    attack Minsk, chrono blocks. AA is 6/7
    Boo is 7/7
    Attack Minsc with a 7/8 AA?
    Ugh, I keep forgetting the kill mode, despite the fact that I've remembered it many times in between. I'm still not sure which way this goes, but it's definitely interesting.
    OTP, Misc & Boo, token gets Charmed (countering the token doesn't help because it could be copied). Play Chronomaton. Lutri hits Misc for 3, then Lupine shows up. I make Boo 4/4. Chronomaton can chumpblock once, then Boo takes over.
    OTD, land + Lupine. M&B would die to Charm+attack. Chronomaton would meet Charm killing it and Lutri, which is too much pressure. GQ then pass. Charm discards Countersquall and Lutri comes down. I take 8, then play Boo 4/4 and Chronomaton 1/1. Lupine+Lutri can't get in, so Boo takes over. This means that Lutri needs to be kept in hand. WD?

I hadn't though of this line, but I don't think it works. I can let EE for 0 resolve. Ghost Quarter on Ruins means there isn't enough mana to play a 4/5 Assembler and crack EE. Chronomaton can block once, but then Boo grows way too big.
    EE for 0 and then Assembler as a 2/2? The 2/2 can only get in once. And there isn't mana to grow the Assembler.

4. Dooey: Greasefang, Okiba Boss, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Parhelion II, Tamiyo's Safekeeping

1. silskter: Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes, Countersquall, Ghost Quarter, Chronomaton

Agree with you, WW, +6, 6 total.

2. Asthereal: Funeral Charm, Lupine Prototype, Lutri, the Spellchaser, Quicksand

Your interaction lines up poorly with my threats, WW, +6, 12 total.

3. jfb1337: Academy Ruins, Azorious Chancery, Engineered Explosives, Autonomous Assembler

Disagreement. Tamiyo's safekeeping also gives indestructible. WW for me? +6, 18 total.

5. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce

Player on the play wins, WL, +3, 21 total.

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Collective Brutality, Basking Rootwalla, Mox Emerald, Empty the Warrens

I win the race and your interaction doesn't hurt me, WW, +6, 27 total.

7. dte: Blooming Marsh, Vex, Assassin's Trophy, Bitterblossom

Agree with you, LL, +0, 27 total.

8. FTW: Unmask, Force of Despair, Prohibit, Hidetsugu Consumes All

Agree with you, LL, +0, 27 total.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    3. jfb1337: Academy Ruins, Azorious Chancery, Engineered Explosives, Autonomous Assembler

8. FTW: Unmask, Force of Despair, Prohibit, Hidetsugu Consumes All
    WW (disagreement) - OTP I EE for 3 (which I can do, I have 5 colours of mana in my mana pool). If your prohibit kicked then you can't win, so it resolves, and I can then always hold it up to remove hidetsugu, while also playing assembler + recurring it through your interaction. OTD you unmask my EE. I then play ruins and recur EE, before you can exile my graveyard. Next turn I can play EE for 3, and the turn after that I can use it to kill hidetsugu, or hold up the ability to do so if you haven't played it. Note that the mana value of the back side of hidetsugu is still 3.
    Total: 8W = 24.
    Right, for some reason I forgot about WUBRG because of the lands. It looked like a normal 4CB deck.

In that case you can activate Academy Ruins early enough so that I can't Unmask + exile a card to get rid of it. LL 0-6

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's results for round 10:

1. silkster: Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes, Countersquall, Ghost Quarter, Chronomaton DL
    2. Asthereal: Funeral Charm, Lupine Prototype, Lutri, the Spellchaser, Quicksand (me)
    3. jfb1337: Academy Ruins, Azorious Chancery, Engineered Explosives, Autonomous Assembler LL
    4. Dooey: Greasefang, Okiba Boss, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Parhelion II, Tamiyo's Safekeeping LL
    5. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce WD
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Collective Brutality, Basking Rootwalla, Mox Emerald, Empty the Warrens DD
    7. dte: Blooming Marsh, Vex, Assassin's Trophy, Bitterblossom LL
    8. FTW: Unmask, Force of Despair, Prohibit, Hidetsugu Consumes All DD

Total: 9 points

Mostly clear stuff. Math against Gobbo:

OTP I make you discard twice, you get Walla, but can only make 4 goblins. You keep Mox and Empty, so you have mana to pump Walla (!).
    From here, if I attack, you can trade 2 tokens plus a pumped Walla for Lupine. Now you have 2 tokens left against my Lutri, which is 3/2.
    So we trade everything and it's a draw.

OTD: Your deck does things, A=18, G=22, I lose Charm, you have Walla plus 8 goblins. Can't pump anymore though. I make Lupine, Lutri, Quicksand.
    If you attack, I kill 3 guys, leaving 6 at 12 life. If I then attack, you can attack back for 5, then 4, then 3, which I'd lose. So I can't.
    But from here you also can't attack anymore, or you'd lose 2 more guys, leaving 4 with me at 8 life. Now I win the race.
    So we both don't have good attacks and end up staring again.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

The results have mostly settled. There's still a mismatch between FTW and me, but neither result changes the banned cards, which are:
    Academy Ruins
    Assassin's Trophy
    Autonomous Assembler
    Azorious Chancery
    Bitterblossom
    Blooming Marsh
    Chronomaton
    Countersquall
    Engineered Explosives
    Geier Reach Sanitarium
    Ghost Quarter
    Greasefang Okiba Boss
    Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes
    Parhelion II
    Tamiyo's Safekeeping
    Vex.

Next round opening momentarily. I'm going to move the deadline by 24+3 hours because it's opening late and because I won't be at my computer until a few hours later on Wednesday.

Note the different deadline this week.

ROUND 11 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 11, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is cd0d3782e531066a032e7101dc6b348c22c40055f4b09f70d5ecfa230460f741

[B]DEADLINE: Wednesday, January 18th at 4:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5).
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Steel Wall, Cinder Wall, Angelic Wall, Basking Rootwalla.

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above each other, and with your Username and 4CB S14R11 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R11
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    The results have mostly settled. There's still a mismatch between FTW and me, but neither result changes the banned cards, which are:
    I think you are right there and that it is WD.
    Saga
    Chrono
    2c
    Chrono 2/2
    3c, flip but summoning sick
    Chrono can block as 3/3.

Sep 2011

I think you are right there and that it is WD.
    Saga
    Chrono
    2c
    Chrono 2/2
    3c, flip but summoning sick
    Chrono can block as 3/3.
    I agree too.

I picked Hidetsugu thinking it raced Chronomaton types, but messed up the math somewhere. Either I forgot Chrono could block and pump to 3/3 to trade, or I forgot Hidetsugu is summoning sick when it flips.

I can only draw by trading 3/3s or by holding Hidetsugu so the ability kills Chrono.

8. jfb1337: Time Vault, Voltaic Servant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Path to Exile
    Last-minute submission.
    Note: I can't take infinite turns to draw the game.

1. silkster: Inquisition of Kozilek, Crystal Vein, Hive Mind, Summoner's Pact
    WL - Combo mirror

2. Dooey: Zirda, The Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Swan Song
    WW - OTP I win. OTD you can play ulamog but you have to exile zird and monolith, so you can olny pass the turn with one creature in play. I path it, and if you swan song then I take infinite turns with a flier in play, otherwise I take infinite turns against no blockers, and win either way.

3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top
    WL - Combo mirror

4. dte: Path to Exile, Old-Growth Dryads, Spellstutter Sprite, Inquisition of Kozilek
    DL - OTP I inquisition, you spellstutter else I take path and win. I path spellstutter to let inq resolve, and take dryads. Then I play servant and you path it. OTD you inq servant and play 2 creatures.

5. GoblinSmashmaster:Priest of Urabrask, Culling the Weak, Bladecoil Serpent, Fury
    WW - OTP I win. OTD if you go for fury I path it and win through preist, and if you go for bladecoil I path it, discard time vault and inq, play servant and win.

6. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce
    WL - OTP I win, OTD TKS takes servant, and I can't path both

7. FTW: Unmask, Force of Despair, Izzet Charm, White Plume Adventurer
    DL - OTP I inq and take WPA, but servant dies to force. OTD you play WPA, I path it, you izzet charm, I pay for it, then you unmask servant and win through initiative.

Total: 7W 2D = 23
    Last edited by jfb1337; 01-26-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Sep 2011

1. silkster: OTP Unmask Hive Mind and win with White Plume. OTD Inquisition forces out Izzet Charm and you can go off. WL 3-3

2. Dooey: OTP Unmask, you Swan Song, I Izzet Charm. Either Unmask resolves taking Zirda or you're left with only 2 starting mana and can't cast Zirda. White Plume + 2/2 bird win.
    OTD I Izzet Charm Grim Monolith and Force/Unmask Zirda, and you can only stop one. Zirda loses to White Plume. WW 6-0

3. Asthereal: OTP Unmask Grapeshot. OTD Izzet Charm on Helm still leaves you enough mana to go off!! WL 3-3

4. dte: Almost played that. Better meta choice.
    OTP Unmask Path and play White Plume. You Inquisition to clear Izzet Charm, then play a 3/3 and 1/1 (if you play Sprite sooner to steal the Initiative, it dies to Izzet Charm).
    T2 White Plume 5/5 [D=15] / Sprite steals the Initiative, search for land [F=19]
    T3 White Plume steals back & Goads the 3/3 [D=10] / Sprite & Dryad attack, Dryad dies, Sprite steals the Initiative and becomes 3/3 [F=18]
    T4 White Plume steals back & makes a 4/1 Menace [D=5] / Sprite steals Initiative and I lose 5 [F=10]
    T5 White Plume + Skeleton win
    OTD you Inquisition Force of Despair, play 2 creatures, Path White Plume, lose Sprite to Charm, and your 3/3 wins the Initiative race. I could Izzet Charm Inquisition, but you just pay 2 instead of casting Spellstutter. WL 3-3

5. GoblinSmashmaster: OTP Unmask Priest and you can't cast anything.
    OTD if you go Priest -> Culling [RRRU floating] I cast Izzet Charm, you pay RU, and you still get Bladecoil with BBBBRR (6/4 trample haste discard 2) so I have to Force that to draw. WD 4-1

6. Wrath of Pie: OTP Unmask 1 TKS, pay for Spell Pierce, and play 3/3 White Plume. You get 1 TKS, but my 5/5 vigilance keeps the initiative.
    OTD you cast 1 TKS, I Force, and you exile White Plume. Then 2nd TKS wins. WL 3-3

8. jfb1337: OTP Unmask Servant and play White Plume. It dies to Path, but I keep the Initiative and the 4/1 skeleton wins.
    OTD you Inquisition me and I Izzet Charm. If you don't pay, I Force Voltaic Servant. You can then Path White Plume, but the 4/1 skeleton wins. If you pay 2 you don't have the mana to combo. You can discard White Plume and I Force Servant to draw. WD 4-1

26 points (8 wins, 2 draw, 4 loss)

Edit: Prohibit or Spellstutter Sprite were probably both better than Izzet Charm.

Feb 2014

3-3

2. Dooey: Zirda, The Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Swan Song
    6-0, exile zirda, counter swan

3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top
    6-0, counter SDT.

4. dte: Path to Exile, Old-Growth Dryads, Spellstutter Sprite, Inquisition of Kozilek
    Me, playing good cards rather than a fun deck. But that is because all the fun decks I could build were loosing to some of those...
    Which brings a question to Silk: did you decide on how many rounds? There are a few decks I wanted to play, and just do not dare to.

5. GoblinSmashmaster:Priest of Urabrask, Culling the Weak, Bladecoil Serpent, Fury
    6-0, counter culling or discard/exile Priest.

6. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce
    3-3. OTP, I play both creature and discard pierce. I exile the first TKS, and go in for 4. From there, the second TKS cannot race, but sprite flies.

OTP, I discard Force. If you try to play izzet, I pay, discard WPA, and sprite at your upkeep, so you do not counter. Then I play dryad. I can PtE WPA with mana for izzet.
    OTD, you make me discard PtE, and play WPA. I make you discard Izzet. then I play sprite and keep dryad for it not to be goaded. You attack me with a 5/5. I steal the initiative. You attack and take it back me on 10. I play dryad, steal it again and make dryad 5/5. I win?
    Maybe not, I am not used to initiative. I'll write 6-0 for now, but it could be 3-3.

4-1 as per above. Vault/servant was on my list of fun decks made bad by PtE. Sprite does not take care of kozilek as it get pathed.

34, or maybe 31 depending of the initiative MU.

Round 11, the round of Winning on the Play.

I briefly considered playing this last week and noticed that it was doing quite well. I originally made this with Intervention Pact and I typed up my entry and my round-opening post and at the last second I decided to double check all of the cards and found that Intervention Pact had somehow already been banned despite Hive Mind still being legal. It made sense when I saw Sudden Substitution.

2. Dooey: Zirda, The Dawnwaker, Grim Monolith, Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, Swan Song WW
    3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top WL
    4. dte: Path to Exile, Old-Growth Dryads, Spellstutter Sprite, Inquisition of Kozilek WL
    5. GoblinSmashmaster:Priest of Urabrask, Culling the Weak, Bladecoil Serpent, Fury WL
    6. Wrath of Pie: Eldrazi Temple, Thought-Knot Seer, Thought-Knot Seer, Spell Pierce WL
    7. FTW: Unmask, Force of Despair, Izzet Charm, White Plume Adventurer WL
    8. jfb1337: Time Vault, Voltaic Servant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Path to Exile WL

Despite there being many different cards played, they largely amounted to the same thing. Or maybe that's just my view because I played a turn-1 deck with discard. I suspect almost all of these decks will get banned. I was going to say the almost automatic-WL decks would be going away with Inquisition, TKS, and Unmask likely all disappearing, but the find of Bladecoil Serpent makes me think that there are more turn-1 decks lurking in the shadows.

We should probably decide how many more rounds to play. I suggest the full 15 round to give people to the time to play their silliest creations (indeed, we've already some crazy stuff).

Sep 2011

Me, playing good cards rather than a fun deck. But that is because all the fun decks I could build were loosing to some of those...

OTP, I discard Force. If you try to play izzet, I pay, discard WPA, and sprite at your upkeep, so you do not counter. Then I play dryad. I can PtE WPA with mana for izzet.
    OTD, you make me discard PtE, and play WPA. I make you discard Izzet. then I play sprite and keep dryad for it not to be goaded. You attack me with a 5/5. I steal the initiative. You attack and take it back me on 10. I play dryad, steal it again and make dryad 5/5. I win?
    Maybe not, I am not used to initiative. I'll write 6-0 for now, but it could be 3-3.
    In my main line (above) I would Goad Dryad the turn before it becomes 5/5, killing it and winning the race.

Yes you can hold back Dryad to dodge Goad, but then I can play tempo around the Initiative to force you to put the counters on Sprite. Either way, you can't make 5/5 Dryad.

T1 Discard PtE, WPA - Secret Entrance / Discard Izzet, Spellstutter
    T2 Forge (5/5) Attack [D=15] / Don't play Dryad yet. Attack back - Secret Entrance [F=19]
    T3 Don't attack! / Upkeep Forge (3/3 Sprite). Don't play Dryad yet (otherwise gets Goaded and dies) [F=16]
    T4 Attack - Arena (Goad Sprite) [D=10] / Dryad. Sprite attacks - Trap [F=8]
    T5 Attack - Catacombs (4/1 Menace) [D=5]

From there it's an easy win for me.
    If Sprite attacks, you get back the Initiative but only have one blocker. Dryad must chump, you go to 1, then the 4/1 wins on the next attack.
    If you chose Arena instead of Trap [F=13], when Sprite attacks [F=10] you get a 4/1 blocker. I attack with a 5/5 and 4/1 Menace. You could gangblock to trade with either creature, but the other kills you.

WL 3-3?

Your combo is faster LL

Swan Song misses artifacts LL

More interaction than I have counters LL

Swan song on Culling lets me keep my hand, then my threat beats yours WW

T1 mirror WL

1 Protection < 2 interaction LL

OTP I get my threat out and protect it, but then you take the rest of the turns. But you can't attack because I can block. OTD you take all the turns. DL

3W1D = 10 points.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

Yes you can hold back Dryad to dodge Goad, but then I can play tempo around the Initiative to force you to put the counters on Sprite. Either way, you can't make 5/5 Dryad.

T1 Discard PtE, WPA - Secret Entrance / Discard Izzet, Spellstutter
    T2 Forge (5/5) Attack [D=15] / Don't play Dryad yet. Attack back - Secret Entrance [F=19]
    T3 Don't attack! / Upkeep Forge (3/3 Sprite). Don't play Dryad yet (otherwise gets Goaded and dies) [F=16]
    How would you goad dryad without the initiative?
    I play dryad, have 2 3/3 and the initiative vs a 5/5. I would win from there.

WW for me?

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "More discard"

Serpent smash, then discard 3-3

Counter :( 0-6

Serpent smash, then combo 3-3

Counter :( 0-6

That's me, not on Goblin combo :(

Path :( 0-6

Total: 12 points

Thread Information