Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

ROUND 3 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

After a bit of Halloween delay, I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 3, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is 6950475ee6a8f0f58e8231dc59988fe509d8936ec3dd2a63cc03b492977c9f97.

DEADLINE: Tuesday November 8st at 1:00pm Eastern Daylight Standard Time (GMT-5). Note that North America just changed their clocks for daylight.

PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Black Lotus, Ball Lightning, Bloodlust, Berserk. (Note: Black Lotus is now banned. Don't send this deck anymore.)

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S14R03 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!
    Last edited by silkster; 11-14-2022 at 02:15 AM.

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R03
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards]. 

Hi folks. My morning things went a bit long, but I see that I have 15 messages, which is hopefully everyone, so I should be posting lists in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R03
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards], [cards]CARD[/cards]. 

Indeed, including your name saves me from typing out each name. I'm not sure what php code means exactly, though.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Hi folks. My morning things went a bit long, but I see that I have 15 messages, which is hopefully everyone, so I should be posting lists in a few minutes.

Indeed, including your name saves me from typing out each name. I'm not sure what php code means exactly, though.
    it means you can add it to your post and we can copy it without quotinng

1. silkster: Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Mesmeric Fiend, Failure // Comply

2. jfb1337: Elvish spirit guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane denial
    WL. Neither can stop the other's turn 1.

3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy
    WW. I play Stage + Fiend and remand the Trophy so that I can always catch it.

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    WW. On the play, I grab the Diamond and remand the Wheel, then beat the zombies. On the draw, I bounce Wheel if you go for it and I bounce the Floorboards if you try for X>3. Then I have 4 turns before you can do stuff again during which I can get 2 attacks.

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the aeons torn, sneak attack
    WL. Can't stop Inquiry twice, but on the play I can Fiend the Inquiry and bounce the Sneak.

6. ReeplcheepMalakir Rebirth, Grief, Spellstutter Sprite, Mardu Charm
    WW. I don't even bother trying to cast spells. I had to read Mardu Charm. I had no idea whether I was going to win this one when I saw just the list.

7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter
    DL. On the play, I lead on Fiend while paying for Chancellor. If you don't counter, I take your Solitude and win. If you do counter, I can then bounce your Smiter for a draw. On the draw, you play Smiter and smash because I can't use all my cards and pay Chancellor tax.

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightend Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, void rend
    WW. Void Rend is no matter to me.

9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit
    WW. Bouncing the Burning Inquiry strands cards in your hand.

10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit
    LL. Stupid Boseiju's showing up at the end. I was 1 point away from banning it last round.

11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    LL. I was so close to playing an anti-Boseiju card, though I'm still not sure if it would have been better overall. I'm not sure if you already knew, but I'm a big fan of this deck.
    (Edit: looks like playing an anti-Boseiju card wins me 12 points here and only costs me 7 points against jfb1337, dte, and Asthereal.)

12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    For a while I thought you couldn't win because my mental model of Restore Balance is "players discard their hands", but you can hold Ertai until afterward. Which is funny because if there's any deck that I would say is "my deck" it would be Gemstone Mine + Restore Balance.
    But if I just hold the counter for Ertai, then you can't make a threat. DD?

12W, 3D, 7L = 39

I found choosing a deck this week very difficult. I could think of 4 win conditions that I thought would see play, ruled out 2 pretty quickly, then waffled between the last two and also what other cards the last two would play. I eventually settled on Depths figuring that Trophy really should be better than Boseiju most of the time. The only deck I predicted was Barren Glory, though I didn't expect the other half to be Nether Spirit. In fact, I forgot about Nether Spirit altogether. The other decks I was expecting didn't show up at all, and instead it was this total chaos, which is great!

Also, thanks for the php code. I'll include that or something close when I open the next round.

With the 2 leylines banned I thought it was time for discard to come out of hiding. Also this is also the only time I’ll ever get to T0 Thoughtseize.

I did not expect marit lage with how much solitude had already been played. LL 0-6

No targets for sprite. WL 3-3

3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy
    OTP I get both your spells. OTD you can trophy sprite to force through elixir. So in response to elixir I charm your trophy, then counter it and win the race with hardcast grief. WW 6-0

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    Discard your wheel, counter your LED. WW 6-0

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the aeons torn, sneak attack
    OTP I take everything. OTD I counter burning and charm if you cast sneak attack. If you don’t sneak a 1/1 goblin won’t win the race as I can hardcast the 3/2. I can’t charm emrakul. Grief your inquiry and then trade faerie for goblin. WD 4-1

Lapse trades with grief, charm trades with smiter. DD 2-2

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightend Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, void rend
    Leyline is banned I believe. WW 6-0?

Charm in response to show and tell, sprite inquiry. My evasion is clutch. WW 6-0.

10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit
    i can’t beat tabernacle + LD. LL 0-6

11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    Same. LL 0-6

12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    Spellstutter balance. If you counter it with ertai, ertai dies to balance. If you don’t, mardu charm kills him. I don’t think I can win however. DD 2-2

10 W 5 D 7 L for 35/66.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    6. Reeplcheep[cards]8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightend Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, void rend
    cool

This means I beat you on the draw and lose on the play, because the rules say I get to replace the leyline with a land.

Feb 2014

1-4, OTP you have to fail BI, then play fiend, and you lack 1 mana for stage.

First MU already wrong!
    3-3.

0-6

6-0: play or draw do not matter as your lands come into play tapped. It costs you 3 of the 5 initial manas to shuffle, while I pay inquiry with my land.

6-0. The mirror! my kill is faster.

Me, thinking karakas, tabernacle-bosejiu and wheel deck where what would see play.

1-4. OTD grief, OTP If you charm my attack, I attack with den. If you dont, I play it and win.

6-0. you get an elephant, but I get a bigger beast.

6-0. BI does not target.

6-0. BI mirror, or sneak vs show. If you show, I get emrakul and anihilate the glory. So I can play BI.

6-0. I metagamed against that.

Between 2-2 and 6-0. I have absolutely no clue how we shuffle our libraries and what is the obtained order. We have to shuffle them in a way that is most detrimental to each of us. Somehow it would make sense to me that as the active player when we resolve BI I order mine first, but that is also what arranges me the most :D
    I will leave that to the forum.
    2-2 is the most likely though.

2-2. If you ever play grove, I anyhilate it, and you bosejiu my sneak attack.
    However I am very curious about the rules regarding "simultaneous" shuffling. Here it is not simultaneous, the two triggers go on the stack, APNAP means your library is ordered first, then mine.

6-0, I you do not Ertai BI, I win. If you do, I win.
    48 I think.
    Last edited by dte; 11-08-2022 at 03:09 PM.

TBF I waited to play this deck specifically until both Leyline of sanctity and Leyline of Anticipation were banned. It does suck to get dq’d for this stuff but that’s inevitable in a bannathon.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    This means I beat you on the draw and lose on the play, because the rules say I get to replace the leyline with a land.
    I can at least charm you T0 for the draw. Working it out: If you go first, I let you make your 2/1. I grief exiling charm, stacking the evoke trigger on the bottom. If you let me take rend or cast it doesn’t matter, either way I get it back with rebirth. Then evasive 3/2 and 1/1 beats 2/1.

How do you cast Sprite and Charm and Grief?
    Fixed above

With the 2 leylines banned I thought it was time for discard to come out of hiding. Also this is also the only time I’ll ever get to T0 Thoughtseize.

OTP I get both your spells. OTD you can trophy sprite to force through elixir. So in response to elixir I charm your trophy, then counter it and win the race with hardcast grief. WW 6-0
    How do you cast Sprite and Charm and Grief?

Discard your wheel, counter your LED. WW 6-0
    I though that GoblinSmashmaster could hold on to the LED and then you can't play the Sprite, but in that case you'll have time to evoke Grief. Nice.

Noooo, I missed this! On the plus side, was Leyline protecting against anything this round?

TBF I waited to play this deck specifically until both Leyline of sanctity and Leyline of Anticipation were banned. It does suck to get dq’d for this stuff but that’s inevitable in a bannathon.
    No DQ though. Just can't play the Leyline. I think our default rule replaces it with a basic land of your choice (which is awkward because it might actually help against Tabernacle, which I was aware of but just kinda hoped it wouldn't matter...).

Noooo, I missed this! On the plus side, was Leyline protecting against anything this round?
    The discard deck.
    But getting to replace the land (and I'm checking now) means I get to beat the tabernacle decks.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    I believe you win or draw some MUs, e.g Dooey, Asthereal or FTW, even without leyline.
    So it is sad, but not 0.
    My score actually goes up 1 point.

On the play I lead inquiry. If you let it resolve, you lose to spirit. If you failure, I show and tell and win with glory.
    On the draw, you lead on a land. If I show and tell, you put in the other land, make marit lage, and kill me before I untap with glory. If I inquiry, you failure and I'm in the same position. WL, 3 points, 3 total.

Denial counters inquiry, karn exiles barren glory. LL, 0 points, 3 total.

Inquiry beats you on the play and draw. WW, 6 points, 9 total.

Bad week to bring show and tell. LL, 0 points, 9 total.

Bad week to bring show and tell. LL, 0 points, 9 total.

Sprite beats inquiry charm beats show and tell. LL, 0 points, 9 total.

On the play I lead inquiry and pay the tax. If you let it resolve, you get a smiter, but I can chump block it forever. If you lapse it, I show and tell and win with glory. On the draw you can cast smiter first but otherwise same. DD, 2 points, 11 total.

On the play I win with inquiry. On the draw you can get your threat out and beat barren glory with void rend, but I can still recur nether spirit and block forever. WD, 4 points, 15 total.

It me. 15 total.

Boseiju beats barren glory so I'm off that plan. On the play, I inquiry and our spirits bounce off each other forever. (or you hold tabernacle, and neither of us can pay). On the draw, you get to play a land of your choice before I strip the rest with inquiry, but none of them change the result. DD, 2 points, 17 total.

Bad week to bring show and tell. LL, 0 points, 17 total.

Ertai can counter inquiry or show and tell but not both, I win with whichever isn't countered. WW, 6 points, 23 total.

WW. Bouncing the Burning Inquiry strands cards in your hand.
    When I'm on the play if you bounce inquiry, the coast is clear for me to win with barren glory.

If your inquiry is countered, isn’t Spirit stuck in your hand preventing barren glory?

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dooey View Post
    When I'm on the play if you bounce inquiry, the coast is clear for me to win with barren glory.
    Also having a permanent prevents you to win. So for instance vs FTW, you cannot win if you reanimate spirit, as Ertai would race it. in several other MUs, I think you do not win or you lose because you do not meet the conditions.
    Vs Asthereal, lapse put the card on top of your library, so you draw it again.

2. jfb1337: Elvish Spirit Guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane Denial

WL - OTP karn beats you; OTD fiend beats me.

WW - I karn and counter trophy, which you can't replay after shuffling due to having lost a mana source. I restart the game, but have to bounce rot farm back to you; however I then play ESG and counter the trophy.

DL - OTP I karn, you exile emrakul (if you exile LED or floorboards you can't do anything; if you exile wheel then I counter LED and you can't do anything). You play wheel to force the counter, then floorboards x=3. Karn then must remove one token going to 7 loyalty, then we're in a loop of you attacking karn and me +ing karn; if you attack me instead then karn gains enough loyalty to win.
    OTD you wheel, I counter it, you floorboards for X=3; which karn can't beat.

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack
    WL - OTP karn +s. Exile sneak attack, emrakul, or den and you can't win; exile inquiry and I counter sneak attack. OTD you sneak attack which I have to counter, then you inquiry, reshuffle, and win.

WL - OTP I karn, countering charm if used. OTD you charm to discard, I counter, then you grief ESG and sprite.

DD - Karn isn't stoppable, but I can't win after restarting, even with multiple restarts.

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend
    DD - If I play karn it only exiles the basic that you replace leyline with and gets rended. If you play Isao I karn it.

WW - I counter inquiry and play karn.

WW - I karn; geir reach only makes me discard the counter. You can keep nether spirit (and boseju) in your grave so Karn can't get them, but then when I restart with geir reach in play I can play karn again and do get nether spirit to restart with again and win.

WW - Karn restarts with ulamog.

DD - If you balance with Ertai on the stack I counter it, so you balance with Ertai in hand allowing me to keep the counter to counter Ertai.

Total: 11W7D = 40 points.

Edit: Fix FTW matchup.
    Edit 2: Fix Asthereal and GoblinSmashMaster matchups.
    Last edited by jfb1337; 11-09-2022 at 02:22 PM.

Thread Information