Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Vs dte I agree DD 2-2. Den attacking once and making a 1/1 is useless. But I forgot Den alone could block once with starting mana, enough to force a stare-off.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter <-me
    12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance WW? <-disagreement, I think
    Uh, your deck costs 6 mana and I impose Chancellor tax, so your standard plan won't work as you can't afford to cast both Dominance and Ertai. Right? So you have to just suspend Restore Balance and hope it's fast enough. It's not - see below.

Total: 21 points, plus what I get from the match against Gobbo, which my tired brain can't seem to wrap itself around just yet. Also barring mistakes, of course.

Against FTW
    F: Sus Balance (6)
    A: Cast Smiter
    F: (5)
    A: Attack, 16
    F: (4)
    A: Attack, 12
    F: (3)
    A: Attack, 8
    F: (2)
    A: Attack, 4
    F: (1)
    A: Attack, you die.
    I can't do my main line due to Chancellor tax. But I have multiple ways to threaten to kill Smiter: Electro-Balance, suspend Balance, or Ertai ETB trigger. I just need one to draw. I can use SSG to pay for Chancellor or chump, paying the 1. There's more than just suspend Balance and hope. Need to think about this more.

Edit: I can't block due to Solitude. If I play SSG to block or gain 2 from Solitude (+1 turn to let Balance resolve), you Memory Lapse it instead. I'll redraw SSG but lack the mana to play it or Ertai, so Smiter kills me before Balance. Instead I could Electro-Balance after Smiter, you Memory Lapse after I pay the Chancellor tax, I can't Ertai back, I redraw and suspend Balance but it's too slow. Or I can suspend Balance, attempt Ertai to destroy Smiter, use SSG to pay Chancellor tax, but then Ertai gets Memory Lapsed and Smiter kills me before Balance resolves. You have too much interaction. LL 0-6

In that case my other deck was better, scoring at least 38 and with more wins and fewer draws. Oh well.

3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy

1. silkster: Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Mesmeric Fiend, Failure // Comply - LL
    2. jfb1337: Elvish Spirit Guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane Denial - LL
    4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn - LL
    5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack - LL - You just loop Inquiry until my hand is empty, then winning is simple enough. If I ever play a permanent, Emrakul annihilates whatever is there.
    6. ReeplcheepMalakir Rebirth, Grief, Spellstutter Sprite, Mardu Charm - WL - On my play, upkeep Mardu Charm to discard Elixir is a losing line, so I cast Elixir. If you cast Mardu Charm to protect Spellstutter, then you don't have enough black mana to cast Grief and I win with Treetop Village beatdown, and if you let Elixir resolve, then I eventually get Elixir loops which you can't outrace.
    7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter - DD
    8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend - WW - Isao is nowhere near impressive enough to stop Elixir loops (although he does indeed become Enlightened, because he dies last to Trophy even if you get to regenerate him a few times), and Void Rend doesn't really stop me.
    9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit - WW - You can't expose Barren Glory to Trophy because I get Elixir via Show and Tell, and Elixir lets me recover from Inquiry easily enough.
    10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit - WW
    11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre - WW
    12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance - LL

9w2d = 29 points

I couldn't think of anything clever, and my usual emergency plan of Elspeth is rather bad, so I went with Trophy loops instead.
    Last edited by Wrath of Pie; 11-09-2022 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb1337 View Post
    From the gatherer rulings on Karn:

Thus, vs Asthereal, OTD they can prevent me from having anything in exile when I restart the game, however I restart OTP and thus am able to exile something to have in play for a second restart, which I win with.
    Smiter plus your hand doesn’t beat asthereal, since esg plus counterspell is 5 mana vs chancellor tax and counterspell.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Smiter plus your hand doesn’t beat asthereal, since esg plus counterspell is 5 mana vs chancellor tax and counterspell.
    Ah, good point; so it should be DD.

Also, vs GoblinSmashmaster I should have DL.

I filled in the sheet as best I could and fixed a few results (mostly just Barren Glory). There's a disagreement between Reeplcheep and Wrath of Pie that could actually change the bannings. The highlighted results are ones that either disagree or that I already changed.

I plan to lock in the bannings either tonight or tomorrow night, and then open round 4 not too long after.

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    There's a disagreement between Reeplcheep and Wrath of Pie that could actually change the bannings. The highlighted results are ones that either disagree or that I already changed..
    WoP line seems right for 3-3 vs Reeplcheep.

I agree with Wrath of Pie going 3-3 against Reeplcheep, which means that Grief and Mardu Charm live to see the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    3. Wrath of Pie: Treetop Village, Golgari Rot Farm, Elixir of Immortality, Assassin's Trophy

9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit - WL - You can't expose Barren Glory to Trophy on my play because I get to cast Elixir, and Elixir lets me recover from Inquiry easily enough.
    Wrath as 3-3 and Dooey has 6-0, but I actually think this is 6-0 for Wrath. If Dooey leads on Inquiry, Elixir and Village will take over. If Dooey leads on Barren Glory, I think the idea was that Wrath would have to keep the Trophy so as not to lose on the spot, but then Inquiry would catch the Elixir. But playing Barren Glory requires casting Show and Tell, and Wrath can put the Elixir into play, then Trophy the Glory and begin recurring everything.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    I agree with Wrath of Pie going 3-3 against Reeplcheep, which means that Grief and Mardu Charm live to see the next round.

Wrath as 3-3 and Dooey has 6-0, but I actually think this is 6-0 for Wrath. If Dooey leads on Inquiry, Elixir and Village will take over. If Dooey leads on Barren Glory, I think the idea was that Wrath would have to keep the Trophy so as not to lose on the spot, but then Inquiry would catch the Elixir. But playing Barren Glory requires casting Show and Tell, and Wrath can put the Elixir into play, then Trophy the Glory and begin recurring everything.
    Trophy loops are always better than I give credit for, especially when I get Elixir for free.

10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit

1. silkster: Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Mesmeric Fiend, Failure // Comply
    OTD if you play Stage on your first turn, I destroy it with Boseiju and play Tabernacle to kill your Mesmeric Fiend and win. If you don't play it first, I play Tabernacle, so you have to play it or otherwise you will run out of mana and lose your Mesmeric Fiend. Once you do, I wait for you to tap Stage, either to make Marit Lage or to pay for Tabernacle, then destroy it in response and win. If you never play Mesmeric Fiend, I get my 2/2 and win. WW

2. jfb1337: Elvish Spirit Guide, Channel, Karn Liberated, Arcane Denial
    Since you always go first in subgames I can't get a draw. LL

Can't beat this. LL

4. GoblinSmashmaster: Wheel of Fortune, Lion's Eye Diamond, From Under the Floorboards, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    OTP I have Tabernacle, OTD you overrun me with tokens. WL

5. dte: Den of the Bugbear, Burning inquiry, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn, Sneak Attack
    I can't beat this. LL

6. ReeplcheepMalakir Rebirth, Grief, Spellstutter Sprite, Mardu Charm
    Because of Tabernacle you can at most keep a 1/1, which I beat with my 2/2. WW

7. Asthereal: Chancellor of the Annex, Solitude, Memory Lapse, Loxodon Smiter
    You can't pay for Tabernacle so you can't win. Nether Spirit is a may, so I keep it in my graveyard until I've made you discard enough that you can't use Solitude. WW

8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend
    Void Rend only hits nonland permanents, so it is useless, and I have nothing that targets players so Leyline doesn't do anything either. I play Sanitarium and Tabernacle, and use Sanitarium once to get Nether Spirit. You need to play Isao to not lose, and once you do I stop attacking. You need to eventually play City of Traitors to not lose Isao to Tabernacle, so once you do I destroy City with Boseiju and Isao dies to Tabernacle, letting me win with Nether Spirit. WW

9. Dooey: Show and Tell, Barren Glory, Burning Inquiry, Nether Spirit
    If you don't Burning Inquiry, I can destroy your Barren Glory. This means we are both left with just a Nether Spirit. DD

11. Symbi: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Rushwood Grove, Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    I destroy your Grove, you destroy my Sanitarium, and then neither of us can do anything. DD

12. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Simian Spirit Guide, Electrodominance, Restore Balance
    After Restore Balance, you have a 3/2 and I have a 2/2, so I can't race you but win if you attack. DD

9W 6D 7L = 33

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterCocoa View Post
    10. RoosterCocoa: The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, Boseiju, Who Endures, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Nether Spirit
    8. FourDogsInaHorseSuit: Isao, Enlightened Bushi, City of Traitors, Leyline of Sanctity, Void Rend
    Void Rend only hits nonland permanents, so it is useless, and I have nothing that targets players so Leyline doesn't do anything either. I play Sanitarium and Tabernacle, and use Sanitarium once to get Nether Spirit. You need to play Isao to not lose, and once you do I stop attacking. You need to eventually play City of Traitors to not lose Isao to Tabernacle, so once you do I destroy City with Boseiju and Isao dies to Tabernacle, letting me win with Nether Spirit. WW
    Leyline, Being Illegal, is actually a forest.
    So I have a basic forest you can't Boseiju. Which means I can pay for Tabernacle.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I don't follow.

He needs GG1 for Channel and U1 for Arcane Denial, or U2 for Denial and GG for Channel. Then he pays 7 life to make 7 mana and cast Karn.
    So even though I have the Chancellor tax, he still has a mana to spare.

Karn lands, and starts eating my cards in hand. Whether or not I cast Smiter, it'll end up exiled, and when we restart, Smiter will be in play on his side and just kill me in 5 turns.
    If I allow him to cast Karn and let him eat my Lapse, he'll have Denial for my Solitude anyway. OTD I don't see how I force the draw.
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

I don't follow.

He needs GG1 for Channel and U1 for Arcane Denial, or U2 for Denial and GG for Channel. Then he pays 7 life to make 7 mana and cast Karn.
    So even though I have the Chancellor tax, he still has a mana to spare.

Karn lands, and starts eating my cards in hand. Whether or not I cast Smiter, it'll end up exiled, and when we restart, Smiter will be in play on his side and just kill me in 5 turns.
    If I allow him to cast Karn and let him eat my Lapse, he'll have Denial for my Solitude anyway. OTD I don't see how I force the draw.
    You can always solitude exiling chancellor plus counterspell in every subgame, so the most he can steal is smiter. If he tries to win you solitude smiter and counter what ever spell he pushes through. ESG is 3 mana so he can’t counter back. If he tries to counter the solitude you counter back and then he is missing a mana to cast ESG.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Leyline, Being Illegal, is actually a forest.
    So I have a basic forest you can't Boseiju. Which means I can pay for Tabernacle.
    Did Forest actually gain you more points than Leyline? I don't see many matchups where Leyline would have text.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Did Forest actually gain you more points than Leyline? I don't see many matchups where Leyline would have text.
    I believe so. There were a lot of lines I thought would draw that actually just kill me so I don't know if the forest did earn me the 1 more point I thought it did.

You can always solitude exiling chancellor plus counterspell in every subgame, so the most he can steal is smiter. If he tries to win you solitude smiter and counter what ever spell he pushes through. ESG is 3 mana so he can’t counter back. If he tries to counter the solitude you counter back and then he is missing a mana to cast ESG.
    The Asthereal v. Karn matchup has been a wild ride. First I thought Karn just won, then the draw line was pointed out, but we (I?) Thought it was only on the play. Then the rule about the playing restarting the game being the starting player was found. But now I see that the chancellor tax means that Karn can only play one of Denial and Guide, so the work always gets denied and the Smiter always lands in solitude. This is just the sound silliness I love in 4cb.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I believe so. There were a lot of lines I thought would draw that actually just kill me so I don't know if the forest did earn me the 1 more point I thought it did.
    Doesn't him making me exile one card out of hand just suck up my options in the subgame? I still don't see it.
    If I allow him to exile my Smiter, I can't do anything, so he'll exile the rest too and I lose to my own Solitude dude.

Or I'm an idiot. I don't know, I haven't played proper magic in years, but I still don't see it.

Doesn't him making me exile one card out of hand just suck up my options in the subgame? I still don't see it.
    If I allow him to exile my Smiter, I can't do anything, so he'll exile the rest too and I lose to my own Solitude dude.

Or I'm an idiot. I don't know, I haven't played proper magic in years, but I still don't see it.
    I don't think you have to quote me but:
    When they go off, they have two mutually exclusive options channel or esg. If they go esg it costs 4 and you counter it, then you'll have smiter. They lose.
    So they go for Karn.
    If you counter Karn or channel, they'll counter back and karn resolves. Then they plus Karn, your choices are chancellor, solitude, or smiter.
    Choose smiter.
    On your turn you do nothing. It's fine.
    On their turn they plus again. Here you evoke solitude. Your hand is empty. The only way now for either player to do anything is for them to restart the game. You can't stop this.
    Now the game is restarted. They only have smiter in play, and you immediately solitude it. They have two options: let it go, or counter it.
    If they counter it it will cost them three mana, which will lock them out of spirit guide, you counter back. All of your creatures are safe from Karn, but no one can win the game. Here Karn restarts the game and we go back to where we started.
    If they let it go and you exile the smiter they again have their two mutually exclusive options: cast spirit guide, go for Karn.
    If they go for guide, it costs four mana and you counter it. They can't counter back and now all threats are locked out.

The banlist has been updated on the spreadsheet and in the second post. I'll open the round soon.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I don't think you have to quote me but:
    When they go off, they have two mutually exclusive options channel or esg. If they go esg it costs 4 and you counter it, then you'll have smiter. They lose.
    So they go for Karn.
    If you counter Karn or channel, they'll counter back and karn resolves. Then they plus Karn, your choices are chancellor, solitude, or smiter.
    Choose smiter.
    On your turn you do nothing. It's fine.
    On their turn they plus again. Here you evoke solitude. Your hand is empty. The only way now for either player to do anything is for them to restart the game. You can't stop this.
    Now the game is restarted. They only have smiter in play, and you immediately solitude it. They have two options: let it go, or counter it.
    If they counter it it will cost them three mana, which will lock them out of spirit guide, you counter back. All of your creatures are safe from Karn, but no one can win the game. Here Karn restarts the game and we go back to where we started.
    If they let it go and you exile the smiter they again have their two mutually exclusive options: cast spirit guide, go for Karn.
    If they go for guide, it costs four mana and you counter it. They can't counter back and now all threats are locked out.
    Okay, that line I did not see. These game restarts are weird. DD it is.

Sorry for the delay. Hopefully people were able to brainstorm over the past few days and won't have issue submitting in just a ~36 hour window.

ROUND 4 OF SEASON 14: WUBRG is now open.

After a bit of Halloween delay, I have PM'ed myself my deck for round 3, and for fun I made a salted hash at https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html which is 7e96d12c0a0eadb6cbc9b029241eaf284aca66d3eb2a2131e8dbbf765b472d81

[B]DEADLINE: Tuesday November 15st at 1:00pm Eastern Standard Time (GMT-5).
    PLEASE NOTE:
    The way you send your deck to me matters. Please send it in the way described below, so it doesn't cost me an hour of editing before I can post all the decks.
    Please send your deck as follows:

silkster: Black Lotus, Ball Lightning, Bloodlust, Berserk. (Note: Black Lotus is now banned. Don't send this deck anymore.)

So with name, colon, and card tags around each card, and not above eachother, and with your Username and 4CB S14R04 in the topic.

Usually you should keep an eye on the banned list, found in the second post and in the spreadsheet. Remember that the card pool is Vintage minus Unfinity.

After the deadline has passed, I will post all decks on the forum here, and you can start puzzling out your scores.
    If you have any questions, please read the first two posts of this thread first. If you can't find the answer there, drop a message here. We'll answer a.s.a.p.

Happy listbuilding!

If I understood correctly, I was to put this here for people to copy paste.

PHP Code:
    name and 4CB S14R04
    YOURNAME
    : [cards]A[/cards], [cards]B[/cards], [cards]C[/cards], [cards]D[/cards]. 

Thread Information