Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance
    I hoped people might ignore orchard after several poor showings.

7. Dooey: Foil, Snow-Covered Island, Nether Spirit, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse
    You can’t make white, and Ashiok’s discard isn’t immediate. WW 6-0

8. Asthereal: Barren Glory, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Duress
    Abeyance you on upkeep so you can’t combo or make white. WW 6-0
    Clearly that Snow-Covered Island should have been Spara's Headquarters to cover for accidentally resolving random pacts! :

Abeyance only stops instants and sorceries, so Lotus Petals can still be played. But then I guess you win with the spirit while Asthereal doesn't have mana to play Barren Glory and Duress no longer matters.

Feb 2014

So, I start with two disagreements:

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    10. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Ephemerate, Kitesail Freebooter, Scrubland
    2. dte: OTP Ertai counters Command, Freebooter exiles Currency Converter and wins.
    OTD if you don't play Currency Converter, it's same as OTP. If you do, I let it resolve. Ertai counters Prismari (if you don't play it, I lead with Freebooter to force it out), then Ephemerate on Ertai counters the Kozilek reshuffle. You can make 2 2/2s before I break your engine, but the Rebound copy on Ertai will kill a 2/2 token and Freebooter flies over. WW 6-0
    Edit: Ertai is 3/2 not 2/3.
    Indeed Ertai is 3/2, so the 3-4 2/2s I make are enough to race it and freebooter (even two would be enough if there is no ephemerate).
    Me OTP: CC. If it resolves, you lose: I pass. If you play freebooter, I respond with PC. You have to Ertai it. In response 2/2 plus shuffle.
    You do not have ephemerate up.
    My turn, draw eldrazi. make a 2nd 2/2, shuffle (so I will have 4 2/2s in total, as I have 2 now and 2 in the library) --> I win.
    If you do not play freebooter and pass, I just activate bazaar and make a 2/2 out of PC. You eventually will have to cast Ertai to not lose to this 2/2, to which I will be able to respond by a second 2/2 plus shuffle, and will eventually win with 4 2/2s again (ephemerate can take 2 out).
    If you try to Ertai CC, I will answer with PC on Ertai. If you then ephemerate Ertai, I will be able to shuffle all and eventually replay CC and win with it.
    You OTP, freebooter plus ertai exile cc and you win.

3-3?

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    1. silkster: Hive of the Eye Tyrant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Vex, Bitterblossom
    Me, lacking inspiration and trying to run it back as close to last week as possible. It seems that people aren't to be gotten by this again though.

2. dte: Prismari Command, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Bazaar of Baghdad, Currency Converter
    I read some of this a few times and then wondered how you're paying mana for Currency Converter, and then reread it and damn is this ever clean. My last attempt to play Bazaar + Eldrazi used Ruthless Sniper.
    On the play, it takes 8 turns for me to win and I lose 7 life along the way. PC gets countered, and then your turns are 1) Bazaar, shuffle; 2) draw PC; 3) draw Kozilek; 4) draw Converter, make a 2/2; 5) attack for 2; 6) attack for 4; 7) attack for 6 and put me to 1 (though I do have one blocker here to spare).
    WL
    Why would I cast PC first?
    You have to play three cards to both discard CC and play BB on T1.
    Then I will just play bazaar, play PC targeting you, hold priority, tap bazaar and shuffle with PC on the stack. You let resolve (otherwise I draw a card and gain a turn).
    So I gain 1 turn on your schedule, resolving converter T3.
    WW for me?

Otherwise:
    6-0 if I am right, see above

2. dte: Prismari Command, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Bazaar of Baghdad, Currency Converter
    Me, playing discard/recursion I was impressed by the effectiveness of 4dogs' word of wildling power as a hard-to-disrupt, make a 2/2 every turn deck, but thought it lacked to have at least on piece of protection/disruption, here represented by PC.

3. GoblinSmashmaster:Crystal Vein, Barbed Shocker, Abeyance, Flusterstorm
    6-0. I am fine with discarding :)

4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance
    6-0. PC wins these.

5. jfb1337: Chain of Smog, Witherbloom Apprentice, Urborg, Delay
    2-2, staring contest.

6. Wrath of Pie: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Mountain, Stronghold Gambit, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    6-0, I win the mirror!

0-6. Plussing on making 2/3 and exiling?? Ashiok is truly a nightmare for my deck.

0-6, I was sure PC beats this deck! but actually it absolutely does not.

9. Symbi: Vex, Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek, Memnite
    6-0. None of these cards prevent me from making 2/2s

3-3 per above

PS@Reep: Abeyance does not prevent Asthereal to play or use lotus petal. And as he will control both the "I win" and the "I lose" trigger, he'll stack them how he sees fit. Amazing stack of triigers in the upkeep though.

No disagreement, WL, +3, 3 total.
    I don't fully understand your deck but pretty sure I beat it, WW, +6, 9 total.
    OTP I get ashiok out, who wins. OTD you strip my hand and 2/2s stare. WD, +4, 13 total.
    No disagreement, LL, +0, 13 total.
    No disagreement, WW, +6, 19 total.
    6. Wrath of Pie: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Mountain, Stronghold Gambit, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    Ashiok just wins, WW, +6, 25 total.
    It me, +0, 25 total.
    Foil counters duress and ashiok bounces barren glory. WW, +6, 31 total.
    OTP Ashiok and foil vex. OTD you can inquisition to remove foil (either leave me without a discard, or let it resolve), then path nether spirit and vex ashiok (or vex foil if I discard ashiok to foil your path). WL, +3, 34 total
    No disagreement, WL, +3, 37 total.

This is my best week by quite a bit. I guess good threats + free counterspells still win games.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dooey View Post
    I disagree with myself.

On your play you cast Ashiok. Instead of countering, I let it resolve.
    You +1 making a 2/3. (There are no legal targets to -3, so you can't make me discard)
    On my turn I play Kitesail Freebooter. You Foil (otherwise I exile it and strand Nether Spirit in hand -> win), I let Foil resolve.
    I play Ertai & destroy Ashiok with the trigger.
    On your upkeep Nether Spirit returns. You attack with 2/3 and I take it.
    I untap Scrubland & Ephemerate Ertai, destroying the 2/3 token.

Then Ertai and Nether Spirit stare. You can't attack because a 3/2 would race you.

WD 4-1 for me, DL for you?
    Last edited by FTW; 12-21-2022 at 12:48 AM.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Indeed Ertai is 3/2, so the 3-4 2/2s I make are enough to race it and freebooter (even two would be enough if there is no ephemerate).
    Me OTP: CC. If it resolves, you lose: I pass. If you play freebooter, I respond with PC. You have to Ertai it. In response 2/2 plus shuffle.
    You do not have ephemerate up.
    My turn, draw eldrazi. make a 2nd 2/2, shuffle (so I will have 4 2/2s in total, as I have 2 now and 2 in the library) --> I win.
    If you do not play freebooter and pass, I just activate bazaar and make a 2/2 out of PC. You eventually will have to cast Ertai to not lose to this 2/2, to which I will be able to respond by a second 2/2 plus shuffle, and will eventually win with 4 2/2s again (ephemerate can take 2 out).
    If you try to Ertai CC, I will answer with PC on Ertai. If you then ephemerate Ertai, I will be able to shuffle all and eventually replay CC and win with it.
    You OTP, freebooter plus ertai exile cc and you win.

3-3?
    It is certainly more complicated as 3/2 than 2/3 (would block and kill all).

I miscounted how quickly you can make 2/2s. I thought just 2 activations until I untap Scrubland, but then you still get 2 more 2/2s with the 2 cards in library. In that case I cannot win. But I think I can draw by doing nothing. If I never play Freebooter, I can threaten Ertai + Ephemerate at any time, so you can never reshuffle and only get 2 2/2s.

dte T1: Bazaar. Currency Converter. I let it resolve.
    A) If you Prismari Command me proactively, I can discard Freebooter & Scrubland because you can't make any 2/2s without putting Kozilek in GY. Ertai counters the reshuffle trigger, Ephemerate flickers Ertai to kill the 2/2 token.

B) If you instead activate Bazaar on your turn, you can put 2 cards under Currency Converter (Prismari & Kozilek), but then Ertai will counter the 1st reshuffle whenever you put Kozilek in GY.
    If you make the 1st 2/2 with Kozilek: Ertai counters the reshuffle, Scrubland + Ephemerate kills the 2/2, Rebound kills a 2nd 2/2 if one is in play. If you slow roll the 2nd 2/2, Ertai's 3/2 body trades with it and Freebooter wins.
    If you make the 1st 2/2 without reshuffling (Prismari): Ertai kills it before Currency Converter untaps. Then I always have Ephemerate up whenever Kozilek hits the GY & Rebound kills the 2nd 2/2.

C) If you instead activate Currency Converter with mana, you could start making 2/2s without discarding Prismari, but you won't have enough mana to cast Prismari after so it doesn't help. Same as above. If you make a 2/2 (Kozilek), Ertai counters the reshuffle & Ephemerate kills the 2/2.

D) You do nothing else on your turn. I play Scrubland and pass.
    Now we're back to A or B or C, except I have 1 more mana open for Ephemerate. Casting Prismari leads to you losing. Activating Bazaar leads to you losing. You can't move first.

I only lose this line if I play out Freebooter first, tying up mana for Ertai + Ephemerate.

WD 4-1 for me?
    Last edited by FTW; 12-21-2022 at 12:50 AM.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Vexed Eldrazi"

Shocker, then discard 3-3

Eldrazi :( 0-6

Shocker is not type Goblin and can't smash :(

Shocker 4-1

Shocker 4-1

Eldrazi :( 0-6

Spirit 1-4

Shocker, then combo 3-3

Shocker, then discard 3-3

Ertai :( 0-6

Total: 18 nongoblin points
    Last edited by GoblinSmashmaster; 12-21-2022 at 04:03 PM.

Feb 2014

It is certainly more complicated as 3/2 than 2/3 (would block and kill all).

I miscounted how quickly you can make 2/2s. I thought just 2 activations until I untap Scrubland, but then you still get 2 more 2/2s with the 2 cards in library. In that case I cannot win. But I think I can draw by doing nothing. If I never play Freebooter, I can threaten Ertai + Ephemerate at any time, so you can never reshuffle and only get 2 2/2s.

dte T1: Bazaar. Currency Converter. I let it resolve.
    A) If you Prismari Command me proactively, I can discard Freebooter & Scrubland because you can't make any 2/2s without putting Kozilek in GY. Ertai counters the reshuffle trigger, Ephemerate flickers Ertai to kill the 2/2 token.

B) If you instead activate Bazaar on your turn, you can put 2 cards under Currency Converter (Prismari & Kozilek), but then Ertai will counter the 1st reshuffle whenever you put Kozilek in GY.
    If you make the 1st 2/2 with Kozilek: Ertai counters the reshuffle, Scrubland + Ephemerate kills the 2/2, Rebound kills a 2nd 2/2 if one is in play. If you slow roll the 2nd 2/2, Ertai's 3/2 body trades with it and Freebooter wins.
    If you make the 1st 2/2 without reshuffling (Prismari): Ertai kills it before Currency Converter untaps. Then I always have Ephemerate up whenever Kozilek hits the GY & Rebound kills the 2nd 2/2.

C) If you instead activate Currency Converter with mana, you could start making 2/2s without discarding Prismari, but you won't have enough mana to cast Prismari after so it doesn't help. Same as above. If you make a 2/2 (Kozilek), Ertai counters the reshuffle & Ephemerate kills the 2/2.

D) You do nothing else on your turn. I play Scrubland and pass.
    Now we're back to A or B or C, except I have 1 more mana open for Ephemerate. Casting Prismari leads to you losing. Activating Bazaar leads to you losing. You can't move first.

I only lose this line if I play out Freebooter first, tying up mana for Ertai + Ephemerate.

WD 4-1 for me?
    Sounds right, 4-1 for you.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for this round:

1. silkster: Hive of the Eye Tyrant, Inquisition of Kozilek, Vex, Bitterblossom WL
    EDIT: OTP I Duress Vex with starting B mana, then I play Barren Glory and win. OTD you get to remove something relevant with Inquisition and win with any wincon.
    2. dte: Prismari Command, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth, Bazaar of Baghdad, Currency Converter WW
    Command looks scary, but I just discard a Petal and my Duress, and the remaining Petal and Barren Glory win it.
    3. GoblinSmashmaster:Crystal Vein, Barbed Shocker, Abeyance, Flusterstorm WL
    Abeyance doesn't stop my stuff as it got errata'd into only stopping activated abilities that aren't mana abilities. So OTP I get to do my thing, albeit having to wait to cast Duress and win a turn later.
    4. Reeplcheep:Forbidden Orchard, Sudden Substitution, Intervention Pact, Abeyance LL
    Uh.. Abeyance doesn't do as much as you might think, but it does stop me from casting Duress, so I guess I have to use Petal mana to pay for the Pact and then lose to the 1/1?
    5. jfb1337: Chain of Smog, Witherbloom Apprentice, Urborg, Delay LL
    EDIT: I misunderstood this deck. You Chain yourself to win with the guy. You Delay the Duress to force it through, and your win is a few phases faster than mine. Cool deck!
    6. Wrath of Pie: Geier Reach Sanitarium, Mountain, Stronghold Gambit, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth WL
    OTP I dump my stuff. OTP you make an Annihilator guy, which I have to sac my Barren Glory to.
    7. Dooey: Foil, Snow-Covered Island, Nether Spirit, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse LL
    EDIT: I Duress Foil with starting B mana, then drop Barren Glory. But your Ashiok gets to bounce Glory and you still have a wincon afterwards.
    8. Asthereal: Barren Glory, Lotus Petal, Lotus Petal, Duress <-me
    I had no inspiration, so I just replaced Seize with Duress and went with it. It's still too vulnerable, but so be it.
    9. Symbi: Vex, Path to Exile, Inquisition of Kozilek, Memnite WL
    EDIT: OTP I Duress Vex with starting B mana, the drop Glory FTW. OTD you Inquisition me, which makes me lose a Petal and I can't win anymore. Any wincon will do here, even Memnite, though that feels like rubbing it in.
    10. FTW: Ertai Resurrected, Ephemerate, Kitesail Freebooter, Scrubland LL
    Ertai would counter a Petal, so I'd play nothing if you had nothing else. But you're too smart for that and have a Freebooter which will boot me.

Total: 18 points
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinSmashmaster View Post
    GoblinSmashmaster Results for Round "Vexed Eldrazi"
    Shocker is not type Goblin and can't smash :(

Shocker, then combo 3-3

Shocker, then combo 3-3
    Disagreements.
    I think they're both right. You can't win OTD, but they can't win either.

Reeplcheep
    T1 R: Abeyance, you Abeyance back. Pass
    T1 G: If you play Shocker, Sudden Sub steals it and you lose. Pass.

T2 R: If Sudden Sub + Pact, Flusterstorm counters Pact and Shocker wins. Pass
    Draw
    WD 4-1

jfb1337
    T1 J: Witherbloom. If Chain of Smog, then Abeyance + Flusterstorm counters it.
    T1 G: Shocker. J can Delay, but it will resolve 3 turns later and trade with Witherbloom.
    Draw
    WD 4-1

+2 nongoblin points

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    7. Dooey: Foil, Snow-Covered Island, Nether Spirit, Ashiok, Nightmare Muse LL
    You Foil one Petal. Any wincon will do from here.
    On your play:
    Duress (using starting B). Foil is forced out.
    Petal + Petal + WURG casts Barren Glory. Win.

On your draw:
    Ashiok resolves but has no legal targets for -3, so it makes a 2/3.
    Duress forces out Foil.
    Petal + Petal + Barren Glory wins again.

Edit: I'm wrong.
    Duress protects against Foil on Petal. You make Barren Glory, but Ashiok has time to -3 it.
    LL 0-6

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

On your play:
    Duress (using starting B). Foil is forced out.
    Petal + Petal + WURG casts Barren Glory. Win.

On your draw:
    Ashiok resolves but has no legal targets for -3, so it makes a 2/3.
    Duress forces out Foil.
    Petal + Petal + Barren Glory wins again.

WW 6-0!
    Right. I'm really dumb. I forgot I could use the starting mana for Duress. I need coffee.
    (And I need to rethink every match where I reckoned I'd lose to one counter.)

Edit: I'm wrong.
    Duress protects against Foil on Petal. You make Barren Glory, but Ashiok has time to -3 it.
    LL 0-6
    Yeah I caught that. Ashiok just bounces my Glory and it's over.

OTP I take bitterblossom, but hive of the eye tyrant stops memnite. OTD I lose to bitterblossom. Edit: OTP, if you vex, I vex back and you don't have the mana for hive. If you don't vex, I counter inquisition and have path for hive WL 3-3, 3 total

Recursion beats my discard. LL 0-6, 3 total.

OTP I take abeyance, then path shocker and pay for flusterstorm. OTD I can't answer shocker. WL 3-3, 6 total.

OTP I take abeyance and counter the pact, then I path your 1/1. OTD I lose to the combo. WL 3-3, 9 total.

If you go for your combo, I wait until the first chain resolves and your hand is empty, then path and counter the chain. If you chain me, I keep path and memnite and delay can only, well, delay these spells from resolving. WW 6-0, 15 total.

My hand gets dismantled. LL 0-6, 15 total.

OTP I lead on inquisition. If you counter, I path nether spirit and counter Ashiok. If you let it resolve, I take nether spirit. Then you can't cast both ashiok and foil, so I counter whichever one of these you do cast and path the spirit. OTD I lose to Ashiok. WL 3-3, 18 total.

OTP I take duress and counter barren glory. OTD You take my counter and I lose to barren glory. WL 3-3, 21 total.

That's me, being rather annoyed that I couldn't submit one of the cards in spanish.

OTP I take kitesail freebooter and counter Ertai. OTD you have ephemerate to stop me pathing freebooter. WL 3-3, 24 total.
    Last edited by Symbi; 12-21-2022 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post

PS@Reep: Abeyance does not prevent Asthereal to play or use lotus petal. And as he will control both the "I win" and the "I lose" trigger, he'll stack them how he sees fit. Amazing stack of triigers in the upkeep though.
    I did miss that lotus petal and barren glory are castable. But how does he get rid of the duress?

Feb 2014

I did miss that lotus petal and barren glory are castable. But how does he get rid of the duress?
    You're right, he can't.

I disagree with myself.

On your play you cast Ashiok. Instead of countering, I let it resolve.
    You +1 making a 2/3. (There are no legal targets to -3, so you can't make me discard)
    On my turn I play Kitesail Freebooter. You Foil (otherwise I exile it and strand Nether Spirit in hand -> win), I let Foil resolve.
    I play Ertai & destroy Ashiok with the trigger.
    On your upkeep Nether Spirit returns. You attack with 2/3 and I take it.
    I untap Scrubland & Ephemerate Ertai, destroying the 2/3 token.

Then Ertai and Nether Spirit stare. You can't attack because a 3/2 would race you.

WD 4-1 for me, DL for you?
    Yep, I agree

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

I don't. I have to use Petal mana to not die to your Pact, and then you murder me with the token you gave me and then stole back again. Very crafty.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    I don't. I have to use Petal mana to not die to your Pact, and then you murder me with the token you gave me and then stole back again. Very crafty.
    He was pointing out the line where you play out the petals and glory and then stack the triggers so that you win before you lose. But you can’t get the win trigger if you still have duress in your hand (Or I give you an extra Spirit)

Sep 2011

He was pointing out the line where you play out the petals and glory and then stack the triggers so that you win before you lose. But you can’t get the win trigger if you still have duress in your hand (Or I give you an extra Spirit)
    "T: Counter target Barren Glory trigger. Play this as a mana ability" is a strong ability to have on a land.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Both of you graciously gave yourselves the L, 0 points each.
    I think you WW. Kozilek negates Barbed Shocker. You'll get your cards back, play out your lands, and can keep jamming Stronghold Gambit until it resolves.

Thread Information