Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Sep 2011

Re: 4 Card Blind: The Silkster Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Missing jfb1337 and FTW, but I think it makes sense to post anyway, which I will do in about 30 minutes after I get a few other things sorted out.
    Almost forgot it was today. Sending something in a few minutes.
    Edit: Sent

Last edited by silkster; 02-23-2023 at 03:15 PM.

1. Luminarch Aspirant, Thought Erasure, Psychic Strike, Disrupting Shoal
    When Force of Will was played, it caught me off guard. Then Force of Negation surprised me. Then Foil surprised me. But not this time!

2. Dooey: March of Otherworldly Light, Darksteel Citadel, Ensoul Artifact, Withering Boon
    I can't stop all 3 of your spells, so I stop the threat.
    DD

3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top
    I actually thought about this for a moment and I was satisfied with WD, but I found a new line. I let you Helm, and play out the first Top. I Psychic Strike the second one. Then I can play Aspirant and you can't get enough Grapeshots. And if you don't go for the combo on turn 1, I Thought Erasure the Grapeshot to clear the way.
    WW

4. dte: Trickbind, Dread Fugue, The Mycosynth Gardens, Phyrexian Dreadnought
    That is so many Dreadnaughts. You manage to dodge Disrupting Shoal, so this becomes "Discard mirror is WL".
    WL

5. Wrath of Pie: Despise, Ajani Vengeant, Bottomless Vault, Garruk Relentless
    Oh, Despise isn't Distress. You aren't playing 2cmc or 3cmc either! On the play, I can win on turn 6, but you'll have enough mana for both planeswalkers on turn 5. But then you have to spend every turn either keeping the Aspirant tapped or chump blocking.
    DL

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Priest of Gix, Nether Void, Delay, Wasteland
    Disrupting Shoal lines up against Delay, so I can counter 2 things and win.
    WW

7. jfb1337: Obscura Interceptor, Blazing Rootwalla, Fury, Dwarven Hold
    Interceptor meets the Strike, then you have to evoke Fury against the Aspirant.
    DD

8. FTW: Saprazzan Cove, Hypnotic Sprite, Dack Fayden, Liquimetal Coating
    Dack making me discard is scary, so I need to counter Dack, which I do using Disrupting Shoal, and you don't have turn 1 mana for Mesmeric Glare. Then Aspirant wins. If you wait (or I'm on the play), Thought Erasure gets Mesmeric Glare (possibly leaving you with the Sprite on an adventure), but Shoal will still catch Dack.
    WW

From about round 3, I wanted to play Chromium the Mutable. But there kept being infinite combos with some protection, and it was costing me too much to use all of my mana and 3 cards (dragon + 2x spirit guides). And I couldn't get anything out of the last card. When I finally thought it might be time, I discovered that both spirit guides were banned. I thought about playing it with Crystal Vein, but that means Chromium doesn't get ahead of discard. I almost played a modal deck of (Dark Ritual + Chromium) + (3 mana counter + 2 mana threat), but that made Chromium weak to counters, but it didn't even force out your counter, so you would get to counter one spell from the other half of my deck too. When I discovered that Blood Baron of Vizkopa single-handedly beats Dread Fugue, Prohibit, Swords to Plowshares, and Durkwood Baloth, I couldn't resist. I had really high hopes for that round, but people did not play the 3-or-4 cheap spells decks that I was expecting. I also thought about playing Dark Ritual + Gutteral Response + Dark Ritual + Chromium to really force it through on turn 0, but it felt a bit too narrow for a deck that still lost to all combo decks.

The other win condition that I was hoping to play from round 3 was Gideon of the Trials in combination with Glorious End. The issues were: 1) you have to commit a card to making W on turn 1, which also meant that the fourth card wouldn't be very good; and 2) Glorious End is a very hard counter, but it doesn't help you resolve Gideon against a counter. I was close to submitting Glorious Gideon with Savannah and Tamiyo's Safekeeping in about round 9, but the fact that Safekeeping couldn't protect Gideon until the next turn meant that it still couldn't protect against planeswalker removal like Assassin's Trophy.

The other deck that got away was Swamp + Thoughtseize/Therapy + Reanimate/Animate Dead + Colossal Skyturtle. It's elegant, but it loses to combo and mass discard on the draw.

Sep 2011

I think I picked the wrong land. Can't make 1 mana until turn 3.

1. silkster: You play Erasure, I counter it, you can counter back with Shoal X=3. That would remove my creature & then you also discard Dack and resolve Aspirant. If I try to play Dack without a counter up, you can Shoal X=3 Dack, then Thought Erasure my creature and play Aspirant. LL 0-6

2. Dooey: March and Boon can't target Dack. So I just play T1 Dack, make you discard any unplayed cards, steal the 5/5 if you make it, and then cast my creature once your hand is empty. WW 6-0

3. Asthereal: I can counter Helm. Otherwise I just store up mana until I can play Dack with 2U up, discard your hand, then make my creature. WW 6-0

4. dte: OTP Dack+. If you discard 2 (Fugue+Trickbind/Gardens), you can make 1 Dreadnought but then I steal it. If you Trickbind the ability, you keep your cards but can only make 1 Dreadnought. I can steal it. But you can Dread Fugue my creature to draw.
    OTD you Dread Fugue. If you Cleave to threaten Dack, you have 3 mana left. If I counter, you play Dreadnought + Trickbind that turn, and I can't cast Dack till my turn 3 (too slow). So I have to let Fugue resolve. If you discard Dack, I can counter Dreadnought, so you never play it and I can't play Sprite, and we draw.
    Edit: Instead you can Dread Fugue for B and discard Sprite (cmc=2). Then use you can use RW on Dreadnought + Gardens to make a 12/12 and still hold up UG for Trickbind to counter Dack's steal.
    DL 1-4

5. Wrath of Pie: OTP I play Dack & Coating, make you discard 2. You could resolve 1 PW, but neither can kill Dack in 1 turn and then I steal it and win. So it's better for you to discard both walkers and Despise my creature to draw.
    OTD you Despise me. If it resolves, you take Dack and then I can't counter the Walkers, so I must counter it. Then you play land & Ajani. Ajani locks me out of charging my land so I can't play anything else. DL 1-4

6. GoblinSmashmaster: Not fair! No goblins. If I play Dack, you Delay and then Nether Void + Waste my land. If I do nothing, I can threaten to counter Priest but you Delay me, then Waste my land and win. LL 0-6

7. jfb1337: I can't counter Obscura or Fury, due to CMC. If you play Obscura, I can stealing all your stuff with Dack, but as long as its in hand I can't play Dack. Eventually you cast Fury and I can't counter or race with Sprite. LL 0-6

14 points (4 wins, 2 draws)

I really wanted to play Dack + Coating one of these rounds but could never find the right mana + support/wincon. Because it's the last round I wanted to play it anyway, but would have done better with one of my "good but boring" ideas.

I had a variation that was Dack Fayden, Liquimetal Coating, Tolarian Academy (lolbo with Coating), Ensoul Artifact. It had the advantage of being able to play everything in one turn and having a faster clock, but I was nervous to play no counters. I chose the 3cmc one for Windfall, the Helm/Grapeshot deck, the Monolith/Power Artifact deck, enemy counterspells/discard (to protect Dack), and potential goblin combos. It misses Soul Spike though.

Other decks I had on the table...
    T0 Discard: Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Tourach, Dread Cantor
    T1 Discard: Windfall, Swords to Plowshares, Corpulent Corpse, Flip the Switch
    Combo: Collective Brutality, Serra's Emissary, Unburial Rites, Bottomless Vault (or Dark Rit/Peat Bog or Eiganjo+Resurrection - different advantages for each)
    Discard3: Godless Shrine, Mind Swords, Roc Egg, Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    Fair jank: Dryad Arbor, Bloodhall Ooze, Valki, God of Lies, Make Disappear
    Last edited by FTW; 02-27-2023 at 07:17 PM.

Feb 2014

1. silkster: Luminarch Aspirant, Thought Erasure, Psychic Strike, Disrupting Shoal
    3-3 discard mirror

2. Dooey: March of Otherworldly Light, Darksteel Citadel, Ensoul Artifact, Withering Boon
    6-0, discard counter and 2 dreadnough vs 1 removal and a smaller creature. Trample matters here.

3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top
    6-0. Where trickbind shines.

Me, thinking that this is a nice level of disruption and threat. From round 1 I thought I always wanted to play for the last round 2 x Chancellor of the dross, soul spike, Hidetsugu's second rite, a nice T0 reminder of the last season, but the scores are too close on the season to risk not playing what I thought was the best deck.

3-3, discard mirror

3-3.

6-0

4-1. I agree on draw when I am OTD. when I am OTP, I discard your sprite for B (it only costs UU, so no need to cleave), play and copy dreadnought for RW, and I do have UG to trickbind dack steal.

Turns out being more brave and playing chancellor / soul spike / Hidetsugu would be 30, so almost identical result.

GoblinSmashmaster Results for "Final Round"

1. silkster: Luminarch Aspirant, Thought Erasure, Psychic Strike, Disrupting Shoal
    2 counters :( 0-6

Darksteel smash :( 0-6

Into the void 6-0

Into the void, then discard 3-3

Into the void 4-1

That's me, mixing it up from Goblins

Into the void 2-2

Into the void 6-0

Total: 21 points?

You stop my threat, I stop yours. DD

March any of your permanents. WW

Can keep you on 1 nought, but it has trample. LL

I make scissors but can't attack. You hold your planeswalkers until you can play both. If I attack, you play ajani and lock down my scissors then win with garruk. If I don't, you play garruk, and make a blocker. If I don't march it and kill garruk, you make another one and I'm really screwed, so I do that. Then you play ajani and lock down my scissors until you have arbitrary loyalty on ajani. Then you start -2ing ajani, and your 6 point swing per turn beats my 5. LL

You don't have a line to stop my threat, and my threat is good. WW.

Make scissors. You intercept, I counter, I outrace. WW

My interaction is bad against yours and yours is good against mine. LL

6W2D

Was expecting indestructible to be a lot more relevant than it was. Still did win some games though.

Site Contributor

Jul 2011
    Maastricht, NL

Asthereal's scores for the final round:

1. silkster: Luminarch Aspirant, Thought Erasure, Psychic Strike, Disrupting Shoal LL
    Shoal my Helm, Erasure my Grapeshot, any wincon will do.
    2. Dooey: March of Otherworldly Light, Darksteel Citadel, Ensoul Artifact, Withering Boon LL
    March my Helm, any wincon will do.
    3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top <-me
    I had to play a turn 1 kill, seeing it still legal by the final round. Probably a bad call though.
    4. dte: Trickbind, Dread Fugue, The Mycosynth Gardens, Phyrexian Dreadnought LL
    Trickbind the Grapeshot storm trigger, any wincon will do.
    5. Wrath of Pie: Despise, Ajani Vengeant, Bottomless Vault, Garruk Relentless WW
    No interaction, so I get to go off.
    6. GoblinSmashmaster: Priest of Gix, Nether Void, Delay, Wasteland LL
    Delay my Helm, then Nether Void stops me entirely, and any wincon will do.
    7. jfb1337: Obscura Interceptor, Blazing Rootwalla, Fury, Dwarven Hold WW
    I have two mana to spare in my combo, so I can recast my Helm and still go off. Bouncing a Top does nothing, and of course bouncing Grapeshot is just silly. So I get to go off.
    8. FTW: Saprazzan Cove, Hypnotic Sprite, Dack Fayden, Liquimetal Coating LL
    Sprite counters my Helm. I fI wait to go off, you make many manas with the Cove, and drop Dack in order to eat my hand. After that, the Sprite will murder me.

Total: 12 points
    Join the 4 Card Blind competition!

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Asthereal View Post
    3. Asthereal: Grapeshot, Helm of Awakening, Sensei's Divining Top, Sensei's Divining Top <-me
    I had to play a turn 1 kill, seeing it still legal by the final round. Probably a bad call though.
    Total: 12 points
    I was wondering why you had much less than the 30 I calculated for the T0 kill I wanted to play and whether it was T1 vs T0. Answer is, because I got most MUs wrong :/

DD - Several variations of the order of cards played, but ultimately strike trades with interceptor and pitchcast fury trades with aspirant

LL - I can't beat or stop scissors through boon

LL - This combo works through interceptor

LL - I can't stop a dreadnaut

??
    this is pretty complicated, still figuring out all the lines

DD - You preist + void, I pitch fury on priest, which you can't delay.

WW - I'll trust your workings

Total: 2W4D = 10 + whatever I get from WoP

Thread Information