Thread: Golgari - Oko ToC idea

Golgari - Oko ToC idea

Hi!

I come to you another time because you helped me a lot when i needed tips to compose my own first deck.

My friends decided to try some planewalkers for the first time, and as we do not ban cards, Oko seemed to be quite fun and powerful to play.

I tried to compose a deck based on it, and quiite cheap as i don't wanna pay more than 130€ for a deck and that one is worth 125.

Deck: Tri-color Oko

//Creatures

2 Chatterfang, Squirrel General
    4 Gilded Goose
    3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
    4 Lovestruck Beast // Heart's Desire
    4 Woodland Champion

//Planewalker

2 Oko, Thief of Crowns

//Spells

3 Assassin's Trophy
    3 Dreadhorde Invasion
    3 Duress
    3 Legion's End
    3 Perplex

//Lands

2 Dimir Aqueduct
    8 Forest
    2 Golgari Rot Farm
    2 Hinterland Harbor
    3 Opulent Palace
    7 Swamp
    2 Temple of Malady

If you got anything to help, feel free

Re: Golgari - Oko ToC idea

Oko+astrolabe
    Fixes your mana and it's banned in all formats

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Oko+astrolabe
    Fixes your mana and it's banned in all formats
    Astrolabe instead of?

Quote Originally Posted by VlaeKD View Post
    Astrolabe instead of?
    All copies of perplex, and 3 of your 26 lands?

You are playing way too many lands that enter tapped. Opulent Palace is probably OK because it produces all of your colors, but I would get rid of the rest.
    The good duals that enter untapped are expensive, but there are cheaper second-grade duals that could still work. Unfortunately I'm not good at building manabases, so I can't give you specific numbers, but some copies of the following could help:
    Yavimaya Coast
    Llanowar Wastes
    Underground River (when Brother's War comes out, it should get a reprint)
    Darkwater Catacombs
    Maybe Fabled Passage
    Sunken Hollow if you have a lot of basics
    Shipwreck Marsh (the rest of the cycle is unfortunately expensive, but this one got printed in a Challenger Deck, so there are a lot more copies of it)

All copies of perplex, and 3 of your 26 lands?
    You don't like "Perplex"? Imo i can either 'block a spell' or search for Oko thanks to it.

So either Perplex or 3 lands, you're two saying that i got too much land, i guess i'll remove 3 of them so and listen to Snugar for lands choices.

Quote Originally Posted by snugar_i View Post
    You are playing way too many lands that enter tapped. Opulent Palace is probably OK because it produces all of your colors, but I would get rid of the rest.
    The good duals that enter untapped are expensive, but there are cheaper second-grade duals that could still work. Unfortunately I'm not good at building manabases, so I can't give you specific numbers, but some copies of the following could help:
    Yavimaya Coast
    Llanowar Wastes
    Underground River (when Brother's War comes out, it should get a reprint)
    Darkwater Catacombs
    Maybe Fabled Passage
    Sunken Hollow if you have a lot of basics
    Shipwreck Marsh (the rest of the cycle is unfortunately expensive, but this one got printed in a Challenger Deck, so there are a lot more copies of it)
    The lands based on lifepoint trade are a bit scary to me, if i put 3-4 lands of that type, i'm afraid about spending 3-4 life per turn to play :/

The lands based on lifepoint trade are a bit scary to me, if i put 3-4 lands of that type, i'm afraid about spending 3-4 life per turn to play :/
    Yeah, playing too many can be dangerous. But in case you missed it, they can tap for colorless mana without damage, so you only use the colored-mana-generating ability if there is no other land that you could use instead. So for example, if you have a Forest and two Yavimaya Coasts and want to cast Oko, you tap Forest for G, one Coast for colorless and the other for U, for a total of 1 damage.

Also, you have quite a bit of Food generation in your deck, which can offset some of the life loss if necessary.

As another poster suggested, going Snow basics and Arcum's Astrolabe (also banned in Legacy) could be another option, but I'm afraid that without fetchlands (Polluted Delta and friends) it would be too unstable. But that card was a beast with Oko - turn 1 or 2 Astrolabe, draw a card, turn 3 Oko, turn Astrolabe into a 3/3 and attack right away (it was already on the field, so it does not have summoning sickness). In your group, you might get away with playing Prophetic Prism - it costs one mana more, but does not require you to play snow lands.

You don't like "Perplex"? Imo i can either 'block a spell' or search for Oko thanks to it.

So either Perplex or 3 lands, you're two saying that i got too much land, i guess i'll remove 3 of them so and listen to Snugar for lands choices.
    I hate hate hate giving the op choices.
    Op should only have one choice: to concede

Sep 2011

Oko, Thief of Crowns is a very strong card. This looks like a fun idea!

When building 3 colors, the hardest thing is to get consistent and stable mana. Otherwise you will lose too many games to manascrew. Not only is it losing, but it is very unfun when you have the wrong mana and can't do anything. It's the worst way to lose Magic. Too many tapped lands are a similar problem. If your lands enter tapped, you can't use them for mana that turn, so you are playing 1 turn behind and have more turns of getting frustrated not being able to play your cards. That's why other players here are making suggestions for your mana. A good manabase makes a big difference.

I would remove Dimir Aqueduct, Golgari Rot Farm, and Temple of Malady. We can find better lands. Opulent Palace is OK because at least it produces all 3 colors.

Do you still own Prismatic Vista from your other deck? If so, it is even better in this deck. It can get untapped Forest, untapped Swamp, or untapped Island! Ash Barrens is a good budget version.

Your 4 Gilded Goose will help your mana as long as you have a lot of green-producing lands. You can also use cards like Arcum's Astrolabe or Abundant Growth to fix colors of mana. They are strong because they only cost 1 mana and draw a card, so they are basically free and help fix colors. Astrolabe is extra good because Oko can turn it into a 3/3 Elk to defend Oko! If you play Astrolabe, then you need Snow-Covered Forest and Snow-Covered Swamp instead of Forest and Swamp. The snow lands cost more money and change the deck-building direction (Ice-Fang Coatl!), so it is something to think about. Prophetic Prism is like Astrolabe but doesn't force you into snow lands.

Perplex is fine. It is very bad as a counterspell, but it's good as an Oko tutor. There are no better budget planeswalker tutors at 2-3 mana. Diabolic Tutor costs 4 mana. You could Wishclaw Talisman for Oko and then turn it into an Elk before opponent can use it, but Wishclaw costs more money than Perplex.

Edit: Does your group still allow Sol Ring? You should be on 4 Sol Ring. It will speed up your mana and then turn into 3/3 Elks later. Very powerful. Sol Ring also means you can get away with Diabolic Tutor instead of Perplex.

Some more random thoughts:
    - We appreciate you taking the time to link all the cards in the decklist, but it's both easier for you and for the readers (the cards appear on hover) if you just wrap the list in [ cards ] [ /cards ] tags (without the spaces).
    - Oko is really not fun to play against. Getting all your creatures and artifacts turned into Elks with no abilites sucks. Make sure you really want to do this
    - The deck doesn't really do much without Oko, but only has two (and 3 Perplex, I know, but that's still not very much). Considering the other people's decks will likely have a bunch of planeswalker hate, this might not work.
    - Speaking of hate, you don't have much to get rid of planeswalkers yourself. If I understood correctly, most of your playgroup will be experimenting with planeswalkers this time around, so you should be prepared for them. Some ways to get rid of them are dedicated planeswalker kill spells (or generic permanent destruction like your Assassin's Trophy), creatures with Haste/Trample/unblockable/Flying, or Pithing Needle effects.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Well, i'll explain myself a bit.

I'm playing with people who're playing MTG for some years but without any modes and just for fun.

I'm quite a tryharder myself in love with deck building and all.

Last time, we did a blue/white control deck, it was strong and they quite hated playing against it. I was happy tho!

I really wanna try some cards unplayable otherwise than with them, trying to make the best deck for cheap, but i think they'll fastly be bored about my decks if i do so.

For exemple, as i had X Counterspell or 4 Sol rings, some of them who are playing only cards we (group of friends) got in stock, and so only 1 or 2 Sol Rings, were saying that playing 4x a single card were a bit annoying, even if i totally disagree about that.

Snugar mentionned about how Oko is reaally annoying to play against, too annoying in your opinion?

I feel like in a weird situation between crafting a strong deck and make them cry into despair, or be kind and change some strength into some fun cards.

Is that Oko ToC deck idea a bad move from me?

If your playgroup complains about oppressive Constructed decks/strategies but also doesn’t want to follow a ban list, have you tried just drafting? You can just shuffle up all the cards in someone’s collection and draft them. It’s better than worrying about whose Constructed deck is too good. (You don’t want to be in the position where putting time and thought into deck-building results in friends saying your deck is un-fun.)

Regarding your deck:

1. I recommend that if you don’t already own all the cards in the deck you listed, you should indicate which cards you lack. In the case of rates that you lack, users on this site could save you money by suggesting strong alternative commons/uncommons.

2. Three copies of Legion’s Ending seems like a lot. It’s often good to diversify your removal, unless your removal happens to be way better than alternatives (Swords to Plowshares, Lightning Bolt). Legion’s Ending is not way better than alternatives. Cut Down leaps to mind, and maybe also Go for the Throat. If one removal spell doesn’t hit the threat, sometimes the other will; this reduces your chance of having two dead removals stuck in hand.

3. A singleton City of Brass might help a three-color mana base. You should at least consider it as you balance budget considerations versus functionality. It’s more expensive than taplands and it’s not as good as duals, but it’s also cheaper than duals and better than taplands :-) One or two copies can really pull some weight and you don’t need to worry too much about the pain. Mana screw hurts more.

4. That Beast that cannot attack unless you control a 1/1 seems super dicey. I’d start there if you need to make room for other stuff. Even within a tokens theme, I bet there’s better.

Sep 2011

Ok, don't play 4 Sol Ring then. Most groups do not like it. It's not fair if they are only playing 0-2 copies.

Oko should be fine. You play both 1v1 and multiplayer, right? Oko is very strong in 1v1 but fine in multiplayer. It can only handle 1 thing at a time, so in multiplayer it is much harder to defend Oko. You only have 2 copies too.

I assume Legion's End was to combo with Oko (turn everything into 3/3 Elk and then exile them all). That's a cute combo. But it takes a lot of work to set up. 1-2 copies of Legion's End is enough.

You should be able to answer enemy planeswalkers with your own creatures, Assassin's Trophy, and Oko. Oko turns your 1/1s and artifacts into 3/3s, which can then attack and kill planeswalkers.

I think Lovestruck Beast is fine. It's a nice budget attacker. It gives 2 creatures for 1 card. In fact it may be easier to support than Woodland Champion. There are many ways to support Lovestruck Beast with cards that are generically strong in BUG Oko: Ice-Fang Coatl (only if you play Astrolabe and snow lands), Baleful Strix, Coiling Oracle, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Grist, the Hunger Tide, Risen Reef, Ophiomancer, Tendershoot Dryad. Even if you lose your 1/1s, a 5/5 still defends your planeswalkers well.

A grindy midrange deck with "draw a card" creatures like that may be more fun for them to play against than blue white control that kills everything. Even if the deck is strong, they may find it less frustrating to play against card advantage and board state than against Counterspell and Day of Judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Legion's End[/cards] was to combo with Oko (turn everything into 3/3 Elk and then exile them all). That's a cute combo. But it takes a lot of work to set up. 1-2 copies of Legion's End is enough.
    It also doesn't work like that: They don't lose their names.

Sep 2011

It also doesn't work like that: They don't lose their names.
    Good point. I was so used to players putting those 3/3 Elk token-cards on everything that I forgot they have some functional differences from those cards.

In that case 0 Legion's End.

And +3 Witches' Vengeance!

Thread Information