Thread: Br sacrifice - improvements?

Hybrid View

Apr 2021
    Oz

Br sacrifice - improvements?

Hi

Ive been interested for a long time in decks that have (kind of) unpreventable damage. I noticed the below deck (by Mason Clark) on Goldfish and was interested. Recurring creatures that do damage with sacrifice. Of course there are other creatures e.g. vito, zulaport cutthroat etc to consider. What do you folks think of this type of deck in legacy? I remember playing something like this in modern around Throne of Eldraine. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts as to whether it's playable, and how it could be improved. Thanks for reading.

4 Cauldron Familiar
    3 Bloodghast
    4 Mayhem Devil

4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Claim the Firstborn
    4 Faithless Looting
    4 Ponder
    1 Preordain
    4 Reanimate
    4 Witch's Oven
    3 Goblin Bombardment

2 Badlands
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Scalding Tarn
    2 Underground Sea
    2 Volcanic Island

Sep 2011

Re: Br sacrifice - improvements?

Card tags added for convenience, since some of those are not common Legacy cards.

This is like the concept of Zombardment. There may be an old thread for it on The Source. Zombardment was popular around 2012-2017, but now BG Hogaak and Jund MadVine have outclassed all those earlier builds with recurring graveyard creatures. Hogaak may be up your alley.

Zombardment was something like this

//Creatures: 20
    4 Carrion Feeder
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Cryptbreaker
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Dark Confidant

//Spells: 15
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Thoughtseize
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Lingering Souls

//Enchantments: 5
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    2 Bridge from Below

//Lands: 20
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Marsh Flats
    1 Polluted Delta
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    3 Badlands
    2 Scrubland
    3 Swamp
    1 Dakmor Salvage
    1 Undiscovered Paradise

It had Gravecrawler and Bloodghast as recurring creatures. Lingering Souls and Bridge from Below to make tokens. Goblin Bombardment and Carrion Feeder as cheap sacrifice outlets. Faithless Looting as a powerful card draw engine when you don't mind discarding cards.

With new cards printed: Cabal Therapist, Stitcher's Supplier, Hidden Stockpile, Dragon's Rage Channeler, Hogaak, Kroxa, and Grief all have potential.

Re: Your list above
    Claim the Firstborn is interesting tech. It's unfortunate that it can't hit Murktide Regent. Probably better to just play removal.

Reanimate could be Unearth?

Mayhem Devil seems slow for Legacy. The 2-mana ones might be better. Although triggering off fetchlands and hitting "any target" could be strong....

You may want to consider Grief (you can sacrifice for profit after Evoking) and Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-18-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Apr 2021
    Oz

Thanks for your reply. What is the card tag format here? I looked through the rules and tried [card name] and [[card name]]. The deck looks like it needs a lot of changes for legacy. I'll wander off and see if I can find more about Zombardment.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by z0anthr0pe View Post
    Thanks for your reply. What is the card tag format here? I looked through the rules and tried [card name] and [[card name]]. The deck looks like it needs a lot of changes for legacy. I'll wander off and see if I can find more about Zombardment.
    [cards) Card name [/cards)
    Except use ] instead of ). I had to change it so you can see it.

Zombardment is an old deck. It's not competitive anymore. It was just to give some ideas of a similar deck that has worked in Legacy before. Now there are a lot of new cards to consider too.

If you want to build around the Cat Oven combo, you could try BR without the blue cards and play Grief and Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger. Maybe Dark Confidant for card draw too. That really improves the power level of your creatures, while still giving bodies that sacrifice well to Witch's Oven. The original idea looks like it has too many draw spells and not enough bodies for a deck with Witch's Oven and Goblin Bombardment (those cards have no text unless you can put creatures in play).

The Zombardment thread is here (and it's 40 pages long dating back to 2012): https://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/...ck-Zombardment

Sep 2011

What about something like this? It's closer to your original idea, but still borrows some ideas and tech from Zombardment.

//Creatures: 24
    4 Stitcher's Supplier
    4 Cauldron Familiar
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Bloodghast
    3 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
    2 Mayhem Devil
    4 Grief

//Spells: 8
    4 Cabal Therapy
    4 Faithless Looting

//Sac Outlets: 8
    4 Witch's Oven
    3 Goblin Bombardment
    1 The Meathook Massacre

//Lands: 20
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    4 Prismatic Vista
    3 Badlands
    3 Swamp
    2 Mountain
    1 Castle Locthwain
    1 Undiscovered Paradise
    2 Malakir Rebirth

//Sideboard: 15
    2 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Pyroblast
    2 Meltdown
    2 Angrath's Rampage
    3 Sudden Edict
    2 Cling to Dust
    2 Nihil Spellbomb

It still has the core pieces of Cat Oven (Cauldron Familiar + Witch's Oven), Bloodghast, Goblin Bombardment, card draw, discard, and pings. But now it's shifted away from blue Xerox and towards black creatures. There are more creatures to synergize with the engine. More discard to disrupt opponents and pressure combo decks. A cheaper and more stable manabase.

Apr 2021
    Oz

Thanks FTW. I'll have a go at that. I don't really have any budget constraints, just that I like to play something different as often as possible. By any chance is there a non budget version of this list

Thread Information