Thread: Stickers and Attractions decks

Oct 2012
    Italy

Stickers and Attractions decks

Can i bring a stickers deck and an attractions deck at legacy/vintage event without playing any card that use the mechanics in my actual deck? Is there anything wrong with that for which i could be warned or disqualified?
    And what about having tokens that your deck can't produce in your deck box or on the table ? i would like to hear responses from judges if possible

Re: Stickers and Attractions decks

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCop 90 View Post
    Can i bring a stickers deck and an attractions deck at legacy/vintage event without playing any card that use the mechanics in my actual deck? Is there anything wrong with that for which i could be warned or disqualified?
    And what about having tokens that your deck can't produce in your deck box or on the table ? i would like to hear responses from judges if possible
    Judge here: Attractions, stickers, and tokens can't be in a deck or sideboard. But you have to register them in your decklist. Which means you can certainly have a decoy supplemental deck, but it's contents must be registered with your decklist.

From a tactics point: this isn't going to work. Because by showing it before the game you're basically telegraphing that you don't have them. You would have hid it if you did. It's basically the same as showing up and telling your op that you're on goblins and then wondering why they didn't believe you.
    Last edited by FourDogsinaHorseSuit; 12-12-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Don't think i understand the tactics part. You are required to shuffle your sticker and attractions decks before any game, you cannot hide them. To clarify: i don't want to bring with me random stickers and attractions and casually show them to opponents, i want to have a sticker deck and an attraction deck despite not using the mechanics in the deck that i play. Is that allowed?
    (The part about tokens was not really important)

I know what you're trying to do.
    It's legal.
    It's a waste of time for everyone involved.

Oct 2012
    Italy

Abstractly, i can agree that is a waste of time. The problem is, as long as sticker decks and attractions decks are a part of the game, showing with them at any event is the optimal thing to be doing.
    There is basically just one playable sticker card ( __ goblin). If no one could show up with sticker decks except for people playing with stickers, having a sticker deck would give away that you are playing goblins. Right now i'm pretty sure that if i sign up with storm and present a sticker deck, opponents will assume i am on goblins, and that is quite a big advantage. This will be the case until just everyone shows up with sticker decks, independently from what they are playing. Or until they just ban the mechanic in constructed formats, that is what they should have done from the beginning because no one really wants these dumb cards in legacy and vintage.
    Attractions are just not played in any deck fortunately, so bringing them is just memeing. But until stickers are legal i will bring my sticker deck at any event with any deck i play.

What attractions are run in goblins?
    The moment you show an attraction deck you've given away the game that this is a smokescreen and I shouldn't take you seriously.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Okay, maybe more seriously & likely:
    My opponent before the game sets out Undercity & Initiative cards. I keep a hand good against Initiative, they're on Doomsday and I lose.
    Did I get got within the limits of tournament rules?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Okay, maybe more seriously & likely:
    My opponent before the game sets out Undercity & Initiative cards. I keep a hand good against Initiative, they're on Doomsday and I lose.
    Did I get got within the limits of tournament rules?
    Dj Kalid would say you played yourself.
    This goes back to what I said earlier: Your Initiative op showing you the initiative that early is a mistake and you shouldn't assume your op is just making a mistake. You should assume they have a reason. Because if they don't and they're just playing loose you'll win anyways.

OH! I forgot to mention: Sticker and Attraction decks are registered, so you'll have to register them before the event with your decklist.
    I've edited my initial response to make this clear.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Okay one last followup based on an experience from Eternal Weekend

My opponent takes out his deck, puts Yorion face up on top of his deck box, shuffles and presents to me without saying or motioning anything.
    His deck looks extra buff, maybe 80 cards, maybe triple sleeved with perfect hards or something, can't be certain.

How long into the game before this becomes an issue?
    We've drawn our 7 and are deciding mulligans and he still hasn't said anything.

If we're into our game 1 and he attempts to pay 3 to put Yorion in hand, that's not okay, right?
    Do I have to ask for him why is there a Yorion face up on his deck box?

If then from the other side, can I silently put a Gyruda, Doom of Depths (as played by Bomberman) or Kaheera, the Orphanguard (as played by Storm) face up, even if my deck does not conform to the conditions required to use the companion ability?
    If they're in my sideboard?
    If they are not in my sideboard?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by da rules
    701.16. Reveal

701.16a To reveal a card, show that card to all players for a brief time. If an effect causes a card to be revealed, it remains revealed for as long as necessary to complete the parts of the effect that card is relevant to. If the cost to cast a spell or activate an ability includes revealing a card, the card remains revealed from the time the spell or ability is announced until the time it leaves the stack. If revealing a card causes a triggered ability to trigger, the card remains revealed until that triggered ability leaves the stack. If that ability isn’t put onto the stack the next time a player would receive priority, the card ceases to be revealed.
    Having a card face-up near your deck isn't showing it to me, which is the instruction for a reveal.
    How long into the game before this becomes an issue?
    Not an issue until one of two things happens: First the card is not registered in your decklist. There's rules against having extra cards near and around your sideboard. So you can't just have a yorion totem with your deck. Second you pay the three to try and move it into your hand. You didn't reveal it as instructed so you can't later bring it into your hand.
    Now, you might be wondering "when can I know if your deck is Yorion legal, when can I count it" and the answer to that is as soon as sideboarding is over and a deck is presented. The number of cards in a player's library is derived information:
    Quote Originally Posted by the tournament rules
    Derived information is information to which all players are entitled access, but opponents are not obliged to assist
    in determining and may require some skill or calculation to determine. Derived information consists of:
    • The number of any kind of objects present in any game zone that are not defined as free information.
    • All characteristics of objects in public zones that are not defined as free or status information
    Number of card objects in the library zone. Op doesn't have to count for you, but they can't stop you from counting. So just go count them.
    If then from the other side, can I silently put a Gyruda, Doom of Depths (as played by Bomberman) or Kaheera, the Orphanguard (as played by Storm) face up, even if my deck does not conform to the conditions required to use the companion ability?
    If they're in my sideboard?
    If they are not in my sideboard?
    I would not do this. The whole point here is to try and gain some advantage from outside the rules of the game. That's cheating territory, especially since your plan is to make sure I see something.
    If it's in your sideboard, you might get away with it.
    If it's not in your sideboard, you won't.

Thread Information