View Poll Results: Do you think MTG really needed yet another card type? (Battle)

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 9.09%
  • No

10 90.91%

Thread: Do you think MTG really needed yet another card type? (Battle)

Threaded View

Do you think MTG really needed yet another card type? (Battle)

Yes, I have no idea what Battle does yet. But I am absolutely certain that Battle's mechanics could have been incorporated into the game with one of the 14!! existing card types without necessitating yet another card type.

Its been super frustrating trying to teach MTG to others. MTG these days is far less accessible to new players compared to back when most of us learned the game. Before Future Sight, we only needed to learn 6 card types. And it actually made sense why these card types all existed (Differentiating artifacts and enchantments made a lot more sense before they introduced colored artifacts, colorless spells that aren't artifacts, and tappable enchantments ie. Witch's Mist).

Per rule 300.1, the current card types are artifact, conspiracy, creature, dungeon, enchantment, instant, land, phenomenon, plane, planeswalker, scheme, sorcery, tribal, and vanguard. There is no possible way that Battle couldn't have been tweaked to be a subtype of one these 14 already existing card types. The only way I think Battle would be acceptable is if it were an errata of several existing card types through which WOTC can eliminate many of the card types listed in rule 300.1

And it's not just card types, back when most of us were introduced to MTG, we didnt need to also have to learn about all sorts of other needless bloat like Day/Night cycles, Sagas, Companions, Monarch, the Venture mechanic and atleast a dozen other junk or parasitic mechanics that were introduced in the past few years.

I am absolutely sick of how needlessly more complex Wizards makes MTG every year. With the advent of smartphones, streaming services, apps etc, people have a ridiculous number of distractions and both attention spans and motivations to learn new and complex skills have shriveled up as a result. And while many things have reacted by becoming simpler and more streamlined, WOTC has moved MTG in the opposite direction. This is just as big a factor as the rapid pace of card releases and power creep in killing the game. WOTC went from being Hasbro's biggest cash cow to the cause of a 40% drop in it's stock price over the past two years, and I think this needless complexity is a big reason why.
    Last edited by Clark Kant; 01-19-2023 at 01:00 AM.

Thread Information