Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Brewed this up because of the interaction between 4 Venerated Rotpriest and 4 Bounty of the Hunt.
    If you have 2 rot priest and 1 other creature in play, that’s 6 poison all on it’s own, without using the combat step, and can’t be disrupted all that easily. Having a real closing plan that doesn’t involve combat is a game changer for infect. Rot priest is a house, it can punish people for interacting, and it can punish them for not interacting.

This could be adopted in UG infect, and it probably should be in some way, but i want to explore something new and different.

Is this a glass cannon? sure,
    Should it have some disruption? maybe,
    Does this have a hope in the current meta? probably not.
    Doesn’t mean it can’t be a lot of fun.
    This is where i’m starting from.
    Still really really fast, but more resilient in some ways, and has avenue’s to win a mid game.

4 Glistener Elf
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Ignoble Hierarch
    3 Elvish Spirit Guide
    1 Bloated Contaminator
    1 Cankerbloom
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Invigorate
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    3 Season of Growth
    2 Snakeskin Veil
    2 Vines of Vastwood
    1 Scale Up
    3 Berserk
    3 Once upon a time

4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Boseiju, who endures
    6 Forest
    3 Misty Rainforest

SB Options:
    Torpor Orb
    Veil of Summer
    Viridian corrupter
    Seeds of innocence
    Faerie Macabre
    Dismember
    Cursed Totem
    Postmortem Lunge

Weirdly enough you can win with normal damage without too much difficulty some times, which is certainly strange.

Some card choices:
    Season of Growth can be super powerful in here, giving you some card advantage for games that go a bit longer, while also being great when you are trying to go off.

Snakeskin Veil. A lot of the time you need your protection spells on your opponents turns, as that’s the smart time to be interacting from their side of things. This is the only protection spell that leaves some power behind. These might turn into Vines, but i haven’t kicked many vines, so i think the opposite might be true, but some sort of mix is where i'm starting.

Cankerbloom is a fantastic GSZ target, a disenchant that can proliferate? perfect.

Bloated Contaminator is a high end win con but not really sure if it’s wanted or necessary, i think going for rot priests with a GSZ will guarantee some poison counters more than this guy, but I want to try out the new cards, so i'm giving him a chance. He’s certainly not unreasonable coming down on turn 2 from your hand. It’s possible you want it in your opening hand more than as a tutor target, if so you'd want more, i'm doubtful that's the case here though. Viridian corrupter might claim this spot or the 4th Once Upon a Time.

All the rest of the cards should be pretty self explanatory.

Happy to hear any feedback.

Re: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

I wonder if it makes sense to try this in green blue with cards like Spellskite, Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief and Croaking Counterpart or in green/red with stuff like Heat Shimmer.

Rotpriest might actually be a dumber card than Tarmogoyf or Delver of Secrets.

Talk about words I never thought I'd type. I'm going to go ahead and guess that they didn't realize it triggered when you targeted it yourself, because I can't honestly believe that ANY level of playtesting wouldn't reveal the problems with that card immediately.

It's early, but all I'm seeing online is Poison and anti-poison. Standard is absolutely fucked given there isn't a single way to remove poison counters in the entire set.

For Legacy, I think you want to add some Proliferate triggers, and just gain the ability to ignore the combat step entirely if needed against someone that can quickly stabilize with only a few poison counters.

Green gives Evolution Sage, Pollenbright Druid, Smell Fear

In Blue you've got Contentious Plan, Tezzeret's Gambit, and Experimental Augury

Also, Prologue to Phyresis, Bring the Ending and Distorted Curiousity work well with poison.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    In blue there's also Flux Channeler

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quick search for spells that let you target "any number of target creature"
    Cauldron Haze
    Energy Arc
    Scapegoat
    Sway of Illusion

Seems like it'd be a different deck entirely, but Venerated Rotpriest +9 other creatures and any of the spells above is 10 poison. (Scapegoat needs it's goat, +1 creature for that line)
    2 Venerated Rotpriest + 3 other creatures would likely be the ideal line.
    Need to search up 1/1's for 2 that put a token creature into play or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Quick search for spells that let you target "any number of target creature" ....
    There's a cycle of "one or more" in legends - e.g. Dwarven Song, there's also some "up to" templating like Gird for Battle, and some "one or two" like Elven Rite or the aforementioned Bounty of the Hunt.

Though I'm not sure any of it is all that interesting.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Sylvan Paradise being green is probably the biggest get.
    An on-color 1CMC Instant that says "your opponent gets X*Y poison counters, where X is the number of Venerated Rotpriest you control and Y is the number of creatures you control"

EDIT:
    Nest Invader is the best number of creature for CMC value I could find, 2 creatures for 2 mana.
    Grist would be usefull since it plays nice with GSZ and makes creatures.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Thanks everyone for some cool ideas.

I don't think going into another non blue color for unlimited targeting is really worth it, especially for cards that can't stand on their own, but you are right in that it's worth thinking about and seeing if there is some sort of application.

warriors' lesson is interesting as is symbiosis. But i don't know if either can really overcome other options.

rufus
    I wonder if it makes sense to try this in green blue with cards like Spellskite, Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief and Croaking Counterpart or in green/red with stuff like Heat Shimmer.

These are cool ideas, but they are all very mana intensive. twinflame and Phantasmal Image are the cheapest clones, but there'd have to be a good reason to go there. As it stands GSZ is just better than all those options. Spellskite is for sure a consideration for it's combo potential.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post

Talk about words I never thought I'd type. I'm going to go ahead and guess that they didn't realize it triggered when you targeted it yourself, because I can't honestly believe that ANY level of playtesting wouldn't reveal the problems with that card immediately.

It's early, but all I'm seeing online is Poison and anti-poison. Standard is absolutely fucked given there isn't a single way to remove poison counters in the entire set.

For Legacy, I think you want to add some Proliferate triggers, and just gain the ability to ignore the combat step entirely if needed against someone that can quickly stabilize with only a few poison counters.

Green gives Evolution Sage, Pollenbright Druid, Smell Fear

Also, Prologue to Phyresis, Bring the Ending and Distorted Curiosity work well with poison.
    Agreed that Rotpriest seems pushed.

In it's current form, this already can avoid the combat step entirely.
    I can see adding some more proliferate cards, if those cards are decent on their own, I think the two i have in there currently are better than other options. Throne of Geth is also an option, sac an inkmoth and itself.
    I doubt Evolution Sage can out perform just going for a rotpriest. This is a very land light deck, and you are more likely to have pump spells in hand. Bloated Contaminator probably would always win out over sage as well.

March of Burgeoning Life might be nice to get another Rotpriest with the downside of exposing yourself to abysmal trades.
    However you can also use it to force some removal and then counter it with your hexproof spells.

Mutagenic Growth seems also nice as it's free while getting your priest out of bolt range.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    March of Burgeoning Life might be nice to get another Rotpriest with the downside of exposing yourself to abysmal trades.
    However you can also use it to force some removal and then counter it with your hexproof spells.
    I was thinking Mask of the Mimic might be a way to get more copies too since it targets, but you do have to sack a body to use it.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Just dropping this video here for ideas.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Summoners pact is certainly worth consideration.
    Might be for more of a combo focused build.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I was thinking Mask of the Mimic might be a way to get more copies too since it targets, but you do have to sack a body to use it.
    You have to sac a dude and still have a thing you're targeting, otherwise it fizzles.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    Summoners pact is certainly worth consideration.
    Might be for more of a combo focused build.
    Infect is already combo-ish, it just uses the combat step.
    If we're talking about a deck that wins via Poison counters, but doesn't use the combat step (or doesn't have to use the combat step) then I'd think everything should be up for consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Infect is already combo-ish, it just uses the combat step.
    If we're talking about a deck that wins via Poison counters, but doesn't use the combat step (or doesn't have to use the combat step) then I'd think everything should be up for consideration.
    While that is true, this one has the ability to slow roll the game as well so you might not want to go too all-in.

On another note, the priest also works with auras so maybe stuff like Spider Umbra might be an option to removal proof yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgoR3O3VtjM

Just dropping this video here for ideas.
    That really illustrates the gap in power level between "becomes a target" on the rotpriest and the "cast a spell targetting" template on heroic abilities.

Looking for that template led me toStormchaser Drake might work well with the free spell concept.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post

Looking for that template led me toStormchaser Drake might work well with the free spell concept.

Season of growth is in there for exactly that reason. I like that drake a lot, I've used it in other formats.

Sep 2011

Season of Growth is card negative - you initially go down a card, the first target breaks even, and you only gain a card after the 2nd target. Stormchaser Drake is a 2/x flier so you are never down a card and pull ahead after the first target.

UG would also allow the blue March or Gigadrowse. Either can multi-target or remove blockers from a pumped Infect creature. Blue also has Phantasmal Image to copy Rotpriest (opponent has to double poison themselves to trigger the downside, and you can stack the triggers to add more targeted spells & poison counters before any sacrifice). Plus cards like Force of Will and Daze to protect the combo.

If you want to be a glass cannon and not UG Infect, what about going GR like Bryant Cook's Modern deck?

Ground Rift is a cheap card that can either multi-target for Rotpriest or clear blockers from a pumped Glistener Elf. Seems good.

Edit: Pyrokinesis/Fury are functionally useful SB cards (not just glass cannon pieces) that can also target multiple creatures to combo (nonlethal 1 to each Rotpriest) or remove blockers.

In green Blossoming Defense seems better than Snakeskin Veil if you are trying to kill explosively.

Mutagenic Growth is free. With that, Bounty and Invigorate you can build considerable storm for 0 mana and then Ground Rift away blockers or multi-trigger Rotpriest.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-10-2023 at 11:29 AM.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Those are all solid ideas.

Fury, matched with Ground Rift and probably manamorphose for extra red to pitch, sounds cool.
    I've tried Mutagenic growth but it not being able to save most of your creatures from bolts always made it sub par. But it would make more sense in a build like this with red.

Blossoming is better on your own turn, Snakeskin is better on their turn. I think it's honestly a wash, so i want to try them out.

Am I missing something or why would you even consider Fury?
    It doesn't work with the Rotpriest while Pyrokinesis does.

Thread Information