Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Re: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Thank you! those are all good suggestions.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So i didn't do so well, but i was fairly competitive with a wide variety of decks. So i'll keep tinkering.
    Snakeskin Veil was good, the permanent buff is nice.

One idea i had for going over the top, or mid game, is to natural order into Tyrranax Rex
    Might be too expensive or at odds with the low mana count i currently have, but i'm going to try it out.

Can you give us a bit more detail about your results?
    Like what worked and what didn't?
    Did you manage to identify any major weak points?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

The deck went into the mid and late game better than i thought it would. Despite having little disruption, it's easy to be threatening at all times. Once the disruption comes in from the board it's pretty adept.

I'm of two minds on this deck now, lean into a slightly more midrange slower natural order deck with Cavern of Souls and more Bloated Contaminator, or go for a faster Season of growth free spell engine. When Season is in play it's amazing, and with 2 you can usually win pretty quickly. Having it as support didn't really play to it's strengths, sort of feels like a 3-4 or 0 sort of card. Play a couple mutagenic growths to up the free spell count. Being synergistic with the rot priest engine is a strong pull to me, i understand why some don't like this strategy.

The slower version (which can still win fast) would probably need some sort of disruption engine. Not sure what that would entail. But being a naturally fast deck, with a slow midgame threat seems like a not great place to be? but i could be wrong, and it is a better plan A plan B thing than i suspect.

I did learn a lot about what i'm wanting and liking in the sideboard.
    I want a full boat of Torpor orbs.
    Scryb Ranger seems like a fun time vs delver, also Run Afoul is good here and vs depths too.
    Veil of Summer was nuts and won a few games, no surprise.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Played an in person 4 rounder.

Esper Stone Blade LWL
    Yorion D&T WLW
    Mono R Prison WLL
    Mono B Reanimator, Gristle combo LWW

Ran this list

4 Glistener Elf
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Ignoble Hierarch
    2 Elvish Spirit Guide
    2 Bloated Contaminator
    1 Cankerbloom
    1 Dryad Arbor

4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Invigorate
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    4 Season of Growth
    2 Snakeskin Veil
    2 Vines of Vastwood
    2 Berserk
    1 Mutagenic Growth
    4 Once upon a time

4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Pendelhaven
    1 Boseiju, who endures
    5 Forest
    1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
    3 Misty Rainforest

SB:
    4 Torpor Orb
    3 Veil of Summer
    1 Force of Vigor
    2 Run Afoul
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Cavern of Souls

Torpor Orb's were amazing out of the board. Would have liked one less Veil and one more Force but i didn't have one.

As good as Once Upon a time is, i'm thinking this might not be the deck for it. If i cut them and moved some Caverns main, it would probably be about the same consistency. I found it equal parts helpful and clunky.

Bloated Contaminator is pretty good! I'm going to explore running more and the higher land count in the natural order build next.
    Legacy is sooo interactive right now (or trying to stop interaction with chalice etc) that you end up in the mid game a lot, so i'm going to see what NO can do, and run more contaminators with a higher land count.

Sep 2011

Thanks for posting the current list.

OUAT is strong, but in a build with higher creature count. Didn't realize you were running that many spells.

With that configuration you could go up to 4 Bloated Contaminator.

Do you still need Berserk? The deck isn't only Infect creatures anymore, and Berserk doesn't work as well with Toxic.

Was Season of Growth good? How often did it draw multiple cards?

If Glistener Elf was erratad to Phyrexian, then Cavern on Phyrexian looks good. But remember Invigorate needs a Forest in play, so you still need a good number of Forests.

It seems you prefer to slow roll it a bit more rather than going ultra explosive.
    How much do you value the Hierach?
    I'm thinking Cavern+Shepherd might be more solid.
    The nice thing about the Rotpriest is that you don't need to resolve anything besides him.
    So even if you have a Chalice and your pump spells get countered you still distribute aids counters.

I was thinking about a bit more aggressive route with more 0 mana spells like Mutagenic Growth.
    Gut Shot seems good too either as removal or on your dude to trigger the priest.
    2 toughness helps I guess.

It's maybe a meta call but what about Pact of Negation to protect you in your critical turn?

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Berserk was good when it was good, but in a slower build it's less necessary, and with Contaminator having trample naturally, there's less need to break through. Berserk is good for threatening lethal with Glistner and Inkmoth. Berserk is one of my favourite cards of all time, and i love what 2 of them do together, but i guess this isn't the deck to run 4 or maybe even 2. For the slow version, sadly i think the number is Zero.

Glistner has been Errata'd to Phyrexian, so Cavern is a go for that.

Pact of Negation would probably be worse than just running more Snakeskins or Veils i think.

Gut shot is a good idea, having a little removal for small creatures would be welcome.

Hierarchs were fantastic, and help your small infectors attack in, without needing a pump.

It's not that i like the slow rolling more as a strategy, but in all my games, things always went longer, so i was having to play in those situations, despite not wanting to.

I honestly didn't draw season that much on the day, but was good when i did. It won't be in the slow build, but a fast more free spell version i think it would be necessary.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

This is where i’m at for the slow build
    No berserks to break through, so not sure about that, feel like there needs to be something to get Elf and Nexus through blockers when pumped, just to keep people defensive.

4 Glistener Elf
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Ignoble Hierarch
    2 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Bloated Contaminator
    1 Cankerbloom
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Tyrranax Rex

4 Green Sun’s Zenith
    4 Invigorate
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    4 Snakeskin Veil
    3 Natural Order
    2 Infectious Bite

4 Inkmoth Nexus
    1 Pendelhaven
    2 Boseiju, who endures
    5 Forest
    1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Cavern of Souls

Infectious bite might not be good enough. But want something in there as removal. Having your own removal trigger rotpriest is very cool though and a nice interaction.

I know it’s sorcery speed and 3 mana but Carnivorous Canopy has a lot of desirable modes.
    There should maybe be a second NO target, maybe Hoof?

4x Snakeskin in this build is to get better proliferates with Contaminator. Bounty is also great for this.

Sep 2011

ESG looks worse in the grindy version. Both modes aren't as great. Card disadvantage mana, or 2/2 non-Poison creature.

Do you want a 2nd Natural Order target in case the T Rex is unavailable? Most decks play 2 targets. Putrefax? Otherwise Atraxa or Archon of Valor's Reach are generically good cards.

Infectious Bite looks like a great way to get blown out by removal. And you don't have many big creatures to fight.

Maybe instead you could make room for more green creatures in the GSZ package (and for NO fodder). Viridian Corruptor? Sylvan Safekeeper? Allosaurus Shepherd?

I'm still unconvinced that the interaction between Contaminator and Bounty is worth running 4.
    If you're not using it as a combat trick then it's a 0 for 2 especially if you don't have any Rotpriests.

Given that you're still doing a lot of regular combat damage, wouldn't be old school Progenitus be a valid NO target as well?

I agree that Bite looks bad.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

I was thinking Hoof, or the new Atraxa is a good idea as potential targets as well. Progenitus is cool, but i don't think it's on the level of other options.

I think you need a few ESG just so you can always have some protection up (similar to playing force, just you know way worse lol) while tapping out. Just to keep your opponents honest.

As far as 4 Contaminator goes, why would you just run out a Bounty for no reason? That is just a terrible play. You wait till you can get some value out of it.
    Same goes with thinking bite is leading to blow outs, with decks like this you want interactions during combat and then to blow someone out with protection, i'm not advocating playing terribly, that's like infect/combat trick decks 101. Also yes i have a ton of small creatures, but i'm also playing a bunch of pump spells.

I like the idea of expanding the GSZ package too, i like safekeeper as a target a lot. Great suggestion.

Thread Information