Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Re: Absinthe - Mono Green Poison

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Am I missing something or why would you even consider Fury?
    It doesn't work with the Rotpriest while Pyrokinesis does.
    You are right! D'oh!

Sep 2011

Am I missing something or why would you even consider Fury?
    It doesn't work with the Rotpriest while Pyrokinesis does.
    My mistake. I was trying to get cute with Fury target itself (for an extra creature to target), but missed that it is no longer a spell doing the targetting. Pyrokinesis is a good card though.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

A friend mentioned March of Burgeoning Life while i wouldn't want more than 1 or 2 copies, it is worth contemplating. You have to have a rot priest in play already for this to work, so you don't want a lot of copies, it does do some cool stuff at a reasonable cost. I'm going to test a couple out.

Sep 2011

March is played in the newer formats like Standard. It's a decent way to find a 2nd Rotpriest for 1G or G + a card. But those formats don't have GSZ, which does the same for 1G.

The big difference with GSZ is it doesn't require a Rotpriest in play and isn't countered by removal on Rotpriest (2-for-1). But March does trigger for 1 poison and the pitch cost could be used to find another in response to removal on Rotpriest.

It may be worth testing in small numbers after 4 copies of GSZ and OUAT.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    It's a decent way to find a 2nd Rotpriest for 1G
    2G, actually. March says "less than X" instead of "X or less" for some reason.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by snugar_i View Post
    2G, actually. March says "less than X" instead of "X or less" for some reason.
    Good point. That is uncommon templating so I missed it. 2G is more prohibitive, though you could pay G + 1 card and treat it like a creature Crop Rotation.

The deck may need something like Sylvan Library for aggressive card draw.

Example:

//Creatures: 20
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Glistener Elf
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Allosaurus Shepherd
    4 Skyshroud Cutter

//Cards: 12
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Once Upon A Time
    2 Sylvan Library
    2 March of Burgeoning Life

//Pump: 14
    4 Bounty of the Hunt
    4 Invigorate
    4 Snakeskin Veil
    2 Scale Up

//Lands: 14
    2 Pendelhaven
    2 Boseiju, Who Shelters All
    4 Misty Rainforest
    5 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard:
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Endurance

Cutter is a desperate attempt to get more bodies in play quickly (opponent life is irrelevant), though it doesn't have infect or toxic so it may be worse than just playing Endurance and casting Bounty with sacrifice on stack (for +1 target).

Allosaurus is a cheap creature to target that makes your comboy spells uncounterable and eventually +s Glistener Elf
    Last edited by FTW; 02-16-2023 at 04:54 PM.

Blame Dryad Arbor.

The good news is that one green card pitched can fetch both Rotpriest or Arbor.

March makes sense as additional GSZ if you go for an angle which doesn't necessarily turn dudes sideways.
    Don't forget it still triggers the original Rotpriest.

If you go for the infect angle there is no need for March.
    He could supplement classic infect as guaranteed value in case your opponent has removal or you don't have enough pump spells.

If you don't want to run more Allosaurus Shepherd, Cavern on Phyrexian might be an option.
    Since you don't need to actually resolve anything for the Rotpriest, maybe going for Chalice is not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Blame Dryad Arbor.

The good news is that one green card pitched can fetch both Rotpriest or Arbor.
    You can only get an Arbor if you already have one.
    That means a) playing more than 1 and b) wanting another one.

You can only get an Arbor if you already have one.
    That means a) playing more than 1 and b) wanting another one.
    I'm saying Arbor is why the templating is the way it is, they didn't want a repeat of GSZ.
    That's why it's less than X, because they didn't want people paying G to get another Dryad arbor. Esp when every green fetch can be one.
    Also each green card pitched adds 2, so you could pay G to get both because G+pitch = 2G

Sep 2011

I'm saying Arbor is why the templating is the way it is, they didn't want a repeat of GSZ.
    GSZ is G: put Arbor in play (turn 1)

Even if this was "X or less" this would be
    G: put 2nd Arbor in play (turn 2) if you spent a fetch getting Arbor (-1 mana), which is not what most decks want to do with their turn 2, much weaker than GSZ, and can be 2-for-1d with Bolt or Gut Shot

GSZ is G: put Arbor in play (turn 1)

Even if this was "X or less" this would be
    G: put 2nd Arbor in play (turn 2) if you spent a fetch getting Arbor (-1 mana), which is not what most decks want to do with their turn 2, much weaker than GSZ, and can be 2-for-1d with Bolt or Gut Shot
    Yes it would be weaker. But it's still why they did it.

Yes it would be weaker. But it's still why they did it.
    Or maybe because it's an instant?
    Not like it matters since it only searches for something you already have and GSZ is busted anyway.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

So can you Proliferate the counters that bounty gives and they stay right?
    That's a pretty messed up interaction if there is enough proliferate that is worth running, currently i only have 2 cards that do it, but now i could see wanting more.

Oracle:

Bounty of the Hunt{3}{G}{G}

Instant
    You may exile a green card from your hand rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
    Distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures.
    For each +1/+1 counter you put on a creature this way, remove a +1/+1 counter from that creature at the beginning of the next cleanup step.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimator View Post
    So can you Proliferate the counters that bounty gives and they stay right?
    That's a pretty messed up interaction if there is enough proliferate that is worth running, currently i only have 2 cards that do it, but now i could see wanting more.

Oracle:

Bounty of the Hunt{3}{G}{G}

Instant
    You may exile a green card from your hand rather than pay this spell’s mana cost.
    Distribute three +1/+1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures.
    For each +1/+1 counter you put on a creature this way, remove a +1/+1 counter from that creature at the beginning of the next cleanup step.

Well yeah you only have to remove as many counters as you put on your dudes with Bounty so if you proliferate those new counters stay.
    However, I fail to see how this is an amazing interaction given that there isn't that much good proliferate in green.
    Proliferate doesn't target in case that was the idea.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Well yeah you only have to remove as many counters as you put on your dudes with Bounty so if you proliferate those new counters stay.
    However, I fail to see how this is an amazing interaction given that there isn't that much good proliferate in green.
    Proliferate doesn't target in case that was the idea.
    I know Proliferate doesn't target, but getting permanent counters is valuable out of a pump spell (snakeskin Veil as well) I have a Bloated Contaminator and Cankerbloom in my list to proliferate. So i could see exploring that more. Contaminator does work pretty well with Bounty already cause of the trample.

I know Proliferate doesn't target, but getting permanent counters is valuable out of a pump spell (snakeskin Veil as well) I have a Bloated Contaminator and Cankerbloom in my list to proliferate. So i could see exploring that more. Contaminator does work pretty well with Bounty already cause of the trample.
    Ok, just wanted to make sure.

That plan however is only really good with infect dudes unless you plan to get 10 AIDS counters as well 0 life on your opponent.
    Bears the risk of losing with the opponent on 1 life and 9 counters though.

Sep 2011

After some brewing, I think the Storm plan is the way to go.

Ground Rift is the most efficient multi-targetting card. It only costs 1 mana & 1 card, only needs 1 creature in play, and can set off many triggers.

Bounty of the Hunt is great but costs 2 cards and needs 3 creatures in play to reach its max of 3 triggers. It costs more resources/setup to get going and has a lower ceiling.

The other multi-targeters cost 2+ mana and usually need multiple creatures in play. Their ceiling is constrained by the number of creatures you can keep out (the "any number of target creatures" spells) or the amount of mana you can generate (e.g. Gigadrowse). Ground Rift can hit its ceiling with just 1 mana and 1 creature. It just needs you to cast many spells - in Legacy that is an easier goal to reach.

GR Rotpriest Poison

//Rotpriests: 14
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Summoner's Pact

//Storm Spells: 8
    4 Ground Rift
    4 Galvanic Relay

//Mana: 24
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Land Grant
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Taiga
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Support: 14
    4 Gamble
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Allosaurus Shepherd

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Endurance
    3 Pyrokinesis
    4 Xantid Swarm
    1 Aeve, Progenitor Ooze
    1 Cankerbloom

Might be better with +4 LED +4 Echo of Eons -8 weaker filler

After some brewing, I think the Storm plan is the way to go.

Ground Rift is the most efficient multi-targetting card. It only costs 1 mana & 1 card, only needs 1 creature in play, and can set off many triggers.

Bounty of the Hunt is great but costs 2 cards and needs 3 creatures in play to reach its max of 3 triggers. It costs more resources/setup to get going and has a lower ceiling.

The other multi-targeters cost 2+ mana and usually need multiple creatures in play. Their ceiling is constrained by the number of creatures you can keep out (the "any number of target creatures" spells) or the amount of mana you can generate (e.g. Gigadrowse). Ground Rift can hit its ceiling with just 1 mana and 1 creature. It just needs you to cast many spells - in Legacy that is an easier goal to reach.

GR Rotpriest Poison

//Rotpriests: 14
    4 Venerated Rotpriest
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Summoner's Pact

//Storm Spells: 8
    4 Ground Rift
    4 Galvanic Relay

//Mana: 24
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Tinder Wall
    4 Land Grant
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Taiga
    1 Forest
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Support: 14
    4 Gamble
    4 Veil of Summer
    4 Manamorphose
    1 Sylvan Safekeeper
    1 Allosaurus Shepherd

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Force of Vigor
    3 Endurance
    3 Pyrokinesis
    4 Xantid Swarm
    1 Aeve, Progenitor Ooze
    1 Cankerbloom

Might be better with +4 LED +4 Echo of Eons -8 weaker filler
    At this point is there any reason not to just play regular storm?
    I don't see how being reliant on a creature you can't protect is the way to go.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

Thanks for the creative idea FTW, but i think that's too much of a radical departure from what i'm trying to do.

Going to play a 4 round FNM this week with the deck.

Pretty much what i posted on the first page.
    I added a Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth as it's randomly great for getting green out of your inkmoths, which can be relevant.

Sideboard is a bit of a mess, as i don't have all the cards i want to run at the moment.

Win or lose i'll write about how it went.

Sep 2011

Thanks for the creative idea FTW, but i think that's too much of a radical departure from what i'm trying to do.

Going to play a 4 round FNM this week with the deck.

Pretty much what i posted on the first page.
    I added a Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth as it's randomly great for getting green out of your inkmoths, which can be relevant.

Sideboard is a bit of a mess, as i don't have all the cards i want to run at the moment.

Win or lose i'll write about how it went.
    No problem. If you plan on sticking monogreen with a plan like the OP list, I would recommend the following changes:

- 3 Season of Growth (I think this card will be too slow/conditional for Legacy vs how explosive you want to be)
    - 1 Berserk (you're split between the beatdown and Rotpriest plan, so you don't need to be as suicidal as regular Infect)

+2 Sylvan Library (better card draw for monogreen)
    +1 Once Upon A Time (more turn 1 Rotpriest/Elf)
    +1 Boseiju (deck feels a bit land-light, plus more ways to kill Chalice is good)

For the SB, the following are musts (Tier 0) in mono G:
    Force of Vigor
    Endurance
    Collector Ouphe

After that you may want some Veil of Summers, Mindbreak Trap for combo, and then some singleton silver bullets.

Viridian Corruptor is on theme, but a 4 mana GSZ play is probably too slow to interact with most things that you really need to destroy. Force of Vigor & Cankerbloom look faster.

Thread Information