Thread: Feb FNM

Threaded View

Feb/March-Sept FNMs Cardiff

On to the results from Feb, our second event. From 4 rounds and 11 players nobody made 12 as the last match to finish saw the only 3-0 lose the decider. Luckily companion didn't crash and calculators were not needed to separate the top 3 who all played each other. We thus had the following four decks on 9 points (in no particular order)
    Elves (back to a glimpse version, not Elf Street shenanigans, with Natural Order package. Atraxa might be in the post, but there was a cheeky main deck Ouphe!)
    Naya Depths (classic Minsc and Boo regular list)
    Initiative-Stax hybrid (think white plume/archon/annointed peacekeepers/chalice as per initiative,but a different mana base with Urza's saga, 3ball, Armageddon/Ravages and Karn)
    Mono Red painter (slightly old karn build)
    On 6 we had, in no particular order, RW Initiative (all the initiative critters in RW, - dragon stompy with white and all the initative)
    Mana dredge
    UWR day's undoing Narset (running mentor but not Triumph of St Katherine)
    GB Depths with smog combo
    Burn
    Rounding it out on 3 were
    Bomberman
    Storm variant with some epic gamble shenanigans (I am assured that this particlar itch has been scratched and regular TES will be back on the menu next time).
    Probably the most inventive deck selections we have seen for a while. As more supplemental cards fail to make MTGO in a timely fashion I think people have been rewarded for trying out new cards in established shells- initiative was packed a long time round here before it was available online, for example. Every month Elves seems to be getting a new toy, and the meta here has stayed fresh with lots of diffrent decks represented these past few months.
    Finally a shout to SWAWLQ if you are in the UK- March 4th- Bristol- proxy friendly. Here we are again for another Legacy, the second in Febuary thanks to the schedule change. Going forward these will be the last of the month. I missed our first one this month, so I was glad that we had a super competetive field with some faces we haven't seen for a while.
    As ever, I will give the results in terms of decks rather than pilots. I know a lot of reports on such tournaments like to give both pilot and deck, but I have always felt that if a new to the area player walks in they can potentially look up last months' results, and more importantly that if a new to the format player turns up, borrows a deck and goes 0-4 it might be a tad offputting to have their name in lights.
    On to the results. From 4 rounds and 11 players nobody made 12 as the last match to finish saw the only 3-0 lose the decider. Luckily companion didn't crash and calculators were not needed to separate the top 3 who all played each other. We thus had the following four decks on 9 points (in no particular order)
    Elves (back to a glimpse version, not Elf Street shenanigans, with Natural Order package. Atraxa might be in the post, but there was a cheeky main deck Ouphe!)
    Naya Depths (classic Minsc and Boo regular list)
    Initiative-Stax hybrid (think white plume/archon/annointed peacekeepers/chalice as per initiative,but a different mana base with Urza's saga, 3ball, Armageddon/Ravages and Karn)
    Mono Red painter (slightly old karn build)
    On 6 we had, in no particular order, RW Initiative (all the initiative critters in RW, - dragon stompy with white and all the initative)
    Mana dredge
    UWR day's undoing Narset (running mentor but not Triumph of St Katherine)
    GB Depths with smog combo
    Burn
    Rounding it out on 3 were
    Bomberman
    Storm variant with some epic gamble shenanigans (I am assured that this particlar itch has been scratched and regular TES will be back on the menu next time).
    Probably the most inventive deck selections we have seen for a while. As more supplemental cards fail to make MTGO in a timely fashion I think people have been rewarded for trying out new cards in established shells- initiative was packed a long time round here before it was available online, for example. Every month Elves seems to be getting a new toy, and the meta here has stayed fresh with lots of diffrent decks represented these past few months.
    Finally a shout to SWAWLQ- wina dual style events held in Bristol UK on March 4th- proxy friendly, great venue. https://swawlq.com/ for details
    Last edited by drmarkb; 09-30-2023 at 06:32 AM.

Thread Information