Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should Disney pay Hasbro to buy MTG? What do you think MTG is worth?

How much should Disney pay Hasbro to buy MTG? What do you think MTG is worth?

Hasbros stock is down to about 60% of what it was an year ago. The whole company is currently only worth 7.5 billion. That seems low. Disney paid 4 billion for Marvel Comics 14 years ago, and that was before inflation went nuts.

How much do you think MTG and D&D is worth? Not just the game, but the stories, nostalgia, lore and rich universe which is ripe for well executed tv/film (something Hasbro has failed at leveraging but that Disney has historically done a much better job with?)

How much do you think MTG and D&D would be worth if it had access to the Marvel Multiverse, Disney Studios and Pixar?

I think MTG would be in a better place if instead of flooding the market with cards, the releases were pared back and instead the focus was on translating the lore and stories to other venues (blockbuster movies, tv shows, video games) in order to broaden the audience and increase the franchise’s visibility.

Trying to think of the possibilities if Disney had access to the characters, stories and lore behind D and D, Pokemon, MTG and MTG’s Universe Beyond had access to Pixar, Star Wars, Avatar and Marvel.

Would Doctor Strange and Wanda be staple characters in D&D?

Would cloudpost decks play a Beyonder planeswalker that outshines Ugin?

Would it make sense to print Nicol Bolas as a Galactus, World Eater Who Consumes All Planeswalker?

Would the Death Star be good enough to slot into the Karn wishboard?

Would you build and play an Avengers themed deck in MTG? Or would you feel that would destroy magic?

Might a Frozen or Tangled/Tinkerbell/Beauty and the Beast/Disney Princess themed set be what gets more girls interested in Magic?

How would you reintroduce Aladdin into MTG?

Re: How much should Disney pay Hasbro to buy MTG? What do you think MTG is worth?

Disney already bought a card game company and is release decks for it and no lie I am psyched for the Mickey Mouse / Moana team up deck because if I could play Mickey Mouse in all formats I would.

Re: How much should Disney pay Hasbro to buy MTG? What do you think MTG is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    Hasbros stock is down to about 60% of what it was an year ago. The whole company is currently only worth 7.5 billion. That seems low. Disney paid 4 billion for Marvel Comics 14 years ago, and that was before inflation went nuts.

How much do you think MTG and D&D is worth? Not just the game, but the stories, nostalgia, lore and rich universe which is ripe for well executed tv/film (something Hasbro has failed at leveraging but that Disney has historically done a much better job with?)
    Doesn't matter how much it's worth, it matters how much Disney would pay (probably more than 7.5 billion).

Also, I'm pretty sure that MTG is literally the only money maker at Hasbro, so Disney would want to spin off everything else.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

They'd have to buy all of Hasbro though. Hasbro, minus WotC, would be a zombie, they have little revenue outside it (which is why they are pumped Magic so hard). Disney can just let them bleed out. Lorcana is almost certainly aimed at just cutting some of those profits anyway, so there is little hurry. It is extremely unlikely Hasbro figures out how to make any non-WotC money in the near future, so why pay top dollar for it?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Disney is overwhelmingly focused on brand building, and Magic has a terrible brand. D&D is better but only by comparison. It’s just not the type of property that fits well with Disney, which is and has been an unusually well disciplined engine in this regard
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Disney is overwhelmingly focused on brand building, and Magic has a terrible brand. D&D is better but only by comparison. It’s just not the type of property that fits well with Disney, which is and has been an unusually well disciplined engine in this regard
    This, wotc has basically decided that they want to be popular though being creatively derivative of what is considered popular already over doing their own thing, as a result nobody cares about their original IP. MTG and DnD are only successful because the game systems are robust, complex and have some pedigree, but you cant sell toys, theme park rides or make tv shows about those things. Its why nobody outside of mtg really cares about phyrexia or ravnica or the planeswalkers, while mtg churns out cross promotion secret lairs and has a ton of planes based around things that reference mainstream nerd culture and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by phonics View Post
    This, wotc has basically decided that they want to be popular though being creatively derivative of what is considered popular already over doing their own thing, as a result nobody cares about their original IP. MTG and DnD are only successful because the game systems are robust, complex and have some pedigree, but you cant sell toys, theme park rides or make tv shows about those things. Its why nobody outside of mtg really cares about phyrexia or ravnica or the planeswalkers, while mtg churns out cross promotion secret lairs and has a ton of planes based around things that reference mainstream nerd culture and so on.
    Wait 'till you hear what Disney is doing!

Why would they need to buy Hasbro if they have a competing product to MTG in the works and could make RPGs within a heartbeat if they wanted?

Both Hasbro and Disney have entered the stage of creative vampirism and just squeeze out their consumers by endlessly recycling the same ideas and franchises without producing anything new unless by accident.
    While Disney has managed to acquire a critical mass and positioned itself strong in the changing media landscape, Hasbro has failed at that.
    Now it is subsiding on life support draining WotC.
    They forced so much revenue out of MTG by shitting out infinite product that the eventual consumer burnout and market contraction will hurt them hard.

At this point, maybe let it die and sit for a while so someone who actually cares can resurrect it in a decade or so.

This, wotc has basically decided that they want to be popular though being creatively derivative of what is considered popular already over doing their own thing, as a result nobody cares about their original IP.
    LOL

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

disneys main revenue comes from the theme parks. d&d is just rip off tolkien lore, so they shouldnt bother with that and magic lore isnt even lore to begin with.
    i dont see a reason why disney should buy hasbro.
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    disneys main revenue comes from the theme parks. d&d is just rip off tolkien lore, so they shouldnt bother with that and magic lore isnt even lore to begin with.
    i dont see a reason why disney should buy hasbro.
    Their main revenue, by about 2 : 1, comes from media still. Movies, Tv, etc.
    Disney is a publicly traded company so they have to tell us.

D&D has some pedigree in the movie and TV space already, the upcoming D&D movie, all of the previous trash films, Vox Machina and Critical Role is something to build off of or exploit for other ventures. Just as a generic sword and sorcery brand for film and tv, the name recognition carries a lot of weight with it.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

What I think about Hasbro's stock price is that the tricky thing about philosophizing with a hammer is that you still have to make sense while you're doing it.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Cool, so now Jace the Fuckboi of Life can be in Kingdom Hearts

After a while all the crossovers just feel like shitty fanfic to me, like there's a 6 year old sitting somewhere writing these Ravnica vs Transformers vs Sephiroth vs Lego Star Wars stories in their spare time between parentally mandated activities at the YMCA, and their shareholder parents don't know how to say no to the kid so when they say "I want a game where the Avengers meet Chandra and they all planeswalk to present day NYC and meet the Ninja Turtles" and the parents are like "anything for my little tax break" and the shit just happens, and it's like so common now that people have gone from the "nobody asked for this" stance to going "well if you're gonna do it at least just don't suck okay"

All these IP giants consuming each other like a Human Centipede Mobius strip is just too late-stage capitalism for me. Is this like, actually a thing that might happen, or are we just having a go here
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    After a while all the crossovers just feel like shitty fanfic to me, like there's a 6 year old sitting somewhere writing these Ravnica vs Transformers vs Sephiroth vs Lego Star Wars stories in their spare time between parentally mandated activities at the YMCA, and their shareholder parents don't know how to say no to the kid so when they say "I want a game where the Avengers meet Chandra and they all planeswalk to present day NYC and meet the Ninja Turtles" and the parents are like "anything for my little tax break" and the shit just happens, and it's like so common now that people have gone from the "nobody asked for this" stance to going "well if you're gonna do it at least just don't suck okay"
    This sounds better than whatever the actual storyline is.

planeswalkers already are fan fic inserts doing cross overs. Just now it's explicitly a different IP

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    This sounds better than whatever the actual storyline is.
    Apparently this was the original plan for Mister Sinister from Marvel, he was supposed to be the manifestation of a psychic comatose child's unconscious of what a badass grimdark villain would look and act like.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fortune View Post
    D&D has some pedigree in the movie and TV space already, the upcoming D&D movie, all of the previous trash films, Vox Machina and Critical Role is something to build off of or exploit for other ventures. Just as a generic sword and sorcery brand for film and tv, the name recognition carries a lot of weight with it.
    Its a negative pedigree in films tho. Even the new one looks, well, pretty bad.
    How would they scale critical roll? It already is well known and has it's fans, it's about as mainstream as can be for what it is.

Magic and dnd seem like a LOT of effort to make a little profit with a horrible fanbase. If anyone buys wotc/Hasbro it will be some investment firm and the money milking will get even worse.

There is a ton of incredible story and world building. So many interesting planes, characters and events.

It reminds of Marvel before Disney bought it, tons of incredible characters and story arcs that have never been put to film or adapted to TV.

Yes adapting them well requires a big financial commitment, but in a few years when using AI to create excellent CGI for cheap becomes the norm, it wouldnt require as large a financial commitment. And I think the stories, lore, planes in MTG and D&D are very valuable.

The key thing everyone is underestimating is the value of Magic and D&D's demo. Due to the complexity of these games, they appeal to specific types of people. I played Magic in a Public Middle School and Public High School with all of the nerdiest kids in my school. There were only about 20 of us in our whole high school that played Magic, but almost all 20 of us have doctorates or other advanced degrees, and all of us are at the top of our respective fields and earn very well, and most of us now have kids that we are introducing to Magic.

So I think the nostalgia for MTG appeals to a demographic that is very prized by marketing agencies and sought after to target for ads. This might not be true in 20-30 years when we become old men. But right now, we are a sought after demo and not building up to an Avengers Endgame type event or a Game of Thrones type series that we also introduce our kids and nephews/nieces to with this IP is a huge misstep.

The D&D movie was great. They need to greenlight a D&D trilogy by this same team stat.

And Hasbro also needs to team the guys that wrote the D&D movie with the director of Infinity War/Endgame or the guys that directed the best Transformers films to make an MTG film trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hammer View Post
    The D&D movie was great. They need to greenlight a D&D trilogy by this same team stat.

And Hasbro also needs to team the guys that wrote the D&D movie with the director of Infinity War/Endgame or the guys that directed the best Transformers films to make an MTG film trilogy.
    I've never disagreed more with a post.

Thread Information