Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It's a preordain, so (especially) at the first counter if you top a card they almost assuredly mill it....so uh, emrakul them.
    I wonder how good this is going to be in Workshops. It has the perfect mana cost for that and played early, it guarantees you lots of draws and filtering, given that it isn't really feasible to risk not giving the draw after a certain amount of counters.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Pretty sure there’s better ways to draw a card a turn that aren’t conditional and don’t require running bad cards.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Pretty sure there’s better ways to draw a card a turn that aren’t conditional and don’t require running bad cards.
    IMO it isn't conditional. Like dredge slams this down you can't ever let them do the mill. Even if they brick on lands those lands have CMCs now and you paid 6+ life for the privledge. They hit a Creeping chill you just lose 7 life to stop 1 card?

Dredge really doesn't get to 3 mana reliably enough to make this part of the game plan. Even at 2 mana, it would be hard to fit in (Tolarian Winds is just not good enough, even in the newer Blue Gaze lists, and Glimpse the Unthinkable isn't used either).

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Again I'd say Palantir of Orthanc is more in line for Sneak & Show or Reanimator.
    Letting either decks draw extra cards is bad but you're running the risk of letting them stack runner runner CMC 7-8 creatures and just dome you for 15 after the second turn it's out.

Like, S&S plays Ancient Tomb, Lotus Petal, Palantir. Maybe you Force but they Force back. Whatever, that's 5 cards out of their hand, could have been worse. End of their turn, one influence counter and scry 2. Do you let them draw an extra card? Mill 1 sure, it's a Show and Tell, ha, got em, you're no chump, you lose 3 life. You play out your Delver or whatever, pass to them, they draw, play Island, cast Brainstorm. End of turn, two influence counters and scry 2. Maybe Emrakul + Force are on top and you're just dead? Just letting them draw 2 a turn won't end well for you, so what do you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Wouldn't any stompy, post or prison deck want this as well?
    They are notoriously starved on CA and run decently high average mana cost cards.

I don't think you want to play this unless you're planning to go for the long run anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    They are notoriously starved on CA and run decently high average mana cost cards.

I don't think you want to play this unless you're planning to go for the long run anyway.
    I thought about it in post, but then I thought my op would force it and wasteland my tomb so I spent 3 cards and skipped my turn to just have a tapped monolith in play and it made me sad so I didn't do it.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Again I'd say Palantir of Orthanc is more in line for Sneak & Show or Reanimator.
    Letting either decks draw extra cards is bad but you're running the risk of letting them stack runner runner CMC 7-8 creatures and just dome you for 15 after the second turn it's out.

Like, S&S plays Ancient Tomb, Lotus Petal, Palantir. Maybe you Force but they Force back. Whatever, that's 5 cards out of their hand, could have been worse. End of their turn, one influence counter and scry 2. Do you let them draw an extra card? Mill 1 sure, it's a Show and Tell, ha, got em, you're no chump, you lose 3 life. You play out your Delver or whatever, pass to them, they draw, play Island, cast Brainstorm. End of turn, two influence counters and scry 2. Maybe Emrakul + Force are on top and you're just dead? Just letting them draw 2 a turn won't end well for you, so what do you do?
    In what matchup is this going to be better than Defense Grid, which costs one less?

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

A resolved Ensnaring Bridge comes to mind. They'll let you draw, dig faster for the Brazen Borrower out you need.
    Do decks play Ensnaring Bridge anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

A resolved Ensnaring Bridge comes to mind. They'll let you draw, dig faster for the Brazen Borrower out you need.
    Aren’t there better ways to draw cards tho, if that’s all you’re doing?

Like imagine the strictly better version of this card that just says at the end of your turn, scry 2 and draw

Would that come to your mind as an answer to bring in against decks running Bridge

I thought about it in post, but then I thought my op would force it and wasteland my tomb so I spent 3 cards and skipped my turn to just have a tapped monolith in play and it made me sad so I didn't do it.
    To be fair, that sounds like a sad time regardless of what you're trying to do.
    Also, in this case your opponent is also down 3 cards.

Why would you want to draw cards at the end of your turn with Bridge?
    Worst case is you allowing yourself to be attacked with 1/X dudes.
    That's why modern lanterns plays Bottled Cloister.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Stompy definitely benefits from running the high CC pitch elementals and high CC double-sided lands. Stuff like Emeria's Call hitting for 7 WILL hurt.

3 mana pseudo wrath and more aggro refueling fodder.

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

3 mana pseudo wrath and more aggro refueling fodder.
    So they make a battle after the set they introduced battles, with battle in the title, but it's not a battle?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    So they make a battle after the set they introduced battles, with battle in the title, but it's not a battle?
    Correct. It's a battle, but not a BATTLE

https://mythicspoiler.com/ltr/cards/elvenfarsight.html
    Scry 3, then you may draw if the top cards is a creature..

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    It's Schrodinger's battle.

Ehhh, I’m not sold. Natural Selection can still target the opponent and you can choose to shuffle their library.

Nobody gave a shit about Adventurous Impulse so I doubt this will see any play.

Is this playable?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Is this playable?

Hmm, it is very comparable to Chrome Host Seedshark.

Generally Seedshark going wide is probably better than Saruman going tall, but there could be cases where that isn't the case maybe. But Sarumon costing 4 versus 3 for Seedshark might be the biggest difference.

Ultimately, I'd guess this is probably about as playable as Seedshark really, which is to say, fringe or so?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Thread Information