Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

it is just weaker than spirit of the labyrinth, so i don' t think it is good enough
    This both kills Spirit and is Asymetrical.
    I mean agaisnt a cantrip deck I prefer spirit of the labyrinth than this card, spirit stops all their cantrips while this card just deals damage

you don't want to give your opponent the choice to draw a card, also it has also to be compared to faerie mastermind
    which does card advantage which it think is better

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: LOTR Tales from Middle Earth: Our Burden To Bear Is a Purple Gandalf the Gray

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    I mean agaisnt a cantrip deck I prefer spirit of the labyrinth than this card, spirit stops all their cantrips while this card just deals damage

you don't want to give your opponent the choice to draw a card, also it has also to be compared to faerie mastermind
    which does card advantage which it think is better
    What’s the most played card in the format? Against a Brainstorm, getting a 4/4 and distributing 4 damage among any number of targets is way better than genetic draw a card, and only one of these has the possibility to straight up win the game in response to Griselbrand or Echo or Peer or Enter the Infinite
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    You sure? This has flash and puts 3 damage divided over 3 sources when it comes into play, so a 3/1 is breaking even at minimum.

This thing is on a short list of cards to flash in response to Teferi, Time Raveler and spoil their day. Bouncing the Bowmaster leaves behind a 1/1 that will clean up not even counting Bowmaster coming down again on your turn, bouncing the token just kills the Teferi, they could only really go for a +1 which is super anemic.

Just seems there are fewer decks this isn't good against than decks that not.
    This is a great point too

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

They Reanimate into Griselbrand and then draw 7 and then in response they're dead

Even if not Reanimate, the Griselbrand is dead and you have an 8/8 to swing back with? Yes please

Also kind of gets glossed over, but this card is black, all the counter examples of white and blue cards are neat and all, but does miss some deck building core concepts.
    This like rubs shoulders with Chains of Mephistopheles, which is kind of wild
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

You sure? This has flash and puts 3 damage divided over 3 sources when it comes into play, so a 3/1 is breaking even at minimum.

This thing is on a short list of cards to flash in response to Teferi, Time Raveler and spoil their day. Bouncing the Bowmaster leaves behind a 1/1 that will clean up not even counting Bowmaster coming down again on your turn, bouncing the token just kills the Teferi, they could only really go for a +1 which is super anemic.

Just seems there are fewer decks this isn't good against than decks that not.
    They Reanimate into Griselbrand and then draw 7 and then in response they're dead

Even if not Reanimate, the Griselbrand is dead and you have an 8/8 to swing back with? Yes please

Also kind of gets glossed over, but this card is black, all the counter examples of white and blue cards are neat and all, but does miss some deck building core concepts.
    It does provide extra appeal to Sign in Blood too

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It does provide extra appeal to Sign in Blood too
    lol I love this

Play it with Burning Inquiry and Winds of Change because who gives a shit, give 'em the ensuing 9/9 Orc beatdown

This card slaps
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Also, it explicitly only excludes the draw in their draw step not just the first card they draw.
    That means it can't be soft dodged by drawing a card in your turn.

This has a lot of hoops but doesn't return EOT:

Fodder for the hammer time deck:

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    Also, it explicitly only excludes the draw in their draw step not just the first card they draw.
    That means it can't be soft dodged by drawing a card in your turn.

This has a lot of hoops but doesn't return EOT:

Fodder for the hammer time deck:

Recur Kaldra equip Kaldra for free? Seems decent in SFM decks.

So you expect your opponent to be terrible to win right ? They can just go for atraxa, archaon or not draw with griselbrand and win with 7/7 lifelink beatdown

What’s the most played card in the format? Against a Brainstorm, getting a 4/4 and distributing 4 damage among any number of targets is way better than genetic draw a card, and only one of these has the possibility to straight up win the game in response to Griselbrand or Echo or Peer or Enter the Infinite
    Against echo i prefer let them draw 0 cards than draw 7 deals 7 damage, that's not enough to kill them.

You get a 3/3 in resp to a brainstorm, but again if you play against a combo deck, that doesn't quite matter, cause it doesn't shut down their ability to find pieces of the combo (doomsday, show and tell here spiri is better again). And if you play against control/tempo, they might have a lot of removals for your dude, or just draw cards to find them, here spirit is again way better.

Quote Originally Posted by adrieng View Post
    So you expect your opponent to be terrible to win right ? They can just go for atraxa, archaon or not draw with griselbrand and win with 7/7 lifelink beatdown

Against echo i prefer let them draw 0 cards than draw 7 deals 7 damage, that's not enough to kill them.

You get a 3/3 in resp to a brainstorm, but again if you play against a combo deck, that doesn't quite matter, cause it doesn't shut down their ability to find pieces of the combo (doomsday, show and tell here spiri is better again). And if you play against control/tempo, they might have a lot of removals for your dude, or just draw cards to find them, here spirit is again way better.
    I actually agree with most of what you are saying. But I do want to bring up a couple points. First, Spirt does not have flash. So your move with that is telegraphed. Archers, like Opposition Agent, can catch opponents by surprise and create huge tempo swings. Second yes usually Spirit is better, but that does nothing to discount what a value engine Archers is. It does not need to end the game to make a creature responding to brainstorm providing a 1/1, a 4/4, and dealing 4 damage to any amount of targets, at instant speed, for 2 mana, good...

Looks like dinner is back on the menu!

NOTE: Triggers off ANY Goblin hitting, not just itself!

May 2015
    PDX

Barrow-Blade might see play as the first playable card red can use to begin to deal with Kaldra.

Ponderable Orb:

Palantir of Orthanc {3}

Legendary Artifact

At the beginning of your end step, put an influence counter on Palantir of Orthanc and scry 2. Then target opponent may have you draw a card. If that player doesn't, you mill X cards, where X is the number of influence counters on Palantir of Orthanc, and that player loses life equal to the total mana value of those cards.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Watching Brian Coval play some donation deck that was Ninjas/Death's Shadow combo with a handful of Shadow of Mortality as fun hits off Yuriko, you could achieve the same thing with this as a one card combo. Show and Tell or Reanimator binning a few Gridelbrand or Emrakul to finish the game seems like a easily accessed pivot.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    lol I love this

Play it with Burning Inquiry and Winds of Change because who gives a shit, give 'em the ensuing 9/9 Orc beatdown

This card slaps
    It's worth noting that one copy of Bowmaster + Sheoldred + any draw 7 is already exactly 20 damage for the instagib (14 from Sheldred, 6 from Bowmaster since the first card doesn't count; not counting the initial ping from Bowmaster).

Palantir of Orthanc
    Legendary Artifact
    At the beginning of your end step, put an influence counter on Palantir of Orthanc and scry 2. Then target opponent may have you draw a card. If that player doesn't, you mill X cards, where X is the number of influence counters on Palantir of Orthanc, and that player loses life equal to the total mana value of those cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's worth noting that one copy of Bowmaster + Sheoldred + any draw 7 is already exactly 20 damage for the instagib (14 from Sheldred, 6 from Bowmaster since the first card doesn't count; not counting the initial ping from Bowmaster).
    ... whenever an opponent draws a card except the first one they draw in each of their draw steps...
    It doesn't ignore the first draw in general, just the first one in their draw step.
    You can't dodge it by drawing a card during your opponents turn like Narset.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    It doesn't ignore the first draw in general, just the first one in their draw step.
    You can't dodge it by drawing a card during your opponents turn like Narset.
    My bad, I should RTFC.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Palantir of Orthanc
    Legendary Artifact
    A shame your opponent can always choose, otherwise it would be a kill with Congregation at Dawn at two counters. Might still be interesting with something like Stronghold where you can threaten to mill a fatty every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    My bad, I should RTFC.

A shame your opponent can always choose, otherwise it would be a kill with Congregation at Dawn at two counters. Might still be interesting with something like Stronghold where you can threaten to mill a fatty every turn.
    It's a preordain, so (especially) at the first counter if you top a card they almost assuredly mill it....so uh, emrakul them.

More Thalia.dec fodder

Thread Information