Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

Re: 4 Card Blind: Ban-Back Better

4 Dogs: Dryad Arbor, Subterranean Hangar, Dark Ritual, Razorlash Transmogrant Notes: N/A
    12/12 goes smashy smashy. I almost played a Dark Ritual this week.
    6-0

Asthereal: Hickory Woodlot, City of Traitors, Mongrel Pack, Akroan Horse Notes: Four dogs in a pack and four soldiers in a horse suit is as close as I came to your name. :)
    12/12 is too fast, but City of Traitors is bad for me. I'm glad our test round has a duplicate though.
    6-0

Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Force of Will, Sea's Claim, Crashing Footfalls Notes: Can't submit a deck if the comprehensive rules don't define it as one
    Force of Will doesn't hurt me, but Sea's Claim does. If only City of Traitors kept its sacrifice clause!
    0-6

dte: Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar, Chancellor of the tangle, Grief, Aether vial Notes: N/A
    Aether Vial + Tangle is always fun because there are so many ways to fill out the deck.
    6-0

Silkster: City of Traitors, The Mycosynth Gardens, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Noxious Revival Notes: N/A
    Roar!

E: Bonus TestUser Testy McGee: Forest, Subterranean Hanger, Dark Ritual, Grief
    Was this added after the fact to make more overlaps so that we'd see it play out more?
    6-0

24 points against 5 opponents, one overlap, so (24/5)-1 = 3.8 round points, if I understand correctly.
    Last edited by silkster; 11-28-2023 at 01:49 AM.

Wrath of Pie: Botanical Sanctum, Force of Will, Sea's Claim, Crashing Footfalls Notes: Can't submit a deck if the comprehensive rules don't define it as one

4 Dogs: Dryad Arbor, Subterranean Hangar, Dark Ritual, Razorlash Transmogrant Notes: N/A - WW
    Asthereal: Hickory Woodlot, City of Traitors, Mongrell Pack, Akroan Horse Notes: Four dogs in a pack and four soldiers in a horse suit is as close as I came to your name. :) - WW
    dte: Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar, Chancellor of the tangle, Grief, Aether vial Notes: N/A - WD - Changle stops the test round sweep.
    Silkster: City of Traitors, The Mycosynth Gardens, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Noxious Revival Notes: N/A - WW
    E: Bonus TestUser Testy McGee: Forest, Subterranean Hanger, Dark Ritual, Grief - WW - Might be able to win a game against Boaty McBoatface.

BTW, my note isn't a joke. (Short version: deck becomes a library, our cards start in hand, so hand is a more appropriate term than deck)

My deck: Dryad Arbor, Subterranean Hangar, Dark Ritual, Razorlash Transmogrant Notes: N/A

Asthereal: Hickory Woodlot, City of Traitors, Mongrell Pack, Akroan Horse Notes: Four dogs in a pack and four soldiers in a horse suit is as close as I came to your name. :)
    0-2
    0-2
    dte: Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar, Chancellor of the tangle, Grief, Aether vial Notes: N/A
    0-2
    Silkster: City of Traitors, The Mycosynth Gardens, Phyrexian Dreadnought, Noxious Revival Notes: N/A
    0-2
    E: Bonus TestUser Testy McGee: Forest, Subterranean Hanger, Dark Ritual, Grief[/QUOTE]
    2-0

so 2-8, That's 6 points for two wins.
    Duplicates: Hanger and Ritual. Each used once, so -2.
    4 Points for the round.

Testy McGee:
    0-8. 0 points
    Shared cards: Dark Ritual (1) Hangar (1) Grief (1) -3 points.
    Shoot the moon? All loses, check. But: No, forest is not duplicated. No Forest disqualifies the attempt
    -3 points total.

New banned list:
    Dryad Arbor
    Subterranean Hangar
    Dark Ritual
    Razorlash
    Hickory Woodlot
    City of Traitors
    Mongreel Pack
    Akroan Horse
    Botanical Sanctum
    Force of Will
    Seal's Claim
    Crashing Footfalls
    Asmo
    CChancellor of the Tangle
    Grief
    Aether Vial
    City of traitors
    Mycosynth Gardens
    Dreadnought
    Noxious Revival

Feb 2014

Silk and 4dogs do count the duplicate fairly differently, i.e. before and after dividing by the number of players.

I am very fine with either system.
    In the second case, it is much less impactful, and so not much incentive to build around potential duplicates.

So I will be honest I did not consider season points when I made the rules.
    For those who do you may want to consider how to apply? This is basically a hyper-gimmick round a year since last season so maybe you want to skip it.

A penalty of only a single point seems almost irrelevant. Perhaps a penalty of an entire round point is too severe, but I think it'll do a good job of forcing diversity. It might feel a bit random when you get struck down, but the whole thing is just for fun anyway. What do others think of this?

Once you decide this, we're ready to start, right? And to confirm, your time zone is Chicago time, which is CST, Central Standard Time, UTC-6.

Quote Originally Posted by silkster View Post
    Once you decide this, we're ready to start, right? And to confirm, your time zone is Chicago time, which is CST, Central Standard Time, UTC-6.
    Yes

OK! Let's start round 1. Deadline is the 11th at 6am my time (chicago)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
    submit your lists here!

Is the penalty per overlap one match point (the same as you would win for a draw) or one round point?

Also, I assume that the ban list starts blank (except for Lab Man, Thassa's Oracle, and Jace WoM), but it's good to make sure.

Feb 2014

Is the penalty per overlap one match point (the same as you would win for a draw) or one round point?

Also, I assume that the ban list starts blank (except for Lab Man, Thassa's Oracle, and Jace WoM), but it's good to make sure.
    Question number 3, do we also get a penalty for basic lands, or ate they exempt?

Imagine a phantom player, who has tied with everyone else this round 0-0-1 except you who they beat 1-0, your score is going to be one point lower than everyone else
    Banned list is blank except as stated in the OP.
    Whatever is banned in legacy, plus thoracle, jace, and labman (etc)

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Question number 3, do we also get a penalty for basic lands, or ate they exempt?
    Exempted in big bold letters

Feb 2014

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Exempted in big bold letters
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Imagine a phantom player, who has tied with everyone else this round 0-0-1 except you who they beat 1-0, your score is going to be one point lower than everyone else
    Here I still don't get it:

24 points against 5 opponents, one overlap, so (24/5)-1 = 3.8 round points, if I understand correctly.
    So was Silkster score 3.8 as above, or (24-1)/5=4.6?
    That would lead to two very different decks (or hands) for me.

Btw, great idea to have the test round :)

Quote Originally Posted by dte View Post
    Thanks!

Here I still don't get it:

So was Silkster score 3.8 as above, or (24-1)/5=4.6?
    That would lead to two very different decks (or hands) for me.

Btw, great idea to have the test round :)
    24-1
    ________

REMINDER!
    You only have the weekend to submit your decks.
    I only have entries from Asthereal and dte
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link

Pro tip to FourDogs: don't put the entries for the next round on the score spreadsheet

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    Pro tip to FourDogs: don't put the entries for the next round on the score spreadsheet
    I think you found a bug in sheets because the entries are supposed to be tied to a spreadsheet only I can see that come directly from the form

It's almost tomorrow!
    And the thing about tomorrow is it's the deadline

I.... think I messed up here and got too clever. I switched last minute from City to tomb thinking City would be used first, and also wouldn't let me play the man land after t1. But the damage from tomb makes my deck unable to win games.
    Butttt two of you fell into my trap card!
    Asthreal: Unable to win through leyline. 0-0-2
    Dte: Unable to win through sphere, and I can pay the one before you can cast a spell. 0-0-2
    Wraith of Pie: You can turn my blocker into a swamp and sphere doesn't stop suspend. 0-2
    Silkster: Make the guy a 3/3 and I can't block 0-2.

0-4-4
    4 points. No dupes

Thread Information