Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 91

Thread: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror themes

  1. #1

    [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror themes

    Official Link: https://magic.wizards.com/en/product...gaAh5hEALw_wcB

    Old West/Outlaw themes, Releases April 19th.

    Previews start March 26th.

    There's a new Oko, doesn't turn anything into an Elk, a Sword of Protection from Instants and Sorcery's that makes treasures and double casts spells if you connect, multicolor split cards - Crime//Punishment returns, some new art for Thoughtseize, a bunch of mechanics around crime that link to MKM.

    EDIT: there are also Land - Deserts that produce multiple colors of mana, ETB tapped, and damage the opponent. Removing images because they're giant. Bunch of spoilers online already of cards if you want to look for them.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 03-16-2024 at 04:51 PM.

  2. #2

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    There's been some leaks too.
    There's also symbols with this set:
    OTJ, main set, symbol is a hat
    BIG, Oko's big score, symbol is a vault door. It was supposed to be an aftermath set afterwards but MAT did so bad they scraped it and just rolled the cards into the main set
    Breaking News, symbol is a jail door, is the bonus sheet and looks like news paper. All reprints.
    The final symbol is the commander

  3. #3
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,804

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    I'm surprised by Sword of Wealth and Power. Thought Hasbro was hoarding that for themselves.

  4. #4
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,496

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    I wonder how potent the "commit a crime" is going to be. Mech summary:

    Whenever you cast a spell or activate an ability that targets an opponent, or their stuff (spells, permanents, hand, library or graveyard) you are committing a crime.
    The new Sword is one of the more interesting ones. Makes your creature immune to many common removal, although the introduction of the pitch elementals and Leyline Binding make that less relevant.

    Magebane Lizard also looks interesting:

    Magebane Lizard
    Creature - Lizard
    Whenever a player casts a noncreature spell, ~ deals damage to that player equal to the number of noncreature spells they've cast this turn.
    1/4

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date

    Sep 2011
    Posts

    4,804

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I wonder how potent the "commit a crime" is going to be. Mech summary:
    So you can kill something/discard opponent/Bolt them and then +Oko. Seems good in non-Beans 4c piles, but awkward with Beans (doesn't trigger with Solitude or Leyline Binding or Fury).

  6. #6

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    As people keep saying:
    Edh has made interaction a crime

  7. #7
    Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Cire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Posts

    2,253

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Fblthp, Lost on the Range 1UU
    Legendary Creature - Homunculus
    Ward 2
    You may look at the top card of your library any time.
    The top card of your library has plot. The plot cost is equal to its mana cost.
    You may plot nonland cards from the top of your library.
    1/1

    How does this work with modal DFCs? Any chance of abuse?

    (i.e. can you cast this, then next round play worldly tutor for Valki and pay 1B to cast Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

  8. #8

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Fblthp, Lost on the Range 1UU
    Legendary Creature - Homunculus
    Ward 2
    You may look at the top card of your library any time.
    The top card of your library has plot. The plot cost is equal to its mana cost.
    You may plot nonland cards from the top of your library.
    1/1

    How does this work with modal DFCs? Any chance of abuse?

    (i.e. can you cast this, then next round play worldly tutor for Valki and pay 1B to cast Tibalt, Cosmic Impostor?)
    I think the whole DFC loophole was fixed with the cascade update, so it's probably the same answer here. (So no.)

  9. #9
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,736

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Yeah, without getting the official rules from the release documents there is no way to be sure. I suspect they will copy and paste the same language from other "cast-this-spell" wording that will reference the card you can cast is the one who's mana was paid for with the Plot mechanic. So if you paid 1B, you get Valki, God of Lies and no other options.

    But who know? Maybe they won't :D
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  10. #10
    Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Cire's Avatar
    Join Date

    Apr 2007
    Posts

    2,253

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Yeah, without getting the official rules from the release documents there is no way to be sure. I suspect they will copy and paste the same language from other "cast-this-spell" wording that will reference the card you can cast is the one who's mana was paid for with the Plot mechanic. So if you paid 1B, you get Valki, God of Lies and no other options.

    But who know? Maybe they won't :D
    TBH, I'm not sure that's even that broken of a play - but yeah, would be good to know if it works or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

  11. #11
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,496

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the



    Avarice seems kinda interesting. It can be a tutor, card draw, both or even a burn spell (which gets quite dumb with Bowmasters in play).

  12. #12
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,736

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Insatiable Avarice would have been good if Ad Nauseam hadn't been supplanted by Beseech into Gaea's Will. Hits only for 1 on flip but either option is live off Dark Ritual.
    Storm lists are already so narrowly tuned, not sure this can float to the top of what has already been printed.

    Saddle is like Crew, right? Saddle 1 is minimum power 1 but you can Saddle with an Atraxa if you wanted?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  13. #13

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Saddle is like Crew, right? Saddle 1 is minimum power 1 but you can Saddle with an Atraxa if you wanted?
    From what I understand, yes.



    Now we also know what a crime is which is something you will probably forget to track.



    This guy seems to have potential in the right shell.

    In general this set has lots of "alternate universe"/fan fiction kind of vibes.
    Could be a filler episode of One Piece or something.

  14. #14
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,736

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the



    So some notes:
    • Timing restrictions cover only your turns, if you cast Violent Outburst on your opponent's turn 1 and flip this, it's okay to cast.
    • Plot would let you cast a card with no mana cost like Crashing Footfalls or Ancestral Vision. Only rules are it is cast at Sorcery speed and not the turn you plotted.

    Could see a spot in some weirdo deck I think
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  15. #15

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

    So some notes:
    • Timing restrictions cover only your turns, if you cast Violent Outburst on your opponent's turn 1 and flip this, it's okay to cast.
    • Plot would let you cast a card with no mana cost like Crashing Footfalls or Ancestral Vision. Only rules are it is cast at Sorcery speed and not the turn you plotted.

    Could see a spot in some weirdo deck I think
    I think the plot mechanic and the no cost spells are going to break some shit in the fun way.

    Best spells to plot wiht this guy are Profane Tutor (demonic tutor) Ancestral Vision, Gaea's Will (yawgmoth's will) Glimpse of Tomorrow (warp world nonsense) Hypergenesis, Inevitable Betrayal (bribery), Living End, Lotus Bloom, Mox Tantalite, Restore Belief, Restore Balance, Sol Talisman, and Wheel of Fate

    You've basically got access to all the most broken cards in MTG history. Jace, Fblthp, and Collected Conjuring could pretty easily foundation some obscenely broken decks. I mean, just suspend a bunch of stuff then mind twist wtih a plotted balance and you've got a huge advantage

    Worth noting you can also just plot stuff like Counterspell and have a free one sitting there

  16. #16
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,496

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Considering how many characters from other planes show up, this set looks like a clusterfuck.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post


    This guy seems to have potential in the right shell.
    Retrace spells come into mind, for example.

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Worth noting you can also just plot stuff like Counterspell and have a free one sitting there
    Plot [cost] (You may pay [cost] and exile this card from your hand. Cast it as a sorcery on a later turn without paying its mana cost. Plot only as a sorcery.)
    I don't think sorcery-speed countermagic is doing any good.

  17. #17

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I think the plot mechanic and the no cost spells are going to break some shit in the fun way.

    Best spells to plot wiht this guy are Profane Tutor (demonic tutor) Ancestral Vision, Gaea's Will (yawgmoth's will) Glimpse of Tomorrow (warp world nonsense) Hypergenesis, Inevitable Betrayal (bribery), Living End, Lotus Bloom, Mox Tantalite, Restore Belief, Restore Balance, Sol Talisman, and Wheel of Fate

    You've basically got access to all the most broken cards in MTG history. Jace, Fblthp, and Collected Conjuring could pretty easily foundation some obscenely broken decks. I mean, just suspend a bunch of stuff then mind twist wtih a plotted balance and you've got a huge advantage

    Worth noting you can also just plot stuff like Counterspell and have a free one sitting there
    You can already cast them with As Foretold.
    Made a Modern deck with that and a bunch of Time Walk effects a few years ago which was janky but fun as hell.
    Suspend Greater Gargadon into Restore Balance is fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Retrace spells come into mind, for example.
    On the same note:
    Kellan + Raven's Crime into previously mentioned non-cost cards.

  18. #18
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,496

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoid View Post
    On the same note:
    Kellan + Raven's Crime into previously mentioned non-cost cards.
    Kellan can only cast permanent spells, so Raven's Crime would have limited use - Lotus Bloom would probably the best one out of the permanent ones. But since the lands come into play untapped, I guess you can ramp a whole bunch with Loam shenanigans for what it's worth.



    This hasn't been discussed yet, but this looks like a potential Saga target. Assuming you have the mana for it on later turns, you can activate Saga for the second token, fetch Boots, equip Boots, swing with both tokens. That can change the math quite a bit, depending on the situation.

    Edit:


    It can trigger from both Ornithopther and Ninjutsu cards. Ninjas has fallen out of favor, but still a cool card. Not on-color for Cheerios, sadly.

  19. #19
    A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    PirateKing's Avatar
    Join Date

    Nov 2011
    Location

    BEST JERSEY
    Posts

    1,736

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Unfortunately Satoru also triggers off Evoke'd Grief & Reanimate'd Grief, so no point in being cute when you could just do the thing that's already good, but now better.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

  20. #20
    Member
    Barook's Avatar
    Join Date

    Mar 2007
    Location

    Germany, Germering, Munich
    Posts

    7,496

    Re: [OTJ] Outlaws of Thunder Junction - because Hearthstone and Magic just mirror the

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Unfortunately Satoru also triggers off Evoke'd Grief & Reanimate'd Grief, so no point in being cute when you could just do the thing that's already good, but now better.
    Good point.

    What's worth pointing out is that Satoru also works very well with Norin the Wary. Each time Norin returns, you get a card. Throw both into a Vial Humans shell and you have a serious draw engine as early as T2. Norin also grows your Champions/Lieutenants and Vial'd in creatures further fuel Satoru. So there's some synergy going on even outside the combo.

    Edit: Satou also triggers from Narcos, Ichorids, Poxwalkers and Dread Return. Especially Narcos could keep a dredge chain going, which is kinda gross.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)