Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How Humility Works

Re: How Humility Works

Do creatures still have their creature type? EX i have a humility in play and then play engineered plague naming goblins or whatever

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Yes, they do.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Dr. Ocatagonapus
    Jul 2007
    Fort Edward, NY

Maybe I missed it in here somewhere, but what happens if my opponent has humility in play, then I play Magus of the Moon, or Painter's servant.
    This is probably stupid but i still haven't received a straight answer.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Julian23 View Post
    Afaik Magus of the Moon still works under a Humility.
    Know or know not; there is no "afaik". (Read: Only post an answer if you're certain, and back it up with rules.)

Magus's effect is a type-changing effect and applies in layer 4; Humility's effect is applied in layer 5. All effects are applied all at once in layer order globally, so Magus's effect will always be there even though the ability that created it gets removed later.

All creature abilities that apply in layer 5 (and that's most of them, since layer 5 is everything that's not copy, control, text, type, or power/toughness) are dependent on Humility's effect, so Humility will always remove them - but effects in earlier layers can sneak in.

Painter's Servant's effect is layer 5. The color choice is made "as Painter's Servant comes into play" which is before it's in play, so the choice will be made even if it doesn't do much with Humility in play.

(And ok, color characteristic defining abilities are the one layer 5 effect not affected by Humility, since CDAs always apply first in a layer - Kobolds are still red.)

418.5c. An effect is said to "depend on" another if (a) it's applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rule 418.5a); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

418.5d. An effect dependent on one or more other effects waits to apply until just after all of those effects have been applied. If multiple dependent effects would apply simultaneously in this way, they're applied in "timestamp order" relative to each other. If several dependent effects form a dependency loop, then this rule is ignored and the effects in the dependency loop are applied in timestamp order.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

May 2007
    Penn State

Why are Kobolds red under Humility if Painter's Servant's ability (same as Kobolds?) doesn't make everything the chosen color?

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Because the Kobolds' ability is a so-called characteristic-setting ability.

418.5a [...] Inside each layer from 1 through 5, apply effects from characteristic-setting abilities first, then all other effects in timestamp order.
    Both Kobolds and Humility (1st effect) are layer 5. Humility is always applied after the Kobolds' CSA. The result is that Kobolds are in play as 1/1 without any abilities (!), but they are still red (similar to the Magus of the Moon interaction).

Note that Painter works differently. In this case, his ability depends on Humility, and so it is removed by Humility.

418.5c An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rule 418.5a); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

Just to make it complete, here's the definition of CSA:

405.2. Some objects have intrinsic static abilities which state that the object “has” one or more characteristic values; “is” one or more particular types, supertypes, subtypes, or colors; or that one or more of its characteristics “is” or “are” a particular value. These abilities are characteristic-setting abilities.
    So Kobolds have a CSA which affects the Kobolds themselves. Painter's ability does not only affect itself, and so it's not a CSA. That's the differerence
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin View Post
    So Kobolds have a CSA which affects the Kobolds themselves. Painter's ability does not only affect itself, and so it's not a CSA. That's the differerence
    But then, tarmogoyf would be a x/x+1 under a humility?
    Because it has a CSA and it applies before humility, just like kobolds... (please tell me that the goyf is not even better... please... )

Quote Originally Posted by Zinch View Post
    But then, tarmogoyf would be a x/x+1 under a humility?
    Because it has a CSA and it applies before humility, just like kobolds... (please tell me that the goyf is not even better... please... )
    Tarmogoyf's CDA effect is layer 6a. Humility's P/T setting effect is layer 6b. Humility wins.

The Kobold/Humility part of that interaction is in earlier layers.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by Zinch View Post
    Because it has a CSA and it applies before humility,
    Like Anusien said, the CDA (= CSA !? ) thing only works inside each layer, not if the effects apply in different layers.

The basic recipe for all these layer actions is essentially logical.

a) You start with the objects themselves
    b) You order the effects layer by layer from 1 to 6a-e
    c) Inside each layer - starting with 1, of course - you first check for dependencies (which includes the question about CSAs)
    d) After that, you apply the remaining effects in timestamp order
    e) Then you move over to the next layer
    SENTENCED - 1993

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by TeKo View Post
    "As comes into play" effects still work, so you name a card!
    This was about Meddling mage. But if I play a Harmonic Sliver, does its come into play ability still blow up humility?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    This was about Meddling mage. But if I play a Harmonic Sliver, does its come into play ability still blow up humility?
    No.

Abilites worded "As this comes into play" or "this comes into play (tapped, with counters etc...)" still work under humility because they take effect before the creature actually hits play. Thse abilites modify how something comes into play.

Abilites such as harmonic sliver which are worded "when this comes into play" do not happen under humility since those don't trigger until after the creature hits play. These are triggered abilities that go onto the stack.

Apr 2008
    Paris, france

Stupid question:
    suppose I activate my mishra during the combat step of my opponent to block some dude.
    Then, during his second main phase, the same filthy opponent plays humility.

My mishra is no a 1/1 and this effect doesn't end at EOT, right? same for nantuko monastery and for all other animate land?

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Mishra becomes a 1/1 temporarily, and the effect still ends at the end of turn. The reason is that the activation includes a duration of the effect. And this is not affected by Humility at all.
    SENTENCED - 1993

Human Hunter
    Sep 2006
    California

This happened this weekend at a tournament. I just want to clarify.

Humility is in play.

I attack with my Eternal Witness, Grave-Sheel Scarab... etc... all 1/1s.

He (opponent) activates Phyrexian Totem, a 5/5 Phyrexian Negator, to block.

After the combat step, on my second main phase, I play Spitting Image on his Phyrexian Totem.

Do I keep my own Phyrexian Totem, having to activate it every turn for it to become a 5/5 Trample? Or does it become just another 1/1?
    You know that nightmare where your running but you just can't get away...

Hold on! I have a 12/12
    Mar 2007
    Germany

You get a non-animated Totem with the ability to be animated. Copy-Effects are in Layer 1 while both Humility and the Totem's activation are only applied in higher layers.

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Humility + Mishra's Factory + Elspeth's second ability. Does Mishra's Factory become a 5/5 unblockable?
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Some Random Guy Playing Random decks Getting Random Results
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Skeggi View Post
    Humility + Mishra's Factory + Elspeth's second ability. Does Mishra's Factory become a 5/5 unblockable?
    no mishra becomes a 5/5 flyer ;)
    Level 1 DCI Judge

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Quote Originally Posted by DeathScythe View Post
    no mishra becomes a 5/5 flyer ;)
    Yeah, and because all other creatures don't have flying, it will usually be unblockable. Thanks .
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Apr 2005
    LaLa Land

So I was reading through the whole thread, My God.... its confusing but I am starting to understand how it works.. basically anything like factory and totems work under a humility, considering you don't put down humility while your creature is animated...

So I understand that magus of the moon works with humility, I mean he'll end up doing the damage...which is making your non basics to mountains, and end up being a 1/1 creature....

So I am assuming that magus of the moat works the same way...
    He will do the damage meaning creatures without flying can't attack, but end up being a 1/1 creature.. Am I right to assume this?

Quote Originally Posted by f|i[p] View Post
    So I understand that magus of the moon works with humility, I mean he'll end up doing the damage...which is making your non basics to mountains, and end up being a 1/1 creature....

So I am assuming that magus of the moat works the same way...
    He will do the damage meaning creatures without flying can't attack, but end up being a 1/1 creature.. Am I right to assume this?
    The answer lies in layers: http://mtgsalvation.com/836-cranial-...perations.html

Humility applies in two layers; 5 for "all creatures lose all abilities", 6b for "all creatures are 1/1".

Any effect that applies in layers 1-4 gets around "all creatures lose all abilities". Those are (1) copy, (2) control, (3) text-changing, and (4) type-changing.

Magus of the Moon just barely sneaks under Humility's effect, in layer 4, while Magus of the Moat applies in layer 5 and has no such luck.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Thread Information