Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Announcement] Legacy back in the Portland area!!!!

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

[Announcement] Legacy back in the Portland area!!!!

Hey guys, most of you in the Portland area know me personally, so I'll go ahead and make this short. I've reopened a new store, complete with tables and chairs right off the bat to support 16 player tournaments. There's enough room in the shop to add in enough for 24 player tournaments, I want them packed EVERY weekend this summer.

For now, I'm going to plan the "Grand Opening" tournament. It will be next Saturday, the 22nd of July. Starts at 3pm (as will future events on Saturdays), and is currently unsanctioned.

Here's the info you guys all need:

The Mana Curve
    12400 SW Broadway St
    Beaverton OR 97005
    503-641-6050

(For those of you somewhat familiar with the Farmington/Canyon area, Broadway is the street that goes in between both of them around the Cedar Hills/Lombard cross-streets (I'm the corner of Broadway and Hall). Pretty easy to find, just look for Giovanni's Restaurant or Beaverton Bakery. For those of you over 21, find the Broadway Saloon, I'm like 5 doors down at the corner.)

For future reference:

Tourmaments will start at 3pm, and eventually I will have sanctioning. Entry fees will be $5, and for the first couple of weeks I'll use $4 of that towards prize structures (I gotta make a little cash in the first couple months to stay afloat, my poor bank account is dying). After that point, 100% of prize support will be paid out.

For those of you with tastes outside of Legacy, I will also be setting up FNM using Standard format as soon as Wizards gets me the paperwork (expect this done in the next 3 months or so, no kidding), and I am also looking forward to doing Proxy-legal Vintage tournaments during the week (probably early week, between Monday and Wednesdays, starting around 5-6).

Anything else, get ahold of me at rmj23@juno.com, and let me know if there's anything in particular you need to know about the location or tournament structures. I'll try my best to read this thread nightly, but don't have net at the shop till late next week. In the meantime, the storefront itself is open from 12-9pm Monday through Saturday, and 12-7pm Sundays, come on in and check it out! (I get so lonely...)

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Re: [Announcement] Legacy back in the Portland area!!!!

Awesome! I'll be coming by this weekend to check the place out, and I'm 99% sure I can make on July 22 for the Grand Opening tournament. I wish you much success with your new store.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Sweet! Its good to hear from you...I thought you had dropped off the planet.

I will start tomorrow trying to get a carfull of people to bring to the tournament. Myself, Noah, and some of our friends should be able to make it.

Godzilla, Bardo, Runesword, and friends should all go. Time to start the PM wave!

I will swing by this week or early next week to check your store out and try to spend some cash to help out. Nothing huge, but every little bit helps, right?

Man, it would be great to have regular tournaments here without having to go to Vancouver!
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

That's the point of the storefront. I could always make it online without the need for a storefront to get the boxes, but the storefront really, really needs to have tournaments, within a few months of closing my last shop nobody in this entire area was stable at tournaments, and nobody cared to host them.

My store will guarantee the ability to host tournaments at least 3 times a week, that way all the different players will be able to get their own little bit of time to knock some teeth in.

I'll be talking to a few friends in the area to see what weekday would be best to run the Vintage Proxy tournament, I'm thinking it'll still lean towards Monday nights, for any of you interested.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

I haven't played vintage in a bajillion years. How many proxies are you thinking?

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

More than likely it's gonna be a straight 13 proxies, giving access to full power and a deckset of something else. With a lot of the newer "powerhouse" decks of T1 using less and less power (like the new Team Meandeck creation of Ichorid abuse) this will actually give even more options to create decks for even the less power-hungry whores that plow through proxy tournaments (myself included....)

Also a note to those of you driving, the parking in that area of time is very limited, especially with a particular "festival" happening between 10-4 on the Saturday of the "Inaugural" tournament. My suggestion: get yourself familiar with the area, and find a parking spot near the Bed Bath & Beyond, or Ringo's bar, or somewhere within a block or two of the area. It will get pretty insane, as I've been told by some of my neighbors, so make sure you get to the area as close to 2pm as possible, so we don't have to worry about people running late for registration.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Sweet, I'll be there. :)

But friends from D.C. are visiting on the weekend of the 29th, so I won't be able to make the Legacy tourney at Alternate Universe at the end of the month--this will be the last chance this month for Frogboy to beat me rotten (at return my Eternal Witness).
    Last edited by Bardo; 07-17-2006 at 12:18 AM.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Will Coldsnap be allowed?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I hope so.

What are the hours on the store? I will probably drop by this week so I know where it is and to figure out parking because I am not familiar with the area.
    InfoNinjas

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

I can come, but I need a deck. Someone should help me out on that.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

If needed I personally can accomodate with a copy of Survival of some type, Iggy Pop, Solidarity (if Bret gives me back my Resets...../rant) Deadguy Ale, or one or two other known decks. Let me know ahead of time what you want to play, and I'll cook something up.

At this point, I really don't care how many decks I loan out, just as long as I have plenty of people showing up. Due to problems with a lazy ass owner of FMC, I now have a week and a half to come up with $1500 for my rent and bills for the shops FIRST month......pretty bad when our revenue was supposed to be 75%+ supported by internet alone in the first few months and we can't even rely on it.

Anyways, rant is done. For this tournament, I'm gonna say that Coldsnap is not allowed, mainly due to me not being as in depth with the set as I'd like, and not wanting to scour the net for latest rulings due to my lack of knowledge. But for the next week and weeks from then on, I'll allow it. It's not sanctioned, after all.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

My buddy who designed my webpage was kind enough to code in the map from Mapquest showing the exact location of the shop, in pretty good detail. Anyone familiar with the Canyon/Tv Highway and Farmington section of Beaverton will know this area, even if they haven't travelled it.

www.themanacurve.com

That'll also be our link page to the online storefront, so if you ever buy cards from online vendors, especially ones through FMC, keep that bookmarked. We'll be up and running by the end of the weekend.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I'll be there next Saturday, but in the future, can we do an earlier time of the day? 3 pm is too late--depending on how many rounds the tourney will go.

I propose 12 or 1 pm in the future, or do you have something scheduled earlier on Saturdays?

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Well, the store doesn't even open until noon, but in general I second Bardo's motion. 1pm would be ideal.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Typically a tournament running between 8-16 players would justify 5 rounds with a cut to top 4, so starting at 3pm would mean the finals would end more than likely by 10pm, which is just after I close. The problem I have with starting a tournament so soon after opening is it doesn't give a lot of time for people to show up and prepare, since the store doesn't open until noon as stated. I like to give at least an hour or so for most people to prepare for the tournament then 30 min to get everyone registered and another 15-30 to get everything situated and the pairings up. It just seems really rushed to me to only have an hour to get people cards they're missing, getting people who are already running late time to show up, etc...so I figured 3pm was a fair timeslot. I can push it back to 2pm next weekend, just to see how it'd go, but I'm thinking for the most part it shouldn't make much of a difference to the majority.

Edit: Also, of note. I'm going through a lot of my personal vintage/legacy stuff to sell at the shop a bit later than wanted, so if there's things people need to pick up by Saturday, PLEASE get ahold of me either on messenger, store phone, or contact email (both my webpage and previous posts here have them) by tomorrow night so I can make sure to set it all aside. I've got a 5k box that's got pretty much everything I played in the timeframe to pre-05' extended, legacy, and vintage all unsorted, so having to rush to complete any decks Saturday afternoon would be a pain.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO
    Typically a tournament running between 8-16 players would justify 5 rounds with a cut to top 4, so starting at 3pm would mean the finals would end more than likely by 10pm, which is just after I close.
    Getting done after 10pm really creeps into my time to have dirty sex with my wife and get drunk... But I'll see what I can do. Three hours for people to hang out and get their crap together is way too long.

Also, is your store air-conditioned? It's supposed to be a one hundred and five fucking degrees tomorrow.
    Last edited by Bardo; 07-21-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Idiot

Apr 2006
    Oregon

Holy shit, I don't think this store could be more conveniently located for me. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go tomorrow, but I'll definitely come in the future.
    Gandhi on SCG and MTGS.
    Team Rehab: Scrubbin' out since 2004.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

The store has a small air conditioner, and I will be buying extra floor fans to push the air current around so we at least don't have a stifling lack of airflow. Todays weather was showing 108 at it's highest (I know at least 106 was accurate) in our area of town, but the shop at it's warmest got in the mid 80's, probably just upper 70's. So it might get a bit warm (we only had 4 people in here, but all the lights were on), but it won't be anywhere near as bad as it is outside, at all.

@ Bardo: I understand the lacking of dirty sex and drinking to be a good ruiner of a Saturday night, which is why I will attempt a 2pm start next Saturday. Hopefully that will give enough time for people to show up, and also give a decent amount of time to setup the place. I'm also rediculously lazy when it comes to Saturdays, since that's when I normally used to sleep in, so I have to get used to the idea of being able to control multiple people basically right after waking up. Give it another month, I'm sure I'll get used to it again, I just haven't done it for the past 3 years, lol. I'm sure I'll be able to pull myself together for a 1pm start time, I just know I'm not the only lazyass in town that likes sleepin in on Saturday.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

New development: Can't make it, working. Contemplating arson. Sorry. Ought to be able to make it next week, but nothing's really for sure since my boss has no idea how to run a business.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Dude, if the schedule wasn't made a week in advance, I'd say ditch that shit. Tell him to find some other flake to pick up his slack. That's how real men handle the situation, lol.

Thread Information