Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Announcement] Legacy back in the Portland area!!!!

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Re: [Announcement] Legacy back in the Portland area!!!!

If you want people, you need real prize support--not a few bucks in store credit. That nickle-and-dime shit is fun and all, but if you want a player-base to get you through the lean times, you really need to develop a stable clientele.

Ryan - You've got a nice collection of goodies. If you want your place to survive you've got to put up the goods. Duals, Berserk, Legacy-playables. I say go for a big event, raise the entry fee and see how it goes.

If you can arrange something with sizable support, I personally guarantee I'll go to their homes and drag Zilla and Froggy to your store.

'Sorry for the unwanted advice--I'm kinda drunk.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

I like Bardo's idea; start advertising now for a tournament at the end of August or start of September that will draw a crowd. Advertise on www.northwestmagic.com; it's a message board for MTG players in the area.
    Last edited by frogboy; 08-09-2006 at 02:57 AM.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy
    I like Bardo's idea; start advertising now for a tournament at the end of August or start of September that will draw a crowd. Advertise on www.northwestmagic.com; it's a message board for MTG players in the area.
    Somebody fix that link. Stray semicolon.

Fixed---redtextboy
    Last edited by frogboy; 08-09-2006 at 02:57 AM.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Yeah, if you offer something big early September I will drag at least myself and one other person...maybe two or three. And if you advertise something like that with serious prize stuff, maybe some people from Batcave will show up too.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

My problem with the "real" prize support idea is all in seeing it never work out before. Both Ancient Wonders and Alternate Universe tried repeatedly to put up tournaments with money prizes, and neither of them saw more than 10 players. This was after my store did numerous attempts at it back in 02-03, right when Legacy was actually getting some real recognition in our area.

The Mana Drain/Berserk tournaments at AU had a maximum number of 5 players show, for an $80 first place prize. That's really, really bad. I know that with as many people as we have in the area that are typically available, I also know setting up tournaments like that weeks in advance to not see a tournament worth running is extremely discouraging.

At this point, the only way I would do something of this sort is if people paid me at least a week in advance, to make sure that everyone's serious about showing up and actually clear out the time on that Saturday. Otherwise, I'll set something smaller up in the meantime, but I'm much happier giving someone $20-30 in store credit for a 1st place finish in a 10-12 person tournament than tossing up a $50-75 card in hopes to get that many people who actually care about that particular prize. Batcave has seen regular attendance from Portland/Vancouver players for a couple years now on Friday nights, I can't see why with a better prize payout than theirs per person I can't do the same on a Saturday afternoon.

As for the players out here we know should be coming along that haven't for one reason or another (especially you, Frogger-bait, I know you've been bitching at me to host a once a month "money" tournament) I say put your money where your mouth is. You guarantee me a showing sometime in September (I'll leave exact date up to you guys to discuss over the next week, I want a final verdict by next Friday so I can post it on NWMagic, here, TMD, the storefront, Myspace, and anything else I can think of in the meantime), I'll get you $150-200+ support for finalists at a $15-20 entry fee. Lets consider it my "Back to School" tournament.

If you guys show me your serious about big-money monthly tournaments, I'll hook you up with some real prizes. Don't forget I've got an extra set of UL Power I've been sitting on, I'll be happy to dust them off if we start seeing some real Legacy and Vintage players coming back out of hiding.

Oct 2003

IIRC there were thirteen people for that Drain tournament; I know there were at least twelve, because me and Zilla ID'd in round four and there was a chance one of us would be paired with the other 3-0.

I'd suggest a $10 entry fee; higher costs are prohibitive towards attendance. Either a cash purse or something like a set of duals for first (something legacy players will probably use at some point in the future or cards easily converted into cash form) and you could just hand out second place/third/fourth based on attendance or something.

I leave for Seattle on the nineteenth of September. I would suggest the second or the sixteenth for a tournament. Guardian has it's $100 T2 tournament on the ninth, which probably wouldn't steal much attendance, but you might get a few more people on a different weekend.
    When in doubt, mumble.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I am almost positive I can make the 16th, as a last Huzzah! before I leave for school, and almost as positive I cannot make the 2nd. The 16th also gives you a little more then a month to advertise for the tournament. Seems strong.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

From what I was hearing from Don as well as some other that showed up earlier today, the 16th is probably the best bet. For now, I'll set this one up at a $10 entry, and I figure the first place payout will be $80 or so. I'll have the prize structure go up for each person past the 8 I'd requre for that, to the point where I can put up something good for top 4 if we see something like 16 people.

And as far as the Drain tourney went, Froggy, your forgetting the 4 times Darren tried getting it together without anyone showing, I was there for 2 of those instances personally. It's really hard to get people psyched when you've got a single card as the payout, especially when it something most people want a deckset of.

I'm thinking at this rate, first place would end up being something like a deckset of the "lesser" 5 duals (Bayou, Plateau, Scrubland, Savannah, Badlands), a deckset of Pithing Needles (as long as my stock doesn't deplete as quickly as it's going), or something in that value range, that I know off the top of my head at least a few decks would use. More than likely the Plateau or Scrublands would be the ones, that way I'd push more people into trying things like Rifter, DeadGuy, etc.....so we at least start getting more meta-adjusted decks showing up.

If attendance shows enough people are interested, I may even have to put up some blue based duals, or possibly start tossing in some random old school silver bullets.

I'm working on getting my NWMagic profile under the name TheManaCurve, so as soon as that goes through I'll start promoting it. Those of you that are actually "cool" enough for Myspace, hook up with my account (Deathwingzero), so I can get you guys some promotional bulletins/messages/spam/whatever to post for your buddies.

Nov 2005
    Battle Ground, WA

Scale prizes based on attendance. Post it and keep to it.

Hell I would pay $20 to play if I thought it was worth it and could... you know, drive.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

So what is the story with the big tournament next month? Turnout has been solid, and we even had Frogy show up last time. A big tournament could probably even get the lethargic Zilla to join us. Were we thinking the 16th of September?
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Yes. I've been busy lately working out actual financial issues (like having to order Time Spiral nearly a month in advance with little to no estimate as to how much we'll have the first week of October), and setting up our eBay store. Expect actual information by this weekend, posted on both this forum as well as NWMagic now that I have my account setup.

Looks like at this point, we've got $15 entry, minimum 8 ppl, with FoW deckset (NMx3, F+/VF-x1) as the 1st place prize, with second place and below scaled on attendance past the first 8 people. Same start time (this time 1:30 for sure for registration, no later than 2pm start time UNLESS I have at least 48 hours notice and a good reason to hold it up). Other than that, standard Legacy rules (Coldsnap legal, obviously), and deck registration required (just to make sure people aren't playing illegal cards, we've got some guys out here that aren't as wise in the area as we are).

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Anyone down for a small tourney at The Mana Curve (Beaverton) tomorrow (Sept 2)?

I think I can make it. 1:30 or so?

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

I'm really hoping people show up. I honestly passed up the opportunity to hit Galaxy Games for a Type 2 $20 entry for a Mox Sapphire in Ex+ condition. I woulda swept that had I had a little more time on my hands to prepare.

People better show up, or else I'm gonna be real upset I didn't attempt going to that tournament to put another $450 in my pocket.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I think I will be there, and Noah too. I think.
    InfoNinjas

Oct 2003

How do people not tell me about T2 tournaments for power within fifteen miles of Portland. Frowns at you all.

On another note, I'll be there tomorrow/today/whatever the fuck you want to call it.
    When in doubt, mumble.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

I'll do my best to be there at 1:30 today--but this will require skillful negotiating of some family stuff. But like I said, I'll try.

edit - I somehow missed Deathwing's post above. Damn hangover.

Anyway, I'll see what I can do about making it today.

I will be there on the 16th with at least 3 other people. I don't know many people form the area that are on the source besides Chris and Don. And I'm really sorry about your friend Don in his match with Randy last night. He's such a giant douche, speaking of the dusche he's one of the people I'm bringing along with Abe and Charles. I'm trying to get my brother and his other roommate to come too but it's doubtful.

Would you be able to post something semi-official of what the prize support will be for 2nd-on depending on the showing. Like if it's between 8-10 this will be the prizes... if it's between 10-12 this will be the prizes... and so on.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Ya, I'll definitely have the prize support amounts setup, it's all a matter of what I want to put in those slots that people would want to play with in future games.

And Froggie, I would have told you about the tournament, but I learned about it YESTERDAY. I was pretty upset by that, as I would have taken these last few weeks knowing about it to setup a deck and test, T2 for Power = sweeps.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

I'm going to be there this Saturday (Sep 30). Hopefully, we'll have enough of a turnout to actually put on a tournament. If not, I'd at least like to get some playtesting in. Btw, if you're inclined to grab a bite of lunch beforehand, I highly recommend the Thai place right next to the store. Holler!
    Last edited by Volt; 10-06-2006 at 06:43 PM.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Hey Chris, this "Money" Saturday is the 28th.

And for those of you that don't know, here's the lowdown:

Vintage Tournament
    13 proxy legal
    $15 entry
    1:00 registration/1:30 start time

Basically all the same info as before for the Legacy tournament posted last month. It'll be hosted here in Beaverton, at my store, The Mana Curve.

Tournament payout structure:

1st Place: Library of Alexandria (minimum 10 players)
    2nd Place:4x Force of Will @ 16 players (or $90 store credit)
    $15 store credit (11 players) up to $75 credit @ 15 players
    3rd Place: Beta Demonic Tutor @ 20 players (or $60 store credit)
    $15 store credit (17 players) up to $45 credit @ 19 players
    4th Place: Determined on attendance, don't forsee 20 players, but estimate payout to be around $50-60 range if we see it
    5th-8th:$15 each store credit if we reach 24 players or more

Thread Information