Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: BACK ON! LOCATION CHANGE! - Kadilak's Dual Land Draft II 8/5/06

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Re: BACK ON! LOCATION CHANGE! - Kadilak's Dual Land Draft II 8/5/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man
    I don't feel the need to sit here and justify myself, but round 2 I honestly thought my opponent was being a nice guy. He won game 1 and when game 2 was into extra turns I cast Haunting Echoes to remove every threat he had left. He began to pick up his cards and said, "Okay, we draw." I said "Thanks" and he said "Sure." I was genuinely thanking him for giving me the draw, when I knew he could just take the win. The judge heard us and walked away. Later, Kadi called me up because the kid told the judge he had actually won the round. Kadi asked me how it had gone, and I confirmed that he had won game 1 and we had gone to time in game 2, and I had been under the impression that he was conceeding game 2 because he knew he could not win. I said I thought he was just being a good sport, and the judge said to let it ride because he didn't know how to change it anyway. I felt bad about the kid drawing when he didn't have that intention, but my plan wasn't to screw him out of his win.
    Wow dude, I was sitting right next to Kadi when this all went down. Eli had no clue about that shit, he obviously did not hear you. Secondly, it was pretty obvious he was calling the game a draw, not the match.
    Flame deleted. Trevor calm down.
    Last edited by Jander78; 08-07-2006 at 01:02 AM.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

Quote Originally Posted by Jander78
    sigh.......Not again Mike.....not again. Don't quit.
    I'm not quitting Rick...but I am going to highly re-evaluate my deck creation/choices from here on out. I guess this tournament finally taught me that you just can't compete with the highest quality decks/players in the format without having one/being one yourself. I'd like to think I'm a high-calibur player...but the truth is...I just play shitty decks and it finally caught up to me. Now, I know.

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by A Legend
    I'm not quitting Rick...but I am going to highly re-evaluate my deck creation/choices from here on out. I guess this tournament finally taught me that you just can't compete with the highest quality decks/players in the format without having one/being one yourself. I'd like to think I'm a high-calibur player...but the truth is...I just play shitty decks and it finally caught up to me. Now, I know.
    Ok....whew. That, I can respect. You had me scarred for a second. Well, cheers to new beginings. If you need help tuning a shitty deck, run it by me. I'm the master at making shitty decks somehow work. Seriously.....look at this tournament. ;)

This thread is on the being heavily watched. Do not post flames or personal offenses. If you feel a situation needs to be discussed, handle it like adults and not like internet namecalling douchebags. (and yes I did just lower myself to an internet namecalling douchebags to call "internet namecalling douchebags", internet namecalling douchebags.)
    Last edited by Jander78; 08-07-2006 at 01:07 AM.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Ok, so I'm home now, but I'm not really up for a decent tournament report. But I'd like to get to Props and Slops before I forgot the stuff I want to mention.

Props:
    Kadilak for both pulling this tournament together at the last moment and ofcourse letting the VA crew stay at his place.
    Me for organizing the VA crew (God can we ever plan anything!).
    Krieger for having good taste in music.
    Everyone for making to the tournament despite the bad press.
    Micheal Bomholt for making the most fun deck of Legacy (Yeah I'm talking about Iggy Pop).
    Ewokslayer and Mad Zur for making Top8, way to go VA crew.
    Me for being awesome at SF2.

Slops:
    Calosso.
    IBA for yet another control deck.
    Mike Herbig for during game 2 I try to go off with Iggy Pop where Force of Will will beat me but instead plays Disrupt (for no reason) then I ask him if he drew the Force and he says "No, I already had it in hand." Who is this guy? From now on this will be referred to as "pulling a herbig". By the way Herbig at least I don't have to Disrupt my own spells to go off!
    ObFreely for debating the Gro sideboard till the end of time.
    Me for not playing Red Death (Was everyone playing Solidarity?)
    For the guy who played Red Death without making Top8. Are we even sure this was a real Red Death list? I mean the deck just makes Top8 that's it.
    Anyone who played Deadguy Ale. If you don't know that deck is bad. I am telling you now. Play Red Death.
    Oh my I almost forgot. Petter Rotten for being the most hyped SF2 player I have ever heard about. I mean he lost to my Dhalsim and pretty much anything I did. I think I had the tally at 10 wins for me and 2 losses. Does that sound right PR? At least I was hoping that you would be decent.
    Last edited by AnwarA101; 08-07-2006 at 02:36 AM.

May 2005

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101
    Mike Herbig for during game 2 I try to go off with Iggy Pop where Force of Will will beat me but instead plays Disrupt (for no reason) then I ask him if he drew the Force and he says "No, I already had it in hand." Who is this guy?
    To be fair, I did mulligan into it first game. I'm pretty impressed with the deck being so consistent though. Once Reset gets banned maybe I'll give her a whirl.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by herbig
    To be fair, I did mulligan into it first game. I'm pretty impressed with the deck being so consistent though. Once Reset gets banned maybe I'll give her a whirl.
    Don't worry Mike keep playing Solidarity - Red Death will come your way. You'll know what it feels like to be disrupted!

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

God, shut the fuck up and die.

I'd like some commentary from whoever sat down next to the match in question, but my impression from playing the Nick the previous round was that he was kind of an asshole. He didn't say anything specifically, but his general attitude seemed very arrogant and condescending while he was peeling a few very, very lucky wins, like triple Cranial Plating in his first dozen cards while I'm mana screwed off of Wrath.

Tournament Report:

Round 1: Calosso with Vial Goblins

Not a matchup I want to play, but at least it's Calosso and there's no Ports. Game 1 he gets a slow hand and I lock up the board. Game 2 he wins a 1-wasteland hand with Vial into Lackey and nuking one land to keep me off Wrath mana for long enough. I draw an StP the turn after Lackey drops SCG, too. Game 3 is less eventful, but I keep his guys down, nuke his hand with Hymn, and win with Hiearchs.

1-0

Round 2: Brian Diefendorf with Solidarity

Frowny face. Fucking terrible matchups. Game 1 I might even have won, drawing mostly highly relevant cards, except I can't find black mana til turn 3, and by then it's a little late. Game 2 I steal with Therapy-Witness-Duress savageness. Game 3 I mana to nuke a lot of his hand, but triple Meditate and a need to sac my only real pressure in Hierarch to a critical Therapy allows him to pull it out.

Round 3: David Price, playing RGB Survival Advantage.

Games 1-2 I get rolled by heavy discard, Burning Wish, and Survival generated hasty creature advantage beats. I'm never able to keep the board controlled for long enough to set up a real defense. Also, what the Hell's with all the Frog players?

Round 4: White_Ghost playing Gro

So I finally get a positive matchup. Not that it matters, but it's fun at least. He gets me down to 7-8 once or twice, going for a burn plan, but the dck makes a terrible counter-burn, and Hierarch makes game 2 completely unfair.

Round 5: The Nick

This is the loss that actually pissed me off the most. Mainly because it's basically a very favorable matchup that I just got creamed in through some absolutely nutty draws and mana screw. I did make some major mistakes sideboarding game 2, bringing in too much fat and bringing out Duresses which would probably have been a lot more useful, but it's not all that relevant as I still get a pretty decent draw that should work but just wasn't fast enough, and I once again lose to not drawing the 4th land.

Like I said, Nick didn't say anything, but I got the impresison that he basically thought his deck was the shit and mine was just shit. I could be wrong, but he gave off that kind of attitude to me. I was also already pissed at the time to be fair.

Round 6: Person I can't remember playing Vial Goblins (Smart)

Totally can't remember his name. Pretty good guy. We're just fucking around at this point. Game 1 I get rolled, game 2 I pull my plan together perfectly. Someone says something about prizes for top 16 and I promptly lose. Oh well. Wouldn't have made it anyway, but it was symbolic.

2-4. Ouch.

Overall, an extremely pleasant experience. Possibly the best run Legacy tournament I've been to, including the GP. Only problem was the short-staffed Judging. The location was infinitely nicer than anything I've seen in Syracuse before. It being warm rather than abysmally cold helps with that. Scott Taylor and I spent a large part of the day altering cards. Scott, Lego and I grabbed bagels after walking across most of Baldwinsville looking for the Subway. On the brief list of things I did win, a pack of Coldsnap for being the first to be able to name four lands from Arabian Nights (Elephant Graveyard, Diamond Valley, City of Brass and Library of Alexandria. It would've been supreme tech if I had remembered enough to continue listing Oasis, Desert, Bazaar of Baghdad, Island of Wak-Wak and Mountain. I got to soothe my ego by smashing Phil 2-0 in a fun game against his 3c Angel Stompy after letting him draw a bunch of extra cards and tutor for Armageddon, and then we retired for Hooters wings followed by staying up til 3 with beer and GTA: San Andreas. So good times.

Props:
    Alix for driving
    Kadi for hosting us and the tourny
    Eli for buying stuff at sane prices and not being SCG. Also judging.
    Jander for winning-ish.
    Herbig for inventing Solidarity.
    Jesse H. and Diefendorf for top 8'ing.
    Scott and I for badass Helldozers.

Slops:
    Matt for being a *** and not coming.
    Ian for being a *** and not coming.
    Scott S. for being a *** and not coming.
    Allan, for not coming.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Oh my I almost forgot. Petter Rotten for being the most hyped SF2 player I have ever heard about. I mean he lost to my Dhalsim and pretty much anything I did. I think I had the tally at 10 wins for me and 2 losses. Does that sound right PR? At least I was hoping that you would be decent.
    Bah. Anwar clearly cheats at SFII. First, it's been obvious that he has been practicing. He was still able to do all the "power-moves" on command. What a cheater. Next, to beat me, he had to resort to having some hired cronies distract me by putting a sheet of paper in front of my character - essentially blocking my view and causing me to lose many matches that would have otherwise been blow outs (in my favor).

My only regret is that Burning Tog did not get to stomp on his IggyPop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Asshole

Jan 2004
    Chickenango

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin
    God, shut the fuck up and die.

... his general attitude seemed very arrogant and condescending ...
    Wow, I've never met anyone like that before. Especially not a magic player, nor any Virginian....

There's a big difference between arrogance + condescention, and plain poor sportsmanship. That's like confidence (yourself) compaired to sore loser (L.A.M.).
    Survival will be good forever... kinda like a maraschino cherry.

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

Quote Originally Posted by herbig
    The Herbig Project triumphs!
    So, the "Herbig Project" was a plan to bring Solidarity? Wow, I didn't see that coming!

I wish I had played against the "Herbig Project," but I choked in the first match, and never saw any Storm all day. On the other hand, how much fun did I have playing Void, and how dense was I to replace Terminates with Consume Spirits? Also, people, Dystopia will show up post-board. Get used to it!

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro
    So, the "Herbig Project" was a plan to bring Solidarity? Wow, I didn't see that coming!

I wish I had played against the "Herbig Project," but I choked in the first match, and never saw any Storm all day. On the other hand, how much fun did I have playing Void, and how dense was I to replace Terminates with Consume Spirits? Also, people, Dystopia will show up post-board. Get used to it!
    The Herbig Project was a joke that people NOT on our team started. We said we had new tech. This tech was 4 color Gro. You all replied "your new tech is Herbig joining your team." We then named the gro decks "The Herbig Project" to mock this. Best part is, both the decks we built, as well as Herbig, made the T16. It was a good day for the team, even if I did have to basically knock Bryant out of T8 contention round 1.

Props:

Kadi for holding the tournament, finding a new place to hold it and have the VA crew at his house.
    Mr. Kadaliac for the breakfast and lodging us/putting up with us.
    Most of my opponents for being cool.
    Anwar for the ride and discussions and music.
    Jesse H. for making top 8.
    Brian D. for making top 8.
    All who participated in Jacks “mark of the beast” symbol!
    All the Gro players who tap out for Mystic Enforcer
    NoobSlayer for being cool
    wastedlife for having Team Unicorn sign his Pearl Unicorn.
    Alix for the drinks and Fun with GTA
    The cool location for the tournament
    Dave Price for being the King of Beatdown!

Slops:

Team Unicorn for not representing by 1) not showing up, 2) playing Truffle Shuffle, and 3) not representing in the top 8. (Punishment will follow)!
    Colosso
    Me for sucking at the mirror match
    Dave Price for not playing Deadguy Red
    All the Deadguy Ale Players for not playing decks that are better

Time Lord
    Apr 2005
    Syracuse NY

For the guy who played Red Death without making Top8. Are we even sure this was a real Red Death list? I mean the deck just makes Top8 that's it.
    I'm guessing this might refer to me, but I was definitely not playing Red Death. Even if I was going to play it, I was missing at least 1 Sink, 3 Shades, and 4 Negators, which would not have been a good start.

What I did end up playing was a deck I threw together the night before (thanks to the temporary cancellation), and it performed adequately, considering I went 3-3 with it. Actually, the deck performed better than I did, since I should have beaten the eventual top 2 Blue Skies player in the first round, but I made a stupid play mistake (more than one actually), and my opponent didn't make any mistakes I could capitalize on.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Drathro
    I'm guessing this might refer to me, but I was definitely not playing Red Death. Even if I was going to play it, I was missing at least 1 Sink, 3 Shades, and 4 Negators, which would not have been a good start.

What I did end up playing was a deck I threw together the night before (thanks to the temporary cancellation), and it performed adequately, considering I went 3-3 with it. Actually, the deck performed better than I did, since I should have beaten the eventual top 2 Blue Skies player in the first round, but I made a stupid play mistake (more than one actually), and my opponent didn't make any mistakes I could capitalize on.
    You definitely didn't play Red Death. You weren't playing Negator? I think he's one of the defining cards of the deck. You only had 1 Sinkhole. Yeah this doesn't look like Red Death. Is it okay if Kadilak changes this to B/R aggro? Were you playing the burn?

V V SEXY! V V
    Feb 2004
    NOVA!

Here is my tournament report; I think it was especially interesting in my last match.

So Friday afternoon comes and I leave work early, either due to a misspeak or a mishear I expect Anwar at 2pm when he should actually be there around 3. So around three I am getting worried and around 4 I give up hope and don’t think he is going to come. I didn’t feel like driving up by myself because that would be boring, plus no one to split the gas with. So around 4 I go to my room and watch TV. At 5 Anwar shows up and after banging on my door for 10 minutes lets himself in; I didn’t hear him cause of the TV and I wasn’t expecting him anymore. Well we were planning on me, Anwar, Jesse Krieger, and David Gearhart to be in the car, but to my surprise Calosso is there. Putting 5 people in a small car for 7 hours with one of them being Calosso seemed less than good, so I offer to drive. I get the privilege (sarcasm) of riding up and back with just me and Calosso (also only two people in the car sucked for gas efficiency; it cost us $40 each). We get in around 1, and stayed at Kadilak’s house. But now after that intro let’s get to the tournament.

I play RGBSA my list is here: http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckd...n&DeckID=18000

Round 1-RGBU Thresh
    Game 1: I resolve a second turn survival, but somehow still don’t win. I was fairly mana light and he ran lots of burn keeping me off of mana. I manage to stabilize at one and was going to do double Baloth next turn. He had no hand and top decked a lightning bolt.
    Game 2: Again second turn survival his build was unfamiliar to me and does some things I don’t expect, like engineered explosives. In retrospect I could have easily made some different play choices here to win the game. But hindsight is 20/20. I end up losing my survival, and with his removal for mana critters made me not able to get a genesis when I had it out. But I did loaming shaman him. He removes the loaming shaman. I top deck over the next like 15 turns, a combination of lands, birds of paradise, cabal therapies and duress, and lose from the high teens to a 1/1 mongoose for like 15 turns.
    0-1

Round 2-Beserk affinity
    Game 1: He gets some good stuff, ravager and disciple, something to modular onto. My hand was rather sub par but I still pull out a win, SotF is just that good. Seeds of innocence in the board would have been an enormous bomb for me, but I didn’t have rrom for it but also didn’t need it since I won 2/0.
    Game 2:I start with a duress I think. He has a sub par hand of like 2 workers, 2 aether vials, and some land. I crush him.
    1-1

Round 3-Truffle Shuffle (Jack Elgin, IBA)
    Game 1:Let’s just say this is not a very good match for him. He has few outs to survival and I draw well and he doesn’t get the nutz.
    Game 2:See game one
    2-1

Round 4-I don’t know what this is; it looks kind of like this but not exactly: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...hyrexian+arena
    Game 1: Black based control decks like this are just really good match ups, I win.
    Game 2: See game one
    3-1

Round 5-Same deck as last round, only a slightly better version of it.
    Game 1: He has the perfect answer to everything I do and keeps me very low on mana.
    Game 2: He answers everything I do and puts me on one mana with no cards in hand. We both top deck some land and I pull out of it.
    Game 3: I get mana, survival, I think, I just crush.
    4-1

At this point there is only 1 round left and I figure I can just draw in at 4/1/1. Standings go up and I am in 9th place unfortunately. I see tables 1-3 draw. Now if I draw all 6 of those people will either have more points than me or the same number of points with better tie breakers. So that leaves only two possible spots for me. At table 5 is Anwar vs. Herbig. The winner of that match will have more points than me if I tie. If their match draws, then Anwar beats me in on tie breakers. So that leaves only one possible spot for me. My opponent who is also 4/1 but has better tie breakers than me. If we draw then he beats me in and I get 9th place. So sadly for me I am forced to play it out. And need a 5/1 record to make it in.

Round 6- UGW Thresh
    Game 1: Neither of us knows what the other is playing. I start by mulling to 5. He starts by laying two mongooses, then proceeds to counter every spell I play before I die. Card advantage is really important in this match and the mull killed me.

Game 2: He gets stuck on one land. I go turn two mesmeric fiend with a mana open. He has FoW. He again misses land, I go survival, FoW is his only out. He has FoW. He misses land again. I play Survival, FoW is his only out, and lo and behold, FoW number 3. He misses land again. I go witness with 4 mana on the board bringing survival back to my hand. He rips the land and lays meddling mage on survival. A few turns later I get B.Wish and wish for anarchy with 5 mana on the board. Next turn I play anarchy and he has the counterspell. Next turn I play FTK, it hits and mage dies. Next turn I play survival, it hits, I have mana open and a creature in hand and he can’t stop me. Again card advantage is really good and the loss of it for him due to triple FoW was amazing.

Game 3: He gets a mage on survival, a mage on B.Wish and a needle. I tin street the needle and FtK the survival mage. Doesn’t matter cause I never see a survival the whole game. I had ripped his hand apart with therapy. I had edict in hand from B.Wish (his other mage dies at some point), he had no cards in hand and another needle on board and no creatures, I got 5 power out. I say go. Time gets called. We get a judge ruling and his turn is turn 1. He didn’t have any permanents to untap and hadn’t drawn a card yet. He rips a swords and kills my ftk on his turn (the only card that could draw the game for him and he needed it that turn). I play a second FTK hitting my birds of paradise. On my turn (turn 4) I get him down to one life and I can put out a total of 4 creatures with power 1 or greater. Also my hand is gas with edict. He had absolutely no out, but I was one damage short of killing him. If only time had been called like 1 second later. Time could also have been called like 1 second earlier. Had I known that time was gona be called right then I could have FtKed my own bird, or wintessed back junk to get a little more damage on the board. But no, time had to be called in the brief period after I said go when it was too late to play beats, and before his turn. I won that match, but he got the draw on a technicality. So he makes it into top 8 and I get 9th place.

4/1/1 - The only 4/1/1 who doesn't make it in.

I can deal losing to good players, even bad players, I can deal losing to good and bad decks. I can even deal with losing cause my own deck crapped out on me. But one thing I HATE losing to is to time when I had the match guaranteed. And not only did I lose to time, but an incredibly small amount of time. ONE SECOND, if I just had like one second more I would have been in top 8, but no, I couldn’t get the last turn and I could only get him down to 1 life. God I really hate losing to time, especially when my deck can put out a very reasonable clock.

Props:
    That hotel, it was nice and totally worth an extra 5 dollars.
    Kadilak for putting us Virginians up and running a good tournament.
    Kadilak's dad for getting us breakfast.
    Props other people gave, I agree and will not re-list them all.

Slops:
    The clock. God damn you clock, why couldn’t you have been like 1 second slower, or even 1 second faster.
    Scott Taylor. Trying to give the 9th place person 40 copies of the Mask on VHS. No one wants that and you know it, stop trying to give others your trash.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    I can deal losing to good players, even bad players, I can deal losing to good and bad decks. I can even deal with losing cause my own deck crapped out on me. But one thing I HATE losing to is to time when I had the match guaranteed. And not only did I lose to time, but an incredibly small amount of time. ONE SECOND, if I just had like one second more I would have been in top 8, but no, I couldn’t get the last turn and I could only get him down to 1 life. God I really hate losing to time, especially when my deck can put out a very reasonable clock.

That's heartbreaking...I almost feel the pain.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    Bah. Anwar clearly cheats at SFII. First, it's been obvious that he has been practicing. He was still able to do all the "power-moves" on command. What a cheater. Next, to beat me, he had to resort to having some hired cronies distract me by putting a sheet of paper in front of my character - essentially blocking my view and causing me to lose many matches that would have otherwise been blow outs (in my favor).

My only regret is that Burning Tog did not get to stomp on his IggyPop.
    Cheating? What you mistake for practice is something called skill. I know it might be a foreign concept to you but people can actually play this game without having to practice for months on end. I did my practice about 10 years ago when the game was big. All I have left now is skill.

My only regret is that I lost twice to a player with almost no skill.

Small Eyed Unicorn
    Mar 2006
    RoChEsTa

My only regret is that I lost twice to a player with almost no skill.

Ohhh snap!!! It is getting cold in here!!!!
    Team Unicorn- "I'm Horny."

"The Wandering One" of Legacy.

"Glimmervoid, Go."

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Krieger
    NoobSlayer for being cool
    Sweet, I'm cool.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Here is my tournament report; I think it was especially interesting in my last match. (etc.)
    Is Thresh always this close for you? If so, is there a reason you're not running Perish as a Wish target?

Thread Information