Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of Will

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

[Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of Will

So in our "Legacy in the Portland area returns" thread, there was discussion about hosting "big-money" tournaments, on the average of once a month. I've decided this is worth testing out, as I've got a decent amount of "good" prize support for Legacy as well as Vintage.

The Monthly Money tournaments will be rotating Legacy and Vintage(?) tournaments, once each month, for "big" payouts ($100+ First place, remaining prizes based on attendees). This month, for our inaugural tourmanet, it's 4x Force of Will. Here's the lowdown:

The Mana Curve's "Monthly Money" Tournament #1 9/16/06 (Saturday)
    Entry Fee: $15
    Time: 1:30 start time, 12:30 Registration starts
    Minimum Participants:8
    Maximum: Whatever we get
    Rounds: Minimum 4 rounds swiss, cut to either top 8 or top 4, depending on attendance.
    Standard rules enforcement: Legacy legal, no proxies, 60 card deck, 15 card sideboard. Deck registration not required, but appreciated (I would like to start getting a running note of how the NW metagame looks)

Prizes:
    1st Place: 4x Force of Will (No less than VF/NM- condition)
    2nd Place (requires minimum 12 players: 4x Pithing Needles (NM condition)
    3rd-4th Place (requires minimum 16 players): $30 Store Credit each.
    5-8th Place (requires minimum 20 players...probably not gonna happen):$15 credit each.

The Mana Curve
    12400 SW Broadway St
    Beaverton OR 97005
    (In between Farmington Rd and Canyon Blvd, right near Giovannis Restaurant and Beaverton Bakery)

Directions: Easiest way to get here is either Max line (we're 2 blocks south of the Beaverton Central stop for red/blue lines), Trimet bus, or taking the 217 to the Canyon/Farmington HWY 8/HWY 10 Exit, then going westbound to Hall Blvd (one way north intersecting Farmington) or Watson (one way south intersecting Canyon). Broadway is the small street in between those two main roads.

Parking: A bit of a problem, as most of "downtown" Beaverton is very tight. Either the Bed, Bath & Beyond just down the street at Lombard, the old Wells Fargo building lot (though there is warning of towing, park at your own risk), a strip of parking spots near Ringo's Tavern, or the parking lot at Beaverton Town Square, in front of Hooters (also off Lombard). It is honestly much easier to find a Trimet bus or Max out to this area, and walk. If you need reference points, Google map our location, and look around from that point, you'll be able to make out the parking lots easier.

Any questions, give us a call at the store (503)-641-6050, PM me on here, contact me via AIM/Trillian at DeathwingZERO2k, or email me at rmj23@juno.com

PS- I can't get my account on Northwest Magic to work, if someone can cut and paste this bulletin there, or TMD, that would be greatly appreciated!! We need as much word out as possible to get this going. Also, sorry for the short notice, over the last few weeks I've almost had to postpone this one, but I know a lot of people will be going back to college, so I'd rather have short notice than no tournament for those guys at all!

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Re: [Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of W

Unfortunately, the demands of adult life have caught up with me and I'll be out of town for a wedding on this weekend. :Major fucking frowns:

Have fun all.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Re: [Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of W

So I have noticed that there has been a number of people on NWMagic talking about how Force of Wills aren't a good first place prize, and that they are not averaging more than $15 each.

Since I cannot post on NWMagic until I am able to get confirmation from the admin why I'm unable to login correctly, I'm going to post here, and anyone who would like to cut and paste to that thread on NWMagic's event listing for the tournament the following:

Force of Will is NOT a $15 card. All trends recently (Ebay on the higher end, FMC, any stores in the Portland/Salem and even as far down as Eugene and north as Seattle) are showing the card is $20-35. I am a vendor on FMC, the lowest a NM FoW is going for is $22, and upwards of $36.

To ANY players wishing to contest the average price of these cards, I will gladly BUY in cash ANY NUMBER of Force of Wills at $15-$17.50 each in NM condition. I've had numerous decksets go out in the last year @ $100 each.

Remember, there is no reason any storefront would consider peer-to-peer sales like Magic Online Trading League, Ebay, or anything else as an actual price guide. I personally know of 4 different online vendors in the area that BUY based on Ebay prices.

If the price seems too high for a payout system that is 100% funded back at the prize structure, don't worry about showing up. This is for the players that want better cards for their decks, not collectors out to make a couple bucks quick. But if you do have problems, at least back it up with factual prices, not something you got off some guy trading on MoTL, or some random seller on ebay with 10 or less ratings.

For those of you interested at why I came to the conclusion of the prices, here's the structure:

4x Force of Will= $100-120 @ $25-30 each
    4x Pithing Needle = $60 @ $15 each ($4 each less than what I SELL them for)
    3rd place = $30 store credit
    4th place = $30 store credit
    5-8th = $15 store credit

Simple math shows that if 20 people show up, it's $300. Add these numbers up, you'll see what I'm "making" off of this.

Thanks!
    Ryan from TheManaCurve.com

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I will be there for sure, and I think at least one of my friends will be there. I also heard 3 or 4 guys from Batcave saying they were going to be here-too good of an offer to refuse. I will find out tomorrow night from them.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

So at this point, we've got a couple guys confirmed, a shitload of people on "Maybe", 1 out for good (sorry to hear bout it Bardo, this one was for you, lol), and 1 "probably out" (next time anyone sees Patrick, find a way to curbstomp his balls for me).

Seems threateningly low for a week left until tourney.....I may have to start showing up at peoples doors this week.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    So at this point, we've got a couple guys confirmed, a shitload of people on "Maybe", 1 out for good (sorry to hear bout it Bardo, this one was for you, lol), and 1 "probably out" (next time anyone sees Patrick, find a way to curbstomp his balls for me).

Seems threateningly low for a week left until tourney.....I may have to start showing up at peoples doors this week.

I'm coming for sure, but you probably already knew that. Don and I will talk it up some more at the Bat Cave tonight.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Ya, I figured you'd show. So here's a bit of a list to work with, and who we need to basically nuke if they don't show:
    Godzilla (Patrick)- most likely a no show/hopefully will be too busy getting molested by rabid wombats or something...., Volt (Chris)- already attending, AngryTroll (Don)- already attending, LinkXWing (Brett)- should be attending, Frogboy (Max)- should be attending, Noah- already attending, James- dunno, "Other" James- probably not, $15 is a little high for him...he still owes Chris $5, Greg- maybe, Joe Brosher- maybe...............I think that's all I can think of from this area.

Do we really have so few people from Or/Wa here on The Source?

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I do not know the guy's source name...he is a competent player, plays <edited, but good decks> at Batcave. He said he would be here.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

I know Chris Barnes(?, can't remember if that's his last name), plays both Legacy and Vintage at Batcave and sometimes down here in Portland, he'll probably show if he's at Batcave tomorrow night.

If you wanted to get that flier going, Don, basically just take the info I posted here and put it in centered alignment, and the directions and such at the bottom. You should be able to fit it all on a standard 8.5x11" if you use regular sized font. I'll do the same and drop some off at Ancient Wonders and Alternate Universe, I'm sure neither Darrin/Chris or George really mind helping me out with it.

Feb 2004
    Beaverton, oregon

Re: [Announcement]The Mana Curve's 1st "Monthly Money" Tournament 9/16: 4x Force Of Will

I'd say I'm about 70% sure I'll be there. I don't have my son that weekend so that just leaves the girlfriend and I think she's working that saturday. Now I just have to find something to play and maybe test a little but time for that seems fairly unlikely.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

To give a pretty honest idea of what the turnout will probably include, here's what we typically see at the "weekly" tournies:

RGSA
    Deadguy Ale
    IGGY Pop
    Solidarity
    U/G/w Thresh/NQG
    Rifter
    Recycle Elf/Depths Combo (rare occasions)
    Ape Sligh
    Vial Goblins

And lots of other things in between. Honestly, for how few times the Portland guys get together, we take our decks seriously. LMF or at least dedicated decks (with the exception of Elves, and a few other things). Figure your playtesting Gauntlet to be a typical one for any good tournament showing.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

Don't forget
    Affinity
    U/B/W/G Tog

If I don't get to keep mine a surprise, I feel less bad giving away everyone elses.

Nick (Night_Shade) said he will be there for sure, with 4 confirmed others.

Nick (Night_Shade) + 4
    Don (Angry Troll)
    Chris (Volt)
    Brett (LinkXWing)
    Max (frogboy?)

Noah
    Affinity Dude
    Deadguy Dude
    Zilla
    Brett's two random friends (Vial Goblins and Elves!?)
    We should make the 12 person deadline, and we very well could make the 16 person threshold too.
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

If we can hit a 16 man showing with the people around here, I will most definitely be supporting a monthly tournament with bigger prizes. 16 would be outstanding, in my opinion, for a good prize supported Legacy tournament for this area.

Next stuff on the rotation for tournament prizes are:
    1x NM Grim Tutor
    1x VF/VF- Library of Alexandria
    1x Mishra's Workshop (Absolute Mint, minimum C9.5)
    Power 9 (All Unlimited)
    DCI Judge Rewards promos/regular foils (5x Vampiric Tutor, 1x Balance, 1x Intuition, a few others...plus non-DCI high money foils like Grim Monolith, Wrath of God, Meddling Mages, Ravnica Duals, etc....English and foreign)
    Misc older "playable" cards: Resets, Moats, Mana Drains, Beta Demonic Tutor, Beta Volcanic Island, Beta Savannah, Beta Badlands
    And a ton more....

Honestly, I can hold ranges of tournaments from $5 entry to $25 entry, and we can structure prize support for both Legacy and Vintage tournaments, or pay out mixed, Vintage winnings for a Legacy tourney, or Legacy prizes (probably decksets) from Vintage tournaments. I'm completely open to suggestions, as long as it gets Portland moving again.

Lets start working on future events through this thread, and I'll go ahead and list future stuff within a month in advance for people in seperate threads.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

I really think that 16 people is doable for the tournament. You mentioned rotating vintage and legacy tournaments for this; How many proxies would be allowed in the vintage tournament?
    InfoNinjas

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

13 proxy for vintage, as is standard for our Monday night Vintage games.

Jul 2004
    College Station, TX

The biggest concern for Saturday will be the parking. Carpooling is probably the way to go, if you can arrange it. I have been parking down at Bed Bath and Beyond (I know, manly). If you can manage to carpool to the tournament, you probably should.

That occured to me this morning, and I thought I should mention it.
    InfoNinjas

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

I'm officially calling Zilla out: If he doesn't show, he's a total fucking pussy, especially since he talked me into giving him a ride despite his apartment literally being in the opposite direction of the tournament.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

What a fucking pussy!!! I know where he lives, I'll drag his ass down here myself if I have to.

It's official Zilla, soon we'll be having to call you ill-equipped to be able to discuss the LMF.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Your opinion means nothing to me, peon. Nevertheless, I will come take your FoWs.

Nov 2005
    Battle Ground, WA

Quote Originally Posted by DeathwingZERO View Post
    Next stuff on the rotation for tournament prizes are:
    1x NM Grim Tutor
    1x VF/VF- Library of Alexandria
    1x Mishra's Workshop (Absolute Mint, minimum C9.5)
    Power 9 (All Unlimited)
    DCI Judge Rewards promos/regular foils (5x Vampiric Tutor, 1x Balance, 1x Intuition, a few others...plus non-DCI high money foils like Grim Monolith, Wrath of God, Meddling Mages, Ravnica Duals, etc....English and foreign)
    Misc older "playable" cards: Resets, Moats, Mana Drains, Beta Demonic Tutor, Beta Volcanic Island, Beta Savannah, Beta Badlands
    And a ton more....
    Put up prizes like that and I will show up regularly to give people my money.

Thread Information