Thread: A Message to Ze Germans

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

A Message to Ze Germans

Please be advised that web.de email addresses are no longer valid for account signup at The Source. As I'm sure many are aware, we've had a surge in problems with bots and spammers lately, and about 80% of them use web.de (a free webmail service like hotmail) to create dummy email addresses for account creation.

The mod staff are doing what we can do regulate this problem, and unfortunately, banning web.de emails for account signups is one of the easiest steps to take.

There are some legitimate members who have used web.de email addresses to sign up for their Source accounts. Existing members should not be affected by this banning. If you or a friend are experiencing problems logging in, and you originally used a web.de address to sign up for your account here, please send myself or another moderator a private message and we will take the necessary steps to help fix with the problem.

Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Re: A Message to Ze Germans

Not a German, but nonetheless, wouldn't it be easier to use a captchas system rather than banning an entire demograph of potential users?

Mind you, I don't know the limitations of the forum software, but for some reason I was under the impression that they could be easily implemented in vBulletin.

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Oh no, looks like the Germans just got Das Boot! Yeah, yeah that's right, I went there. Obvious I just saw Beerfest? Probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    please send myself or another moderator a private message...
    ...and how do you send a PM if you can't login?

So if in fact you can't, as I would suspect, then unless you personally know someone else who has an account, then you are screwed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by TorpidNinja View Post
    Not a German, but nonetheless, wouldn't it be easier to use a captchas system rather than banning an entire demograph of potential users?

Mind you, I don't know the limitations of the forum software, but for some reason I was under the impression that they could be easily implemented in vBulletin.
    http://www.botmaster.net/more1/

Bots can get by captchas now....

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Now? Sufficiently sophisticated bots have existed for sometime that can make it past CAPTCHAs. Nonetheless, it using them leaves you with two scenarios (assuming that they're available for use freely on vBulletin:

A) The cost of the CAPTCHA recog software is prohibitive such that the bots that are currently targeting this site would be ineffectual because they can't access such software.

B) You try using CAPTCHAs, fail because the bot program is advanced enough, and - no harm no foul - because it didn't cost anything in the first place. In this event it comes down to a pretty simple concept: they really want ins on this site and then your only option is banning Germany. But, hey, at least you tried.

Either way, it seems better than eliminating a country from this site's potential user base preemptively.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

He isn't elimating an entire country, just people that try to register from www.web.de.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Yeah, as Mike said... it's just one e-mail provider. Not everyone in Germany uses web.de. In fact, most users that already registered from a web.de adress haven't experienced any trouble...
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Then I apologize for the misunderstanding, but maintain that some sort of Turing Test would be wise for the boards if there are issues like this in the future.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Haha. Yes, the Germans are still welcome here. And in fact, even those that had already signed up with web.de mail accounts are still able to log in as normal. Only new signups are banned from using web.de as a mail provider. Sorry for any confusion.

zefrank.com - Damn Germans.

Thread Information