Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Red Death

Re: [Deck] Red Death

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    Dystopia also hits enchantments, FYI.
    yeah, who said black didn't have enchantment kill? Another good reason why dystopia rules.

has anyone tested planar void sb? it isnt free like crypt and leylin but it cant be stiffled, stopped by pithing needle and if it gets destroyd you wont heve troube playing another one like you would with leyline

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

It also hoses your Giants and can be Forced/Dazed (relevant against Cephalid Breakfast). Kind of a pity, since it's nice that it keeps Tarmogoyf small.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by DURESSyou92 View Post
    has anyone tested planar void sb? it isnt free like crypt and leylin but it cant be stiffled
    It can be, but only once per card.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

I am just wondering about the health of Red Death? Is the deck still seeing play? How viable is it at present?

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

I tested with it some a couple weeks back, making some changes to the MD and SB. It did ok against Thresh, pretty good against Goblins still, and kinda meh against combo (Belcher and TES were really based on RD being on the play to even have a chance). I was about even with Landstill and control decks, and then I had Blood Moon in the board to help out post-board. I didn't test against Breakfast, but I assume it'd be in their favor some. Post-board might get better.

I think it's still a solid deck, but it does have some big hurdles to cross if it wants to compete. I have another version that drops Red for White, that's been doing pretty good in testing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by LordEvilTeaCup View Post
    I am just wondering about the health of Red Death? Is the deck still seeing play? How viable is it at present?
    There is one big problem with Red Death post-Future Sight. It can't run Tarmogoyf. I played this deck a month ago at my local tourney and made Top4 (about 20 players). My only loss in the swiss was to UGR Threshold which I don't believe I could have actually won because of Tarmogoyf. My opponent played 4 Tarmogoyfs in 2 games and my Rotting Giants were a joke in comparison.

Despite my success that day, I haven't played the deck since. I don't think it is reasonable to play a deck that utilizes creatures to win, but can't play what might be the best bargain in terms of power to cost ratio. I say this with some sadness, because I believed that pre-Flash, pre-Tarmogoyf that Red Death was one of the best decks in the format. It isn't anymore. It is important to realize that and move on. I think the next version of Suicide should adopt Tarmogoyf because its power is obvious and undeniable. I'm not sure if that means B/G, B/G/R, or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    There is one big problem with Red Death post-Future Sight. It can't run Tarmogoyf. I played this deck a month ago at my local tourney and made Top4 (about 20 players). My only loss in the swiss was to UGR Threshold which I don't believe I could have actually won because of Tarmogoyf. My opponent played 4 Tarmogoyfs in 2 games and my Rotting Giants were a joke in comparison.

Despite my success that day, I haven't played the deck since. I don't think it is reasonable to play a deck that utilizes creatures to win, but can't play what might be the best bargain in terms of power to cost ratio. I say this with some sadness, because I believed that pre-Flash, pre-Tarmogoyf that Red Death was one of the best decks in the format. It isn't anymore. It is important to realize that and move on. I think the next version of Suicide should adopt Tarmogoyf because its power is obvious and undeniable. I'm not sure if that means B/G, B/G/R, or something else.
    Some people (Technogeek and others whose posts I missed) have been suggesting B/w for Stp and Jotun Grunts. Both are really useful against Tarmy. So, I guess it is either play him or stop him now. I have a lot of hope invested in the Sui black archetype, due to Threshold and UG anything is so overplayed. Heck, I used to play it Its not over yet though. I believe there will be a list that will pop up that will shake things up.

Dunerider outlaw. O-o

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

I believe with 8 fetchlands, it can easily be done, and still remain an Suicide deck.

-3 Swamp
    +3 Bayou

-3 Giants
    -1 Anurid
    +4 Goyf

This might now work, but it should seriously be tested.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Anwar and I discussed this as well, but then with the 4 goyfs and 7 burn spells your dark rits are going to be much less impressive, thus a less explosive deck.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    Anwar and I discussed this as well, but then with the 4 goyfs and 7 burn spells your dark rits are going to be much less impressive, thus a less explosive deck.
    Just better off playing GAGOMY??
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

My latest and untested version of the green splash is the following -

4 Duress
    4 Hymn to Tourach
    4 Sinkhole

4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Nantuko Shade
    4 Hypnotic Specter
    4 Phyrexian Negator

4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Chain Lightning

4 Dark Ritual
    4 Wasteland
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Wooded Foothills
    3 Badlands
    2 Bayou
    3 Swamp

Sideboard
    4 Engineered Plague
    3 Jitte
    4 Krosan Grip
    3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Darkblast

You have to swap out Dystopia as Tarmogoyf happens to be green. I've added Krosan Grip as you need both Enchantment/Artifact removal without access to Dystopia. I added Wooded Foothills as another way to fetch both Bayou and Badlands. Without as much Goblins in the metagame you might be able to go with B/G, but you essentially have no removal options unless you opt for something like Deed which doesn't work well in a deck with so many cheap creatures. You can try something like EE, but again it doesn't seem all that good either.

GAGOMY what are you doing in this thread? This isn't the GAGOMEEEE thread!!!!

Well, Deed + Tombstalker works fine, though.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

GAGOMY what are you doing in this thread? This isn't the GAGOMEEEE thread!!!!
    No you're right, it isn't. I think I've decided that this thread needs more gagomy and less bad decks. Especially after our match tonight where it wasn't even close. Better luck next time Anwar.

You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.

I really don't think Burn is very good anymore.

Most of the weenie decks are going away, including goblins.

Now, all the threats are bigger, to compete with Goyf, Jotun Grunt etc.

So Burn loses a lot of its versatility as it can't deal with the most common, most powerful creatures.

So I think Anwar should be working on either White Death (Vindicate (more LD) + Jotun Grunt and maybe StP) or Green Death (Goyf + Rancor and maybe Smother or Berserk)... http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6681

With his expertise with the format, I think he can easily turn either strategy into a competitive tier one deck as he did with Red Death.

I think Confidant is better in a deck running Goyf too, as it lets you draw not only more disruption, but also the best creature any aggro deck could run.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

If he added white wouldn't it just be b/w pikula, not white death? I think white's been tried already and has had some success. I think a b/g version would be ok with smother and ghastly demise for removal. Only problem with these removal cards is that they're completely dead against combo as they don't help with those last 5/6 points of life like bolt/chain did.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerPunch View Post

So I think Anwar should be working on either White Death (Vindicate (more LD) + Jotun Grunt and maybe StP) or Green Death (Goyf + Rancor and maybe Smother or Berserk)... http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6681

With his expertise with the format, I think he can easily turn either strategy into a competitive tier one deck as he did with Red Death.
    I agree. It would be awesome to see what Anwar would come up with.

Sep 2007
    Toronto, ON

Greetings, this is my first post

I have been playing this deck for some time now (pre FS) and I am happy with it. As we all know now we have Mr. Goyf in the scene and everybody and his dog is playing it. It is also fairly obvious that RD has a big problem with this guy both pre and post SB (post SB we have Dystopias but they are not enough imho, easy to race). Has anybody researched on the subject on which way to change would be better? I am thinking towards Terminate and/or Smother. How many numbers? What to remove? Is there something else?

Member-ish
    Feb 2006
    Manila

Well, at least now this deck has a proactive answer to Goyf in Thoughtseize. Will this push the deck back up the ranks? Or would it be too little a boost?

I don't know... That's why I'm asking.
    The Source: Your Source for "The Source: Your Source for..." cliche.

Thread Information