Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: [Discussion] Combo Summer- Coming Soon?

Re: [Discussion] Combo Summer- Coming Soon?

Not to mention that any deck that can produce 2 colorless mana can support EE@0.
    BreathWeapon is right, if they empty their hand, and you can answer their tokens, you win. You are basically goldfishing at that point.
    Tendrils is scarier but requires a higher storm count, and therefore offers more time to react. These decks aren't broken, or at least, not any more than before. Yes, they require some, maybe severe, deck changes, but that's what Magic is about.

Quote Originally Posted by C.P.
    You can name ten billion cards that can answer first turn combo, It will always randomly win that die roll and kill you before you get to answer it.
    Funny, because Goblins tends to do the same thing. Even with multiple answers to turn1 Lackey, and Plagues and Hydroblasts in the board.
    Goblins is far from "broken", and so is combo. They might each require certain answers, but don't say that we don't have these answers for combo, because we have plenty. Most of them are not too slow, and are even decent against a large percentage fo the current field.

This new article, http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/academy/42, while written for Extended, is still applicable to the current conversation.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Goblins is far from "broken", and so is combo. They might each require certain answers, but don't say that we don't have these answers for combo, because we have plenty. Most of them are not too slow, and are even decent against a large percentage fo the current field
    No, Goblins isn't broken in the slightest. Having 8 Aether Vials, 4 Fact or Fiction, 4 Demonic Tutors, and an incredibly synergistic removal suite isn't broken at all. Of course the deck can be answered, but saying Goblins isn't a broken deck is a statement of denial. It's far more broken than any combo decks we have at the moment, to say the least. Those decks lose to hate, whereas Goblins somehow fights through almost everything.

I know people are going to go on and on about this forever without really changing either sides minds but from what I have heard from proponents of both sides is this:

Proponents of banning warrens feelings: Its ok that goblins distorts the format and certain specific cards like lackey make most control decks near unplayable but thats ok because I don`t like control. Empty the warrens and belcher are bad evil cards because it means my aggro deck is stupid and I have to play with control cards in my stompy deck.

Proponents of keeping things the way they are: Everything that is good distorts the format in some way to where certain cards or even decks are unplayable. Empty the warrens makes it to where you have to be able to answer another I win type situation. If you don`t like it`s too bad. Suck it up or die because the DCI ain`t gonna save ya.

I am obviously biased but anyone who is honest with themselves or those around them know everyone is biased to an extent. I think the comparison between goblin lackey and ETW is the stongest evidence for leaving things as they are and its what has made me a strong advocate for leaving ETW alone.
    If goblin lackey is left unanswered or uncountered it will win the game by turn 3 and so will ETW. Almost all the same tools that is good against lackey is good against ETW. The only thing that makes lackey manageable today is the distortion that was caused by lackey himself. I think in time people will learn to adapt and the same distortion will make ETW manageable.
    In short I beleive ETW and lackey are on the same power level so it is reasonable to make the claim that ETW is broken, distorting and should be banned if you agree that goblin lackey is also broken, distorting and should be banned but it is NOT ok to say ETW should be banned if lackey is ok. If you are making that argument you are arguing for a format with a metagame distorted to your personal liking rather than what is reasonable and balanced in correlation with what else is available in the format.
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

May 2007
    R.I.T

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus3636 View Post
    Almost all the same tools that is good against lackey is good against ETW.
    Pinpoint creature removal is good against ETW? Wow. I've been missing out. Mass removal will effect both, but the problem is "Will you be able to cast your board clearer in time?"
    Last edited by Cabal-kun; 06-17-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Quote tags weren't working.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus3636 View Post
    Almost all the same tools that is good against lackey is good against ETW.
    This is such a ridiculous statement. What the hell do StP, Lightning Bolt, Funeral Charm, Small Pox, Mogg Fanatic, Darkblast, Plated Sliver, Nimble Mongoose, Basking Rootwalla, Carnophage, Sarcomancy, any other 1-drop capable of blocking and killing lackey, or any pinpoint removal do against EtW? Kill 1 of 12 turn one tokens? You can make the case that anti-goblin cards (Engineered Plague, Ghostly Prison/Propoganda, Hail Storm, Pyroclasm) all work against EtW, but anti-Lackey cards certainly do not. The problem is, Goblins cannot get 10 - 16 power out on turn 1, so you actually have time to get enough mana to cast any of the aforementioned cards. EtW can, and there is very little one can do against a horde of 10+ goblins before you even get a turn.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Brightstone Ritual.

I can imagine Vial Gobs sideboarding in brightstone ritual after a g1 anal pounding by TES, only to add 14 red mana to their pool and go bonkers with warchiefs, piledrivers, ringleaders and so on.

It is true that all cards that effect Empty the Warrens also effect Goblin Lackey.

The point that blacklotus3636 was making just got turned on it's head because he reversed the cases. When the metagame adapts to handle a turn 1 ETW effectively then Lackey will no longer be a big threat. Aether Vial will still be an issue though.

Plays whatever whenever, and fails anyway
    May 2006

Broken does not necessarily mean ban-worthy. It just means a very synergistic and powerful card, or combination of cards. In this case, yes Goblins is a broken deck. It, as Diablos put it perfectly, has Demonic Tutors, FoFs, Lackey, Vial, and a load of synergistic removal that's not dead against combo. Does the fact that this deck is by far the most resilient and powerful deck in Legacy (yes, it's both more powerful and resilient than fast combo) and that it distorts the meta around 1 (although you could also argue that Aether Vial is distorting in it's own various ways as well) 1cc creature that you MUST be able to either answer immediately, or ignore and win anyway, to be a viable deck make it worthy of some sort of banning? Debatable. The answers to Lackey are plentiful and in every color in one form or another. Sure it's frustrating when you're 3 color control deck isn't really viable because its goblin matchup sucks, or that your aggro deck will rarely be an optimal choice because goblins has better disruption, a faster kill, and more resiliency, but that happens in every format. There will always be better decks, faster decks, whathaveyou.

However, combo decks like TES are really pushing this format to the brink. On it's own, TES probably wouldn't be that big a problem. It's not that difficult to adapt your deck to deal with a combo deck, but, it is very difficult to shift your deck to simultaneous deal with both insanely fast combo with EtW and Goblins. It might even be impossible, although I doubt it. It's not so much the individual power of these decks that's the issue, it's the combined affect they're having on the format. I, personally, don't think a ban is necessary, but even if it is, what would you ban? Lackey? Vial? EtW? LED? Banning any one of those cards probably wouldn't kill the deck it resides in anyway, weaken it sure, but not kill it. As I said, I have no preference as to what get banned, if anything. But, make sure you're banning cards for the right reasons, and just because you're frustrated with the way the format's going.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

blacklotus3636 just won the thread simply by being one of the very few people on internet discussion boards who seems actually capable of seeing the other side of the argument.
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

I fail to see the logic in what you are saying. Blacklotus is, as he admitted, very biased in his post. He isn't calling both sides correct; he is saying that he is correct, and basically decrying all those who think otherwise. I'm not saying he's more biased than anyone else (myself included), but frankly, he really isn't seeing both sides of the argument; he is promoting his feelings and mocking the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    No, Goblins isn't broken in the slightest. Having 8 Aether Vials, 4 Fact or Fiction, 4 Demonic Tutors, and an incredibly synergistic removal suite isn't broken at all. Of course the deck can be answered, but saying Goblins isn't a broken deck is a statement of denial. It's far more broken than any combo decks we have at the moment, to say the least. Those decks lose to hate, whereas Goblins somehow fights through almost everything.
    My point was that Goblins can flip the "I win" switch at any given time, as well, and it can fight through hate. No one is complaining that Goblins should be given a kick in the ass, so my argument was that combo shouldn't either. In fact, you kind of just aknowladged my point. The fact that you felt like squabbling over a word choice of mine that didn't have any real impact on the point of the statement didn't prove anything.

The thing is there are a ton of cards that define the game from turn one on in our environment, is Empty the Warrens and Goblin Lackey any more degenerate than Aether Vial, Trinisphere and Chalice of the Void or Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon and Root Maze? Each one is threatening to create an unrecoverable threat for the opponent if it isn't dealt with in some form, but at least Empty the Warrens and Goblin Lackey pretty much get answered by the same cards. Speaking of which, it really isn't hard to build a deck to defeat combo and Goblins at the same, just Piracy Charm, Stifle, Pithing Needle and Engineered Explosives tend to deal with both sets of decks.

All combo does is force aggro to interact with it, I don't see how that's necessarily unhealthy for the environment. Not being able to auto pilot Goblins degeneracy into the Top 8 is probably a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    The thing is there are a ton of cards that define the game from turn one on in our environment, is Empty the Warrens and Goblin Lackey any more degenerate than Aether Vial, Trinisphere and Chalice of the Void or Blood Moon, Magus of the Moon and Root Maze? Each one is threatening to create an unrecoverable threat for the opponent if it isn't dealt with in some form, but at least Empty the Warrens and Goblin Lackey pretty much get answered by the same cards. Speaking of which, it really isn't hard to build a deck to defeat combo and Goblins at the same, just Piracy Charm, Stifle, Pithing Needle and Engineered Explosives tend to deal with both sets of decks.

All combo does is force aggro to interact with it, I don't see how that's necessarily unhealthy for the environment. Not being able to auto pilot Goblins degeneracy into the Top 8 is probably a good thing.
    I don't think I've ever agreed with you more.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Speaking of which, it really isn't hard to build a deck to defeat combo and Goblins at the same, just Piracy Charm, Stifle, Pithing Needle and Engineered Explosives tend to deal with both sets of decks.
    Piracy Charm...will have very little impact against most Combo
    Explosives...is actually somewhat too slow against Goblins
    Needle...will do nothing against Tendrils/ETW Combo

Stifle is fine, however.
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

May 2007
    Rochester

If combo like belcher had 8 belchers and 0 etw or 8etw and 0 belchers i think it would be fair but what they do is if you have counters they play etw adn if u have mass removal they pay belcher... u have to have counterspell and mass removal to have a good game vs them or be playing other disruption and a fast clock

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Guy I Don't Know View Post
    If combo like belcher had 8 belchers and 0 etw or 8etw and 0 belchers i think it would be fair but what they do is if you have counters they play etw adn if u have mass removal they pay belcher... u have to have counterspell and mass removal to have a good game vs them or be playing other disruption and a fast clock
    Are decks not allowed to have threat density anymore? It's a common principal of the game, it you ban either Belcher or ETW you're stopping the nature of the game. When this happens is there even a reason to play if you're stopping a fundamental rule of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy I Don't Know View Post
    You know, you could build your deck with Chalice of the Void, Pithing Needle, Pyroclasm and Rolling Earthquake if you wanted to beat a deck that quickly presents Belcher and Goblin tokens. In fact, I think someone already did that...
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    Piracy Charm...will have very little impact against most Combo
    Explosives...is actually somewhat too slow against Goblins
    Needle...will do nothing against Tendrils/ETW Combo

Stifle is fine, however.
    Most people just don't understand what these cards are for,

Piracy Charm can either remove a Xantid Swarm or ruin the Infernal Tutur->Ill Gotten Gains->Infernal Tutor->Tendrils of Agony loop against combo, and it remains in the graveyard after removing Xantid Swarm to deter the opponent from using the Infernal Tutor->Ill Gotten Gains->Infernal Tutor->Tendrils of Agony loop. Piracy Charm kills Goblin Lackey, and it "cycles" against anything.

Engineered Explosives removes Empty the Warrens. Engineered Explosives can remove a Goblin Lackey on the play, but it is generally used to remove Aether Vials.

Pithing Needle "counters" Goblin Charbelcher. Pithing Needle "counters" Aether Vial.

@GuyIdon'tknow

If Belcher had 8 Goblin Charbelchers or 8 Empty the Warrens it wouldn't be viable, it's not threat density, but threat diversification that makes the deck competitive. You can always counter the acceleration, so the fact that Empty the Warrens has storm is irrelevant, and if you SB in mass removal your more likely to auto-win against the deck because there are 4 Goblin CharBelchers and 7 Empty the Warrens. Smart players will know this and prefer to use Goblin Charbelcher or cast Burning Wish for Diminishing Returns in game two, but if Belcher didn't have these options, it wouldn't be fair, because opponent's could just SB in hate for one win condition and auto-win.

The best best is to counter the opponent's acceleration and use general disruption, like Unmask, Hymn to Tourach, Duress, Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, Chalice of the Void, Null Rod, Root Maze and then use Stifle against either win condition or Orim's Chant to suppress their mana production and then use mass removal against Warrens and then use removal against Belcher.

The problem isn't combo, its the players that don't want to recognize combo as a healthy part of the metagame, refuse to prepare for combo, get their asses handed to them by combo and then complain about combo. Even tho' combo is very fast, as a result it's also very vulnerable, and the opponent can end the game against combo just as fast as combo can end the game against them.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Nov 2006
    Hungary

I don't think the whole "distorts the metagame" line of discussion is fruitful here. As numerous people have pointed out numerous times, powerful cards in any format will distort the format around them. Wrath of God has a large effect on Standard. Should it be banned? Don't make me laugh. You only have a problem when the entire environment becomes focused around that single card or deck: valid examples of this have been Trix, Skullclamp, and Affinity. Legacy does not currently have this. There is no single card played across multiple decks which everyone has to either play themselves or devote their entire deck to hosing. Nor is there a single such deck: Goblins is certainly powerful, and is (or maybe was) the best deck in the format, but it's nowhere near Trix or Affinity. So this entire line of reasoning simply does not apply.

What it does make sense to discuss is the more subjective topic of power level. We have a fairly healthy metagame right now in Legacy, in terms of balance: Belcher/TES beats Goblins beats Threshold/Fish beats Belcher/TES, with many other viable decks also in the mix. On the other hand, you can hardly argue that it hasn't gotten faster since the earlier days of Solidarity and company. The question is, what level of power and speed do we want to have in the format? Is it acceptable to have decks either winning outright on the first or second turn, or vomiting a double digit number of Goblin tokens on the board in the same frame of time? This is a subjective issue than can only be decided personally, and so I personally answer: no. I think the previous state of the format was already a tad too powerful.

If we want to return to the format as it was, the recipe is simple:

ban Empty the Warrens

On the other hand, if I were God Almighty, the changes I instate would rather be the following:

ban Tendrils of Agony
    ban Brain Freeze
    ban Goblin Charbelcher
    ban Goblin Lackey

(Elaborating on why, exactly, these, would be an article in itself and likely off topic, but to summarize briefly: the goal would be an environment, foremost, slower, composed of a variety of control decks, aggro decks which aren't necessarily Goblins, and combo decks which aren't necessarily Storm. Control might become too powerful, but I think Aether Vial is a good bulwark against that happening.)

There are certainly many Vintage triumphalists who claim that the current speed of the format is a good thing, an inevitable evolution, nay, the only rightful and proper direction for it to evolve in; that Legacy, by its very nature, shall get faster with the passage of time, shall have blue and black as its only respectable colors, that it shall become entirely alike to Vintage; and that this, indeed, is the only conceivable and only true form the final state of any Eternal format can take. This is true under one condition and one condition only: if the power level of a format is not sufficient grounds for the banning of cards in it. Now, the one and only criterium which Wizards has, across the years, consistently used as sufficient in itself for the banning of a card, was it not being fun, because fun is what keeps the players playing, and what keeps the money -- however much or little of it -- flowing. If players no longer find a format fun, or find it significantly less fun than it used to be, due to its power level, then that is a strong incentive to go out, take a good look around, and demolish something, or many things, with the Banhammer of Justice. The argument at this point is that Legacy does not belong to us, and this is partly true. Legacy belongs to two classes of people: those who do play it, and those who might. To use this as an argument against the banning of cards to slow the format down, one must show that the reason that those who might play the format, do not, is because it is too slow. Good luck with that.

Note: This post works off the assumption that the essence of the Legacy metagame going forward is, in fact, Belcher/TES beats Goblins beats Threshold/Fish beats Belcher/TES. There is some tournament evidence to support this, but not a huge amount. If it turns out differently, then some things, of course, may not apply. And if most players of Legacy prefer it in its faster state, then there is naturally also less incentive to consider banning anything.
    SummenSaugen: well, I use Chaos Orb, Animate Artifact, and Dance of Many to make the table we're playing on my chaos orb token
    SummenSaugen: then I flip it over and crush my opponent

You forgot to mention that Landstill beats Threshold/Fish and has quite a good match against combo too.

Thread Information