1 trinisphere
    3 karmic justice
    3 defense grid
    3 tormod's crypt
    2 karmic justice
    1 oblivion ring
    1 enlightened tutor
    1 the tabernacle at pendrell vale
    Cheater! 5 Karmic Justice! If I were you I'd drop the 3 Karmic Justice for 3 Suppression Field

My first match was against a guy with mainboard Trygon Pedator AND mainboard Jotun Grunt. That's a pretty bad match-up in my book. I locked him out game 2, but game 3 he had too many counters and stuff to counter my threats: he played UGwb Thresh, and by game 3 it was a counterfest supported by Grip, Vindicate and Predator. Thanks dude.

My second match was against a guy that played random BWR goodstuff, so I just walked all over him game 1. Game 2 was alot closer but I won after a long time of answering eachother's threats.

My third match was again against a madness deck with mainboard Trygon Predator. It got pretty close after sideboarding. I smashed him game 2: turn 2 lock: Turn 1: Ancient Tomb, Mox, Trinisphere, go. Turn 2: land, Smokestack, go...Turn 3 I dropped a Crucible. It went on for a few turns because he wanted to see what else was in my deck, but eventually he scooped. Game 3 we exchanged threats, no Trygon Predator ever saw the board, but Back to Basics saw the board and it took me 3 turns to set up enough mana to cast Oblivion Ring on that snazzer (Yeah, I don't know what a snazzer is too, but it can't be good). In the meantime a Basking Rootwalla was pounding me, and after half a deck I didn't draw into a single Geddon, so this guy won, after a long match. Eventually this guy won the tournament.

Fourth match was against a guy who played BGW iirc, he had deeds and Gaddock Teeg. Game 2 he got a Pernicious Deed out, but no mana to activate. I play 2 Suppression Fields next turn and he scoops (I had him by his balls). I didn't change my sideboard, but I should have gotten more Teeg-hate. Teeg stopped my Geddon and EE. That sucked because I really needed that EE.

My fifth match was against a guy who played Thresh, but really, since I lost 3 matches already I was like wtf, and let the beers come, which have kicked in here a bit, so I lost this one 2-0. But I feel I lost to beer, not to Thresh

Last match was against an ADHD teammate who played Cephalid Breakfast. We both sucked in this tournament, having won only 1 match. We also knew that my Stax > his Breakfast. Still, I proposed to switch decks. Which we did. So I played Cephalid Breakfast and he played Stax. Needless to say, I kicked his ass 2-0 He did try to cheat though, drawing an extra card, so I called the judge on him, and he called the judge on me to have me deckchecked! The SoaB! So I quickly told the judge to deckcheck him too. Now the judge was confused and asked if we couldn't handle this on our own; but also because we were at the low tables, so it didn't really matter anyway, haha

So I went 2-4-0 ...ouch there goes my ego

Edit:

This has been spoiled:

WotC creates a new Angel to try and give WhiteStax some love...

Exalted Angel probably still is the better choice, because she defends with 5 toughness, and can be casted over two turns with less mana sources. However, this one does hit a bit harder; but then again, no lifelink when defending. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Skeggi; 09-08-2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Battlegrace Angel
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, it's probably delicious.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

Re: [Deck] Armageddon Stax

Exalted Angel is Sexier, so I don't think she'll going to be replaced anytime soon. The extra punch doesn't really matter, if she had vigilance then she would have been a great replacement, but as it it she comes a bit short.

Software wizard

Jun 2008
    Toronto

5 casting cost is a no go for me.

I love exalted angel because I can potentialy cast it turn one and swing for a +4/-4 on turn 2.

The one thing that looks interesting about the angel. You can leave her big 'ole butt back on defense and turn all your Magus' and Factorys into 2/x lifelinkers.

-FB...

Also, lets not forget that Exalted Angel eats up two turns of mana.

This costs one more mana than Exalted Angel costs to unmorph, a colorless mana at that. But it saves you from having to use up most of your mana the turn earlier.

It also beats for 5, and makes your Magus into a 3/7 lifelinker.

Exalted Angel is probably better. But this is worth atleast a look imo.

Remember that if your Magus is a 3/7 lifelinker, than the Angel isn't attacking.

The EPIC Syndicate's scapegoat of humanity

Feb 2008
    In ridicule.

A resolved one could result in a better matchup vs. Landstill varients--4/4 land-creatures tend to win in land wars, and while most 'Geddon stax don't run it, it has applications when Ensnaring Bridge is involved. It gets the +1/+1 after declared as an attacker.

When I played this deck, I never went for a turn 2 angel simply because I never wanted to get my Angel StP'ed/Smothered/Edict'ed etc. I would ALWAYS wait to play an angel until after I got down 3sphere/Chalice.

Despite these facts, I would probably stick with Exalted if you use them. Not these.

Pce,

--DC

Apr 2005
    LaLa Land

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Bear View Post
    The one thing that looks interesting about the angel. You can leave her big 'ole butt back on defense and turn all your Magus' and Factorys into 2/x lifelinkers.

-FB...

The card is interesting since it would make magus 3/7 as well factory.

But we never really attack with magus if we have exalted angel out, we attack with angel and block with magus. (unless the creature is flying)

The thing with this creature is she really cant block and gain you life.

You cant play her first turn either and haver her morphed out and kicking butt, on your second turn.

You can't cast her for 3 to have as a blocker. If you happen to be struggling with your mana.

When I played this deck, I never went for a turn 2 angel simply because I never wanted to get my Angel StP'ed/Smothered/Edict'ed etc. I would ALWAYS wait to play an angel until after I got down 3sphere/Chalice.
    Sometimes its worth the risk.
    Last edited by f|i[p]; 09-10-2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo

If you're asking if it should replace Sexy, not only in this deck, but any deck running it, I would say no. If you're trying to find more muscle, I'd say possibly, but I still think Serra Avenger is superior to this.

EDIT: If you are going to try out the new Angel, I would say try Crawl Space. It just seems like they might have synergy.
    Team PGK (Psychopathic Garbage Kids)

I believe crawlspace have been tested before and have been found to be a waste of time.

A resolved one could result in a better matchup vs. Landstill varients--4/4 land-creatures tend to win in land wars, and while most 'Geddon stax don't run it, it has applications when Ensnaring Bridge is involved. It gets the +1/+1 after declared as an attacker.
    Do you mean to say that we should run Nantuko monastery, then run ensnaring bridge, just to get full use of the angel?

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

I can only see this Angel be good in a Trygon Predator heavy meta. She can stay home and defend, and you Factory or Magus can go out to thump a bit and gain you some life.

I think I might test her in addition to my 2 Exalted Angels, as a 1-of most likely though. On a side-note, it might be pretty sweet to have Exalted Angel attack with double life link, but it'd be totally win-more.
    Team ADHD-To resist is to piss in the wind. Anyone who does will end up smelling.

I'm the only one that thinks that this new angel is better than the exalted in this deck??

I hate playing a first turn angel and unmorph it just to see it StP.

And then, if you're playing exalted upside, this is plain better: costs one less, it makes the magus you just played the turn before a 3/7 lifelinker the turn it comes into play (if it doesn't have summoning sickness, you just atttack with the angel and defend with the magus, obviously), and ends the game one turn before (two counting the one mana less in the casting cost)...

And if you have to defend against something with flying (ie trygon predator), jus send a mishra to attack: at least is a 3/3 lifelink and can be greater with other mishras...

Aug 2008
    Turin, Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Zinch View Post

And then, if you're playing exalted upside, this is plain better: costs one less, it makes the magus you just played the turn before a 3/7 lifelinker the turn it comes into play (if it doesn't have summoning sickness, you just atttack with the angel and defend with the magus, obviously), and ends the game one turn before (two counting the one mana less in the casting cost)...

And if you have to defend against something with flying (ie trygon predator), jus send a mishra to attack: at least is a 3/3 lifelink and can be greater with other mishras...
    I prefer karn but i think that this new angel is better than the exalted...

Quote Originally Posted by Zinch View Post
    I'm the only one that thinks that this new angel is better than the exalted in this deck??
    Yes, the consensus seems to be that Exalted Angel is better.

And I agree, Exalted Angel IS better.

The number one function of Exalted Angel is stabilize your lifetotal against fast aggro decks that can race you before you can lock them out.

Blocking is often essential in that scenario.

Angel being able to stay back to block, being able to block 4/4s without dying, AND gaining you 4 life in doing so is pretty huge.

I am not ashamed to admit I was wrong.

I proxied up and tried out the new Angel, and I'm impressed.

Not having to eat up two of your turns to play it is a big boost against aggro. That means you can spend one turn casting Ghostly Prison and the next one casting this, rather than using up both turns to cast and unmorph Exalted Angel.

It only costs one more mana than Magus or Windborne Muse, so it's cc is very reasonable for a 5/5 lifelink flyer.

I like that it can attack into a Tombstalker and trade with it.

The aggro factor is not as big a deal as I though. Being able to hold back with angel as a blocker and instead swinging with a 3/7 lifelink Magus or vice versa is fine against aggro.

I'm going to keep it in for now. The only question is, how many should I run. It's useless in multiples, so is 2 okay, or is 3 the correct number?

Quote Originally Posted by acchia85 View Post
    I prefer karn but i think that this new angel is better than the exalted...
    Why do you prefer Karn to this, or Exalted Angel?

Yes Karn turns Smokestacks, Crucibles and Trinispheres into 4/4 and 3/3 beaters for one mana each. And it blows up opposing Mox and Artifact Lands.

Does that make up for it not have any evasion or lifelink?

If Karn gets blocked, it becomes a 0/8. So it can be chump blocked forever by just a 1/1 creature.

If you have Trinispheres, Crucibles and Smokestacks on the board to abuse with Karn, you're usually already winning anyways aren't you?

You sure you prefer that to a 5/5 flying lifelinker for the same mana cost?

Apr 2005
    LaLa Land

I still don't think shes better than angel, although if you'd like to put her in the deck, I think she'd go in better if she doesn't replace exalted angel but compliment exalted angel instead..

maybe as a 2 of, If I would try to fit her in I would probably put 3 exalted angels and 2 of her.

On what to cut, In my decklist I have 2 O. rings(since I dont have armageddon 5 and 6) that I can move to the side.
    Last edited by f|i[p]; 09-11-2008 at 11:59 AM. Reason: clear up

Shake that.
    Mar 2008
    Amsterdam

Well, she does give the option of making AngelStompyStax

Take out the Maguses and all, and play 8 Angels and 4 Muses. That's quite an army (I'm actually half-serious)

That could work.

But for now, I am replacing Exalted Angel with her and am not running a playset.

She is at her best 5/5 flying lifelinker when attacking by her lonesome self.

Attacking with multiples of her, or her + exalted angel attacking, doesn't lead to much more a life swing than just her attacking by herself.

On the subject of Angels, have any of you tried Pristine Angel in the side for the Control match-up?
    Team PGK (Psychopathic Garbage Kids)

Thread Information