Page 23 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: [DTB] Vial Goblins

This is off topic, but I feel like there is a need to address this.

Guys, easy with the flame and everything. There is no tone for online forums, the most random comments can be percieved as an insult, but please try to think everything towards the positive direction.

Why do we spend our time on this forum and reading ant sized paragraphs page after page? Because we love Magic, we love the deck, and we want to improve on it. When we introduce new ideas, it's always a good idea to include the test results. That said, PLEASE, remember the following:

There is 9348392084320 builds of Goblins out there. Black slaph for Therapy, Bidding, Green splash for Naturalize, White splash for Disenchant, Blue splash for Altered Reality, MonoRed, artifact splash with Needle and Jitte, etc etc etc. There is NO WAY that everybody is testing the same mirror match. Perhaps the SP is useful in MonoRed vs MonoRed, perhaps Absolutely Law is useful in White Splash vs MonoRed, etc etc etc

The point is that nobody tests against the same deck for mirror match, that's why everybody's result might be drastically different. There are two ways to solve this:

Make a standard list of The Gob Test deck. Have a standard list and most general SB choice, post it up, and say: if you want to introduce new ideas into the Vial Gob archtype, mirror match test it against this list right here, and post your results. That way, everybody have a consistant "opponent" for some consistant results.

The other choice would be to post the deck list of the deck that you are playing against. (This is a pure example, please have the common sense not to flame.) For example, I'm going to introduce the tech Goblin Vandal into the deck because I believe Vial superiority is the key to winning mirror match. I will post to say what I would side out for the Vandal, I would post the decklist of mirror that I tested against, and then I would explain the results. That is much credible and convincing than "I have tested Vandal, works like savage."

Just my 2 cents.

[/rant]
    Nothing witty to say.

Sep 2005
    the netherlands

Hi there,

Another sollution to the mirror: side in (extra) Goblin Pyromancer(s).

Play enough blockers to keep him from winning, play Pyromancer, and race his ass to defeat.

(EDIT) Oh, and another thing: how do you guys think about Goblin Goon? Against most decks, you'll barely notice his drawback. Only problem I can think of is the not so perfect synergy with lackey (in the first/second turn your oppo might have a bigger army than you) but with a warchief out you can easily hardcast him (3R is a piece 'o cake for your ports and wastelands).

thanks,
    ESG would be good if only it had flying.

Hello all,

I am sure this has been talked about before, but why not splash green? You get on-color fetches, Naturalize, Artifact Mutation, just to name a few. Some people on this thread have been flaming people for "putting non-Gobs in your Gob deck" But this is the side board, and looking at what the Current SB's are, they are not full of goblins

(On a side note, why was Skirk Prospector dumped from the deck? What page of the thread can I find it on? thanks)

Prospector was dropped because he just wasn't that useful as a card-disadvantage mana-accelerator. You already have 12 one-drops without him, and he was the weakest card in the list. Thats why he got cut.

Aug 2005
    New York

Instead of Naturalize in the G/R build. Why not Hull Breach? It seems much better.

Hull Breach GR
    Destroy target enchanment; Destroy target artifact; Destroy target Enchantment and artifact.

Rainbow Unicorn
    Jan 2005
    Springfield, Virginia

Sorcery. Say you want to surprise your opponent and say, Naturalize Humility EOT and he tapped out and swung with tokens, you just won the game. Mainly because you caught your opponent off guard.
    Proud Member of Team Unicorn.

A unicorn is like a horse, but with a horn on its head. I think that's pretty cool.

Myspace

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Had anyone tested Master Warcraft that card is ridiculous. It is a falter,lure, and a god awful fog. I have consulted with the infinate wisdom of IBA and he give me the seal of approval.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

4 Warchief
    4 Piledriver
    4 Matron
    4 Ringleader
    4 Fanatic
    4 Lackey
    4 Incinerator
    2 Pyromancer
    3 SGC
    1 Kiki-Jiki

4 Vials

3 Ports
    4 Wasteland
    15 Mountain

SB:
    4 Needle
    2 Pyromancer
    4 REB
    4 Sirocco
    1 SS

I thought I'd post my most recent list, if anyone really gives a flying fuck. The new list seems to be busting a lot of peoples balls, so you might want to look into it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention why some things arent there and why some are.

3 SGC. This has been nuts. I am never unhappy to draw one.

No MD SS. Well SS is good, but the second Pyromancer is better in the mirror. I have tested this thoroughly before I posted it btw.

Thats basically it.

Jun 2005
    Michigan

Evil Roopey: I like the 3 seige-gangs in your list. My friend has been running 3 SGCs since as long as hes had his goblin deck. SGC is way too synergistic with Kiki, Piledriver, and Sharpshooter(well, apparently not for you.) to only run one of in the deck, in my opinion.

Also, whats the general consensus about lightning bolt?

Pros-It can get an early lackey through by burning a would-be blocker.
    You can throw 3-6 damage at your opponent's head and win a turn earlier.

Cons-Not synergistic with Ringleader.
    Belcher, RUG Delver, Death & Taxes, Colorless Eldrazi, Goblins

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Fuck you ^_^

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

I have found that the fact that it is completely antisynergistic witht the deck to outway and pros the card might have. Upping the land count as of late means that there are already more non-goblin cards in the deck. Adding even more would be poor and all around stupid. If what you are trying to do is get Lackey through 4 Fanatic, 4 Incinerator should easily do the trick. That is more than enough removal for an aggro deck.

Roop

Dec 2003
    Portland OR

Cons-Not synergistic with Ringleader.
    Or Vial, Matron, SGC, Pyromancer, Kiki, King, Incinerator, Piledriver or Warchief.

Edited By LinkXwing on 1130525205
    It's not a sin to be weak, it's a sin to stay weak.

Quick question: Are the designers even trying to tweak to do bad, instead of horrible, against Rabid Wombat, or is it just given up as a matchup where you will win when they're mana screwed/you get the nuts and that's it? Or is it just a matter of adding 4 Flashfires to the SB if it's that much of a metagame concern?

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Most builds have Anarchy/Disenchant in the board, and then Pithing Needle. All you really need to do is build up a sufficient strike force, Anarchy/Disenchant/Needle on RoP: Red, and your matchup turned around.

But it's usually regarded as a terrible matchup no matter what. Any deck where a third of the deck is creature hate is going to make you a sad panda regardless.
    -Slay
    OH SHIT THERES A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

If you're running Jittes, which a lot of people don't seem to be doing, your matchup vs. Wombat is significantly better. You really don't care about Humility when your Jitte's getting counters and you can pump your dudes... Moat + Humility would be bad, though, ;). Granted most people don't seem to like Jittes in Goblins because they're generally only good in the creature matchups, but I found that when testing Wombat vs. Jitte Goblins, Wombat was winning waaaaay less than it should.

Luis

Dodge this.
    Jan 2005
    Westland, Michigan

I found that when testing Wombat vs. Jitte Goblins, Wombat was winning waaaaay less than it should.
    Does anyone else have testimony to confirm this? I have not tried the Jitte in Gobbos yet. Is it actually worth testing?

[EDIT] The inclusion of Jitte had been discussed around pages 14-16. It seems that the general consensus was net tempo loss and not active often enough.

I will be testing against Rabid Wombat on Thursday night. At first, I dismissed Wombat as TIBA's pet deck, a rogue that I probably wouldn't see. However, Wombat is catching on and I am now seeing it played by two local players. One of which, Krzymoose, piloted it to the finals of GPT Detroit. We have discussed such options as Flashfires, Armageddon, Flaring Pain (not so much) and Various degrees of graveyard hate. Any other suggestions would be welcome.[EDIT]
    When other people do not assert themselves, they may still have something to be proud of, something that they believe is unrivalled, but it is just that they have not got the same vulgarity of throwing their weight about and imposing themselves and their beliefs on other people. - Dunduzu Kalui Chisiza

If you think a topic is dumb, don't add to it. Pretty simple. - Bardo

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by umbowta
    [EDIT] The inclusion of Jitte had been discussed around pages 14-16. It seems that the general consensus was net tempo loss and not active often enough.

I will be testing against Rabid Wombat on Thursday night. At first, I dismissed Wombat as TIBA's pet deck, a rogue that I probably wouldn't see. However, Wombat is catching on and I am now seeing it played by two local players. One of which, Krzymoose, piloted it to the finals of GPT Detroit. We have discussed such options as Flashfires, Armageddon, Flaring Pain (not so much) and Various degrees of graveyard hate. Any other suggestions would be welcome.[EDIT]
    About Jitte, any concensus you found here against Jitte doesn't really exist elsewhere. Roughly half of the Goblins decks you see Top 8ing at GPT's and the like are running Jittes, so it's not exactly the underdog. I haven't tested Jitte in Goblins against Wombat, but I've tested other aggro decks with Jitte against Wombat and it does make a difference.

As for SB options against Wombat for Goblins, Armageddon is just strictly worse than Flashfires, obviously. It's narrow, sure, but you have to ask yourself how many decks Goblins is losing to, and then ask how good Geddon is going to be against them. As far as I'm aware, The only decks Goblins has any kind of problem with are white-based control/aggro-control, or combo which is fast enough to race Geddon anyway. I guess an exception might be Turboland, but until that deck catches on, Flashfires is probably going to be the better choice.

You're going to want to run Disenchant in the board as well, to compliment the Flashfires. This kills RoP: Red and Humility, which is nice, but it more importantly kills the Sacred Ground that your Wombat opponent will assuredly be siding in against you.

I don't know how well this all works in practice, particularly in Goblins. All the cards you need to bring inj against Wombat are bad for the deck's overall function, so it's difficult to say how consistent this strategy will be, but it's worth a try.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Most builds have Anarchy/Disenchant in the board, and then Pithing Needle. All you really need to do is build up a sufficient strike force, Anarchy/Disenchant/Needle on RoP: Red, and your matchup turned around.

But it's usually regarded as a terrible matchup no matter what. Any deck where a third of the deck is creature hate is going to make you a sad panda regardless.
    -Slay
    This plan is signifigantly worse than Flashfires. I'll give you two reasons; Wing, Shards. Between Wing Shards and WoG, the goblin player often finds themselves caught between a rock and a hard place.

I'm perplexed as to what makes you think building up a strike force will be easy when they play so many sweep effects.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Why not start playing Flashfires in the SB? really... Wombat is this deck's bad matchup, so why not just rock it?

My presented SB:

3 Flashfires
    3 Sharpshooter/Pheonix/MirrorTech
    4 Pillar
    3 REB

Is there enough MWC right now to warrant this SB?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

No. Wombat is not played. There is absolute no reason to run Flashfires. How about a nice playset of Lightning Bolts instead?
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop
    Why not start playing Flashfires in the SB? really... Wombat is this deck's bad matchup, so why not just rock it?

My presented SB:

3 Flashfires
    3 Sharpshooter/Pheonix/MirrorTech
    4 Pillar
    3 REB

Is there enough MWC right now to warrant this SB?
    Instead of running flashfires you should be running pithing needle, or even master warcraft.

Thread Information