Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: [DTB] U/G/x Thresh - a.k.a. Not Quite Gro, SuperGro

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

Re: [DTB] U/G/x Thresh - a.k.a. Not Quite Gro, SuperGro

That's enough of the Bob bashing. Bob > Counter Balance. Cards draw > Life Loss.

But I will agree with you that Bob is counter productive when you have Counter Balance on the table.

I have to agree with Wastedlife, Top is bad for straight Gro. But I really don't see any other way to get the full effect of CB without it. Then it becomes worse then Daze, and a very conditional Counterspell.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

It all depends on how you define conditional. Daze is most definately conditional. Force of Will is most definately conditional, though you can use it in many more instances than Daze. If you mean by too conditional that it will be useful less often than Daze, lets look at some statisics.

In the last D4D I took either the top placing, or most consistant version of the decks to beat. I then counted the number of one and two costed spells maindecked. Now remember in just my example, there are 17 one mana and 22two mana spells.

Threshold(Bardo): 1)22. 2)15.

Solidarity(Deep6er): 1)12. 2)17.

Angel Stompy(Canook): 1)14. 2)14.

Goblins(Smart Version): 1)12. 2)8. (Just for completeness)

Deadguy Ale(Bowles): 1)11. 2)17.

B/R Sui(Anwar): 1)15. 2)16.

Without the low land count, Fetchlands, and copious amounts of deck manipulation, inherent in Threshold, that's still better than a 25% chance of hitting against most of these decks. I would say that alone would be better than Daze. I doesn't cost a land drop, and pays for itself after more than one use. I also think over the course of a full game, Daze is dead more than 25% of the time.

Now you take into account all the above mentioned ways Threshold has to increase this percentage, and I see a formidable tempo machine. I'm awful with numbers, but I can see odds pretty well. When you know how many cards in hand your opponent has, the amount of mana available, and in most cases, the cards in their deck, is it really so hard to believe you will be able to successfully use this several times?

Unlike many, I never made the claim that Counterbalance was broken, but if it works several times during the course of a game, at the cost of one card and two mana since the deck manipulation was already in Threshold, and you are still able to counter the spell anyway since you reveal while it is still on the stack, doesn't that seem to have merit?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

J@ D3 M3u$
    Feb 2006
    Toronto

2 Questions: What is the particular cause for so much ugr builds being used lately, and so little white?

How many stifles should be run between md/sb?
    Standard makes baby Jesus cry

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

What is the particular cause for so much ugr builds being used lately, and so little white?
    There wasn't a single UGR build at the most recent D4D. Where are you getting that there is a lot?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star
    2 Questions: What is the particular cause for so much ugr builds being used lately, and so little white?

How many stifles should be run between md/sb?
    1) Because UGR is stronger against Goblins, and some forms of random aggro--because of Pyroclasm, burn, etc. UGR is stronger in some metas; ditto for UGW. Honestly, I think it often comes down to personal taste and access to the appropriate dual lands.

2) I'd say 0. But if the correct number is greater than 0, then it's not more than 2. Sure there's a lot of stuff that you want to Stifle, but not so much that I can really really get behind its inclusion.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

I found this on www.Morphling.de

Iserlohn, Germany 23.07.2006

At a 64 participant tournament this list came in 3rd. With a record of 6-1.

4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Mental Note
    3 Predict
    4 Serum Visions
    3 Burning-Tree Shaman
    3 Fire/Ice
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Werebear
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Magma Jet

Lands (18):
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Hidden Gibbons
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Naturalize
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Pyroclasm
    3 Tormond's Crypt

I like the use of BTS here. His huge body must help the deck against the mirror and gobs even more. His build is very aggro with the additional body and the red burn spells.
    Now playing real formats.

Angel of Legacy
    Apr 2006
    Off the Wall Games

Wow, I have been thinking of changing from UGW a little. Maybe I'll do some testing with this build, or something close.
    Now rocking a job at Off the Wall Games!!
    ~Team Necro~

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living
    I found this on www.Morphling.de

Iserlohn, Germany 23.07.2006

At a 64 participant tournament this list came in 3rd. With a record of 6-1.

4 Brainstorm
    1 Counterspell
    3 Daze
    4 Force of Will
    3 Mental Note
    3 Predict
    4 Serum Visions
    3 Burning-Tree Shaman
    3 Fire/Ice
    4 Nimble Mongoose
    4 Werebear
    4 Lightning Bolt
    2 Magma Jet

Lands (18):
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Volcanic Island

Sideboard
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    3 Hidden Gibbons
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Naturalize
    2 Pithing Needle
    3 Pyroclasm
    3 Tormond's Crypt

I like the use of BTS here. His huge body must help the deck against the mirror and gobs even more. His build is very aggro with the additional body and the red burn spells.
    People have been running Burning Tree Shaman in UGr Gro for a while in Germany. It is a lot better than Fledging Dragon due to it's easier casting cost and it's very useful ability.

By the way, another card that sees a lot of play around here recently is Hidden Gibbons. I haven't read most of this thread, but if you guys haven't considered Gibbons as a sideboard card yet, you might want to try it. It's usually sided in against the Mirror, Solidarity/Spring Tide, Burn, and maybe permission based control like Landstill.
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

That's pretty hawt tech actually. I could see this thing doing something insane in the Thresh mirror.

Bryant Cook

Alright. I guess I should say what Shitlist has been doing with the deck, Now that Kadilak's Dual land Draft 2 is over. Mr.Nightmare and I, have been working on 4c gro. We both ended up 4-2. 4 colors? No, not U/g/r/w that's awful, not to mention unnessesary. We've had a different approach U/g/w/b and U/g/r/b. Turn's out Dark Confidant's crazy card advantage system was too good to pass up. Here's what I've been messing around with.
    // Lands
    4 [B] Volcanic Island
    3 [R] Tropical Island
    3 [ON] Flooded Strand
    2 [B] Underground Sea
    3 [ON] Polluted Delta
    2 [OV] Island

// Creatures
    1 [JU] Fledgling Dragon
    4 [OD] Werebear
    4 [OD] Nimble Mongoose
    3 [RAV] Dark Confidant

// Spells
    4 [OD] Predict
    4 [FD] Serum Visions
    4 [MM] Brainstorm
    4 [R] Lightning Bolt
    4 [FD] Magma Jet
    4 [AL] Force of Will
    3 [NE] Daze
    3 [MM] Counterspell
    2 [OD] Ghastly Demise

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 2 [WL] Phyrexian Furnace
    SB: 4 [OV] Pyroclasm
    SB: 2 [ON] Naturalize
    SB: 2 [B] Winter Orb
    SB: 2 [LE] Withered Wretch

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

2 [b] Underground Sea
    SB: 2 [LE] Withered Wretch
    Wtf? Awful.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Diablos
    Wtf? Awful.
    Does the thresh mirror have wasteland? Unless you're living in germany playing against 4c gro, It doesn't matter. It cost BB you have BB, end of story.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

It's worse against Goblins. In testing I had you dead to rights if you didn't draw THREE clasms. Now Goblins actually has a decent shot at cutting you off of red. It's also worse in the mirror because it ads to color screw issues. The ONLY reason you went 4-2 and I went 1-4 is because you got to play good matchups after you went 0-2(Zompy, Goblins, 2x Solidarity).
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost
    It's worse against Goblins. In testing I had you dead to rights if you didn't draw THREE clasms. Now Goblins actually has a decent shot at cutting you off of red. It's also worse in the mirror because it ads to color screw issues. The ONLY reason you went 4-2 and I went 1-4 is because you got to play good matchups after you went 0-2(Zompy, Goblins, 2x Solidarity).
    Wasteland is an issue. I banked on not seeing them in numbers during this event, and it worked out, the only match I saw them in was vs. Dirt, and I lost. Its actually a metagame call. The bonus of playing with Bob is really great, but if you are in a field with Wastelands prevalent, 4 colors may be a stretch.

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

About time you guys made it public that you jumped on the "Bob Wagon". Bob is insane in Gro. You could also board Engineered Plague. That way Goblins really needs to cut you off of 2 Colors.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Bryant Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost
    That's the thing, I wasn't dead if I was holding 3 Clasms I was never near death. Not to mention why fear wasteland? Wasteland is for chumps, I have needle for goblins. Which I didn't even board in against the goblins match-up I played, I had insane Bob adavantage against goblins and won because of it. That and him flipping 2 clasms in a row... The only time you ever fear wasteland is when it's recurring wasteland other than that shake it off and be a man.

@Engineered Plague- Too narrow, to not mention I already have a great goblins match-up. Clasm > Plague in the SB, Clasm deals with randomness.

Thread Information