Thread: [Report] 2nd place @ Kadi's with E!GBRUATSA2K7

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

[Report] 2nd place @ Kadi's with E!GBRUATSA2K7

First of all, a note to those who didn't attend but could've, including those who went to Nationals and scrubbed in side events: Fuck you. Thanks for the low turnout.

That aside, this was still a decent tournament. The metagame was really wierd. I don't have lists and whatnot, but from what I can recall off the top of my head:

3-4 Ichorid
    6-7(!) Survival
    3 Landstill
    2-3 Threshold
    1 Counterslivers
    2 TES
    2-3 Belcher
    3-4 Goblins
    1 Death and Taxes (which has now been renamed "Death and Restitutions")
    2 Aluren
    1 5/3

That's most of it anyway. Now onto what I played:

E!GBRUATSA2K7 (Epic "click" Green Black Red Blue Angry Tradewind Survival Advantage 2007)

4 Survival of the Fittest
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Cabal Therapy

1 Tradewind Rider
    1 Quirion Ranger
    1 Eternal Witness

1 Anger
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1 Genesis

4 Nimble Mongoose
    3 Tarmogoyf
    2 Dark Confidant
    2 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Bone Shredder
    1 Masticore
    1 Tin Street Hooligan
    1 Ravenous Baloth

4 Birds of Paradise
    3 Tinder Wall
    1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary
    3 Windswept Heath
    3 Wooded Foothills
    4 Tropical Island
    4 Bayou
    3 Taiga
    3 Forest

Sideboard:
    3 Duress
    3 Engineered Plague
    1 Goblin Pyromancer
    2 Null Rod
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Sandstorm
    2 Yixlid Jailer

I know, my sideboard was absolutely horrendous. Normally it doesn't look so bad, but I expected a fair amount of Ichorid (and predicted that correctly), and I have serious problems with the deck. Fortunately I didn't run into it. However the maindeck was absolutely phenomenal. I was incredibly consistent all day and I really didn't have too many problems.

Round 1: Cody Mannion (Ta Juggs) playing E!GBRUATSA2K7

Yes, the mirror. I haven't played the mirror since...2004. Nice.

Game 1: I'm on the play, and don't have a Survival, but have a solid opening hand. I open with a Bird and pass, and he has a Wall. Turn 2 I Brainstorm into nothing much, then Therapy on Survival. He doesn't have one and has nothing else threatening, so I flashback taking Brainstorm. He plays some small dudes, and next turn I cast another Therapy nabbing his Gilded Drake, then drop Tarmogoyf. He still stalls out on nothing much, and I play Survival a turn later.

SB: -3 Tinder Wall, -1 Tin Street Hooligan, -1 Nimble Mongoose
    +3 Duress, +2 Krosan Grip

Game 2: He mulls to 5, and as a result I keep a hand of Forest, 2 Therapy, 2 Tarmogoyf, Rofellos, FTK. He opens with a Bird, and I draw Brainstorm. He plays Survival, and I miss my landdrop, drawing a Survival. He's starting to go nuts, and by the time I get my own Survival online, I'm way behind.

Game 3: I have a solid opening hand of 2 land, Bird, Bob, Duress, Tarmogoyf, and some other stuff. I open with a Bird and pass, and he opens with a Wall. I Duress him to see no Survival, and play Bob. He plays a Bob himself and passes. I flip Survival a turn later and go apeshit.

2-1
    1-0

Round 2: Greg Dzidizdtdizchfsd (Nantuko Shady) playing Belcher.

Game 1: He's on the play and thinks for a very long time before deciding to keep. I keep an insane hand with Therapy, Survival, and some other goods. He misses his landdrop and passes. I Therapy for EtW and hit one, and notice he's got an entire hand full of goods, and needs only a win condition. He topdecks Burning Wish and plays EtW for like 14 tokens.

SB: -3 Tinder Wall, -1 Bone Shredder, -2 FTK, -4 Nimble Mongoose
    +3 Duress, +2 Null Rod, +2 Sandstorm, +3 Engineered Plague

Game 2: I Duress him turn 1 and take EtW. He plays Land Grant on his turn and passes. I play Tarmogoyf and pass. He topdecks EtW and makes 8 tokens. I play Survival and pass. He attacks and walks into Sandstorm. I topdeck Null Rod and Tarmy goes the distance.

Game 3: I keep a great hand with Survival, Plague, Tinder Wall, and Duress. I plays a turn 1 Charbelcher, but is one short of activating it. I don't topdeck Null Rod, and he kills me.

3-3
    1-1

Round 3: Geoff Smelski (Konsultant) playing 4c Landstill:

Game 1: He mulls to 6, and I have an good hand with Survival and Therapy. My turn 2 Survival resolves, and he struggles to keep up with the rush of big creatures. He casts Wrath of God a couple times, but StP can't stop the army of Nimble Mongoose.

SB: -2 Tinder Wall, -2 FTK, -1 Bone Shredder
    +3 Duress, +2 Null Rod

Game 2: I have an insane hand with 2 Survivals and a Null Rod. On my turn 2 I lead off with Null Rod rather than Survival due to him running Disenchant. It resolves. My turn 3 Survival is forced, but my turn 4 Survival sticks. He has a difficult time keeping up with it and I have 6/7 Tarmogoyfs smashing for the win.

5-3
    2-1

Round 4: Adam Barnello (Mr. Nightmare) playing Epic UWg Landstill

Game 1: I try for a turn 2 Survival but it is forced, and play some beats. He plucks a Humility and I scoop.

SB: -3 Tinder Wall, -2 FTK, -1 Bone Shredder, -1 Masticore
    +3 Duress, +2 Null Rod, +2 Krosan Grip

Game 2: I cast Therapy turn 2 and resolve a Survival turn 3 while he is stuck on lands being 2 Monastery and a Tropical Island. He Stifles my only creature in hand, and we play draw-go for a while. I don't draw another creature for 7 turns, but in the meantime I draw a Krosan Grip with one already in hand, 4 lands, and 3 more Cabal Therapy. I Therapy the shit out of him (a total of 8 times the entire game), and by the time I draw a creature I go completely nuts on him while having Grip backup.

Game 3: I don't have a Survival, but a ridiculous hand with Duress, and 2 Tarmogoyf. He has a turn 1 Needle on Survival and a Crypt, and I cast Duress turn 1 to see a weak hand. I 3 Therapy and connect, and he Crypts me in response to my Nimble. I get down a 4/5 Tarmogoyfand begin the beats. His draws are weak and I play another Tarmogoyf, and he can't keep up with the onslaught. He eventually gets down a Humility but I have the Grip for it, and I swing in with 5/6 Tarmys.

7-3
    3-1

Round 5: ID
    Due to low turnout it was only 5 rounds. We were like 2 people off of a 6th round.

3-1-1

Top 8 looks like this:

E!GBRUATSA2K7 (me)
    ATS/w (unregged?, he's from Syracuse)
    UGw Threshold (Angel of Despair)
    Ichorid (unregged? Mass. guy)
    Death and Taxes (PhaemmoridArchid sp?)
    Goblins (unregged? Mass guy)
    Belcher (Nantuko Shady)
    4c Landstill (Geoff Smelski)

Top 8: Guy from Mass (sorry I forget name) playing Goblins

Game 1: I open a hand with only one land, but it's ridiculous otherwise. He's on the play and opens with Vial. I have a Bird. He passes the turn, and I have Survival in hand, but play Nimble and Tinder Wall due to fear of eot Lackey. He plays a Warchief and passes, and I FTK it the following turn. He plays a Matron for Ringleader and flips a Pyromancer. From then on I tempt him into playing him, but he doesn't (or does he...read on :) ). I get a Quirion Ranger and Rofellos, and get a threshed Mongoose. He plays a Warchief then a Ringleader, but passes the turn rather than attacking, for the Mongoose brings fear. Next turn I Bone Shredder the Warchief and pass. He vials another Ringleader, then casts Matrong for Piledriver. I pay the echo on Bone Shredder, and play another Mongoose. Now he fucks up. His creatures in play are Piledriver, 2 Ringleader, and 2 Matron. Mine are 2 Mongoose, Bone Shredder, Rofellos, and Ranger. He vials Goblin Pyromancer, then plays Goblin King and swings. I promptly return my Taiga to hand, untapping Rofellos. He apparently forgot I could do that. I block his team and take 10 from the Matrons going down to 6, and he loses his board. Next turn I Tin Street his Vial, and a long time passes. I build up a defense and sit on 2 Tarmogoyf, an FTK, and 3 Mongeese. Then I play Masticore, draw some more lands, blow up his board, and beat for like 30. He made a number of play mistakes in the game, but I can't remember them all. I also forgot some stuff here, but that's accurate for the most part.

SB: -2 Dark Confidant, -4 Brainstorm, -1 Tradewind Rider
    +3 Engineered Plague, +2 Sandstorm, +2 Null Rod

Game 2: He opens with a Lackey, and I have Nimble. He plays a land and passes. I swing, and drop another Nimble. He misses the land drop, and plays EE for 1. I swing for 1, and drop a mighty 1/2 Tarmogoyf. He Pyrokenesis the Goyf, and blows EE. I drop Engineered Plague and pass. He plays Piledriver, then I play Rofellos. He misses his land drop and passes. I play FTK on Piledriver and pass. He plays a Vial and says go. I beat for 6. He plays a Warchief and Piledriver and swings and walks into Sandstorm. I play an Anger next turn and beat with FTK, Rofellos, and Anger beating him down to 6. He doesn't have any outs and I kill with bad creatures.

9-3
    4-1-1

Top 4: Brian Thomas (unregged?) ATS/w

Game 1: I play Bird go, and he does the same. I Therapy turn 2 to see a weak hand, and play a Survival. I go completely apeshit and he doesn't.

SB: -3 Tinder Wall, -1 Tin Street Hooligan, -1 Brainstorm
    +3 Duress, +2 Krosan Grip

Game 2: He mulligans, and I keep a hand of Fetchland, 2 Tarmogoyf, Duress, Nimble, 2 Brainstorm. He plays a Bird and says go. I fetch for Bayou and Duress hitting an Enlightened Tutor. He plays another Birds says go. I don't draw a land for the rest of the game, and he draws a Tradewind Rider.

Game 3: I keep a hand of 2 land, Bob, Duress, Krosan Grip, Bird, Brainstorm. I play Bird turn 1 and pass. He plays Bird as well. I Duress turn 2 to see a Survival and an Enlightened Tutor, and take Survival then play Bob. He Tutors on upkeep and plays Survival. I draw a land and a Survival and Krosan Grip his. He doesn't see much more and I play Survival and go retarded with 3 5/6 Tarmogoyfs.

11-4
    5-1-1

Finals: Geoff Smelski (Konsultant) with 4c Landstill

I made the mistake of not splitting. As everyone knows, people who win the swiss never beat the opponent in the top8. At least that's the case with everyone I know. I opted to play because I destroyed him in the swiss.

Game 1: I have a Survival in hand, but nothing else. He Forces my Survival and I draw nothing but crap for the rest of the game and his card advantage is overwhelming.

SB: See before.

Game 2: I have a strong hand with Ranger, Bob, Therapy, Brainstorm, and some other stuff. I open with Ranger and say go. He plays Tundra go. I attack, and he lets it through. Generally he StP my Ranger because it does bad things to his Wastelands, but he lets it slide. For this reason I didn't Therapy him. I play Bob and he StPs him. Fucker. Next turn I Therapy him and stick a Survival, but he plays EE. I flashback Therapy and whiff because he played 2 eot Brainstorm. I'm light on land and Survival for only Squee and attempt a Tin Street, but he's forced. He blows EE next turn, and I get Witness. I attempt Witness, and he forces again. Then he Cunning Wishes for Extirpate and nabs my Survivals. The game drags on for a while, and he goes 1-for-1 with all my topdecks. Had I gotten Genesis over Squee, I would've been able to recur all my men and win the game, but alas I didn't due to lack of mana. He ends up killing me with an Eternal Dragon.

11-6
    4-2-1

POST-TOURNAMENT SHENANIGENS

Along with Bryant, Kadi, and Rich (onlyone), we tag along with the Rochester crew consisting of Quicksilver, Phil Stolze, Ta Jugs, Nantuko Shady, and Zach Fine to Chilis. It was amazing. I ate 3 people's meals, and there was overall awesomeness. I even witnessed Phil Stolze successfully use a pitcher of water to pour two glasses at the same time. Hopefully someone has a picture of it to post that amazing feat. Table conversation was amazing as well. Those who were not there missed the greatest thing ever to happen ever. Fools.

Props:

- Me. My hard work payed off.
    - Survival. This card is seriously underrated right now.
    - Massachusetts crew. Thank you for showing up.
    - Team Necro. You guys are pretty cool in real life. Wierd saying that...
    - Chilis.
    - Rochester crew, and more Chilis awesomeness.
    - Geoff Smelski. Nice work. It was time you beat me after my recent thrashings of you, your deck, and your dignity.
    - My top8 Goblins opponent. Thanks for the free Wrath of God.

Slops:
    - Pairings. Thanks for putting EPIC v. EPIC every round and knocking each other out.
    - Tournament advertising. I blame you for a terrible turnout.
    - Sunday. I blame you too.
    - Virginia. Fucking Nationals over us, more importantly me? It's time you get your priorities straight.
    - Combo decks.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Re: [Report] 2nd place @ Kadi's with E!GBRUATSA2K7

Congrats on the win, you've been long overdue.

Sorry I couldn't make it myself.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

YES WE CAN
    Sep 2005
    GMU

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Slops:
    - Tournament advertising. I blame you for a terrible turnout.
    - Virginia. Fucking Nationals over us, more importantly [i]me[i]? It's time you get your priorities straight.
    Maybe if the tournament hadn't been on a Sunday, VA could have shown up and dominated, maintaining the natural order of the world.
    TEAM DRAGONFORCIA-
    Ghost ridin' the whip like we invented that shit.
    TEAM UNICORN
    We're going for number four!

Leroy Rochester
    Jun 2004
    Cabrini–Green

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Geoff Smelski (kronicler)
    Geoff is not kronicler.
    My only dream is that yours never come true.
    "People played violin as the Titanic sank. Tomorrow they will play Green Day songs with plastic keytars as their Hoovervilles burn."

Apr 2006
    Nashville, TN

Congratulation's on the win. Nice Job.

I thought the tournament went pretty well for the people that actually showed up. I wish a little more support from Syracuse was there as we were missing some players. What's up with all the combo decks?

Does this mean I have to actually joined the dark side and play fuckin' combo?
    ~Shriek~

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Geoff is not kronicler.
    Oops, I got the word mixed up. His source handle is Konsultant, not kronicler. Fixed.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Geoff is not kronicler.
    Yeah, Kronicler lives in California, and his name is Sam.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information