Page 457 of 533 FirstFirst ... 357407447453454455456457458459460461467507 ... LastLast
Results 9,121 to 9,140 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Recruiter is the best late-game top deck we have, especially when you have a pair of Vials. Even if you don't have any silver bullets to fetch, you get absurd lines like:

Cast Recruiter getting Flickerwisp
    Vial in Flickerwisp, blinking Recruiter.
    Get Stoneforge, Vial in Stoneforge, grab a piece of equipment.

This utility alone (the "army in a can" effect) would be worth the two slots. It also serves as a copy of your best cards in the slower matchups and your hate cards in combo matchups. It's a consistency card in a deck that doesn't have too much of that sort of thing. Like any card in our deck, it has its strengths and weaknesses. It will get boarded out in plenty of matchups. That doesn't mean you should leave the card out of the deck for tempo reasons. We are a control deck. We want the game to go long. Recruiter's value gets better as the game goes long.

I think recruiters shine in the grindy match ups but suck against aggro or tempo. Recruiters plus vials equals a flickerwisp army. This is just my view as D&T newbie (just one week of experience). Would you guys recommend more avengers over crusaders in a meta with more eldrazi?

@Phil
    agreed. thats why i still run 1. the upsides are absolutely worth at least 1 slot,imo.

regarding avenger vs crusader:
    i recommend both. but against eldrazi specifically,yes, i think avenger is more important/better in this MU, aside from the occasional dismember that crusader could dodge. but those are rare corner cases. overall flying is very important vs them.

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

I still run two Recruiter maindeck and am usually happy to see him (uh...her), particularly when games go long.

I do find I typically side him out in fast combo matchups though; even though he can help find hate pieces I'd rather emphasize speed and make room, but at the expense of sometimes needing to mulligan more aggressively.

@cheerios

Avenger comes down quickly off Vial and lets you sometimes take the role of aggressor away from your opponent. It's great in the matchup. Crusader isn't necessarily a bad card either though. It walls the small threats and trades with a Thought-Knot. I'd look at your metagame as a whole and figure out which would be better rather than focusing just on Eldrazi.

@medea

I agree. I managed to reach the semifinals of a 5 round event last weekend playing a 2 crusader and 2 avenger split. I lost to bug delver and infect. This was my second tourney with the deck and had several misplays during the day. Sowap was great all day. I used it vs mono red sneak, and lands.

Jan 2017
    Batavia, IL

Sword of War and Peace won me $50 at our local monthly Legacy; beat Grixis Delver, Red Stompy, Elves, and UW Standstill.
    Last edited by ChrisCunningham; 12-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Something something SoWaP is the truth, something something...

Jan 2017
    Batavia, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    Something something SoWaP is the truth, something something...
    This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, but the decks I saw this weekend were almost all red, white, and combo:

Czech Pile, Elves, Red Stompy, Grixis Delver, Sneak and Show, Storm, UW Standstill, Goblins, Food Chain, Soul Sisters

Would you consider playing a 4th equip main here or moving the Batterskull to the sideboard or something else to play War and Peace main?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCunningham View Post
    This is more of a thought exercise than anything else, but the decks I saw this weekend were almost all red, white, and combo:

Czech Pile, Elves, Red Stompy, Grixis Delver, Sneak and Show, Storm, UW Standstill, Goblins, Food Chain, Soul Sisters

Would you consider playing a 4th equip main here or moving the Batterskull to the sideboard or something else to play War and Peace main?
    Would I consider it? Absolutely. Would I pull the trigger on it? Probably not. I feel like there's enough Eldarzi and Delver running around right now that I want to have the Batterskull as a life gain crutch; I don't like Batterskull, but it has its role. The last time I pulled the trigger on SoWaP in the main was when Miracles was EVERYWHERE and the pro-white was super relevant there in addition to all of the normal uses of the card. I don't think that you'd get punished for the change though; there's enough of the mirror around where you'll mise a bunch of game 1 wins off that.

new to DnT

is there a equipment fetching order you prefer when playing Stoneforge against blue decks? i.e. Miracles, Delver, and Czech Pile

Likely Sword of Fire and Ice.

Phil's written a post about fetching equipment on his site:

http://www.thrabenuniversity.com/?page_id=43

because Gideon, is still so preferred not SB instead of Cataclysm? It seems he's only good when we're ahead. Do not have the same ability to reset the game

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Apologies as I know this has been posted earlier but can’t seem to find it. Can you vial in a containment priest or will it exile itself? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oogway View Post
    Apologies as I know this has been posted earlier but can’t seem to find it. Can you vial in a containment priest or will it exile itself? Thanks
    It won't exile itself.

Alright this nyx fic deck is running rampant in my meta.
    I've tried keeping hands with a combination of Pithing Needle, Thalia, and Revoker pee and post side board. I name volraths stronghold with Pithing Needle, Revoker 1 names pernicious deed, and Revoker 2 names garruk relentless. However, any number of these things is not enough of a clock to kill him before the impending hard cast of overwhelming splendor. I've also sided in both surgical and rest in piece but cabal therapy just rips it out of your hand.

Any help would be nice.
    Using Tapatalk

Aug 2016
    Charlotte, NC

Quote Originally Posted by G0R3F3ST View Post
    Alright this nyx fic deck is running rampant in my meta.
    I've tried keeping hands with a combination of Pithing Needle, Thalia, and Revoker pee and post side board. I name volraths stronghold with Pithing Needle, Revoker 1 names pernicious deed, and Revoker 2 names garruk relentless. However, any number of these things is not enough of a clock to kill him before the impending hard cast of overwhelming splendor. I've also sided in both surgical and rest in piece but cabal therapy just rips it out of your hand.

Any help would be nice.
    Exile the Academy Rector with the exile trigger on the stack. Surgical Extraction works, Faerie Macabre works, Rest in Peace shuts it all down (and I think even shuts down Veteran Explorer too but I'm not 100% sure on that one).

While Veteran Explorer is a "dies" trigger, Rector must be exiled from the graveyard after it dies. Therefore if it doesn't make it to the graveyard, or if you remove it otherwise before the trigger can be resolved, the opponent will not get tutor effect.

EDIT: Here's is Rector's text on Gatherer:
    When Academy Rector dies, you may exile it. If you do, search your library for an enchantment card, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    Exile the Academy Rector with the exile trigger on the stack. Surgical Extraction works, Faerie Macabre works, Rest in Peace shuts it all down (and I think even shuts down Veteran Explorer too but I'm not 100% sure on that one).

While Veteran Explorer is a "dies" trigger, Rector must be exiled from the graveyard after it dies. Therefore if it doesn't make it to the graveyard, or if you remove it otherwise before the trigger can be resolved, the opponent will not get tutor effect.

EDIT: Here's is Rector's text on Gatherer:
    When Academy Rector dies, you may exile it. If you do, search your library for an enchantment card, put that card onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
    "Dying" trigger means it needs to hit the graveyard. If it gets exiled instead it never dies and thus never triggers. Long story short, you are right about explorers also being shut down by RIP.

The best way to combat that deck is really to hit the graveyard. Consider it like a slower more controllish reanimator deck but instead of bringing back creatures they bring back enchantments. Without their graveyard the deck is really terrible (it's impossible to get enough mana to hardcast those enchants without explorer).

Jan 2017
    Batavia, IL

Hi friends, just looking for some fringe advice here. The last match of my last league, my opponent went:

Game 1 on the play: Chrome Mox exiling Griselbrand, Ritual, Entomb, Animate Dead Griselbrand, Draw 7, Unmask targetting me exiling another Ritual. I conceded since I was 0% to win and no reason to reveal my deck.

I boarded out my Stoneforges, equipment, and 3 Flickerwisps for a flurry of hate and removal (2 Path, 2 Canonist, 3 RiP, 1 Faerie, 2 Containment Priest).

Game 2, I opened with Vial; he T1 Thoughtseized my removal spell leaving me with 3 sideboard haymakers and played T2 Pack Rat. I managed to just barely port him out of making all the Pack Rats and win with a Mirran Crusader. However, SFM would have been the perfect card against someone trying to go Thoughtseize -> Pack Rat, so he got me. I guess?

I assume he will go all-in reanimator again since he is on the play Game 3 so I leave my sideboarding as is. Normally I would consider cutting Moms or Crusaders but they are a good hedge against Pack Rat... I guess...?

Game 3 I kept StP, Faerie Macabre, RiP, Canonist, Port, Plains, Plains. He played T1 Ritual, Thoughtseize my StP (!!), Pack Rat. He then hit running basics and I couldn't keep up; my port only delayed him by a turn and in the end my few 2/2s ended up chumping or trading with his 3/3s and I had almost no relevant lategame in my deck.

--

What would you do differently? Is this deck a known quantity? Do you think in hindsight that the Pack Rats were maindeck?

Thanks for any wisdom. I think one of the underrated challenges of this deck is the skill to "sight-read" pilot it correctly against plays you don't see often.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCunningham View Post
    Hi friends, just looking for some fringe advice here. The last match of my last league, my opponent went:

Game 1 on the play: Chrome Mox exiling Griselbrand, Ritual, Entomb, Animate Dead Griselbrand, Draw 7, Unmask targetting me exiling another Ritual. I conceded since I was 0% to win and no reason to reveal my deck.

I boarded out my Stoneforges, equipment, and 3 Flickerwisps for a flurry of hate and removal (2 Path, 2 Canonist, 3 RiP, 1 Faerie, 2 Containment Priest).

Game 2, I opened with Vial; he T1 Thoughtseized my removal spell leaving me with 3 sideboard haymakers and played T2 Pack Rat. I managed to just barely port him out of making all the Pack Rats and win with a Mirran Crusader. However, SFM would have been the perfect card against someone trying to go Thoughtseize -> Pack Rat, so he got me. I guess?

I assume he will go all-in reanimator again since he is on the play Game 3 so I leave my sideboarding as is. Normally I would consider cutting Moms or Crusaders but they are a good hedge against Pack Rat... I guess...?

Game 3 I kept StP, Faerie Macabre, RiP, Canonist, Port, Plains, Plains. He played T1 Ritual, Thoughtseize my StP (!!), Pack Rat. He then hit running basics and I couldn't keep up; my port only delayed him by a turn and in the end my few 2/2s ended up chumping or trading with his 3/3s and I had almost no relevant lategame in my deck.

--

What would you do differently? Is this deck a known quantity? Do you think in hindsight that the Pack Rats were maindeck?

Thanks for any wisdom. I think one of the underrated challenges of this deck is the skill to "sight-read" pilot it correctly against plays you don't see often.
    I would have identified your opponent as being on the Unmask version of Tin Fins that has been running around. It's possible they were actually some sort of budget mono black reanimator as well. I would not have expected a Pack Rat at all, and Pack Rat seems like a card that should be pretty beatable given our Revokers, StP, Flickerwisps, Crusaders... Either way, I would have focused on beating the graveyard aspect of the deck.

Thread Information