Page 412 of 533 FirstFirst ... 312362402408409410411412413414415416422462512 ... LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Not to mention Aether Vial. Also, Batterskull has been fantastic for me too. And Revokers.

Creature (26)

3x Flickerwisp
    1x Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    2x Magus of the Moon
    4x Mother of Runes
    1x Mirran Crusader
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    2x Recruiter of the Guard
    1x Sanctum Prelate
    1x Spirit of the Labyrinth
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

Instant (4)

4x Swords to Plowshares

Artifact (7)

4x Aether Vial
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

Land (23)

4x Cavern of Souls
    1x Flooded Strand
    2x Karakas
    1x Marsh Flats
    6x Plains
    1x Plateau
    3x Rishadan Port
    1x Scrubland
    4x Wasteland

Sideboard (15)

2x Containment Priest
    2x Council's Judgment
    3x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Kambal, Consul of Allocation
    1x Orzhov Pontiff
    2x Path to Exile
    1x Pithing Needle
    2x Rest in Peace
    1x Spirit of the Labyrinth

I ran this and a similar list on Saturday and Monday and had modestly good results with both lists. It doesn't have all the craziness of playing multiple Chalice in the main, but it runs 3 color humans fairly easily and still manages to fit 6 plains in the deck so making white under blood moon isn't much of an issue. I'm still adjusting things like Kambal, which I like - but only when playing against Delver and/or Storm, so don't take the list for any sort of authoritative statement other than an example of being able to run 3 color humans without dropping down to something like 3 Plains in the whole deck.

I like the idea of Kambal, but does it come down quickly enough against combo?

I have not had a whole lot of testing with him in general, but he was initially added as a 1-of to the SB to shore up the Burn MU just a bit because having a little extra lifegain is always nice. I ended up throwing a second one in the main because a friend had 2 and I was trying it out anyway.

Obviously he would be slow, but have solid implications against a deck like Storm, where he is yet-another-disruptive-piece. He is definitely a bit slow at 3 mana, but that is often fast enough against ANT. TES seems to be more in style currently and I don't think there's a whole lot that we WANT to be doing that is relevant in that MU.

Where I found Kambal REALLY shines is against Delver and Czech Pile lists. Anything that is going to be constantly Brainstorming, Pondering, and casting lots of low mana-cost, low impact cards. I had a particular game on Saturday where my Delver Opponent had an unflipped Delver and Young Pyro on his side, I had Thalia and Kambal and was immediately thinking "yeah, I'd take that trade" and swung in with both, he couldn't give me a 2-for-1 fast enough. At least with 1 day of experience, Delver player seem to be super scared of the card while I see it as just some random value piece. Leaning away from having him in the MD though, I think he doesn't pull his weight against enough decks to justify his slot there, I could be underestimating how much he's worth against Delver though...

Also pretty sure the Spirit in the main is becoming a Canonist since Elves, Food Chain, and Aluren are all major contenders in the meta moving forward.

I jammed a bunch of games against Dredge tonight with the 3 color list. 2-2 preboard and 3-2 postboard. Sparkmage in particular was an MVP at getting Bridges out of the yard, and Pontiff ate a team of Narcomeba and Ichorids a couple of times.

This is where I've ended up:

Lands
    4 Wasteland
    2 Rishadan Port
    1 Scrubland
    1 Arid Mesa
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Flooded Strand
    4 Windswept Heath
    3 Plains
    2 Plateau
    2 Karakas
    Creatures
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Magus of the Moon
    3 Flickerwisp
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    Other Spells
    2 Blessed Alliance
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull
    Sideboard:
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Cunning Sparkmage
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    1 Manic Vandal
    1 Manriki-Gusari
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Palace Jailer

Can we play a list that slants heavier towards black so that we can mitigate the damage of maindeck Dismembers or is that just not worth it?

Also, speaking of the color Black, I am going to try out a singleton Devout Lightcaster in the sideboard. Hitting of Dread of Nights seems appealing but being able to hit Anglers, Strix, and DRS has its appeal too. Only problem with Lightcaster is that its a Kor. :/

I really didn't like Dismember against Burn and Delver strategies, hence my recent lists with Blessed Alliance. Even with a couple more black sources, you'll still take 4 the vast majority of the time.

Also, that card is WWW. WWW, you madman!!!

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Quote Originally Posted by gh0st_b1rd View Post
    Can we play a list that slants heavier towards black so that we can mitigate the damage of maindeck Dismembers or is that just not worth it?

Also, speaking of the color Black, I am going to try out a singleton Devout Lightcaster in the sideboard. Hitting of Dread of Nights seems appealing but being able to hit Anglers, Strix, and DRS has its appeal too. Only problem with Lightcaster is that its a Kor. :/
    I could get behind playing black for some combination of Orzhov Pontiff, Tidehollow, Confidant, and/or Kambal in the main. Also open to DRS, Thoughtseize, ZP, and Perish in the 75. Perish helps problematic midrange matchups + Elves.

Sam S
    Dec 2011
    Newmarket, ON

Quote Originally Posted by Warden View Post
    I could get behind playing black for some combination of Orzhov Pontiff, Tidehollow, Confidant, and/or Kambal in the main. Also open to DRS, Thoughtseize, ZP, and Perish in the 75. Perish helps problematic midrange matchups + Elves.
    Reminds me of vial Dead Guy, with scullers

I played the three color deck again last night. I 3-1'd, with wins against Lands, Dredge, and Merfolk. I lost a very close set against Enchantress, but my opponent was all but locked out of both games they managed to win; he had to win by casting spells into Chalice just to draw cards, ultimately finding Sigil of the Empty Throne to make Angels.

The splash offered some really great utility. Magus stole a game against Lands that I had no business otherwise winning. My opponent didn't return their P. Fire to hand in response to a Vial activation, and Magus came down to cut off those shenanigans. Cunning Sparkmage is an MVP at both removing Bridge from Below and picking off opposing threats against Lands. Pontiff absolutely wrecked Merfolk; I Flickered their only lord and then wiped two or three creatures off the board. Pontiff was able to get Argothian Enchantress off the table.

I'll certainly be playing this splash build this weekend for my Team Constructed event. It has been performing very well.

Have you dropped the Tombs yet, or are you still making up your mind?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Have you dropped the Tombs yet, or are you still making up your mind?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    list

Hey! This is my first time posting on this thread so bare with me. Although, I've been stalking this thread since conspiracy 2 spoilers. I have been playing the deck ever since then.

I went to a GPTQ yesterday at Paragon City Games. Where I did very lackluster with a 2-4-0 record.

Decklist: 60

Lands: 23
    Wasteland X4
    Rishadan Port X4
    Cavern of souls X2
    Karakas X3
    Plains X10

Creatures: 26
    Mother of Runes x4
    Thalia, Guardian of Thrones x4
    Stoneforge Mystic X4
    Phyrexian Revoker X3
    Serra Avenger X1
    Recruiter of the Guard X2
    Flickerwisp X4
    Mirran Crusader X2
    Sanctum Prelate X1
    Orzhov Pontiff X1

Sideboard: 15
    Pithing Needle X1
    Grafdigger's Cage X1
    Manikin-Gusari X1
    Path to exile X2
    Rest in Piece X2
    Containment Priest X1
    Ethersworn Canonist X2
    Orzhov Pontiff X1
    Councils Judgement X2
    Gideon, Ally of Zendikar X2

I will post a tournament report in a little bit.
    Using Tapatalk

I would say just keep practicing this deck. Your decklist looks pretty stock and its a harder deck to play than it seems on paper.

This was my first time playing at this store. I went into the tournament. Now that I know they have weekly legacy tournaments. I'll be going a lot more even though it's a 45 min. Drive.

I went into this tournament expecting to play against: the mirror match, elves, stoneblade decks, bug leovold, and delver decks. Little did I know I would just get to play against combo decks and cheat big things in turn 2/3.

Round 1: 1-2 sneak and show
    Game one: he mulls to 5. I get the lock of Revoker on sneak attack and sanctum prelate on 3.
    Game 2: he turn 2 show and tells a Emrakul. I lose
    Game 3: I had Revoker on sneak attack and containment priest out. I searched up sanctum prelate and pass with no vial and no mana open to cast it on 3. He cast kozilek's return and then sneak attacks in an emrakul.

Round 2: Bye
    Took this time to get some lunch.

Round 3: 1-2 omni-tell
    Game one: turn 2 Emrakul and turn 4 I'm dead.
    Game two: I win through a show and telled Omniscience.
    Game three: He wins through a show and telled omniscience then combos off into release the ants.

Round 4: O-2 tazzarator
    Game one: turn 0 he puts in 2 leylines of the void into play. Then he plays a bunch of mana rocks. I play land pass with Revoker in hand. Turn 2 he plays helm of obedience with plenty of mana to activate.
    Game two: I play land and a vial pass. He plays land and chalice on 1.I drop Thalia. He plays mana rocks. I do nothing but attack for a few turns. He plays a blue 1/4 creature from Kaladesh that draws him a card. If he has the highest cmc artifact. I exiled it immediately. He also has a red enchantment from origins that taps two artifacts to deal 1 dam. To target creature. He shoots down all my creatures with that card. I almost stabilized with a Gideon, but he then plays thopter foundry and sword of the meek. I scoop it up after that.

Round 5: 2-0 burn
    Game 1: he drops a grim lavamancer activates it a couple of times. He burns me a couple of times, but then he runs out of gas, I have 7 life. I drop Thalia and stoneforge. Swing with batterskull. He scoops it up.
    Game 2: keeps one land hand doesn't draw any lands. turn 3 I drop Thalia with Karakas back up. He scoops it up.

Round 6: 1-2 charbelcher
    Game 1: turn 1 make 18 goblins.
    Game 2:I go land pass. he drops taiga, LEDx2, and lotus petal X2 and passes. I drop Revoker on LED. He plays red mana spells and sacs his lotus petals to play goblin charbelcher. I top deck wasteland and get rid of taiga. He can't activate charbelcher so I eventually get the kill.
    Game 3: I play Thalia instead of Revoker on charbelcher. He has exactly enough to cast charbelcher and activate. I lose.

Aftermath:
    I felt I played pretty well but all those game one steals the combo decks had, I felt like was just playing from behind the whole day. I'm going to put my surgicals back in the board and probably add another containment priest.
    Using Tapatalk

That looks like a meta where you want 2x Ratchet Bombs in the SB and a another Prelate or two in the maindeck. I always play at least two copies main because of the paranoia of playing vs Show and Tell decks.

I'll write it up in detail later, but I top 4'd our team constructed event with the 3 color build. Another player also top 4'd with the three color build (the original one I proposed with the Restoration Angel still in it). If you think the mirror is bad, just wait until you play the mirror when you both have Pingers and Pontiffs...

Are you pretty sure at this point that mainboarding a playset a Chalice is where we need to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    I'll write it up in detail later, but I top 4'd our team constructed event with the 3 color build. Another player also top 4'd with the three color build (the original one I proposed with the Restoration Angel still in it). If you think the mirror is bad, just wait until you play the mirror when you both have Pingers and Pontiffs...

Quote Originally Posted by Manik33 View Post
    Are you pretty sure at this point that mainboarding a playset a Chalice is where we need to be?
    Nope! I can say that it is working fine for me, but it's not like my build is without weaknesses. You give up the best removal spell in the format when you go and play Chalice. You also lose some generic beater creatures in return for a better toolbox and an 'I win' button in Magus of the Moon. I would be comfortable playing this list if I was going to the Team Constructed Open, I can say that much (especially if I had byes).

Jun 2015
    NYC

Here's where I'm at post-Miracles. I went 4-0 at my weekly with it. I like this list a lot.

4 Thalia
    4 Sfm
    4 Mom
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Revoker
    2 Recruiter
    2 Avenger
    2 Magus
    1 Prelate
    1 Palace Jailer
    1 Vryn Wingmare
    4 STP / 4 Vial / 3 Equip