Page 202 of 533 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206212252302 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

In my experience testing with it, Firewalker > COP
    Can be vialed, gain life and is simply amazing.
    Got 2 in my board for this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Kayradis View Post
    In my experience testing with it, Firewalker > COP
    Can be vialed, gain life and is simply amazing.
    Got 2 in my board for this weekend.
    I think if I were to play at the GP, my board would be:

2 Kor Firewalker
    1 Circle of Protection: Red
    2 Sunlance
    1 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    2 Cataclysm
    2 Ethersworn Canonist

I think winning the UR matchup is really important to be able to do well at this event.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Apr 2013
    Philadelphia

I like Firewalker better than CoP Red simply because CoP Red is too slow for UR Delver, which is the most common deck in the meta. Warmth is also fine, though I wouldn't bring it in against UR Delver, only Burn.

I top 32'd Eternal Weekend after losing my win and in for top 8 in Round 9, and I went 4-0 against UR Delver on the day.

I am changing my list considerably in both the main and side, but my sideboard cards for UR are probably going to be:
    2 Absolute Law (IMO better against Pyroclasm, Forked Bolt, Electrickery as bolts to the face aren't as relevant as bolts to your entire team)
    2 Chalice of the Void
    1 Ratchet Bomb

Yes, D&T does play 12 1-CMC spells (Vial, Swords, and Mom), but we cannot cast Chalice on turn 1, so typically we can cast a 1-CMC on T1 or T2 and jam CotV on T2 or T3 depending on the situation. There is simply no better card in the format against their deck with 30 1 CMC spells. Chalice won me multiple games against delver lists, and they have to keep Force of Will in against you and have it, or they just lose the game.

Chalice is also amazing against Elves, Burn, Storm, and Reanimator.

Its almost 3 am and I'm having this crazy thought that I might play D & T this weekend. It just seems so well positioned right now. UR players are definitely bringing in Electrickery but I was surprised at how poorly that matchup felt from the UR perspective. They will assuredly bring in Pithing Needle and maybe Null Rod do we bother trying to answer those cards?

Mar 2014
    Irvine, Ca

I just went 5-0 against uwr stoneblade if it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by endqwerty View Post
    I just went 5-0 against uwr stoneblade if it helps.
    With Delver's or the list that recently won the SCG Open?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rlesko View Post
    With Delver's or the list that recently won the SCG Open?
    Stoneblade is the UWR Dig Through Time list, Rudy plays I imagine. The other is UWR Delver.

Mar 2014
    Irvine, Ca

Stoneblade has the digs. Stoneblade is not the delver list.

Overall i did well against uwr stoneblade and uwr delver. Had more trouble with the delver deck because of the quicker clock and forked bolts. Infect was also annoying because of the immediate threats that come out quickly. Blighted agent was probably the most annoying card. Best I could hope for was turn 1 vial into turn 2 swords with a turn 3 vial in stoneforge while spending my mana somehow. The matchup against infect seem to be how quickly you can establosh a board presence with jitte out. Once jitte is out life is much easier.

Good luck to all the Death & Taxes pilots this weekend at GP New Jersey! And more importantly, have fun!

Do note Caleb Durward's most recent article on CFB. No Dazes, TONS of burn spells.

absolute law is pretty nice vs UR delver if you are willing to go that far

Jun 2014
    Moorhead MN

Hello,

I usually lurk here and just read. I've been playing D&T for a while now and don't think I'll ever take it apart. I got to play in GP New Jersey this weekend and managed to make it to 12-2 before I lost my win-and-in to Dan Jordan to finish right on the cusp at 32nd.

I played this list:

9x Plains
    4x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland
    3x Karakas
    2x Cavern of Souls
    1x Flagstones of Trokair

4x AEther Vial
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

4x Mother of Runes
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Flickerwisp
    3x Serra Avenger
    1x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    2x Spirit of the Labyrinth
    1x Aven Mindsensor

SIDEBOARD
    3x Containment Priest
    1x Council's Judgment
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x grafdiggers cage
    2x kor firewalker
    1x sun lance
    2x cataclysm
    1x pithing needle
    1x manriki

I played, in order:

Day 1

Burn (0-2), Elves (2-0), Bant lands/farmville (2-0), Monoblack Pox (2-0), UWR delver/blade w/true name (2-1), 4 color stoneblade without red and heavy green for ??? (1-2), U/R Delver (2-1), Storm (2-0), Burn (2-0)

Day two

D&T (2-1), BUG Delver (2-1)

Round 3 I wanted to touch on:
    UWR Delver Blade (2-1) this guy was a class act. We had three awesome games, went to time. I missed a jitte trigger that would have allowed lethal damage and could only get him to 2 on turn 4 of 5. He conceded to me in turn 5 and let me take a run at it. I am very thankful.

Sneak and Show (2-1), Sneak and Show (2-1), U/R Delver (1-2)

All in all a good time. I used every card in the sideboard multiple times. If I could change anything, I would cut a phyrexian revoker for a 2nd minscensor in the main. Bird-wizard did work all day and at least trys to trade with delver. I will also be working on find something (BRimaz) to take the spot of SOFI. I never wanted it any match.

I might also switch RIP with Relic

My strategy for the U/R delver matchup: Side out revoker, vial, batterskull . Side in sun lance, RIP, containment priest, kor firewalker, ethersworn!!!!<- best card in the match.
    Don't even try to play with their mana unless you have nothing to do. Don't waste them you'd rather have the lands. (and it feeds cruise)

Jam creatures and run them out of cards. D&T creatures are just better than UR delver creatures and you have more of them. Save you removal for Young pyromancer and try to fight delver with flyers until you have to sunlance/STP them. This worked well for me in testing and in rounds until I punted by forgetting about electricery damage on ethersworn and blocked a 1/1.......such a bad feeling.

Cavern on Soldier does work on KOR, thalia, birmaz and turning off their smash to smithereens by siding out artifacts for blockers and threats is very good. I found that stoneforge, grab jitte, then never deploy it unless you're gauranteed a connection is awesome. They'll float smash for turn and turns is all D&T needs.

Hot tech from the D&T mirror guy: Jotun Grunt is a house in the U/R delver mirror. two burn spells or they never get to cruise!

Thanks for reading and to everyone that was there to make this a great event.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Hello,

I usually lurk here and just read. I've been playing D&T for a while now and don't think I'll ever take it apart. I got to play in GP New Jersey this weekend and managed to make it to 12-2 before I lost my win-and-in to Dan Jordan to finish right on the cusp at 32nd.

I played this list:

9x Plains
    4x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland
    3x Karakas
    2x Cavern of Souls
    1x Flagstones of Trokair

4x AEther Vial
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

4x Mother of Runes
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Flickerwisp
    3x Serra Avenger
    1x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1x Aven Mindsensor

SIDEBOARD
    3x Containment Priest
    1x Council's Judgment
    1x Rest in Peace
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x grafdiggers cage
    2x kor firewalker
    1x sun lance
    2x cataclysm
    1x pithing needle
    1x manriki

I played, in order:

Day 1

Burn (0-2), Elves (2-0), Bant lands/farmville (2-0), Monoblack Pox (2-0), UWR delver/blade w/true name (2-1), 4 color stoneblade without red and heavy green for ??? (1-2), U/R Delver (2-1), Storm (2-0), Burn (2-0)

Day two

D&T (2-1), BUG Delver (2-1)

Round 3 I wanted to touch on:
    UWR Delver Blade (2-1) this guy was a class act. We had three awesome games, went to time. I missed a jitte trigger that would have allowed lethal damage and could only get him to 2 on turn 4 of 5. He conceded to me in turn 5 and let me take a run at it. I am very thankful.

Sneak and Show (2-1), Sneak and Show (2-1), U/R Delver (1-2)

All in all a good time. I used every card in the sideboard multiple times. If I could change anything, I would cut a phyrexian revoker for a 2nd minscensor in the main. Bird-wizard did work all day and at least trys to trade with delver. I will also be working on find something (BRimaz) to take the spot of SOFI. I never wanted it any match.

I might also switch RIP with Relic

My strategy for the U/R delver matchup: Side out revoker, vial, batterskull . Side in sun lance, RIP, containment priest, kor firewalker, ethersworn!!!!<- best card in the match.
    Don't even try to play with their mana unless you have nothing to do. Don't waste them you'd rather have the lands. (and it feeds cruise)

Jam creatures and run them out of cards. D&T creatures are just better than UR delver creatures and you have more of them. Save you removal for Young pyromancer and try to fight delver with flyers until you have to sunlance/STP them. This worked well for me in testing and in rounds until I punted by forgetting about electricery damage on ethersworn and blocked a 1/1.......such a bad feeling.

Cavern on Soldier does work on KOR, thalia, birmaz and turning off their smash to smithereens by siding out artifacts for blockers and threats is very good. I found that stoneforge, grab jitte, then never deploy it unless you're gauranteed a connection is awesome. They'll float smash for turn and turns is all D&T needs.

Hot tech from the D&T mirror guy: Jotun Grunt is a house in the U/R delver mirror. two burn spells or they never get to cruise!

what will the preist do for your u/r delver match since it doesnt stop pyromancer?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by jim111589 View Post
    what will the preist do for your u/r delver match since it doesnt stop pyromancer?
    Only thing I coulkd see for it is that it's a 2/2 flash body and could sometimes surprise an attacking Pyromancer.
    Other than that, I don't see what it could do.

Jun 2014
    Moorhead MN

Quote Originally Posted by jim111589 View Post
    It doesn't die to electrickery or two for one with forked bolt. It blocks tokens and sometimes let's you live the dream of flickerwisp exile. Cavern on human is relevant and while faking stone forge activation you can spend the mana to flash him. Mostly: it blocks better than aether vial

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

So, yet another "big" win for a UWR. Question, how would you guys feel about swapping Sword of Fire and Ice for Sword of War and Peace?

I feel like in a vacuum, Fire and Ice is clearly superior. However, if the main removal we see is StP and Bolt, War and Peace offers some very nice protection. Also, War and Peace provides lifegain and a potentially faster clock. I feel the choice is very meta dependent and also dependent on how many Spirit of the Labyrinth we are running. Thoughts?

Also, I tried out Land Tax at my local on Friday and went 3-0-1. Land Tax was largely irrelevant in the result, although in one long game it did net me 7 Plains, but the effect of that could be anywhere from good to insignificant. I might try it out some more though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

Were you the guy with the absolutely beautiful D&T deck? You should post a picture :)

I'm mostly a UR player and I agree on definitely taking revoker out, but taking out all vials seems strange. That card can cause such a headache, granted it is answered by Pithing Needle, I will probably always Force of Will a vial if I'm on the draw. I can see the logic in Batterskull (it is slow, and SFM will likely eat a bolt instantly), so you will almost never be able to cheat it into play. Ethersworn, Kor Firewalker, and the 5th removal is probably enough, though you were the guy sitting at 12-2 with a win and inf or top 8, while I was on the sidelines. Just trying to give the opposite perspective.

you already play Jitte, and Batterskull, don't you only need something to avoid artifact distruction to win?

[DTB] Death and Taxes

First time poster on this site. Thanks for all your great ideas and contribution. It has helped me quite a bit in recent hard times dominated by blue. But as many have concluded, I do find that d and t is actually positioned well despite ancestral recall being reprinted.

My first question is whether Aven Mindcensor should be considered much more now that uwr stoneblade has been on the upswing. The flash flier seems like a good place to be to combat search heavy decks while having game against delver.

I only ask because the list here in Japan that went top 8 in a 330 man tourney ran two copies in main. Perhaps it is now much better now that -1-1 effects are going down, though we would have to be cautious about fork bolt still.

Thoughts will be helpful.

Mar 2014
    Madison, WI

Hi everyone!

I was able to make the trip to GPNJ from St. Louis Missouri this last weekend, and had an absolute blast playing D&T (Thanks to my friend Dan who let me borrow his beautiful deck). I've had some practice with the deck between smaller tounaments like IQs, but this was my first time in a major tournament piloting the deck, and my first GP for that matter too. I ended up 7-1-1 after day one, and 9-5-1 overall.

For starters, here is my list:

11x Plains
    4x Rishadan Port
    4x Wasteland
    3x Karakas
    1x Cavern of Souls

4x AEther Vial
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1x Umezawa's Jitte

4x Mother of Runes
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Phyrexian Revoker
    3x Flickerwisp
    3x Serra Avenger
    2x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1x Mirran Crusader

SIDEBOARD
    2x Containment Priest
    1x Council's Judgment
    2x Rest in Peace
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Grafdiggers cage
    2x Kor firewalker
    1x Gut Shot
    1x Cataclysm
    1x Pithing needle
    1x Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1x Ratchet Bomb

First I will give a quick run down of the match ups, and then go into more detail about the games. Finally I will discuss what I liked/disliked, and my general take away from the tournament. Enjoy!

Day 1

U/G Infect (2-1), U/R Delver (2-0), Jeski Control (2-1), Miracles (2-0), Tezzert Helminator (2-0), D&T (1-1-1), Shardless BUG (1-2), U/R Delver (2-1), Miracles (2-0).

Day two

RUG Threshold Delver (1-2), Miracles (1-2), Show and Tell (0-2), Reanimator (2-0), Jeski Control (0-2), Miracles (2-1).

Now for the in depth review of the games, this is all coming from memory so I apologize now if it seems a little scrambled.

Match 1 (U/G Infect)
    Usually a fair match up for us, luckily Dan (my friend who let me borrow this deck) is a fantastic Infect Pilot and a devotee of Tom Ross. Needless to say I have had a ton of games on this match up. Played around perice/daze when I could, and gummed up the board enough to slow down his glistener elf plan. After that assemble jitte and pray then don't have krosan grip in hand post board (this is why you aggressively kill EVERYTHING with infect). Hold wastes for flying infect baddies, swords for unblockable infect baddies, and you should be on your way to a match win.
    Win (2-1)

Match 2 (U/R Delver)
    Not much to say here. This pilot was pretty new and it showed on his delver play. He couldn't beat batterskull game 1, and double kor firewalker did him in game 2. Decided to do a casual grudge match so I could help him with his delver triggers (reveal for trigger, fectch away card, etc.), and it turns out he just bought into legacy a week ago. Always glad to help new players =)
    Win (2-0)

Match 3 (Jeski Control)
    With the game one lead of island ponder, island brainstorm, I had him on Omni-Tell and try for the race against time. He eventually plays a tundra and SFM, but is too far behind on the board to interact.
    Game 2 is a bit more of the same, although after resolving a DTT he finds a Verdict. From there he stumbles after I vail in another SFM and assemble vultron, and pull away another win. Thankfully didn't see TNN in his deck.
    Win (2-0)

Match 4 (Miricles)
    I find myself aganst a pretty good miricles piolt, but had a very nice start of T1 Vial, T2 Thalia (eats a force) EOT vail mom, T3 my EOT he brainstorms I vail Spirit of the Lab. From there Spirit goes all the way (dem 3 point beats) while I hold a vial on two for phyrexian rev if he plays top. Game 2 I get needle on top and flood the board. Get a batterskull and sword on the field with him down to 11 when he naturals a terminus on his 2nd main. His EOT I vial Mirrian Crusader, equip SOFI and hit for 12. <3
    Win (2-0)

Match 5 (Helminator)
    This was a pleasant surprise, as he T0 leyline of the voids me, and I crack a smile with two phyrexian revokers in hand. G1 he has a pretty explosive start with T3 Tezzert AOB into swing with a 5/5, but after a revoker on Tezz and a flickerwisp to reset his 5/5 I get the game. *Warning* Misplays Incoming. Game 2 I am happy to see a way to shut off both the helm and thropter combo with RIP and Revoker. I lead with a RIP on two and immediately realize my mistake as he gives me a weird look (I had assumed he would SB out the Helm-combo, silly me). He TezzertsAOB which I vial in Revoker in response. Then he big daddy Tezz -4 for helm and I am looking really dumb with a RIP on the board. Luckily the heart of the cards was with me and I ripped a flickerwisp off the top to reset my revoker, and get the game.
    Win (2-0)

Match 6 (D&T)
    Pretty boring match, games 1 and 2 are decided by who gets jitte online first after both moms get STP. Game three is a massive stall for me, we both have 2+ moms, 2+ SFM, but he has Manriki. I am forced to stall the board with revokers, and attempt to win with fliers. Eventually we draw while we are both 20+ life thanks to repetitive batterskull trades.
    Draw (1-1-1)

Match 7 (Shardless BUG)
    This is a pretty rough match-up, as it is near impossible to match their card advantage. I played it as a race, but this opponent had main deck Toxic Deluge witch blew me out game 1, and golgri charms post side which made me cautious to go too aggressive. Was only able to win game 2 due to rev. on Liliana, and a sworded up Serra avenger. Game 3 I get Wilt-leaf into play off a Hymn to Tourach, but due to some shardless into abrupt decayx2, can't clutter the board enough to save it from Liliana -2.
    Loss (1-2)

Match 8 (U/R Delver)
    Finally another delver deck. This is my game where Brimaz showed why he is king. Game 1 was pretty easy with a vialed in Spirit on a brainstorm, and a t4 batterskull. Game 2 was a blowout his way with two smash to smithereens for SOFI and batterskull. Game 3 was one of the more challenging games I had in the tournament, on a weak keep of 6, T1 play a vial into a force, T2 a mom into a bolt. Port T3, and T4 I play brimaz with a karakus up with nothing but lands in hand. For the rest of the game I try to landlock him with ports and wastes, all while keeping karakus up for brimaz, and eventually get there. He shows me a loaded hand and felt lucky getting that game.
    win (2-1)

Match 9 (Miracles)
    Finally to the last match of the day, which decides if I get to advance or not to day two. I see a T1 top and let out a audible groan. Luckily due to some tight play and the power of vial + equipment I am able to squeeze out wins in both games 1 and 2. I was never able to lock out the top, so had to play to the board very lightly, winning game one with a mom + sworded Serra avenger through a lethal flock of angels. Game 2 purely through threat density and him not finding top.
    Win (2-0)

Okay going to take a break here for now, I should have day two and my final thoughts out sometime in the next few hours.

To be continued.

Thread Information