Page 284 of 533 FirstFirst ... 184234274280281282283284285286287288294334384 ... LastLast
Results 5,661 to 5,680 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I think it comes in vs any deck with 4 Bobs 4 DRS.
    This was my thought the moment I saw the card, well just after I dreamed of countering Ancestral Vision and Show and Tell. Seriously, Dark Confidant has always been a killer for DnT.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Marungo, where do you play? I am at Titan Games mostly.

Vryn Wingmare is a great addition and I don't think it is best run as a 1 or 2-of, but as a 4-of. I think it is much better than Aven Mindcensor and Spirit of the Labyrinth because against decks that want to cast non-creature spells, stacking the Thalia tax is simply more powerful than the other two angles. Now, you won't get the sneak blow-outs you get with the others, but when you think about it, how often do you really get those when you need them? Whereas, making every non-creature spell cost 2 more is frequently a solid prison.

That said, Wingmare is terrible, absolutely terrible, in the Eldrazi match. Wingmare hinders us a lot and them not at all. Mom and Thalia are also terrible. With those two alone, I side out 8 cards immediately, so do I want to have to side out even more? Eldrazi also change what we can expect to face, and therefore lower the meta value of the Wingmare build.

And the Eldrazi deck is a devastatingly bad match for Miracles. I play with several very aggressive, top tier Legacy players (most notably Paul Lynch) and they are developing and tweaking Eldrazi. The presence of Eldrazi will lower the presence of Miracles.

The best Delver decks against Eldrazi are BUG and Grixis, and you don't want Wingmare in those either, really. They are great game 1, and terrible after siding.

Combo decks susceptible to Chalice on 0 or 1 are also hurt because Eldrazi plays 4 main, combined with their insane speed. The exception is Infect, which seems quite good against it. However, I don't find Vryn as good against Infect as I would like because it is a little slow and I don't want to tax my removal too much. I want Canonist, not Wingmare.

Lands is very good against Eldrazi, but Wingmare is kind of so-so in that match as well.

So if, as I suspect, the Eldrazi decks are fairly well-tuned for Philadephia and out in some force, the Wingmare build will cost you far more matches than it will get you.

On the other hand, Serra Avenger and Mirran Crusader are very good against Bug and Grixis Delver, fine against Lands, good enough against Miracles, and better against Infect. You also, absolutely, want equipment on an Avenger or Crusader ASAP in that match.

I also don't think Batterskull closes out the game when they can play 5/5 and 6/6 and even 8/8 creatures. Crusader with Jitte is your best combination (Crusader blanks literally all of their removal except Ratchet Bomb) and the only thing fast enough. More often than people seem to think, if you Stoneforge Mystic for equipment, they are going to kill SfM immediately, one way or another and leave you with B-Skully in hand giving you the skully. And oddly like Goblins, they are far more afraid of Jitte than Batterskull. They play 4 Phyrexian Revoker and will happily call Batterskull all day long, but they also run Jitte in their build, so getting Jitte out is worse for them than for us.

The main loss with Wingmare out then are Miracles and non-creature combo decks, which is significant, but the Eldrazi are going to prey on those decks (except Sneak and Show, Painter and random Blood Moon shenanigans decks.) As a result, I am betting on a meta shift that will heavily favor the Avenger-Crusader build over the Wingmare-Thalia build.

Currently, I side out Mom and Thalia, immediately and bring in:
    2 Council's Judgment (I like the idea of Mangara better, but in practice he came on line too slowly and was dealt with by Warping Wail just as often.)
    1 Equipment (testing Manriki-Gusari)
    1 Path to Exile (they run 0 basics in Legacy)
    2 Ethersworn Canonist (they like casting multiple creatures per turn. Don't let them.)
    2 Pithing Needle (Jitte if they land it, but Endbringer later. Even Ratchet Bomb, if you see it.)

I am considering siding out two Aether Vial and bringing in 2 Containment Priest because they bring in Needle for vial and I am not fighting over Vial with artifact hate. Plus a hard cast Flickerwisp with Priest is more removal.

FYI, if you didn't know it, Wisp is just huge value in the match.

RE: Ratchet Bomb
    Yes, Ratchet Bomb is an option, but I find it underwhelming because I want it on 0 and at that point it has at most 8 targets, and typically I have seen them side out Chalice against us in favor of their own Ratchet Bomb and Pithing Needle because they know our removal runs out way before their creatures do, so stopping our equipment and Vials are way more important than stopping what are typically 4 1cmc spells. As a result, RB really only has 4 targets post-board that don't also hurt us.

Marungo and redtwister, I'm the Blood and Taxes player at Amazing Spiral. I might've seen you guys around?

Anyway, with the supposed decline of Vryn Wingmare, I was wondering if you guys have tested Eldrazi Displacer. Sadly for me, it doesn't fit well as a tutor target for Recruiter, but I think it has a lot of potential for at least Mono White, to the point where I'm thinking about playing Mono White again.

It taps down any attacker, including things like Goyf, Reality Smasher, what have you. It resets Delver, kills Marit Lage(not really that relevant, I know), Angel tokens, I guess. It also lets you perpetually Stoneforge, Flickerwisp, Revoker, Mangara, save your guys from Warping Wails, doesn't die to Warping Wail or Punishing Fire...

I feel like there's a big upside to this guy, and for people running 2 Caverns in the main, that's 10 colorless sources maindeck for the ability, which seems pretty good to me. We can even add more with stuff like Mutavault, Tower of the Magistrate, etc.

As the meta moves toward a harsher environment for 3 mana flying Thalias, maybe we should be moving toward Displacer?

I tried it and ended up hating it. Not because the idea isn't great, but because 2 and colorless was so hard to hit without really jazzing up the deck. Every time I got it out, it made me angry sitting there as a vanilla 3/3 because I didn't have colorless or I had better uses for it.

I'm also convinced that we ought to minimize non-Plains lands. I'm running 12 Plains because I expect Wasteland and Blood Moon to be out in force. Heck, if I was Merfolk, I would put 3 or 4 Back to Basics in the side.

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post
    I tried it and ended up hating it. Not because the idea isn't great, but because 2 and colorless was so hard to hit without really jazzing up the deck. Every time I got it out, it made me angry sitting there as a vanilla 3/3 because I didn't have colorless or I had better uses for it.

I'm also convinced that we ought to minimize non-Plains lands. I'm running 12 Plains because I expect Wasteland and Blood Moon to be out in force. Heck, if I was Merfolk, I would put 3 or 4 Back to Basics in the side.
    Mmm, I haven't tested it myself, maybe it's too cute after all. I think the power level is definitely there though.

Also, if we need colorless sources(and I know how dumb what I'm about to propose sounds), adding a few Wastes that work through the non-basic hate might not be the worst?

I know, as the Imperial player I've locked myself out of Flickerwisp so many times before top decking it, white sources are precious. But if what we lack is colorless sources for Displacer to do work in the matchup he shines in, would Wastes be that bad?

Oct 2005
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by Violence View Post
    Mmm, I haven't tested it myself, maybe it's too cute after all. I think the power level is definitely there though.

Also, if we need colorless sources(and I know how dumb what I'm about to propose sounds), adding a few Wastes that work through the non-basic hate might not be the worst?

I know, as the Imperial player I've locked myself out of Flickerwisp so many times before top decking it, white sources are precious. But if what we lack is colorless sources for Displacer to do work in the matchup he shines in, would Wastes be that bad?

I've playtested with Displacer with 10 colorless sources in a monowhite build. I've loved it as Flickerwisp 5-6. Having a 3/3 beater is honestly not that bad and it really shines when you have 3 lands up, stopping lethal Infectors, Removal, Flickering Flickerwisp against Terminus to save your team and Reusing Stoneforge multiple times. Its also not white which is relevant vs. Dread of Night. It think its fine as a mid/late game creature. I really want to try it vs. Eldrazi in combination with containment priest.

I play mostly at Games and Stuff on Tuesdays. I was really asking for more of a consensus on the deck since I'm aware where the options are good and where they're not. I also tend to agree wisp is good in the matchup. Funny you mention Paul though as he was the one I was referring to mainly with the "tuning and tweaking" of the deck. I really just wanted to see what people thought was better in the meta I described and with what we might be expecting in Philly.

As far as displacer goes I think it's pretty bad. He's a mana sink which I'm not a fan of, is just kinda worse than flickerwisp in most ways, and isn't really worth a combo slot with priest (Marungo and karakas is just better I think). I think I'll run a more crusader and avenger build tonight and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Violence View Post

If we want more colorless sources I would run Battlefield Forge over Wastes any day.
    Cockatrice: Bosque

@Marungo
    Yeah, I went a little overboard, I suppose, but I think the question of whether or not Vryn Wingmare is good is one question people recently raised (and IMO it is very good in the right meta.) Whether or not Wingmare is good against Eldrazi is another question. Thirdly, not only is Wingmare bad against Eldrazi, but the Eldrazi decks may very well alter the meta (they will in Philadelphia for sure), and if they do, they mostly harm the decks that Wingmare was strong against, making the Wingmare build even worse at a large even like an Open because the decks it preys upon are in short supply.

Also, you called "Mangara" "Marungo", which is hilarious.

Yeah, Paul and another member of his team were up at Titan last night. Their build is improving in nuanced ways. I think they have their eyes on DnT as one of their problem matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    If we want more colorless sources I would run Battlefield Forge over Wastes any day.
    Yes, I know. I would never try to run Wastes in Imperial, because it's already difficult for me to play around Nonbasic hate like Blood Moon, BtB, and Wasteland, but redtwister was talking about Mono-white D&T wanting to maximize Plains because of all the non-basic hate things like Eldrazi Stompy might be bringing to the table. I'm just saying that Mono White can probably afford to run a Waste or two if Eldrazi Displacer is worth it(and he doesn't think it is), to have colorless source/s that survive hate.

And yeah, maybe we need to shift our focus.

I know I run two Cavern because of how damn amazing it is against Counterbalance, and I play Pia and Kiran against Miracles because it's absurdly hard for them to beat. But if the meta shifts to one where Eldrazi Stompy becomes a top tier deck, and Miracles wanes as a result, I think I would disassemble Imperial, make Painter, and return to Mono W D&T. The Red plan really doesn't help if we're facing an aggressive deck, it does a lot better in grindy matchups where we can set up a lock or find hate pieces easily.

Jun 2015
    NYC

I played Eldrazi stompy w/ Imperial at a tournament tonight and beat it pretty easily. At this point I've seen / played enough Imperial/Eldrazi games to believe that it's a matchup you should be very happy to play. They play aggressively costed creatures, you play cards that just win on the spot. It's not unloseable, nothing ever is, but mana denial wrecks the deck, they play off the top so much that while you *can* lose to Reality Smasher ->Reality Smasher-> Reality Smasher, realistically a lot of their topdecks end up being poorly timed acceleration / prison pieces. If you're scared of the deck play 4 Magus in your 75 - but there's no way Mono-W has a better matchup overall.

Also won another game off Warping Wail today - this time vs Stormchaser Delver as a removal spell in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by redtwister View Post
    @Marungo
    Yeah, I went a little overboard, I suppose, but I think the question of whether or not Vryn Wingmare is good is one question people recently raised (and IMO it is very good in the right meta.) Whether or not Wingmare is good against Eldrazi is another question. Thirdly, not only is Wingmare bad against Eldrazi, but the Eldrazi decks may very well alter the meta (they will in Philadelphia for sure), and if they do, they mostly harm the decks that Wingmare was strong against, making the Wingmare build even worse at a large even like an Open because the decks it preys upon are in short supply.

Also, you called "Mangara" "Marungo", which is hilarious.

Yeah, Paul and another member of his team were up at Titan last night. Their build is improving in nuanced ways. I think they have their eyes on DnT as one of their problem matches.
    Do not apologize for giving an in depth response. You went into detail on how eldrazi affects the meta and how that affects us so that's definitely something I encourage as opposed to short answer responses with no explanation.

In other news, I went 2-1 last night beating shardless BUG, burn, and losing to UWR delver. The additional crusaders and avengers didn't feel particularly impactful, but I obviously liked the increase in them vs shardless. I don't know where I'll go from here but I'm leaning towards just going back to Wingmare build because I like the impact it has game one.

Also I talked to Paul last night and he said he felt DnT is a great matchup for them like I expected. I watched him play test and stomp a pretty good DnT player several times. He said that as long as the eldrazi player boarded properly and didn't get completely screwed then it was really favored for them.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Keep Mangara of Corondor in your deck to fight Eldrazi.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    I do agree that if you want to beat eldrazi then mangara is great in the matchup. I think I'll just kinda concede a little to the matchup until it gets popular, but it's good for us to establish what's good and what's not good versus them. If the deck eventually becomes big I think Wingmare builds will disappear and we will shift to a more board stall/board control build with mangara and more crusaders

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Ditto. I never took the singleton Mangara out of my deck and I've yet to regret it. Might consider going back to 2 if Eldrazi becomes huge. He might be slow but he's still got it. Also, I've abandoned the idea of switching my 2 SB Judgements for Warping Wails. Judgement is just what the doctor ordered against Eldrazi. As for the matchup in general, it doesn't seem bad at all from what games I managed to play against it on cockatrice. It's kinda like MUD in the sense that our cards are either completely useless or super awesome. Aside from the aforementioned Batterskull and Mangara, and the always reliable plows, ports and wastelands, Flickerwisp is another all-star, blanking chalice, resetting skull, and turning endless ones into comic relief. Combine it with containment priest post board for maximum ownage.

Hi! I went 2-1-1 at Redcap's Corners legacy event last night using the following list:

4 Flickerwisp
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Karakas
    4 AEther Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Plateau
    3 Arid Mesa
    2 Magus of the Moon
    3 Snow-Covered Plains
    2 Imperial Recruiter
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Mirran Crusader
    1 Mangara
    2 Serra Avenger

SB: 1 Grafdigger's Cage
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 2 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 2 Sudden Demise
    SB: 2 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 2 Cataclysm
    SB: 1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar

round 1 - bye. There were an odd number of players. Woo hoo. I got to do some trades with the shop.
    round 2 - Draw vs. Thopter / tezzeret
    g1 w I have the goods and go t1 cavern and mom, t2 thalia and begin port / wasteland harass. He has a couple of basics and uses force of will, baleful strix and toxic deluge to slow down my assault. I eventually swing for lethal after Swordsing a baleful strix
    g2 L He has a fast start and gets thopter combo online fairly quickly. I survive long enough to use cataclysm and reset the boards a bit, but i run out of steam afterward and fail to rebuild after cataclysm. It was a long game but he eventually stuck a planewalker and gained momentum up to an ultimate with tezz for the kill
    g3 Time. Game 3 went to time in another slow and grindy game. I had swords, he had toxic deluge and we trade removal for several turns before running out of time. He was running Abyss in his 75 and had a cool, tough deck.

round 3 - dredge 2-1
    g1 W I keep a 7 with no 1 drop but thalia, port, SFM. After he takes a mull to 5 on his turn 1 he cabal therapies himself to get a dredger in the yard, but on his next draw when he goes for dredge he does not get a second dredge card in the GY and thalia / port shut him out of the game
    g2 I mull to 6 and keep a pretty slow hand not wanting to mulligan further. he has an explosive game and combos out turn 2 cabal therapying me multiple times and I scoop quickly as to not reveal any SB cards.
    g3 I have an end of turn 1 enlightened tutor into a turn 2 rest in peace which exiles half of his deck which he churned up on t1 I have a backup grafdigger's cage in play and he scoops after a few more turns.

round 4 - eldrazi 0-2
    g1 He has a turn 1 eye of ugin and casts 2 endless ones and an eldrazi mimic for free. I stabilize at 5 life and start to gain life back with batterskull, but he has maindeck
    revokers to shut off my equipment / sfm and eventually creatures bigger than my bskull
    g2 repeat warping wails get rid of 3 of my creatures, thalia revoker and SFM. After a long game with multiple revokers on each side of the table and multiple wastelands on each side of the table
    he has an eldrazi equiped with a jitte and a SoIF then phyrexian metamorphs copying SoIF to bury me in equipments and CA. I tried blocking with serra angels / mirran crusaders
    but he kept big creatures coming everyturn which were generally bigger than my creatures.
    I did not see enough of magus of the moon or flickerwisp in all 3 games vs. eldrazi but they really would have helped. Flickerwisp can kill an endless one by reducing it to 0 counters.
    Afterwards my opponent agreed he is very soft to blood moon.

I may have set myself back by trading the shop during my bye round becauseI had price tags and all that goes along with trading on my brain instead of just playing, but I had a fun time and a good enough record to come out ahead. I saw lots of players at the shop excited about the upcoming SCG open at the end of the month.

DocteurGabe
    Mar 2013
    Halifax, NS, Canada

Alright.
    Since I'm in Europe for the next few months, Julian convinced me to come to Ovino.
    Having left my beloved Elves at home in Canada, I'll probably gonna be sleeving good old D&T.

I got the stock playlist with a handful of weird addition (Im known for out of the blue ideas....!) and Im looking at what's the stock list ATM in the European meta, and what's everybody else idea on the list.

Hope to see a bunch of you in Ovino!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemnear View Post
    I facepalm so hard in Public that hipsters gonna make this a new trend

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

So, today I had a chance to grind some matches against Eldrazi against a friend of mine. I played the following list:

4x Mom
    4x Thalia
    4x SFM
    4x Flicker
    4x Revoker
    2x Avenger
    1x Mirran
    1x Brimaz
    1x Eldrazi Displacer
    1x Mangara
    4x plow
    4x vial
    3x equipment (jitte, bat, sofai)

7x plains
    4x wasteland
    4x port
    3x karakas
    1x cavern
    1x canopy
    1x flagstones
    1x ghost quarter
    1x sea gate wreckage

sb:
    2x canonist
    2x rip
    2x liege
    2x cataclysm
    1x ghostly prison
    1x disenchant
    1x council's judgment
    1x engineered explosives
    1x warping wail
    1x containment priest
    1x path to exile

We played 2 non-sideboarded games that I won 2-0 and then played 21 games post board which ended 11-10 in Eldrazi's favour. So yeah, felt very even. I boarded like this:

+
    ghostly prison (was good, not insane, but pretty good in conjunction with our mana denial. Would bring it in every time if I have it in board)
    path to exile (great to have additional removal. Of course it sucks that it dies to chalice, but they won't have chalice all the time and won't prioritize it as highly vs us as vs other decks. My opponent's build didn't run basics so it was especially nice, but even with basics in their deck I like it).
    councul's judgment (slow but good alround answer, would bring it in every time)
    disenchant (drew it only a few times and never got to use it. Still think it's fine as an answer to chalice, revoker and jitte - bring it in)
    engineered exposives (good to have an answer to chalice and endless one, can often 2-for-1 them)
    containment priest (not that relevant against them but ultimately I decided that it would matter more than thalia. Remember I was playin displacer and displacer + priest is great. Also turns flickerwisp into plow. Not sure if thalia + karakas to chump isn't just better... though whenever I drew one of my remaining thalias I wasn't excited).

-
    4 mom
    2 thalia

Bolded stuff from my list was a test and neither card really did enough to warrant further testing I don't think. Of the two the Sea Gate Wreckage just felt too situational and I never in the 23 games got to activate it (not that that in and of itself means much). Displacer has an awesome effect and if the activation cost was W2 instead of <>2 then I'd be much more inclined to run it as a one of. As it is I don't think it's worth it. NB: I was also running a Ghost Quarter in the main, mostly to have another <> producing land that was somewhat in tune with our main deck. My opponent didn't run any basic lands and the GQ was very helpful, so take that as you will.

Some key points:

Higher Ceiling
    When the Eldrazi deck draws the nuts then that beats us drawing the nuts. Like, their ceiling is higher than ours. There is almost no way we beat their eye into mimic + endless one into TKS into smasher whereas we don't have quite the same overwhelming draws. On the other hand, it feels like if both decks draw even-to-mediocrely then we come out on top.

Land Disruption and Equipment the Way to go
    I ended up feeling like hands with neither Port, Wasteland or Stoneforge should be mulliganed. I didn't do this every time but it does feel like something to keep in mind. Equipment is very strong but Stoneforge is quite vulnerable to Warping Wail / Spacial Contortion so play accordingly. Wrecking their lands with port and waste was what won me most of the games.

Revoker a Necessary Evil
    While it often felt unspectacular to draw I was rarely unhappy with my revokers. At worst it would trade with their revoker or mimic. At best it got to name Jitte and Endbringer.

today i play the legacy final tournament ( 8 man all against each other ) so pretty fun afternoon of magic, 1 of the guys was missing so we played 6 rounds of magic and the 7 decks are : ANT, eldrazi stompy, MUD, Sneak and show, bug delver, shardless bug.

this was my first tournament with death and taxes, i decided to put it together because i always liked the deck and a few weeks ago me and my friend playtest a bit miracles (me) against D&T and i though about start playing it too because it was a lot of fun and felt really strong, and iīm going to put it all foil :D so its a work in progress but i feel like its going to be awesome.

I ended up 6-0 and the deck felt really good, i know i did some (a lot ) mistakes but still got it (!! ) Now its time to play more and improve !

this was the list i played, i suspect some of the matchups so i tryied to adjust a bit :

9 Plains
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    1 Flagstones of Trokair
    1 Cavern of Souls
    1 Horizon Canopy
    ~
    4 AEther Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice

4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Serra Avenger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Flickerwisp
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    2 Spirit of the Labyrinth

SB: 2 Ratchet Bomb
    SB: 1 Cataclysm
    SB: 2 Enlightened Tutor
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Council's Judgment
    SB: 3 Ethersworn Canonist
    SB: 1 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Ghostly Prison
    SB: 1 Disenchant
    SB: 1 Sunlance

so just some thoughts:

- SotL was just a metacall and it felt decent, gave me a clear win against a griselbrand via show and tell i end up plow it in my turn and other than that was a beater and agains bug was good because even if i didnīt caught any brainstorm with vial + SotL it borrow me a few turns before they could remove them and start cantriping.

- i put 1 mangara because of eldrazi/mud matchups but ended up not beeing relevant in none of the 6 rounds.

- ghostly prison, didnīt felt good either, because when i was in LD mode i won against eldrazi (2-1) and MUD (2-0) and dindt need prison, and when i lost a game he was so far head that even prison couldnīt save when i had 3 mana. seems slow to me against this matchups.

if i have some time i can writte more about the 6 rounds, but now its time to sleep.

thanks all for the thread that helped me a lot :)

any questions iīm pleased to answer

Jun 2015
    NYC

T8'd a 33 person charity tournament today w/ Imperial. 3 Caverns + 3 Wingmare + Crusader main.

My SB was:
    2 Warping Wail
    2 RiP
    3 Ethersworn
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Magus of the Moon
    1 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
    1 Mangara
    1 Leonin Relic Warder
    1 Fireslinger
    2 Mirran Crusader

m1 Elves (2-0)

G1 He had a slow start (t1 Arbor Dryad) and I had a t2 SfM. Despite pretty much wiping his board each turn, it was still a game and he eventually had Natural Order w/ 3 creatures in play to Craterhoof for not-quite-enough. He also had 3 Gaea's Cradles, so was pumping out a decent amount of mana. But Jitte was enough in the end.
    G2 He Abrupt Decay'ed my SfM when he needed to decay my Jitte - this was because he had a Green Sun's for Rec Sage. I had Containment Priest.

m2 Bug Delver (2-1)

G1 Opponent mulls to 5, has a T1 Delver which flips but doesn't draw another land or cast another spell as my deck plays a its normal game
    G2 He has a TNN but I am slightly ahead with a Mirran Crusader + Batterskull in play and some other creatures. He draws Dread of Night which wipes my board save Crusader and eventually gets through with his flyers.
    G3 Magus through Cavern while he's tapped out pretty much ends the game

m3 Eldrazi (0-2) - vs old school NY pro

G1 Keep a hand with no 1 drops, he t1 Chalices and I draw into my one drops. T2 Thought Knot is 'okay', T3 Endbringer is too much.
    G2 Again, no 1 drops, not a great hand but lots of land disruption with wasteland + 2 port, and Flickerwisp. I can stop him from doing anything for a while. He T1 chalices again, I draw into Aether Vial t2 - had it been in my opening hand I definitely win this game. Eventually I have a Revoker + Batterskull in play, Magus in hand, he has a Thought Knot + Endbringer + Ratchet Bomb. I equip Batterskull to Revoker, he Ratchet Bombs to destroy his own Chalice, then Gut Shots my Revoker, then next turn plays another Chalice - and I draw into a StP. I coulda won with the same cards I drew if they were in a slightly different order. Still don't think it's a bad matchup FWIW.

m4 Storm (2-0) vs a local player 'Jon Finkel' (event was for his charity)

G1 on the play Mom -> Revoker for LED -> Wingmare -> Wingmare while he does nothing relevant.
    G2 mull to 6, keep Wasteland, Thalia, Warping Wail, Rest in Peace, Recruiter, something else irrelevant - scry RiP to the bottom, draw a Plateau for t2 Thalia, draw an Ethersworn Canonist, hold up Warping Wail for the rest of the game.

m5 Reanimator (2-1)

G1 on the draw I kept a decent hand with two Karakas + one other land, he t2 Grave Titans. My first StP gets FoW'd, draw into another just in time to not die. I lose the game because I choose to Lotus Petal a Karakas to play my SfM around Daze. Daze would just mean I lose, so I'm not sure it was wrong, but he goes Iona -> Griselbrand and Reanimates my Mother of Runes and I don't have enough mana/life to deal with everything - I woulda if I had that second Karakas in hand.
    G2 I have RiP but he t1 Inkwell Leviathans. I manage to outrace w/ Mirran Crusader + SoFi.
    G3 He mulls and keeps a rough 6 with Lotus Petal as his only mana. I have RiP, Containment Priest and Mangara lock before he can do anything.

m6 ID w/ Rug Delver

T8 - Storm/Shardless/Jund/RUG Delver/Grixis Control/Me/Fish/Eldrazi

t8 vs a friend on Jund (1-2)

G1 StP his Bob, double Wasteland him and he doesn't draw into any more lands.
    G2 I have relevant cards (RiP, WW for DRS, Magus) but I think I may have sequenced them poorly, I shoulda saved my RiP for later in the game instead of playing it as Abrupt Decay bait. He decays it and out values me.
    G3 I'm ahead with a bunch of creatures in play vs Goyf/Bloodbraid including Mom, Magus, Revoker, Mirran Crusader, and he's down to 9 life. (He does have Forest+Swamp and two Grove/Mountains). He draws Golgari Charm to semi-wipe my board, but I'm still gonna win next turn if he doesn't draw a burn spell as I have Crusader + Jitte on board and he's at 5 now. Draws Punishing Fire, wipes my board in one turn.

Finals was Fish vs Jund, Jund won. I woulda been pretty happy w/ any of the matchups in the T8 except Jund.

I think I'm going to go down to 2 Flickerwisps main indefinitely. While it's great with Recruiter, Cavern of Souls is a more powerful and reliable card for Imperial and I think 3 Cavern is more important than 3 Flickerwisp. I also think I probably won't play Pia and Kiran next week in Philly, as much as I love that card. I've won a bunch of matches with it over time and it's the most fun card in the deck but it's probably not the right choice for serious tournaments. Other than that I was pretty happy with my SB - I like having the ability to go 3 Mirran Crusader post-board.

Thread Information