Page 216 of 533 FirstFirst ... 116166206212213214215216217218219220226266316 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,320 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [Deck] Death and Taxes

If WotC would answer our dreams, what "reasonable" card/cards would we like to see printed?

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Legendary Flickerwisp with Flash, preferable with 2 toughness.

Legendary flickerwisp with flash sounds totally awesome. Also some new usable equipment would be nice. The following effects on legs would be real fun, bonus points for legendary, also flying is cool.

Honor of the Pure
    Winter Orb
    Another tax effect, Flying Glowrider?
    Armageddon or Cataclysm ETB
    Another mom-like effect (tap to give hexproof or such)
    Kismet
    SOTL like effect but with flash
    Prevents tokens from being created

Site Contributor
    Oct 2014
    Melbourne, Australia.

Hey all, just took DnT to it's first event tonight!

The event actually failed to fire, - only 1 other person showed up ready to play legacy (legacy in Australia summed up), but there were a few vintage players who grabbed some proxy decks, so I got to play a few games against the mirror, sneak and show and Tinfins (that griselbrand combo deck).

Does anyone have any advice on the TinFins matchup? The TinFins deck is so fast, turn 1 or 2 Griselbrand + Emrakul attacking for 22 is not that uncommon :\ Of the 3 games we played, I won 1, when I went turn 1 karakas -> grafdiggers cage, turn 2 spirit of labyrinth, turn 3 revoker on griselbrand and beat face until my opponent was dead.

Here's the 75 I played tonight. I'm not sure on the numbers yet, so if there are any glaring holes, I would love some feedback. http://www.mtgvault.com/steve2112rush/decks/dnt

Dec 2013
    Chicago

In my experience, the Tin Fins matchup is horrific for DNT as they are often just too fast to allow our interaction to matter. If we win the die roll game 1, hopefully we can squeak out games 1 and 3. In this way, this matchup is similar to Belcher for us.

As for your list, I like basically all of your maindeck aside from the Spirit of the Labs. Some people like them, but I got burned by them being ineffectual too many times. I also like trying to side out a lot of x/1's postboard in a lot of matchups to play around hate cards, and Spirit makes it harder to do that. In their place, I like an additional Crusader and Mangara. This might seem like a lot of 3cc creatures, but I think 8 is the upper bound of what you can reasonably afford to run. A lot of the time when I have no creature in hand and plenty of lands in play, I'll tick vial up to 3 in the dark because the payoff on hitting a 3 (flickerwisp usually) would be so advantageous. So having more rather than less 3's makes this sort of angling more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosque View Post
    Legendary flickerwisp with flash sounds totally awesome. Also some new usable equipment would be nice. The following effects on legs would be real fun, bonus points for legendary, also flying is cool.

Honor of the Pure
    Winter Orb
    Another tax effect, Flying Glowrider?
    Armageddon or Cataclysm ETB
    Another mom-like effect (tap to give hexproof or such)
    Kismet
    SOTL like effect but with flash
    Prevents tokens from being created
    Most of these exist, but they're all 4-drops. I could see something like hokori or loxodon gatekeeper being playable, but they're not likely to print upgrades to these any time soon, since they don't want mana denial to be standard playable ever. I'm also not sure how exciting anti token cards would be.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Filename=dreamcard

Harbinger Peacock
    Creature - bird
    [mana]w[/mana]
    When Harbinger Peacock enters the battlefield, you may discard a white creature card. If you do, search your library for a white creature card, reveal it, and put it in your hand. Then shuffle your library.
    1/1

That ought to do it. The requirements virtually guarantee that no other deck can use it, and it does exactly what this deck needs. Also, it is not OP because it is both conditional and does not generate card advantage. It is slightly out of color though. At any rate, I predict that this card would pretty much make DnT the best deck in the format.

So there is the dream.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

If that was Harbinger Spirit it could fit fairly close in white.

@hill_giant, yeah good point I guess I just meant at a playable casting cost.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

This list made Top 8 today at SCG Dallas. Piloted by Blake Donnan

Creatures (26)

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Lands (20)

9 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    Spells (14)

4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Armageddon
    Sideboard

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    3 Disenchant
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Armageddon
    2 Council's Judgment

20 Lands. Armageddon main. Chrome Mox. 3 Spirit main.
    Some interesting choices. Any thoughts?

Dream Card for the deck would probably be something like this.

Cleric W
    Creature - human
    Players can't pay life or sacrifice creatures to cast spells or activate abilities.
    1/1

Won't happen any time soon and it might be too powerful or format warping, but I'd love for it to exist in Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardTron View Post
    This list made Top 8 today at SCG Dallas. Piloted by Blake Donnan

Creatures (26)

3 Phyrexian Revoker
    3 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    4 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Spirit of the Labyrinth
    2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
    1 Mangara of Corondor
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    Lands (20)

9 Plains
    1 Horizon Canopy
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    2 Karakas
    Spells (14)

4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Chrome Mox
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    2 Armageddon
    Sideboard

1 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
    3 Disenchant
    2 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Armageddon
    2 Council's Judgment

20 Lands. Armageddon main. Chrome Mox. 3 Spirit main.
    Some interesting choices. Any thoughts?
    This is just terrible. So many "objectively" wrong decisions in deck building. I'm not even gonna start with it.

Jul 2012
    Copenhagen, Denmark

Not being particularly experienced with the deck the following things still strike me as odd with that build:

- 7 main deck legendary creatures and only 2 Karakas, especially as he decided to include a Mangara.

- The Chrome Mox? I guess it will randomly poop on a storm player by allowing a turn 1 Thalia but way too rarely to merit an inclusion I'd think. I suppose it also has some synergy with Armageddon but I can't really see that being good enough. Would imagine our white cards matter more than mana ramping in many situations. And yeah, I can't imagine a much worse top-deck if the game has gone beyond the first few turns.

- Creature selection in general. This might just be a matter of personal preference, but I don't like going completely eschewing Serra Avenger.

That said, many congratulations on the top-8 finish
    You can follow me on Twitter at: www.twitter.com/MartinFSNielsen

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Maindeck Armageddon with 4x Thalia while also cutting down the land count ? How is that supposed to work? Plus, zero Flagstones for Armageddon.

I agree with nevilshute - many of those decisions are questionable to downright terrible. I wonder how he could place in Top 8 with that.

Oct 2013
    Georgia

He must've had really favorable match ups all day.

While I certainly appreciate thinking outside the box I just don't understand some of these choices. I think I've only ever seen 23 lands in D&T so seeing 20 was quite a shock-- especially w Armageddon and Thalia. One Chrome Mox surely isn't enough to provide balance.

This isn't 'Nam...there are rules. Even the board seems suboptimal--2 Tutors in this board seems weird and 2 Paths seem bad too. I don't like Path in general in this deck--kind of counterintuitive. Would rather run Sunlance.

Kudos to him for doing well, but I can't imagine this build could continue to be consistent.

Hi there,
    just to keep up the threat my current list (after the 15:0 in Strasbourg i played several smaller tournaments in Nuremberg and ended up 4:2, 4:1, 5:1, 3:2) - last changes were the taking out of the e-Tutor-board since i don't think you Need silver-bullets that much in non treasure-cruise-times. Serra Avenger has been great, in fact better then the mirrans i had earlier in the list.
    Still the most important think - thanks a lot to Bahra again - is to Play the ful playset of flickerwisp... If you ever consider to cut one of theese: JUST DON'T! Better take out a revoker or any of the other 2-3ofs...
    2 mindcensors are my personal preferance, of course you can cut them and put in mirrans or whatever. But since German Meta = Elves-meta they stay in my maindeck!

"Tod durch Steuern"
    //lands
    9x plains
    4x wasteland
    4x rishadan port
    3x Karakas
    3x flagstones of Trokair

//creatures
    4x mother of runes
    4x stoneforge mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x phyrexian revoker
    4x flickerwisp
    => the "holy 20 i would say"
    3x serra avenger
    2x aven mindcensor
    1x Mangara of Corondor (i think 1 is the correct amount, feel free to cut her for a Brimaz or something else in aggro-heavy metagames)

//other
    4x swords to plowshares
    4x aether vial
    1x Umezawa's jitte
    1x sword of fire and ice
    1x batterskull

//Sideboard
    4x ethersworn canonist (i know, most play only 2 of them but since this seams to be just the best sideboard-card against elves, any storm-based deck and even omnishow i personally will never go below 4)
    2x containment priest (in regional tournaments i sometimes switch to 3 priest 1 cataclysm if there's a certain amount of elves)
    2x cataclysm
    2x kor firewalker
    1x manriki-gusari
    2x rest in peace
    2x <flexible slots> here i'm at the moment totally unsure about packing in 2 sunlance (great against delver, deathrites, any early pressure beside the mirror), 2 holy light (nice against elves, nemesis, goblin-Tokens) or 2 council's judgement (best alround-removal, even against Progenitus or Emrakul but often not that easy to cast)

For questions around the deck / build feel free to comment or pm me.

Greetz from Germany

Marius Hausmann

Quote Originally Posted by Wasteland View Post
    1x Mangara of Corondor (i think 1 is the correct amount, feel free to cut her for a Brimaz or something else in aggro-heavy metagames)
    Her!
    Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    UR Delver man forcing you to play it out then asking for the ID after he got his dick smashed seems scummy.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by jake556 View Post
    Her!
    Let the Vorthos slapfight commence!

Also, addressing that awful list, let this be a lesson to all of us: just because a list places does not mean that it is good, or that it is going to revolutionize the deck.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Hi there,
    just to keep up the threat my current list (after the 15:0 in Strasbourg i played several smaller tournaments in Nuremberg and ended up 4:2, 4:1, 5:1, 3:2) - last changes were the taking out of the e-Tutor-board since i don't think you Need silver-bullets that much in non treasure-cruise-times. Serra Avenger has been great, in fact better then the mirrans i had earlier in the list.
    Still the most important think - thanks a lot to Bahra again - is to Play the ful playset of flickerwisp... If you ever consider to cut one of theese: JUST DON'T! Better take out a revoker or any of the other 2-3ofs...
    2 mindcensors are my personal preferance, of course you can cut them and put in mirrans or whatever. But since German Meta = Elves-meta they stay in my maindeck!

"Tod durch Steuern"
    //lands
    9x plains
    4x wasteland
    4x rishadan port
    3x Karakas
    3x flagstones of Trokair

//creatures
    4x mother of runes
    4x stoneforge mystic
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x phyrexian revoker
    4x flickerwisp
    => the "holy 20 i would say"
    3x serra avenger
    2x aven mindcensor

//other
    4x swords to plowshares
    4x aether vial
    1x Umezawa's jitte
    1x sword of fire and ice
    1x batterskull

//Sideboard
    4x ethersworn canonist (i know, most play only 2 of them but since this seams to be just the best sideboard-card against elves, any storm-based deck and even omnishow i personally will never go below 4)
    2x containment priest (in regional tournaments i sometimes switch to 3 priest 1 cataclysm if there's a certain amount of elves)
    2x cataclysm
    2x kor firewalker
    1x manriki-gusari
    2x rest in peace
    2x <flexible slots> here i'm at the moment totally unsure about packing in 2 sunlance (great against delver, deathrites, any early pressure beside the mirror), 2 holy light (nice against elves, nemesis, goblin-Tokens) or 2 council's judgement (best alround-removal, even against Progenitus or Emrakul but often not that easy to cast)

Greetz from Germany

Marius Hausmann
    I might need to try out the 4x Ethersworn Canonist board instead of tutors. Canonist has been great for me always, and I feel like we need more game against storm and improving the horrific match up that is Elves, is pretty nice. I also have been losing to Omnitell a lot lately, so I'm liking 4x Canonists more and more. I think you need to play 2x Gut Shot instead of Sunlance though.

For dream cards, remember that WotC has ways to introduce new cards into Eternal formats that don't go into Standard, hence [card]Containment Priest[/card] and [card]Council's Judgment[/card], so don't lose hope that we could get good things without "warping" Standard, i.e. taking it away from being an overwhelmingly mid-range format.

Here's mine:
    "Dream Crusher
    [mana]1ww[/mana]
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - Angel
    Flying
    1/3
    As Dream Crusher enters the battlefield, choose a player.

That player cannot activate abilities of non-land, non-creature permanents."

So it hits opponents' planeswalkers, artifacts, and enchantments, which is good but not over the top as a 1WW legendary with a 1/3 body. I think it is not more powerful than [card]True-Name Nemesis[/card].

Psycho Crusher
    Jan 2010
    The 'Jing

Greetz from Germany

Marius Hausmann
    That's a sweet list, very tightly constructed. Looks like your meta must be all Storm and Elves :) I like the 4x Canonists.

I will challenge the sacred cow here and say that I enjoy running 3x Flickerwisp instead of 4x. They are phenomenal with Vial, but sometimes you don't find Vial and then drawing multiples of Wisps is underwhelming. Once in awhile, the double white is hard to hit as well. So like I said, Vial superstar but not so great otherwise.

By the way, not a critique -- I'm finding it hard NOT to run the full playset of Flagstones in every D&T build. I had a good discussion with a friend about it the other day. Not that we were arguing, he was also a huge proponent of it, but he was trying to convince HIS friend to do it.

Seems like Flagstones is a no-brainer because:
    - It thins out the deck
    - It allows you to play around Massacre
    - Is great with Cataclysm/Armageddon
    - Received a boost after they changed the Legend rule

Even when I tested vs. some Blood Moon decks such as Painter, it didn't really matter. Unless you're facing T1 blood moon every round, it seems like an obvious inclusion.

I'm just failing to see the drawback, unless I'm really missing something...
    A book about the dark side of Legacy: "Magic: The Addiction" // Conversations with Magic players: "Humans of Magic"

Thread Information