Page 220 of 533 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,400 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Now that Recruiter has turned out to be good, wouldn't you reconsider inclusing a Mangara (I know, the cuts are hard) as tutor target, Bahra?

Yes, it blows when you have Magus out, but in the end, it's the same as if you don't have Karakas available. Getting virtual 3 copies of Mangara for a single slot doesn't sound too shabby, though.
    This is my stab at a Red Death list (serious props to whoever suggested that name): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-15-red-death/

One-of Mangara, Crusader and Mindcensor as Recruiter targets.
    "Don't mess with me, lady. I've been drinking with skeletons."

I write articles about Legacy Death and Taxes. Check them out.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

You're probably going to need another red source. I didn't even notice that Bahra cut one of his Karakas copies when suggesting Mangara.

I'm not a fan of Aven Mindcensor. The card by itself is already too slow - making it even slower with Recruiter while taking away the suprise effect seems even worse. I would never cut a SFM for that.

I also wonder if E-Tutor + Blood Moon could be a viable SB strategy. If you run 2 Tutors, you could easily slip in a BM for free wins.

I also wonder if E-Tutor + Blood Moon could be a viable SB strategy. If you run 2 Tutors, you could easily slip in a BM for free wins.
    I don't know, are you gonna bring in Enlightened tutor againt BUG decks? And Blood Moon can get countered or they can float BG in response so I don't think I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    This is my stab at a Red Death list (serious props to whoever suggested that name): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-03-15-red-death/

One-of Mangara, Crusader and Mindcensor as Recruiter targets.
    Isn't "Red death" already a BG deck with Confidant and Young Pyromancer or something like that?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

How do you play the deck with the red splash in the end?
    Use ports and wastes + thalia until there is 3 counters on vial to vial in a magus of the moon when they are tapped out? (I guess rishadan port helps a lot in tapping out your opponent's lands). and you wait for your opponent to waste its lightning bolts on other targets before playing / vialing in Magus?

How do you feel vs opponents that do not care at all about magus of the moon?
    Obviously, vs such opponents it's strictly worse that the cards you ditched for it (Mirran crusader / Brimaz).

I like how you play windsweapt heath and marsh flats. Just trying to hide the fact that you have a red splash :) Did you manage to bluff someone with that?

SUdden demise is for elves only? (seems like a good idea anyway better that mindsencor).

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    Isn't "Red death" already a BG deck with Confidant and Young Pyromancer or something like that?
    Yes.

There's a non-powered vintage deck that is basically a red Death & Taxes... they call it Red & Taxes and I feel like that name is suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    How do you play the deck with the red splash in the end?
    Use ports and wastes + thalia until there is 3 counters on vial to vial in a magus of the moon when they are tapped out? (I guess rishadan port helps a lot in tapping out your opponent's lands). and you wait for your opponent to waste its lightning bolts on other targets before playing / vialing in Magus?

How do you feel vs opponents that do not care at all about magus of the moon?
    Obviously, vs such opponents it's strictly worse that the cards you ditched for it (Mirran crusader / Brimaz).

I like how you play windsweapt heath and marsh flats. Just trying to hide the fact that you have a red splash :) Did you manage to bluff someone with that?

SUdden demise is for elves only? (seems like a good idea anyway better that mindsencor).
    Well people just assume that I have a green splash when I show windswept heath so that is definitely working as intended.

It's tricky to play with Magus of the Moon since you have to shape the game in such a fashion that he's the most effective when he comes down. For example I played against miracles last night and I chose a spot where he though I had flickerwisp and was just vialing it in to take one of his lands (in my own end step) and so he didn't fetch in response, and then I locked down 3 out of his 4 lands and he never came back.

Against lightning bolt decks it's best to have mother of runes protection but of course you can't have that every time, but it still buys you a ton of time or eats a removal spell, either way it's not doing nothing which is the most important thing for our creatures.

Magus of the Moon does something against almost every deck, even against MUD it shuts down Sol Lands. But against the decks where it does nothing you of course just board it out. But that's true for some of the other creatures we play as well, like Phyrexian Revoker that we board out against most fair decks. So I feel like the downside of having Magus of the Moon in the deck is very small.

I went 7-1 yesterday in Legacy daily events with the last list I posted, losing only to burn in very close games. I didn't draw any of the sideboard cards OR stoneforge mystics but I still almost won in 3 games.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by hartigan View Post
    Yes.

There's a non-powered vintage deck that is basically a red Death & Taxes... they call it Red & Taxes and I feel like that name is suitable.
    Minor nitpick, but the inventor of the deck called it "Simians Mom," which he made a thread about here. Both are pretty silly names though.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Some of you mentioned a few pages back that omni was an issue, would it be worth incuding a couple of red blasts in the SB? Or is jamming pro-active hate-bears just the better way to go about the match-up?

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

You're probably going to need another red source. I didn't even notice that Bahra cut one of his Karakas copies when suggesting Mangara.

I'm not a fan of Aven Mindcensor. The card by itself is already too slow - making it even slower with Recruiter while taking away the suprise effect seems even worse. I would never cut a SFM for that.

The mindcensor is really more the 5th flier, but I do agree that it is slow and should probably just be a 4th sfm. And, while cavern is another red source, I could see cutting a fetch/basic for another Plateau.

Another Moon in the board could be nice, but I don't know how deep we want to go there. With Magus and Recruiter already I think the extra Moon may be excessive.

Right Hand of Doom
    Sep 2011
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by hartigan View Post
    Yes.

Yet another blue deck. Laaaaame.

I guess we could call it Imperial Taxes? Red and Taxes works, but it just sounds bland. I'm sure basically no one cares about stuff like this, but it bugs me when deck names don't even try to be creative.

So I am now 10-2 in daily events with 2 Imperial Recruiter and 3 Magus of the Moon. 3 Sudden Demise in the side.

I've lost to RUG Delver (I played horrible) and burn (the usual: His last card has to be fireblast, it is ).

I've beaten: Deadguy Ale, UWR Delver, UWR Stoneblade, RUG Delver, Grixis Delver, Dark Maverick, Elves and 2x Miracles.

Pretty happy with the deck so far I must say and I will keep playing and testing.

EDIT: I've just been calling it Red Taxes so far, for lack of a better name.

I'm thinking that running 2 Recruiter and then a few 1-ofs might be best... plus this would let us run guys like Leonin Relic Warder on the SB as a one-of

23 Lands, standard main deck except

Creatures
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Flickerwisp
    3x Magus of the Moon
    2x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Serra Avenger
    1x Mangara of Condor

Sideboard:
    3x Sudden Demise
    3x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Rest in Peace
    2x Council's Judgement
    1x Cataclysm
    1x Containment Priest
    1x Mirran Crusader
    1x Leonin Relic-Warder

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Bahra View Post
    So I am now 10-2 in daily events with 2 Imperial Recruiter and 3 Magus of the Moon. 3 Sudden Demise in the side.

I've lost to RUG Delver (I played horrible) and burn (the usual: His last card has to be fireblast, it is ).

I've beaten: Deadguy Ale, UWR Delver, UWR Stoneblade, RUG Delver, Grixis Delver, Dark Maverick, Elves and 2x Miracles.

Pretty happy with the deck so far I must say and I will keep playing and testing.

EDIT: I've just been calling it Red Taxes so far, for lack of a better name.
    So what silver bullets do you use main? and side also?

Quote Originally Posted by Raggedjoe View Post
    I'm thinking that running 2 Recruiter and then a few 1-ofs might be best... plus this would let us run guys like Leonin Relic Warder on the SB as a one-of

23 Lands, standard main deck except

Creatures
    4x Mother of Runes
    4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4x Phyrexian Revoker
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Flickerwisp
    3x Magus of the Moon
    2x Imperial Recruiter
    1x Serra Avenger
    1x Mangara of Condor

Sideboard:
    3x Sudden Demise
    3x Ethersworn Canonist
    3x Rest in Peace
    2x Council's Judgement
    1x Cataclysm
    1x Containment Priest
    1x Mirran Crusader
    1x Leonin Relic-Warder
    3 Flickerwisp is not really even remotely acceptable in a deck with Imperial Recruiter. Imperial Recruiter makes it even easier to get insane value from Flickerwisp so we especially need the full 4 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    So what silver bullets do you use main? and side also?
    I run Mirran Crusader main and then just the usual. I have Kor Firewalker in the side and would have containment priest if they weren't 35 tickets online and they were better for the meta.

Guys, I'm really intrigued by the red splash for Magus of the Moon and/or Imperial Recruiter... but, in testing, don't you find that turning off your own Rishadan Ports, Wastelands, and Karakas to be problematic at all?

Does Magus give enough free wins to counterbalance the dis-synergy with all of the valuable utility lands?

Jan 2015
    Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Barbed Blightning View Post
    Yet another blue deck. Laaaaame.

I guess we could call it Imperial Taxes? Red and Taxes works, but it just sounds bland. I'm sure basically no one cares about stuff like this, but it bugs me when deck names don't even try to be creative.
    For some reason I keep thinking of this card:

It has very little to do with deck but it has to do with Mountains and Plains and is one of the only cards printed that does so.

After all this deck is kind of a "conversion" of D&T.

It's a long-shot but you could call the deck "Conversion".

I'm not sure why I'm thinking so much about this, either way it's cool this is a new archetype that is being tested!

Quote Originally Posted by MGB View Post
    Guys, I'm really intrigued by the red splash for Magus of the Moon and/or Imperial Recruiter... but, in testing, don't you find that turning off your own Rishadan Ports, Wastelands, and Karakas to be problematic at all?

Does Magus give enough free wins to counterbalance the dis-synergy with all of the valuable utility lands?
    Definitely. Remember, you're not gonna draw Magus of the Moon every game, and even if you did, you can port + wasteland until you drop Magus of the Moon and then hopefully you don't need port and waste anymore. I have played about 20 matches with the deck now and it has not been a problem once.

Oct 2012
    Italy

I am really interested in this evolution of the deck (i would be even more interested if recruiters were a reasonably priced card). it seems that recruiter could offer card advantage, especially in conjunction with flickerwisp, and the possibility to run a toolbox of hatebears. Death and taxes always lacked in these departments so the benefits could be huge.
    It is also fun that imperial painter players usually splash white nowadays and recently there are people who started to shift the deck more towards white and a hatebear strategy.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Yes! I have been singing the need for a tutor for a long time.

You guys have my hope in this design rekindled. Here is a new, less audacious design. I am making a new thread for the red version because it is a different deck. Let's take the discussion to http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...342#post875342.

4 Mother of Runes
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    1 Fiend Hunter
    1 Aven Mindcensor
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    3 Magus of the Moon
    3 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Batterskull
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Arid Mesa
    5 Plains
    1 Mountain
    4 Plateau
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Thread Information