Page 343 of 533 FirstFirst ... 243293333339340341342343344345346347353393443 ... LastLast
Results 6,841 to 6,860 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Jun 2015
    NYC

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

You need fetches to run a 2c manabase while still being able to play around Blood Moon and (especially) Wasteland. It might seem minor, but it's not, half the format plays Wasteland.

I still don't understand the Swords in this deck. Overall 4.

I would splash red for Bolt and Magus of the Moon. Eventually Flame Kavu (which is Recruitable).

with Cavern and Recruiter isn't it fine to drop Swords?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    You need fetches to run a 2c manabase while still being able to play around Blood Moon and (especially) Wasteland. It might seem minor, but it's not, half the format plays Wasteland.
    Yep. Go with just 1 or 2 Plateau and use fetches for the rest of your duals.

I find myself feeling that there is not currently a creature that does what we want for the Veteran Armorer ability. I'm back on Honor of the Pure. I have always used Enlightened Tutor, so this makes sense for me. A few things though:

1. I have never actually cast this card, or perhaps just once and it did not matter. Bottom line is that I do not actually know if it will be effective anti-hate.
    2. I can not think of a time in which I actually want to use Etutor for something that is not a hate piece, and besides I do not bring in Etutor except against combo. Contrarily, Recruiters will be in the main, though I may take them out against combo. Not sure. But the idea is that this setup makes Honor of the Pure only useful against combo and not against other decks that will be bringing in the hate.
    3. I have not seen D+T pick up in numbers since the release of Recruiter and Prelate. Is this level of analysis premature?
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Aug 2014
    Central New York

I was going to PM @Medea and @Finn but there's no need to keep anything secret.

@Finn: We're not seeing the Conspiracy 2 cards in a lot of lists because they're too new. My last monthly fired off the weekend of Conspiracy 2.0 so nobody had the cards. It's a matter of them being so new that they're (still) hard to obtain at stores/trade for in the wild.

Aubert Arnaud and Brenden Chambers are onto something with 3x Recruiter. Not just because they made Top 8's, but also because I think 4x Recruiter is overkill for DnT. After goldfishing the opening 4 turns with many different permutations, the best lists allowed me to do something turn 1, 2, 3, and 4 and increase pressure rather consistently. 3 big takeaways from an outsider's perspective:
    a) You need white mana
    b) You need to keep the curve low (sequencing is very important)
    c) Get creatures with evasion or strong lockdown

Something that's not being discussed is the impact of both SFM and Recruiter in the 60 together. Sure, their ceilings are high. Christmasland with them is awesome. But the floor is very low. Running 6-8x SFM and Recruiters translates into 23%-30.7% of your 26 creatures doing very little by themselves on the table. Until that equipment or friend joins the party, you've got yourself a durdle.

I'm surprised nobody is looking at Leonin Arbiter / Ethersworn Canonist / Containment Priest maindeck (except the one person a few pages ago who had a singleton CP). Those cards are very oppressive for the opponent to deal with and even as a 1x in the deck, still give you consistency with Recruiter.

In terms of constructing the complete list, I feel lists are too heavy with three drops. 12 or 13 three drops is just too many. I wonder if it's possible to run under 10x three drop creatures. Although those three drops are VERY strong, I keep coming back to the idea that "less is more". I don't want unplayable hands because my creatures cost WW but my lands are stuck on [colorless][colorless]. This is my mono colored list I'm still fooling around with. There's only so much deviation between what everyone is running.

Business (11)
    4 STP
    4 Vial
    1 Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire/Ice
    1 Batterskull

Creatures (26)
    3 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Serra Avenger
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Revoker #3 / Containment Priest #1 / Leonin Arbiter #1

4 Flickerwisp
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    3 Sanctum Prelate or Thalia 2.0, but probably not both in the main (would love to see what others think)

Lands (23)
    1 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    11 Plains (maybe 10 + 1 Horizon Canopy)

1cc = 11
    2cc = 14 (faux 15 if you count batterskull from SFM as 2)
    3cc = 11 (10 dudes, 1 equip)
    5cc = 1
    ww cost = either 7x (Thalia 2.0's) or 10x (Prelates)
    lands = I cannot play multiple Caverns without ruining my potential for WW

Additional Flex
    *Mirran Crusader...by default he's not in my list. I feel 3x Avengers give me the evasion and "upside with equipment" I need. Avenger is better against Delver. Avenger's vigilance is nothing to scoff at. Crusader has a better Christmasland scenario, but if you have him equipped on a functionally "open" table it's already GG.
    *Banisher Priest...Finn is probably correct about there being a need to run a single spot-removal-with-legs. I think Containment Priest main fills that spot for most of the Zeniths/Sneaks/Show and Tells/Reanimator crap. She comes out a turn faster. Stuff is exiled forever, even if she dies. Only gets worse for the opponent if Flickerwisp is in the mix as well. The only upside of banisher is that I can still use Vial once it's out.
    *Magus of the Moon....sooo tempting, but the manabase needs to be there. I'm not having luck. I'd need to convert to a true Wr manabase with fetches and duals.
    *Ethersworn Canonist....it's an option maindeck. Turns off cantrips and combo game 1.
    *Leonin Arbiter....backbreaking when it lands. Better than Mindcensor's effect. Not sure if I want it in the main or not.
    *Kitchen Finks....really underappreciated. Chunks for days, gains life, has recursion. Fast metas would like him
    *Fiendslayer....Need the room to be delver and red. Very narrow
    *Knight of the Reliquary...I'd consider her in mono or dual colored lists. The times she's out on the table, you more or less win.

@Finn
    Agreed that we don't have a good creature-based option for the slot. I like Gideon well enough. It's slow, but it has strong applications in the Shardless matchups while dodging decay. That's good enough for me.

Also, D&T is certainly picking up in popularity. We've only had a few events, but if you look at the floor of a tournament, trade threads, and the overall trend of discussions on places like /r/mtglegacy, it's very clear there is a strong increase in D&T stemming from a combination of greater card availability and the new cards.

@Warden
    Leonin Arbiter is symmetrical. If we are playing both Recruiter and SFM, that hurts us quite a bit. That's my biggest knock on what you were saying.

As far as the other stuff goes, I've actually gotten a handful of email with lists from various players, and Canonist and Containment Priest are suggested quite a bit. Here was my reply to one of them:

"I dislike both Priest and Canonist in maindeck slots. Prior to Recruiter, I had tried both many times and cut them every time. Most of the matchups that a Canonist would win you on the spot (TES, ANT, Oops All Spells, Tin Fins, High Tide), a Thalia will as well in most cases if you are looking for a tutor target. Priest is fine, but if I want something to tutor for against Elves, THC is good enough; if you made it to turn 3+ against most graveyard decks without them having a real board position, you've probably already won anyway. To their merit, they are two drops with more than one toughness though, so I can see the appeal."

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

@Warden: I don't think you need 3 Serra Avengers. I was always fine with 2 copies even pre-Recruiter, and now we can fetch an army of Flickerwisps with it. I would rather have a 4th copy of Thalia 1.0 or a 3 mana utility creature instead.

As for the KotR suggestion, I dunno. Once active, it's a very powerful effect, but D&T wants impact on the board asap instead of durdling for a turn.

I'd probably go with something similiar to your list, with some modifications:

1-2 Cavern of Souls
    3 Karakas
    4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    11-10 Plains (maybe 1 Canopy)

3 Mother of Runes
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    3 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Serra Avenger
    3 Flickerwisp
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar (one could be replaced by a Crusader or Banisher Priest if the meta calls for it; same goes for the Avenger slots)

4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Aether Vial
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

So is 3x Mom acceptable, or is this more of a test-run? Is 3 Revoker the preference of most DnT players? I've had them be dead weight in my meta, but it's also pretty underdeveloped at the moment, and not blue at all. Batterskull in the main is also something I'm on the fence about.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Aug 2014
    Central New York

Barook, thanks man. I'll take the Avenger advice based on your experiences.
    For me, the 3x Thalia is because I flood when she's at 4. It's a maverick and DNT problem. 3 means she comes up just enough.

I go back and forth on 3 vs 4 flickerwisp. 4 is so synergistic with the deck I'm hard pressed to shave it down. You're probably correct in having the 2:2 of Prelate and THC because of it though. I expect lots of Sneak Show, DRS decks, Delver, and Nic Fit. Can't decide whether I should focus on THC or Prelate.

@3 Mom: I have experience running her at 3 or 4. Unless I see tons of fair decks tomorrow, I think you can shave the slot down to 3. I'd rather have an additional 2 drop over believing 4 mom is a staple decision.

Apr 2014
    Madrid, Spain

Hi guys!

Long time without posting. In part because of some disagreements with some users, but the truth is that what I red after that point here didn’t help to keep me writing. You know, users that write without any thinking before write, people posting unplayable cards (Is it white and tutorable? Let’s post it, it’s free!), some lists with no sense or just 0 tested… Please, think twice what some of you’re going to write. This is directed to some Salvation users as well… Let’s post as this deck and starter players deserves!

So now, with our new toys and fresh testing by my part, I wanna share some thoughts with the aim of finding balanced lists. As all “new decks” we’ll need some time to acclimatize new cards to the deck and format, but I think this deck could be potentially the best deck in the format besides Miracles by far.

When I saw both new cards, my first thought was that I wanna play those guys added to that the time of old Imperial Taxes was over IMO. But I was scared with the idea of change the list and the philosophy too much. I asked myself a lot of times “is the deck that bad now to change it radically?”. And the answer was NO. It was tier 1 last months, fought everything if you played properly and one of the keys was our sacred philosophy obviously. I don’t know you, but I don’t wanna play something similar to Goblins or Merfolks… just creatures with little sense... Don’t forget that the real ideas of the deck are efficiency, disruption and pressure.

And because of this, I was surprised by the desire of some of you to change some aspects of the deck to bring in some new cards, starting with Thalia, Heretic Cathar. I understand that some of you need constantly playing new cards to avoid falling into boredom I imagine, I don’t know, but this deck has a pretty clear core and very few cards could fit this engine, as it happens with others like RUG Delver. So the best thing you can do is build a list that is comfortable for you and test it a lot, because not every white card would be frequently in D&T lists…

IMHO Thalia 2.0 is not enough for a deck that will play her on T3 as earliest, when with D&T you had to do an important part of your game a turn, or even two earlier to win it. After those critical turns the play is just race pretty often. So for me she just satisfy the principle of disruption, and being really situational… Because she’s not my ideal of efficiency and pressure, and does not contribute with something new like card quality, late-game bomb or card advantage. I could see her in prison decks like Eldrazi & Taxes or just in a deck like Maverick, in which you could play her T2 with DRS/Noble/Arbor T1, but not here. And it’s more incomprehensible for me to run a single copy to search with Recruiter of the Guard: Adding more inconsistency, you’ll run a card that will be dead draw more often than a useful tool to search for. Other thought I’ve red here is that “she’s pretty strong vs Delver”. Okey, I think if you need Thalia 2.0 to crush Delver decks you’ve a serious problem. You have infinite tools to win here more complete for the deck and versatile as well, not counting those that you’re already running. More thoughts about her are like “she improves a lot the Elves matchup”. Well, it’s probably true, but you’ll keep losing against your worst matchup. It’s a nightmare. You’ll be exposed to a Natural Order win as usual because you’re not able to win before them or fight each tool that enables them the combo or make card advantage with any kind of decent sweeper, that are the plans other archetypes adopt.

I’m resigned with this matchup. I think is probably a waste of slots and resources to focus on it. Every single deck in Legacy has one/two horrible matchups, and ours is Elves. I think is better accept it than build a list thinking on it.

Well, one of my favorites moments… Flickerwisp time. I really enjoy when I see some lists that are posted since the released of our new toys... Really are you playing less than 4 copies? Really?? This absolutely has no sense to me. I really think that you want to put more difficult for yourself. Our more operative creature to close games, our beater, our FoW sometimes, a card that is fine against Delver, Omniscience decks, heavy-removal decks, useful to reset Batterskull or Cavern of Souls, to get card advantage of our search cards… and now our more often Recruiter of the Guard target, our way to win through an absurd combo… and much more... and less than 4!? I’ve always thought this was a bad movement, but now seems like a joke honestly, and of course I don’t want to offend anyone with my words, but I think with my playmat I leave my position very clear...

Same I can say for Mother of Runes. She is fantastic, really useful, sometimes just the game against a large portion of the metagame, but now we’ll run just 3 copies because of Eldrazi? Why not look the other 90% of the metagame? I was referring to ours 1CMC cards mainly when I was talking about efficiency. A card that just seeing the game can win it for you. A card that makes that if you opponent does not kill before she can be active he’ll be in problems and you’ll get card advantage if he want to kill her lately. Fantastic against Bolt decks, that we’ll see more often now with UR Delver. Same for the mirror, key card there… Same as with Flickerwisp. I don’t understand the desire to change the core that have win you so many games and still doing it.

Ok, so I’ve touched only a few issues about specific build decisions, but now I want to post my current decklist, some results on my online testing and a short sideboarding guide of it, maybe not quite optimal, because I’m still working on it.

Well, the list is not too common as I can see, but I don’t want to run something much different to what I was playing, with what I was doing well, known great the matchups against tier decks with it.

What I want is a main list that has a clear and relatively unified plan to win games pre-board. Going ahead. Disruption + clock. Without a lot of 3CMC drops, without a lot of silver bullets that you’ll search once in your lifetime, thinking on draw hate pieces (Thalia and Revoker) instead of search for it against combo decks that don’t give you time to do so (this is Legacy!). Just good cards that are usually fine draws but that in certain matchups I wanna search for. Because of this no single creatures maindeck. What I want to search is usually fine to draw. This is my philosophy for a consistent Aether Vial deck. Again, I have no absolute truth of course. It’s fine and pretty normal to disagree in some aspects. Otherwise, this would be boring!

DEATH & TAXES

MAINDECK:

4 x Mother of Runes
    4 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 x Stoneforge Mystic
    3 x Phyrexian Revoker
    3 x Serra Avenger
    4 x Flickerwisp
    2 x Recruiter of the Guard
    2 x Mirran Crusader

4 x Aether Vial
    4 x Swords to Plowshares
    1 x Batterskull
    1 x Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 x Umezawa's Jitte

4 x Wasteland
    4 x Rishadan Port
    6 x Plains
    4 x Flagstones of Trokair
    3 x Karakas
    2 x Cavern of Souls

SIDEBOARD:

1 x Path to Exile
    2 x Council's Judgment
    1 x Cataclysm
    1 x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    2 x Pithing Needle
    2 x Sanctum Prelate
    2 x Ethersworn Canonist
    3 x Rest in Peace
    1 x Sword of War and Peace

After the maindeck, a pretty usual sideboard to fight the best and most played decks. Similar to what I was playing before Conspiracy 2.

I like to keep me running Flagstones of Trokair and Sword of War and Peace as preventing a new metagame as well. I mean, they’re good tools to fight Massacre, and mirror/Stoneblade decks respectively.

Both Crusaders support what I was commenting. It’s find draw one against a plenty of decks. When they’re not just a higher clock, they can hold Gurmag Angler, Batterskull token, Thought-Knot Seer or just small creatures plus Jitte. In addition, equipped is another combo we have in. But I don’t like a single copy because you’ll search for him just against BGx based decks, and against them a single Crusader is not enough sometimes because of red spot removal or just sweepers, and I don’t think I want to search for him to crush with him equipped. It’s too slow and not surprise anyone, that is the good point when you win through it. So I think 2 is still being ok. Maindeck or a split, but you’ll want to draw him a lot. Just between tier 1 decks he’s fine against all of them: Shardless BUG, Miracles, Eldrazi, Grixis Delver and D&T mirror. They was good for me months ago with 4 of them as you can see, so I’m still playing a Crusader based list.

Serra Avenger compensates what you’re losing with Recruiter of the Guard. Power against Delver, evasion, tools to hold a game to win some turns later, ability to run. And, at the same time, they hold 2CMC density of the deck, making the deck less dependant on Aether Vial on 3. Going ahead, losing little time on search creatures (at least early, you keep the capacity of draw a BOMB! Recruiter of the Guard on late game if needed), this is my maindeck gameplan.

I keep Cataclysm in my board because as my maindeck is relatively straight, I like to have some additional resources post-board to include a large amount of decks. I think a reset button is really useful, especially facing Miracles, Shardless and Lands, and I like a lot games when you’re holding resources in hand or just conditioning the game to reset with Cataclysm and keep yourself leading. I really enjoy this secondary plan. A really powerful tool and now underrated, when it should be the opposite. Now that we have better tools to fight other things we can dedicate one/two slots on win games out of our control, returning them to our “fair side”.

Here is some testing online I’ve annotated with new cards. 30-6 in rounds to my favor. Here are the overall games:

BRUG Delver (both versions) 12 - 5
    Shardless BUG 10 - 1
    UWR Miracles 8 - 2
    ANT 5 - 3
    4C Loam 3 - 2
    Merfolks 3 - 2
    Death & Taxes 2 - 2
    Sneak & Show 2 - 2
    Eldrazi 2 - 1
    Bant DeathBlade 2 - 1
    Mono-Red Sneak Attack 1 - 2
    BUG Delver 2 - 0
    RUG Delver 2 - 0
    UR Delver 2 - 0
    Infect 2 - 0
    RG Lands 2 - 0
    Dragon Stompy 2 - 0
    Reanimator 2 - 0

I’ve played a couple of local tournaments as well with them, but results were pretty mediocre. Around 70 rounds played overall between online, events and physical testing.

I’ve really felt that Grixis Delver, Shardless and Miracles are really good matchups, especially Miracles. It was my biggest surprise. It seems like maindeck could be 50%-50% in the best case for them, but post-board it rounds 60%-40% in our favor, at least with my list. I think without Avengers the Delver matchup could be really really close, and it’s easy end losing by their sideboard hate.

Here is my short sideboard guide (by now):

UWR MIRACLES

+2 x Council's Judgment
    +1 x Cataclysm
    +1 x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    +2 x Sanctum Prelate
    +1 x Sword of War and Peace
    ------------------------------
    -1 x Mother of Runes
    -1 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -1 x Flickerwisp
    -1 x Mirran Crusader
    -4 x Swords to Plowshares
    -1 x Umezawa's Jitte

SHARDLESS BUG

+2 x Council's Judgment
    +1 x Cataclysm
    +3 x Rest in Peace
    -4 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -2 x Phyrexian Revoker
    -1 x Umezawa's Jitte

GRIXIS DELVER (OTD)

+1 x Path to Exile
    +1 x Council's Judgment
    +2 x Sanctum Prelate
    +2 x Rest in Peace
    -1 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -3 x Phyrexian Revoker
    -2 x Recruiter of the Guard

DEATH & TAXES

+1 x Path to Exile
    +2 x Council's Judgment
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    -4 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -1 x Mirran Crusader
    -1 x Sword of Fire and Ice

ELDRAZI

+1 x Path to Exile
    +2 x Council's Judgment
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    -4 x Mother of Runes
    -2 x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    -1 x Sword of Fire and Ice

STORM

+2 x Pithing Needle
    +2 x Sanctum Prelate
    +2 x Ethersworn Canonist
    +3 x Rest in Peace
    -1 x Plains
    -4 x Flickerwisp
    -1 x Umezawa’s Jitte

RG LANDS

+1 x Cataclysm
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    +2 x Sanctum Prelate
    +3 x Rest in Peace
    -1 x Phyrexian Revoker
    -2 x Mirran Crusader
    -1 x Umezawa’s Jitte

INFECT

+1 x Path to Exile
    +2 x Council’s Judgment
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    +2 x Ethersworn Canonist
    -3 x Phyrexian Revoker
    -2 x Flickerwisp
    -1 x Recruiter of the Guard
    -1 x Batterskull

Yeah, I know, board plans are debatable here. I am searching for optimal boardings on Recruiter of the Guard lists. Testing will tell me. For now, I am often following this, but there are moments in which I change at the moment. That’s magic.

Please feedback! And sorry for my english!
    In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except DEATH & TAXES

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Koke_MTG View Post
    STORM
    +2 x Pithing Needle
    Wait, what? What are you hoping to stop with this? Their fetches? Post-board Top?

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Wait, what? What are you hoping to stop with this? Their fetches? Post-board Top?
    Classics. LED and Petal obviously.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    Classics. LED and Petal obviously.
    Pithing Needle isn't Revoker. LED and Petal are both mana abilities. And yes, LED is also a mana ability, despite its weird timing restriction.

Activated abilities of sources with the chosen name can't be activated unless they're mana abilities.
    Needle can hit lands, but not mana abilities.
    Revoker can hit mana abilities, but not lands.

Rather easy to remember.

WTP's Choice
    Aug 2010
    Berlin, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Pithing Needle isn't Revoker. LED and Petal are both mana abilities. And yes, LED is also a mana ability, despite its weird timing restriction.

Needle can hit lands, but not mana abilities.
    Revoker can hit mana abilities, but not lands.

Rather easy to remember.
    I guess you don't follow the Storm threads too much, Barook.
    WantToPonder
    former: Team SpasticalAction & Team RugStar Berlin
    Team MTG Berlin

Quote Originally Posted by guillemnicolau View Post
    Since the print of dark petition grim tutor hasn't seen play in legacy (not in competitive decks).
    Quote Originally Posted by THerzog41 View Post
    I believe Maverick is still the best deck in the format and definitely the most underrated deck in the format.
    The Dragonstorm
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...he-Dragonstorm

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CabalTherapy View Post
    I guess you don't follow the Storm threads too much, Barook.
    Obviously not, and the mistake is too common among new players to understand such insider jokes.

On a different note: Has anybody seriously tested Palace Jailer yet, at least as a SB card? I'm very intestered in actual playtesting results, not just dismissive handwaving because it costs 4 mana.

Apr 2014
    Madrid, Spain

I think we've talked about this in other sideboard plans. It's obvious that Needles are for fetchlands here, especially for Deltas, but now the most played list runs 4 Misty as well (Togores' decklist). It's a matchup in which you go for their mana resources desperately (Thalia, Revoker on LED, Waste, Port...). They're T1 interaction, that is something that we miss a lot here. Through them you can avoid a discard on your T2 hatebear or just the combo before it, and those are the best plans against us. It's neither the first nor the second time I've win thanks to a Needle and they've eaten an interesting quantity of Abrupt Decays as well.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Koke_MTG View Post
    I think we've talked about this in other sideboard plans. It's obvious that Needles are for fetchlands here, especially for Deltas, but now the most played list runs 4 Misty as well (Togores' decklist). It's a matchup in which you go for their mana resources desperately (Thalia, Revoker on LED, Waste, Port...). They're T1 interaction, that is something that we miss a lot here. Through them you can avoid a discard on your T2 hatebear or just the combo before it, and those are the best plans against us. It's neither the first nor the second time I've win thanks to a Needle and they've eaten an interesting quantity of Abrupt Decays as well.
    OK. I have seen enough. Pilots, don't do this. Do not bring in pithing needle against Storm.

Koke, there is a reason why Thalia, Heretic Cathar is so good, whether or not you can see it. I would certainly be playing three or four if we did not just get two bombs.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Jun 2010
    Central NY

I've also been considering going to 3 Thalia 1.0. I'd probably replace it with a 1-of Paladin en-Vec just to keep the first strike and gain some more natural protections vs. bad matchups. I've also been considering Devout Lightcaster and Mystic Crusader. The Paladin seems better maindeck than the other two though.

Also, as a more or less former storm player.......... Needle is a dead card. Revoker is much better, but I've pretty much written off the storm matchup. If for some reason they kept a slow hand you got a shot, but once they see you're on D&T they'll mull to fast hands. I played against Cook in a GPQ and I put it like this: 'Either you got it and you win, or you don't got it and I get to play Magic'

On another note, I played with Recruiter for the first time last night. Opener had Recruiter and Stoneforge and I got lucky enough to assemble Mirran Crusader with War & Peace. He was at 20 with a 6 card hand. XD

Apr 2014
    Madrid, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    OK. I have seen enough. Pilots, don't do this. Do not bring in pithing needle against Storm.
    And because of things like this, is a waste of time to write here... A 3 pages article by this... OMG, nice arguments!

Well, this isn't the place to publish an article... and honestly, what do you expect when you recommend a nonsensical strategy? It's bad advice, no matter the length of post.

Apr 2014
    Madrid, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Well, this isn't the place to publish an article... and honestly, what do you expect when you recommend a nonsensical strategy? It's bad advice, no matter the length of post.

How much time have you spent testing the nonsensical strategy...? Great!

Thread Information